Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU 1987 Movie Blu-ray coming!

I thought bluray was region free? I have foreign disks that play in my ps3.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by karg182 View Post
    Ooh! An alternative ending! I bet it's going to be minimally different seeing as according to the documentary except I saw on YouTube, by the time they were finishing the ending they were literally packing up as the film was effectively canned! What does 'new 2k budget' refer to? Does that relate to what they've spent on remastering the movie?
    Goddard talked a bit about the alternate ending (if it's the one they are including) that the studio made him cut. It sounded very interesting, so I hope this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    I thought bluray was region free? I have foreign disks that play in my ps3.
    Some blu-ray is, some isn't. I don't really understand the ins and outs of it. But I have gotten some pretty inexpensive foreign blu-ray sets and they work fine. I got the Alien Quadrology set that way because the packaging was nicer. But some explicitly say they won't work and are region coded. I've never tested it out to see if it was true or not, though.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Can't wait till tomorrow for the release day! Going to watch it with my tv up-converting it to 3D!

Drewsky...

EDIT: I just noticed, Cyborg, the re-written movie that was supposed to be the sequel, is being released on blu-ray tomorrow too.
    Last edited by Drewsky; October 1, 2012 at 07:15pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

super excited here too!
    we're having a party over it at my house... in addition to my wife and girls, the wife has alaso invited a few friends over, AND my dad (since he took me to the theater in 1987 to originally see it!... how cool!) also, she's got some sort of "surprise" foodstuffs planned as well. *smile* should be a fun time!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    also, she's got some sort of "surprise" foodstuffs planned as well. *smile*
    Robbie's Ribs?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Robbie's Ribs?
    How barbaric!

Just picked up my copy.... Sadly, there is no mention of an alternate ending in the special features listed on the back. I won't be able to check the actual disc until I get home, but I am not holding my breath about it being included...

Sallah
    Last edited by Sallah; October 2, 2012 at 12:54pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    The release does not include the alternate ending. It only has the same features as the DVD-- Gary Goddard's commentary and the trailer.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Got it from Amazon a second ago. Its definitely a cheapy release. Even the menu is a bog-standard template. No mention on the package of it being any sort of anniversary release. No extra special features.

The picture does look good though. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is from the DVD as I don't have that though.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    How barbaric!
    Never think while you eat.

Got mine today...... small notes ....

Commentary is ported over from the original dvd, the trailer is ported too, its standard def..... and REALLY doesnt look that good.

The blu-ray cover is ..... meh.... wish they woulda used the painted photo from the vhs, but whatever, it woulda helped sales IMO. The disc is beautiful however, all black with a chrome MOTU logo.

The picture quality is nice. No doubt a step up from the dvd, but not what I would consider a HUGE difference. Its 1080p for sure and helps bring out the details cleanly, but the picture has a bit of grain to it, not in a bad way, not in a good way. Im happy they didnt use DNR cause that usually looks like crap if over applied,but its a small movie for a small group. Its nicely presented and still light years better than the dvd. Id say 8/10.

The old bio section of the dvd isnt here nor is the menu with the animated sword. The menu here is ULTRA generic and looks terrible. Buy it for the film and commentary, thats all. Now for the audio......... my god..... perfect. Sounds AMAZING. Really a clean feed and nicely blasts through my soundbar and subs!

The trailer is nice, but REALLY coulda used the other trailers to help pad it out and make it feel special.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I would love to see comparison pictures of the DVD vs the Blu-Ray vs the HD version someone said has been playing on TV.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Don't have mine yet but it's been dispatched to the uk. I'm excited as I hadn't yet replaced the DVD version my sister stole years ago! It's just a shame they scrimped out on making this an A+ release IMO. The alternative ending would have been great to see, but they're giving us my favourite movie ever in 1080p and seem to have spent some money and time on getting it looking nicer so that's a good thing. Maybe this will pave the way for an ultimate edition ins new movie year or something.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I got my copy yesterday. One of the first things I noticed is on the back..."Castle of Greyskull."
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Never think while you eat.

Got mine today...... small notes ....

Commentary is ported over from the original dvd, the trailer is ported too, its standard def..... and REALLY doesnt look that good.

The blu-ray cover is ..... meh.... wish they woulda used the painted photo from the vhs, but whatever, it woulda helped sales IMO. The disc is beautiful however, all black with a chrome MOTU logo.

