Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 295

Thread: Too Much concept figures in MOTUC?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior eddie3429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kensington, Melbourne
    Posts
    515

    Too Much concept figures in MOTUC?

    So the announcement of the SDCC has risen a few topics on these boards, one i have heard is that their is "to much concept figures in MOTUC taking away spots for other mainstream characters"


    Ok lets do some math*

    Up until last sale. there have been in the main line** 71 figures/toys***

    Of that

    A-listers (Vintage MOTU Characters) 60.6%

    B-listers (PoP,NA,200x figures turned CLassic) 9.9%

    C-Listers (Characters from various MOTU media) 23.9%

    D-lists (Concept Figures) 5.6%

    I think what people are feeling is that concept figures are almost new figures, add that the 30'th line is almost all new figures (plus one concept with photog ) and people feel like there has been alot of non nostalgic MOTUC right now but really if you look at the long run of the main line it's still the smallest branch on the tree...

    *(not the best at math, data to be taken with grain of salt)
    **(not including vs DC or 30th)
    ***(Queen and Glenn are counted as one but Grayskull as two as the figure itself differs, does not include weapons packs or stunds but includes beasts and vehicles )

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,866
    It would be nice to see your breakdown because I'd put certain figures in other areas. IMO, if the figure never made it to the shelves, it would be a concept. (I'm looking at you Star Sisters and He-Ro!)

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior eddie3429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kensington, Melbourne
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    It would be nice to see your breakdown because I'd put certain figures in other areas. IMO, if the figure never made it to the shelves, it would be a concept. (I'm looking at you Star Sisters and He-Ro!)
    Fair enough if you choose to and i could more then understand that choice, but for me Star Sisters were in She-ra tv show (and possibly comics?) and He-ro was in comics, mini comics and Box Art. so they feel into other media in my eyes

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,842
    Firstly, my 2cents worth is we have not seen enough prototype/concept figures ... primarily because there are still a lot of the Tomart article figures I'd like to see Mattel obtain the rights to and produce into figures - especially Hoarder!!!

    When it comes to concept figures, I would include:

    - He-Ro, Starla, Tallstar & Jewellstar (had known prototype figures but never released for sale)
    - Vikor, Demo-Man, Gygor, Vykron (concept artwork)
    - Fearless Photog, Wun-Dar

    That equals 10 - or just over 10%. I don't think 1 new concept figure every 10-12 figures is too much.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,862
    I think the problem is NOT about concept figures, really. The problem is about the COOLNESS OF THE SCULPT AND DESIGN, and the EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION (OR LACK THEREOF) of said concept figures.

    I had no problems with He-Ro, Battleground Teela, Gygor, Vikor or Demo-Man because they look cool and were produced with great sculpt and design, and with decent quality control.

    Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for Vykron, for instance...

    And the same goes about new, never made before figures : I never got any problem with characters such as Shadow Beast, Draego-man or Chief Carnivus, for instance. But I'd never nuy Mo-Larr or Mighty Spector.

    While there's always a part of subjectivity about this, a decent design, sculpt and QC will often convince people to buy a figure, while a crappy design, bad look and poor QC will often push people away.
    Last edited by Prahvus; April 29, 2012 at 08:08am.

  6. #6
    Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom of Eternia
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Firstly, my 2cents worth is we have not seen enough prototype/concept figures ... primarily because there are still a lot of the Tomart article figures I'd like to see Mattel obtain the rights to and produce into figures - especially Hoarder!!!
    With you on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I think the problem is NOT about concept figures, really. The problem is about the COOLNESS OF THE SCULPT AND DESIGN, and the EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION (OR LACK THEREOF) of said concept figures.

    I had no problems with He-Ro, Battleground Teela, Gygor, Vikor or Demo-Man because they look cool and were produced with great sculpt and design, and with decent quality control.

    Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for Vykron, for instance...
    Totally with you. Personally I'm disappointed with some of Vykron's final appearance, but not enough for me to hate what we have got; but I'm totally with your point about how well the are sculpted and produced being a key factor. I mean, I'd take a decent prototype-inspired figure over say, a Rotar or a Twistoid any day. Just because a character was or wasn't vintage / a or b list material, doesn't completely affect the final outcome for me.

