Thread: Starla & the Jewel Riders

Court Magician

Starla & the Jewel Riders

I just found this. does anyone know? its so much like our STARSISTERS as if they were the inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...e_Jewel_Riders

360196-2415_71479705090_71479195090_2607954_6064790_n_large.jpg

Jay20, thank you for finding this! I had no idea this existed.
    Manny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    i don't know that the star sisters were the inspiration, but the jewel riders were cool enough, i made a page for them on my toyguide:
    http://darah.com/collection/jewelriders/toyguide.asp

i've only seen a few of the eps, but she does do a transformation, similar to she-ra, and a few others do too. no one's identity is a secret, though!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

I remember the show from its first airing here in the UK, one of my fave shows from then. I actually have the 'Wizard's Peak' DVD release from DigiView, currently the only one available, which is rather sad as the show was entertaining! Plus, as DigiView seems to have gone the way of the crows, it'll be the last for a good while!

And originally they were called Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, I know this cause this is actually one of my first 'gigs' worked on while I was at the School of Visual Arts in NYC! I applied on the job listings board and was called in to help develop some character designs and work on some background art; boy was I SOOOOO GREEN! I do remember the company originally wanting them to have the look and feel of Disney style animation and characters, and now that you look at them you can see the Star Sister influence as well. Damn you guys took me back, I will definitely try and find some of the preliminary designs and style guides I was able to hold on to, since sadly I received no pay or billing credit for work done; the life of a college freshman...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    Nemisythe, if you could find original and preliminary stuff, that would TOTALLY ROCK!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    And originally they were called Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, I know this cause this is actually one of my first 'gigs' worked on while I was at the School of Visual Arts in NYC! I applied on the job listings board and was called in to help develop some character designs and work on some background art; boy was I SOOOOO GREEN! I do remember the company originally wanting them to have the look and feel of Disney style animation and characters, and now that you look at them you can see the Star Sister influence as well. Damn you guys took me back, I will definitely try and find some of the preliminary designs and style guides I was able to hold on to, since sadly I received no pay or billing credit for work done; the life of a college freshman...
    Very interesting and exciting, Nemisythe. *Crossing fingers that you find the prelim designs & Style Guide*

It may just be a huge coincidence, but there actually is a reason to believe The Star Sisters may have been an influence for Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders/Starla and the Jewel Riders (UK title). I don't want to publicly post a name (I passed it on to Josh for The Power and the Honor Foundation several months ago), but many years ago there was a former Mattel employee who told me that they had The Star Sisters at one time, although they referred to them as 'The Star Princesses'. Interestingly, this former Mattel employee worked on the PGATJR cartoon.
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 3, 2012 at 01:41pm.

And originally they were called Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders
    It has that title on the DVD, though for some reason, it's the international version, Starla and the Jewel Riders... very strange! Also, shame Bohbot Ent/BKN is gone now!

It'd be nice to see some of the early designs, I'm always interested in seeing such things!
    Last edited by Zentron; May 4, 2012 at 03:24pm.

Widget
    Damn you guys took me back, I will definitely try and find some of the preliminary designs and style guides I was able to hold on to, since sadly I received no pay or billing credit for work done; the life of a college freshman...
    I would absolutely love to see those designs. I'm a pretty huge Jewel Riders fan.

If anyone wants to join in on some Jewel Riders discussion, I run the Jewel Riders Livejournal group. http://jewel-power.livejournal.com/

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    It would be REALLY cool to see the prelim work and such. I have a few of those figures and remember watching Princess Gweneviere and the Jewel Riders on TV. It reminded me of He-Man and She-Ra, because King Arthur and the Knights of Justice (by the .org's Jack Olesker) was on at the same time! 90's Power Hour!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I recorded every episode of both seasons and even had most of the toys.

It helped fill the hole left by no new POP cartoon!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Found this thread via a google search. Had to smile and bring it back from the dead. Here's the first part of the pilot episode. As you can see there is definitely some She-Ra style goodness in it.

Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

I remember Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders when i saw them as a kid. I love the design and inspirations on it. I can see the inspirations that He-Man and She-Ra combination leaved on 1990's cartoons combinations like King Arthur and The Knight of Justice & Princess Gwenevere and The Jewel Riders. Dragon Flyz and Sky Dancers, etc. I got the basic doll figures (Gwenevere, Tamara, Fallon, Drake, Lady Kale) and the steeds Sunstar and Moondance. I never got any of the deluxe doll figures. I remember one of my cousins comparing the style to the Princess of Powers she got as a little girl.

After reading a couple of interesting notes on the show these days, there was a clear intention in inspirations from She-Ra, My Little Pony G1 (Tamara's Baby Animals) Disney like touch and some Magical Girl Anime touch like Sailor Moon. I think overall the design was awesome and it just needed a little more interest. I love Sailor Moon but i did love Princess Gwenevere and The Jewel Riders the same way. Everyone has their own tastes but still i don't know why it was some kind of underrated in some areas.

I can't agree more on the Star Sisters inspirations. Specially if we look at Starla and Tallstar

Nemisythe: I would love to see any design stuff that you have of this girls too!