The picture quality is nice. No doubt a step up from the dvd, but not what I would consider a HUGE difference. Its 1080p for sure and helps bring out the details cleanly, but the picture has a bit of grain to it, not in a bad way, not in a good way. Im happy they didnt use DNR cause that usually looks like crap if over applied,but its a small movie for a small group. Its nicely presented and still light years better than the dvd. Id say 8/10.

The old bio section of the dvd isnt here nor is the menu with the animated sword. The menu here is ULTRA generic and looks terrible. Buy it for the film and commentary, thats all. Now for the audio......... my god..... perfect. Sounds AMAZING. Really a clean feed and nicely blasts through my soundbar and subs!

The trailer is nice, but REALLY coulda used the other trailers to help pad it out and make it feel special.
    watched mine last night as well and agree, it does not look great. Very cheap, no features. I am still happy since my DVD was MIA.

I thought the invasion scenes in particular were super grainy. The sound was great though! Wish we would have gotten the featurette or alternate ending.

Although the cover doesn't say 25th anniversary, my PS3 recognized the blu-ray title as MOTU: 25th Anniversary edition. Thats about the extent of it.

had our viewing party last night! my wife had a shirt made for me as a surprise i've been wanting (skelly and the entire evil warriors crew from filmation on the front, with "you'll have to do better than that" on the back), AND she bought me one of those he-man cake pans from the eighties, and baked a fun-fetti cake in it, AND she made "he-man shield" pizzas, AND she used my 80s he-man candy molds and made white, dark, and milk chocolate candies on sticks for everyone (which she called "good journey treats".) LOL! awesome!!!!
    as for the blu-ray itself... yes, it stinks it's such a bare-bones release, BUT it is a noticeable upgrade. the sound, as noted, is awesome!; and the picture sharpness and clarity is definitely better than the dvd. i agree that some scenes are abit "extra" grainy, but i'm guessing that's more attributable to the original film, as it's in scenes where there is smoke, etc effects. anyway, we had a good time, and now we have a version that looks and sounds better to watch over and over with my girls! (lol... we'd already watched the dvd about 4 times in the last month and a half!)

I have to order mine through amazon... my Future Shop nor does Wal*Mart have any left here.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

I got my blu ray copy of the movie yesterday as well. When I got to the store yesterday, I was going in "hoping" that this release would have the alternate ending and maybe along with other features as well. I admit I am disappointed that there are no addition special features in the disc, with the exception of the audio commentary, and trailer....However, like others have said here, I am pleased with the picture quality the movie is presented in, and the sound to me is very good as well. So if anything I'm glad to have this as part of my growing, but still small collection of blu rays. And on a side note, I'm also very proud to own the VHS, and standard dvd and now along with the blu ray version of the movie. That in itself, is worth the price.

LONG LIVE MOTU/MOTUC'S

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I got my copy yesterday. One of the first things I noticed is on the back..."Castle of Greyskull."
    So basically even text from DVD release was copied onto this?
    (as with exact same "features" of the trailer and director's audio-commentary)

yeahh I found the alternative ending ! haha

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

What's the alternate ending that everyone is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    watched mine last night as well and agree, it does not look great. Very cheap, no features. I am still happy since my DVD was MIA.

I thought the invasion scenes in particular were super grainy. The sound was great though! Wish we would have gotten the featurette or alternate ending.

Although the cover doesn't say 25th anniversary, my PS3 recognized the blu-ray title as MOTU: 25th Anniversary edition. Thats about the extent of it.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunch1982 View Post
    What's the alternate ending that everyone is talking about?
    It is not an alternate ending. It is an extended ending. Julie gives an individual goodbye to each of the heroes.

Heroic Warrior
    So is there anything actually new that isn't already on the dvd?

Thanks! Anybody have a pic of the back of the Blu-Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    So is there anything actually new that isn't already on the dvd?

blu-ray.com review:

Masters of the Universe Blu-ray Review

How a Line of Toys Became a Film (No, Not THAT One)

Reviewed by Michael Reuben, October 4, 2012

Masters of the Universe was a critical and box office failure, but its reputation has grown in the past twenty-five years among a discriminating and increasingly influential base, namely, comic book fans. First-time feature director Gary Goddard admired the work of legendary Marvel artist Jack Kirby, and he intended Masters as a tribute to the great illustrator, even including a dedication to Kirby in the credits (though it was removed by the film's production company). At the time, devoted fans of the Masters comics criticized Goddard and screenwriter David Odell (Supergirl, The Dark Crystal) for various departures from the original stories, but as Goddard explains in the accompanying commentary, he had neither the budget nor the technology to realize a live-action version of many of the comics' signature elements, such as the levitating character Orko (who today would be CGI). Instead, Goddard looked to Kirby for inspiration. Even though Kirby never drew Masters, he has long been regarded as one of the most cinematic among comic book artists. Goddard even tried to get the studio, Cannon Films, to let him hire Kirby as a conceptual artist, but Cannon refused.

The standard explanation for the film's failure is that the popularity of both the toys and the comics had peaked by the time of its release in 1987. If that's the case, then the film prolonged and even revived the franchise's popularity through the staying power that has us today marking the twenty-fifth anniversary of the film's release. Goddard may have been a first-time director, but his vision was strong enough to get everyone on the same page, which is a director's essential job. The result was a unique mixture of comic book pulp and live action cheese, anchored by a memorable portrait of villainy in Frank Langella's Skeletor. Dolph Lundgren, who must have relished the opportunity to play the hero after his role as the Russian boxer in Rocky IV, balanced Langella's theatrical turn by obeying the classic command of "less is more". It's an especially useful approach when one is still struggling with a thick Swedish accent.

The peaceful planet of Eternia lies in ruins, victim of a sneak attack by the forces of the evil Skeletor (Langella, delivering his ripely intense performance from within a full skull mask designed by Michael Westmore, future creator of Star Trek's many aliens). The secret of Skeletor's attack is a cosmic "key" invented by Gwildor (Billy Barty, the accomplished little person who would be instantly recognizable from his many roles if not for the immense prosthetic appliances). Gwildor's key is capable of opening doorways to any place or time, and it allowed Skeletor's forces to infiltrate Eternia's fortress, Castle Grayskull, undetected, after Gwildor was tricked into building it by Skeletor's henchwoman, Evil-Lyn (Meg Foster, channeling Lady Macbeth).

Skeletor has imprisoned Eternia's protector, a Sorceress (Christina Pickles), within Castle Grayskull and is draining her power. Eternia's only hope is the people's champion, He-Man (Lundgren), aided by a trusty man-at-arms, Duncan (Jon Cypher), and his battle-hardened daughter, Teela (Chelsea Field). But first they have to rescue Gwildor, whose prototype of the cosmic key is the only way they can gain access to Castle Grayskull in time.

That's the basic setup, but what fun would it be if earthlings weren't involved? Ambushed during their attempt to rescue the Sorceress, the rebel band flees through a door that Gwildor randomly opens, and they land in small-town America, where they become entangled with future stars of Friends and Star Trek: Voyager. If for no other reason, one should see Masters of the Universe to watch Courtney Cox, fresh off her famous "Dancing in the Dark" video with Bruce Springsteen, and Robert Duncan McNeill, eight years before he became Starfleet Lt. Tom Paris, play troubled young lovers Julie and Kevin. (On the commentary track, Goddard is thankful for his casting luck.)

Recently orphaned after losing her parents in a plane crash, Julie is moving east to start over, even though she's still in love with Kevin, who plays keyboards in a local band. As they visit her parents' graves so that Julie can say goodbye, they find Gwildor's "key", which he dropped while falling to earth. Kevin is fascinated by its synthesizer-like tones, but little does he realize that activating the key has given Skeletor a fix on its position. Soon, all manner of creatures are arriving to attack them: first, animal-like assassins, followed by Evil-Lyn and eventually the vicious Skeletor himself with a full contingent of troops. Meanwhile, He-Man, Duncan, Teela and Gwildor rush to defend the locals, and a town cop named Lubic (the reliable James Tolkan) supplies comic relief by trying to take everyone down to the station house.

Eventually, of course, everyone has to return to Eternia for the final battle, and I'm sure no one needs to be told who ultimately prevails. But getting there is a lot of fun, unless you happen to be Charlie (Barry Livingston), proprietor of the local music store to whom Kevin takes the key for his evaluation. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for Charlie's report to his insurance agent.