    Also, bearing in mind eddie3429's original thoughts, I wouldn't say it's just a case of concept figures being too numerous, sometimes it's just a case of dud or bad choices from other fields. To this day, I don't understand why we'd need, say, a cloaked He-Man (Preternia Disguise) high up on our wish lists when there are so many other cooler and fan favourite characters waiting to be made
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

  7. #7
    Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,117
    The problem is not having too many concept characters in the line but having too many "obscure" concept characters with no nostalgic appeal.

    Sure The Star Sisters, He-ro, Darius, Mara, The Goddess or Jungle Barbarian He-Man could be considered as concept characters but these did appear in several medias (cartoons, comics or mini-comics). Very much like so many Filmation or comic characters (Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Lizard Man, Granita, Geldor and many others) these have been wanted by many fans for years.

    On the other hand, I believe that Vikor, Demo-Man or Vykron are much more "obscure" than any other concept characters.
    The trouble with Vykron (and to some extent with Demo-Man and Vikor) is that a very small portion of fans were aware of their existence until very recently. I'm not saying that these shouldn't be made as MOTUC figures but I don't think that 3 such concepts characters should have been made into the line so closely in year or so (not to mention that Vykron is quite redundant of Vikor and that Vikor and Demo-Man took two monthly spots in 2011).

    Mattel shouldn't make more than one "obscure" concept characters a year. There are other factions that need be fleshed up first. Four years into the line and we've had only three NA characters and two of the core members of the snakemen... no wonder why some fans are afraid that their favourite characters might not make it in MOTUC...

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Monasterium, Germany
    Posts
    797
    Actually, there are too many vintage characters in thsi line so far, they should have been stretched out better. Including concept characters is, what Classics is all about. The essential of this line is to include these figures, not about re-inventing the same figures over and over again!

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior eddie3429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kensington, Melbourne
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Firstly, my 2cents worth is we have not seen enough prototype/concept figures ... primarily because there are still a lot of the Tomart article figures I'd like to see Mattel obtain the rights to and produce into figures - especially Hoarder!!!

    When it comes to concept figures, I would include:

    - He-Ro, Starla, Tallstar & Jewellstar (had known prototype figures but never released for sale)
    - Vikor, Demo-Man, Gygor, Vykron (concept artwork)
    - Fearless Photog, Wun-Dar

    That equals 10 - or just over 10%. I don't think 1 new concept figure every 10-12 figures is too much.
    For sake of discussion, to defend my choice of placement i was basing my count on those sold already, (TP being the last, ) so i didn't add VYKRON yet but i would also have to add stinkor slushead Frosta Horde supreme Snake Man at arms ect, and that would slightly skew data again, i see Wun Dar as a vintage figure in my eyes (though this is a highly debatable placement). and Photog is in the 30th line that i didn't count in my numbers as the line serves a different goal then the mainline.

    but as i said before my reasoning in subjective and people will view things differently but i assume the % will stay in roughly the same scales.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,862
    The problem is not having too many concept characters in the line but having too many "obscure" concept characters with no nostalgic appeal.
    The "nostagia" factor is not the main thing. Well, at least, not for me. Sure, I want to see all these characters I cherished in the 80's in MOTUC. It's an important point, but it's not the only one for me.

    But let me tell you a story : I didn't get into MOTU because of a nostalgia factor or because of a novelty factor. I got into it because the figures looked AWESOME !

    My Mom had bought He-Man and Battlecat for my little brother, and I liked these figures. And when I saw the other figures on the cardback, that was it: I was jonesing for Skeletor, Mer-Man and Beast man, my other brother wanted Man-at-Arms, etc. Later on, I enjoyed characters such as Fisto, Rio Blast, Rokkon, King Randor, Sorceress the Snakemen and the Horde. In fact, my brothers and me collected the whole line until its demise !

    It's the coolness, the "wow" factor that's decisive, plus, of course, a decent quality in the production of the figures.

    The first time I saw Draego-Man, for instance, I had the same "coolness rush" as I had had in the 80's.

    But a bad design or sculpt, unappealing character, cheap-looking or crap quality figure will always turn me off.

    It occurred quite often that I would buy figures I had never seen before in a cartoon, in a movie or even in a toyline just because they looked cool and were well done. And to this day, THAT's still the thing that keeps me collecting !
    Last edited by Prahvus; April 29, 2012 at 08:33am.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    150

    the idea of concept is

    To make the world richer and when i had first seen the og prototypes for what would become heman, i knew the tank head and standard warrior would fit nicely.

