Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The all-encompassing Garbage Pail Kid Thread (All Eras)

Are these latest cards refreshes of some of the old GPK cards from back in the 80s or is there new artwork in this series?

I just completed my vintage GPK collection a couple of years ago, but got disappointed by the new cards once they started to refresh the older cards and put out fewer and fewer band new cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    Are these latest cards refreshes of some of the old GPK cards from back in the 80s or is there new artwork in this series?

I just completed my vintage GPK collection a couple of years ago, but got disappointed by the new cards once they started to refresh the older cards and put out fewer and fewer band new cards.
    Yes, there is new artwork.

I actually just started collecting the Flashback series 3 a week or so ago. I bought about 20 packs total. Within those packs I had enough variant silver, pink, green, and Adam mania cards to trade for everything I needed to complete Series 3...AS WELL AS enough to trade for a COMPLETE Series 1 and 2. Thank goodness for Garbage Pail Kids Underground

Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    I bought some at meijers yesterday pretty cool but how many posters are there? I have two and would be willing to trade them for others I may want.
    I have "Up Chuck" and "Sally Suction" posters from Target packs.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; November 14, 2011 at 01:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I have upchuck and snooty sam.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post

Its actually a mix, there are new cards in each series. The new cards consist of new cards (like the card mocking Lady Gaga), ones that were banned originally in the 80's by TOPPS (the dead Lincoln one comes to mind), where are they now cards which show you what happened to your favorite characters (and on the back it shows the original card).

Not to mention the random sketch cards that are really hard to get, all of which are completely original and unduplicated artwork (there only exists 1 of each sketch). We were lucky and got a sketch card for FB2 in our Hobby Case we bought.

I mean there is not going to be any completely new series because part of the appeal is the nostalgia factor
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its actually a mix, there are new cards in each series. The new cards consist of new cards (like the card mocking Lady Gaga), ones that were banned originally in the 80's by TOPPS (the dead Lincoln one comes to mind), where are they now cards which show you what happened to your favorite characters (and on the back it shows the original card).
    This is good to know. Now that I know that there is new artwork, I'm more likely to pick these up. Now if only I can find them where I live. I'll probably have to drive up to Raleigh to find them.

Heroic Warrior
    My impression is that they are taking the characters that would have been vintage series #17(?) and putting them into these flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    My impression is that they are taking the characters that would have been vintage series #17(?) and putting them into these flashbacks.
    That is part of it, but new ones like the Lady Gaga one are obviously a new thing in the last 2 years. The ANS had more of the characters that would been in the vintage series

The artist who did a lot of Garbage Pail Kids (John Pound) has the original art for the banned cards for sale, Lincoln for example was omitted from Series 3 and Series 5, so Flashback is getting some REALLY old cards that were never released

It really is a mix of ones that were denied 20 years ago, reprints, updates (where are they now) and completely new ones. Of course its going to be heavier on the reprints since its a nostalgia based series
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

All I know is that I am LOVING them! I never collected any as a kid, though my neighbor did, and I am enjoying collecting them.

Anyone know if there will be a Series 4?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I am pretty sure there will be, the cards are selling out all over and TOPPS is having trouble keeping up with orders. FB1 was the test, it passed with flying colors.

Its hard to say though because TOPPS does kind of like Mattel where a major retailer orders x amount of cards and TOPPS chooses what they get. So if they REALLY like GPK and order a nice amount they could get stuck with Wacky Packages

But the sales are strong and as long as they have cards to reprint the series should go for at least another 3-7 series.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    All I know is that I am LOVING them! I never collected any as a kid, though my neighbor did, and I am enjoying collecting them.

Don't know. Haven't read anything. But it's to early to tell. It's all about sales. if it sells well then there will I would guess.

But the sales are strong and as long as they have cards to reprint the series should go for at least another 3-7 series.
    by then all the previously unrelease would be gone. But that means more room for all new ones. or reprints or both. either way is fine with me but I think I'd prefere all new ones.

Garbage Pail Kids officially back, Brand New Series 1 coming fall, Series 2 Spring

After a few series of Flashback it seems Topps has newfound faith in the property

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/04/...-cards-of-old/

Topps is returning this year with a new series of Garbage Pail Kids.

The last original series came out in 2007, according to Topps Editor Colin Walton. Since then, Topps has produced Garbage Pail Kids Flashbacks, reliving some of the old cards we loved as children.

The new set is going to be fun and inspired by the cards of old.

Were trying to keep the art and type of jokes more similar to the original 80s cards, Walton said. The Flashbacks do really well for us. I liked the old feel.
    Images of some of the new designs at the link

That is REALLY cool! Glad to hear they are coming out with a new series! I stopped collecting them because I already spend WAY TOO MUCH $$$ on toys and collectibles.

Great stuff. I'm liking the samples they're showing.

Heroic Warrior
    Nice.

I assume those images are/will be the cards/stickers for series 8? and if that is the case are they ready to go? Will wee see them June or July?

Nice.

I assume those images are/will be the cards/stickers for series 8? and if that is the case are they ready to go? Will wee see them June or July?
    Yes those are from series 8, we should see them by summer or at the latest fall. They will come up for solicitation shortly I believe

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Those look pretty sweet! Hope I stumble upon them sometime once they're out.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Awesome!

I am happy to see they stayed true to the original artwork and didn't try some "reboot" on them!!

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    I was a concept artist on ALL NEW SERIES 3 (if anyone cares, lol!)
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

I really wish that these were easier to find here (Ontario, Canada).
    I did manage to pick up some when I was last in the US.

This is good to know. For a while, I was back into collecting GPK and managed to get most of the old series - except a US version of Series 1. I collected the new series, but it became a lot cheaper to buy an entire set off of eBay than try and collect a whole set.

Once the flashback series came out, I sorta' drifted away from it, but an all-new series 8 is welcome news.

Heroic Warrior
    I picked up the July 2012 issue of Previews (TMNT on front/DCnU 52 Superman issue #0 Cover) and on page 376 (trading card (orange) section) there is a solicit for "Garabage Pail Kids Series 1 Stickers".

I'm not going to retype the solicit but they are $2.09 a pack and and will be out in September. The sticker they show is "D. Jay"

Additional:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/23620.html

Ooops! I Didn't mean to September.
    Last edited by midor; August 8, 2012 at 10:30am. Reason: new news

They just came out this week, Walmart seems to have gotten them first (we are still waiting on a hobby case order)

We picked up 10 packs, they are really nice and remind me more of the 80's series then the relaunch in the 2000's

Heroic Warrior
    they are really nice and remind me more of the 80's series then the relaunch in the 2000's

I want to say I read something saying that's what they was going to do. Make this set more like the 80's.

I want to say I read something saying that's what they was going to do. Make this set more like the 80's.
    Yeah I am sure the success of the Flashback series which celebrated the 80's cards pushed them. I am glad because this series does not seem to have the stupid gimmick stuff that the 2000's series had

Heroic Warrior