Masters of the Universe Blu-ray, Video Quality
    4.0 of 5

Israeli cinematographer Hanania Baer, who is now Henry Jaglom's regular DP, shot Masters of the Universe. As director Goddard repeatedly notes in his commentary, he and Baer took several weeks to find common ground on the look of the film, with Baer pushing for a flatter, more naturalistic look and Goddard insisting on something glossier and more stylized. Goddard's view prevailed, but he points out a few sequences that reflect Baer's preference. Regardless of which photographic style is on display, Warner's 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray does a fine job of presenting this effects-laden comic book translation in an accurate fashion, which isn't to say that eyes accustomed to CGI, digital post production and digital cinema will necessarily be pleased with the result. Masters of the Universe was an FX-heavy film, but the effects were done by optical compositing, which produces a softer image than we're used to now, even when the FX plates are shot on 65mm, as they were here by ILM alumnus Richard Edlund. Also, much of the film was shot at night on the streets of Whittier, California, and the entire film was finished photochemically. "Grain" wasn't yet a dirty word, and the film's grain is generally visible, often obviously so, because it's been left intact by the technical crew that created this Blu-ray. Viewers should applaud their efforts, but we know from experience that some will not.

Colors are varied and nicely saturated. In the scenes on Eternia, they never create a sense of a fully realized environment, but I think that was a deliberate effect of Goddard's effort to evoke the graphic world of Jack Kirby's art. Blacks, which are essential for Skeletor's face and costume, are mostly dark and solid; they waver somewhat in multi-layered composites like Skeletor's "holosphere" addresses to the people of Eternia, where everything is fainter and weaker (including detail), due to the compositing process. In general, though, the film's transition to hi-def reveals levels of detail in costumes, make-up and production design that haven't been seen since the film played in theaters.

Masters of the Universe Blu-ray, Audio Quality
    3.5 of 5

The film's original stereo soundtrack is presented as DTS-HD MA 2.0. It's solid and serviceable and has very good fidelity, but little in the way of surround activity, even when played through an advanced matrix decoder. The dialogue is always clear, which is hardly surprising when you consider that most of the characters are Eternians, nearly all of whom speak in a ripely theatrical style that seems to be standard issue for all non-terrestrial life forms speaking English. Composer Bill Conti wrote a truly fine score that manages to evoke the spirit of an otherworldly conflict as effectively as John Williams in Star Wars and Jerry Goldsmith in the pre-Abrams Star Trek films, but without sounding like either one. On the Blu-ray's lossless track, the score sounds as good as I've ever heard it.

Masters of the Universe Blu-ray, Special Features and Extras
    2.0 of 5

Commentary with Director Gary Goddard: Goddard is an energetic commentator, but it had been almost fifteen years since he'd directed the film, and he hadn't directed another one since. (He moved from film directing into producing and directing major theme park attractions such as Jurassic Park: The Ride and Six Flags' Monster Mansion, though his company, Landmark Productions.) Rewatching the film is like revisiting an old scrapbook for him, and Goddard shares many memories from the shoot, but one can sense the distance and the shift in perspective that comes with a career change. Many of Goddard's items have been excerpted and listed in the film's "trivia" section at IMDb.

Trailer (SD; 1.78:1, enhanced; 1:42): The narration is almost laughably solemn.

Masters of the Universe Blu-ray, Overall Score and Recommendation
    3.5 of 5

It says something about the quality of Masters of the Universe that the film holds up even after the endless parodies of He-Man and Skeletor perpetrated by the creators of Robot Chicken, who seem to have almost as much fondness for this series as for Star Wars. And why shouldn't they? In cost, profit and influence, Goddard's film may be a small stone compared to the giant quarry that is George Lucas' starry franchise, but they have much in common. Both deal with elemental and operatic themes; both are massive costume dramas set in space; and both draw inspiration from cheesy B movies and Saturday morning serials, the most obvious being the Buster Krabbe Flash Gordon adventures. Given some changes in timing and a few lucky breaks, it might have been Skeletor's skull, rather than Darth Vader's helmet, that became the universal symbol of evil ambition. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunch1982 View Post
    Thanks! Anybody have a pic of the back of the Blu-Ray?
    71KwILyKYeL.jpg
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    All we get basically is a trailer and a commentary? What a rip-off! I was hoping a behind the scenes, deleted scenes, and concept art. I may not have seen the live-action He-man (yet), but I feel since this year is He-man's 30th Anniversary, it should be honored.