    Im not digging the name but other than that i think as an SDCC he is just fine. He will work and will be fantastic in my collection.

    Bring more figs that should have been included but never where and id be happy ;-)
    www.alternativemindz.com

    Abstract the Perspective
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  12. #12
    Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Actually, there are too many vintage characters in thsi line so far, they should have been stretched out better. Including concept characters is, what Classics is all about. The essential of this line is to include these figures, not about re-inventing the same figures over and over again!
    Surely there are too many vintage Heroic and Evil Warriors in the line so far...

    Apart from that, I wouldn't say that there have been too many other vintage characters. Since 2008 we've had Hordesmen (7 characters + 1 variant) , Snakemen (4 characters + 1 variant), NA (3 characters) or POP (8 + 1 variant) characters in MOTUC.

    Maybe they should slow down on the concept characters for a while and make more characters from the other factions (they also have to make more characters from the mini-comics and Filmation as these are much requested by fans).

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Grouchor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Surely there are too many vintage Heroic and Evil Warriors in the line so far...

    .
    Can't say I personally agree with this. For example, last year I did not Sub because there was only one vintage character revealed (Hiss) at SDCC. I have become more and more open to other factions but I subbed for the first time this year because of the heavier vintage showing.

    Having said that, I do agree that 2 slots taken up in 2011 may have been too much for concepts. NA, Filmation or even Mini-comics could have used that 2nd slot.

  14. #14
    Heroric Drummer Brian Ozone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    QUEENS
    Posts
    9,385
    I like the concept figures...
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!


    Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

  15. #15
    waiting for Geldor Toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Valley of Osgoor
    Posts
    6,053
    Me too, and sure this wont be a popular opinion, but I'd rather have Vykron/Vikor/Demo-Man than a 4th Mekanek figure (5th if you include the reverse coloured repaint)
    Tweet Me!

    I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

  16. #16
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I think the problem is NOT about concept figures, really. The problem is about the COOLNESS OF THE SCULPT AND DESIGN, and the EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION (OR LACK THEREOF) of said concept figures.

    I had no problems with He-Ro, Battleground Teela, Gygor, Vikor or Demo-Man because they look cool and were produced with great sculpt and design, and with decent quality control.

    Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for Vykron, for instance...
    This is how I feel about the Vykron deal as well. Well put.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    I like original, concept, prototype, minicomic, and Filmation figures. I think the 200x stuff needs to be layed to rest.

    It's bad enough we have to have a Man-at-Arms variant when a vintage one never existed, but he's also a 200x version of it.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    852
    I love the concept figures. Im glad im open minded enough to accept them.

  19. #19
    Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rideau Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    I like the concept figures...

    I also like concept figures, and I hope eddie doesn't speak for the majority of MOTUC fans...... becasue that would suck for someone like me.

  20. #20
    Slave Girl for MOTUC! Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,322
    You can never have too many concept or new characters in a line. It's what helps to keep things fresh and expand upon the mythology instead of recycling the same stuff over and over again. I applaud the MOTUC line for not playing it safe and giving us figures in plastic form for the very first time.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

    Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

    No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

    A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

  21. #21
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,645
    No limits on the line. Open to everything.

    Conceptual and proud.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    No limits on the line. Open to everything.

    Conceptual and proud.
    i think you said it best when you described it as the ultimate toy line.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Delthaindia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kitten Town
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Actually, there are too many vintage characters in thsi line so far, they should have been stretched out better. Including concept characters is, what Classics is all about. The essential of this line is to include these figures, not about re-inventing the same figures over and over again!
    I think that there is a huge part of the motuc fanbase that only want to complete the vintage line and put some filmation carachters in it. the are not interested in the expanding motuc world, in na, pop or myp. may be a 65 per cent of the fans? Im just guessing...and that's why they are kind of forced to bring us more and more vintage motuc in order to not read people that want to quit their subs for the upcomig year.
    Last edited by Delthaindia; April 29, 2012 at 01:25pm.

  24. #24
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,846
    I love getting concept figures in this line. Having said that, I personally think they should put concepts and/or and variants of major characters like He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms on hiatus for at least 2 years. These characters have been done to death. In their place? Other concepts, POP variants etc.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    concepts are the new pop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •