Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 30 Years of Princess of Power

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Screw a modest 30th anniversary POP celebration! I want BIG things! We (and the property) deserve it.

Seriously. I tend to agree with JonWes, insofar as Mattel being committed - committed to giving the POP fans one version of each gal in a style that's mostly Filmationesque. While I realize there have been some tweaks here and there to the road map that Scott's frequently speaks of, what we should keep in mind is that, at one time, he told us every character from the vintage lines (save for some of the NA heroes) was slotted in between then and 2016. I would imagine at least 70% of the gals will be on our shelves by the end of 2015. That's why, to me, it seems redundant to merely ask for the standard POP figures for an anniversary. Sure, continue to ask for characters like Glimmer, Angella etc. and an increase in yearly POP offerings...but those things for an anniversary? We could potentially be cheating ourselves out of some great things. Mattel will be like: "ha! we were planning to do that anyway!" Should we really be undervaluing the property?
    I agree with you, which should shock no one. That's why I think it would be so exciting, fun and appropriate to see She-Ra celebrated by other Mattel brands: Barbie, Monster High, Hotwheels, Polly Pocket again (maybe a full-on mini PoP line...heck, I'd like to see a Polly Pocket He-Man), maybe something Fisher Price for kids, etc.

If Mattel can get the funds again for PoP's anniversary a mini-comic or three one be awesome, sense this year's 30th celebration "of all lines" didn't devote a mini to each (which it totally could have).

I did think of another cool thing they could do! A PoP-specific Weapons Pak for MOTUC in the Anniversary year! That would be pretty special. It could have requested PoP repainted items (like a silver She-Ra shield, firm-plastic Catra sword, etc.) and newly tooled items as well! I'd like that.

Commemorative PoP figures are less likely (since we didn't get MOTU ones this year...that we know of, at least)...but if we can get something commemorative, I would LOVE for them to make the prototype Star Sisters and Glorybird as they were to be made in the 80's and we can finish off our vintage PoP collections. That would be amazeballs, to steal a fellow .orger's phrase.

Hell, if they can scrounge up the funds, maybe even write the planned "Beyond the Azure Star Caverns" mini-comic for them! I can dream.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 1, 2012 at 08:47am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    In fact, I don't see why they can't divide up the twelve monthly slots like this:

3 x VINTAGE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    3 x PRINCESS OF POWER
    2 x NEW ADVENTURES
    2 x FILMATION
    1 x 200X
    1 x CONCEPT / PROTOTYPE / BOOKS / COMICS

If they were clever with their choices for variants, multipacks and beasts, they could balance the whole line out very well.
    That would be neat!!

As for the celebration of 30 years of POP, I think the following could make cool exclusives:

- Horde Captain Adora and Spirit
    - Madame Razz and Broom
    - Brightmoon guards (1 male + 1 female)
    - Twiggets multipack

Were there any mini comics that were plotted out but never released? Like with the Star Sisters or something?

MOTU got theirs, PoP should get in on that action, if they exist.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I've nothing to add, just posting my support for all these wonderful ideas in Spirit (pun intended) of this thread.

Say Scott, old boy, do be a good man and consider some of these suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's why I think it would be so exciting, fun and appropriate to see She-Ra celebrated by other Mattel brands: Barbie, Monster High, Hotwheels, Polly Pocket again (maybe a full-on mini PoP line...

Commemorative PoP figures are less likely (since we didn't get MOTU ones this year...that we know of, at least)...but if we can get something commemorative, I would LOVE for them to make the prototype Star Sisters and Glorybird as they were to be made in the 80's and we can finish off our vintage PoP collections. That would be amazeballs, to steal a fellow .orger's phrase.
    I might literally explode.

And after I reform myself, I'd probably finally try to collect more of the vintage line, if I had some amazeball Star Sisters to back it up.
    More Vintage NA for MOTUC in 2016!!
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, Admiral Scurvy, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    And after I reform myself, I'd probably finally try to collect more of the vintage line, if I had some amazeball Star Sisters to back it up.
    *feels like he's on Perez Hilton's site*

Make this happen Mattel.

Oh boy, whomever mentioned Spirit just got me thinking - we're totally not going to get a Spirit, are we?

It's strange how this pro-She-Ra thread has me feeling a little deflated somehow. I guess I don't share the optimistic feelings others have about how big our POP collections will be in just a few years. When I stop and think about how many still haven't been made, I get really concerned that we're just not going to see them all:

A-List characters remaining
    Glimmer, Angella, Kowl, Razz, Broom, Spirit, Casta, Scorpia, Mantenna, Filmation Hordak, Sea Hawk

Secondary characters of note
    Huntara, General Sunder, Octavia, Mermista, Perfuma, Peekablue, Twiggets

More obscure characters
    Netossa, Multibot, Admiral Scurvy, Swinn, Agho King of Trolls, Sorrowful, Modulok, Josh

I'd be happy to get all of those...but those are twenty-six unique characters! Out of that list, only fourteen could be made using the traditional human male/female bucks (and then there's Spirit, who'd reuse Swifty to some extent). We all know Mattel will be more likely (as this line wears on, and prices continue to rise while interest tapers off) to make standard "human" characters. Even Shadow Weaver was a big deal to them, in terms of making new parts, and she wasn't a troll, or broom, or character with multiple limbs!

I'm ALL FOR seeing something special to celebrate She-Ra anniversary (a set of glasses with a 30 on them would be neat!), but overall, I'm more concerned about knowing we'll be getting those first two rows of characters. And right now, I don't see it happening....

Hug?

I'm completely ok with the way that He-Man, She-Ra, 200x, NA, and so on are all lumped into one universe, but I do think the idea of celebrating anniversaries would just be fun for the line and fandom.

While I see She-ra as an integrated part of the MOTU universe, I also think She-ra stands on its own for doing something that I don't know of many other brands doing: making a successful jump across a gender gap. With She-ra, Mattel took a popular boys property, augmented it, and successfully marketed that property to girls. Pretty interesting as I cannot think of many other properties which have been able to do that!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Just remembered...

MOTU got Granamyr for its 30th.

PoP should get Sorrowful for its 30th!
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I guess I don't share the optimistic feelings others have about how big our POP collections will be in just a few years. When I stop and think about how many still haven't been made, I get really concerned that we're just not going to see them all:

but overall, I'm more concerned about knowing we'll be getting those first two rows of characters. And right now, I don't see it happening....

Hug?
    Filmation was 'late to the party' and wasn't part of the "by 2016" statement, so my previous comments were more about the characters in the original toy lines. No doubt Mattel will include as many of the major characters as they can from the cartoons, though...within reason. They will want to get some use out of that license.

*hug*

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Filmation was 'late to the party' and wasn't part of the "by 2016" statement, so my previous comments were more about the characters in the original toy lines. No doubt Mattel will include as many of the major characters as they can from the cartoons, though...within reason. They will want to get some use out of that license.

*hug*
    Agreed, they're going to try to get as much use from the license. I hope so anyway.

POWER TO THE POP!!!
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

*goes off to see if there are any updates on the live-action She-Ra series*
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 4, 2012 at 09:05am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I don't expect much for POP; the 30th sub for MOTU is getting mixed reviews, and that was pretty much it for the MOTU celebration.

I think something like a She-Ra Barbie would be a great idea, and not just on Matty, but in the stores. There is a renewed MOTU/She-Ra presence out there thanks to the new licensing deals (Sears has a new He-Man t-shirt on their website right now). And how about some POP Hot wheels to go with the MOTU vehicles? THere are things they can do with POP that they have successfully done with other properties. They just have to get up the gumption and do it...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I like the idea of mini-comics or comics in general, but since I'm not especially into the old POP comics style, and I totally ignore the current MOTUC "continuity"...I'd be into it only if it were about the Filmation show, which may or may not be doable.

I do think we should think big, but be prepared for absolutely nothing

Support the Celebrate POP Initiative!

Join the Cause! Let's show Mattel that Princess of Power's 30th Anniversary SHOULD be celebrated, and not glazed over "because POP is a part of MOTU now". POP is an important part of this franchise's history, and should get due recognition. Perhaps Mattel and Classic Media need to know just how much fan and collectors are willing to be out supporting Princess of Power.

What do we as fans and collectors want? More POP figures in the Masters of the Universe Classics line, classic packaging for our MOTUC POP figures in 2015, maybe even a Commemorative Series of the vintage figures in 2015! With more POP figures released by 2015, we could see POP MOTUC figs re-released packaged in Vintage POP designed packaging, or even do multi-packs that pay homage to vintage multi-packs. Classic Media may already have plans to go crazy in 2015 with merchandising and multi-media releases - but let's be proactive and show them we're waiting. There are many ways we could Celebrate POP...from now to the 30th Anniversary.

Let us as fans, consumers and collectors show the power of numbers! Come LIKE us at Celebrating POP. Support fan demand for a Celebration of Princess of Power, and the build-up to a great 30-Year Anniversary in 2015!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Celebr...P/288325415324
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    I fully support this. POP doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Power to the POP!!
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Although I'm a bit more take-it-or-leave-it regarding POP, I wouldn't mind seeing most of these ideas. Then again, I think many of us woulda liked to have seen some of this kinda thing done for regular MOTU classics and it didn't happen for the 30th Anniversary this year (with regards to vintage-style box art, it's long been said that this is not possible... possibly due to some copyright loop? I never fully understood the reason). But I'm all for it; maybe they'll learn from the missed opportunities from MOTU's 30th Anniversary. (Then again, Battle Pigs might fly!!)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I just thought of a terrific idea for a 30th Anniversary POP figure...

Adora 2.0! I've already been asking for her, but I realized maybe getting her a few years from now, at the time of the Anniversary might be ideal. And she wouldn't need too many new parts, either, so Mattel might be tempted to give her a whirl...

Adora 2.0 would have the twist waist, the Marlena-style underoos and two new hand sculpts - her right hand would be able to hold her sword directly upwards, while her left would be spread open delicately (like in the transformation sequence). Put her in a fancy box with some "effects", include her Sword of Protection, and voila...a pretty darn simple rerelease with added appeal to POP fans.

I guess I'll take any excuse to have an improved Adora, what can I say?

I'd like for other things to potentially be offered - heck a 30th Anniversary sub would be terrific. If they don't give us a Filmation Hordak before then (and I'd like to think they would!) maybe he and Adora could be offered...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    I fully support this. POP doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Power to the POP!!
    Quoted for truth as I look at my cabinet and fail to see Glimmer, Castaspella and Queen Angella to name a few.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Signed up!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Thank you, Darkspecter. You guys are coming up with some awesome ideas, many of which would be relatively cheap and easy to execute.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm hopeful that by 2015, the ranks of The Great Rebellion would have swelled with quite a few more members, so that any anniversary celebration can be something "special".

A She-Ra Barbie seems like a no-brainer. They can just use a default body and head-sculpt, which means they would only need the "outfit". Even the boots and gauntlets could probably be recycled from a previous Barbie figure.

In MOTUC, it would be great to see a "concept" She-Ra. I like both the original brunette, black bikini She-Ra and most of the other concept designs posted earlier in this thread. IF we still haven't gotten a "toy design" She-Ra by 2015, then it seems that a Vykron-like exclusive with a single base-body and three different outfits (e.g. "concept", "toy design" and Starburst or one of the many Fantastic Fashions) would be a great idea.

Similarly, if they haven't shown up by 2015, then the anniversary would be a great time to release some of the smaller, unique sculpts like Kowl as well as Lookee, Razz and Broom (even though I'm personally not a huge fan of the last three).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I actually love how Scott described his view of POP in the podcast. It is part of He-Man and therefore celebrates its anniversary this year. I DO think there needs to be more POP product released over the next few years (more than the standard 2 a year or so) but I don't like the idea of singling it out or giving any of it over to Mattel's girl department. Keep it as a He-Man spin off, not as a Barbie side project. Hopefully we'll get some big names like Kowl, Glimmer, Castaspella, Angella, Razz, Mermista, etc. very soon. I HATE that we've got so few of the prominent Filmation staring POP characters so far. A SDCC exclusive that is POP released would be fun that year though.
    Agree with this.

I like the death of the 'girls fashion dolls' and the all-inclusion philosophy of MOTUC. Some people prefer the old ones... I prefer the filmation styles.

But honestly, breaking up the MOTU property and celebrating every PART of it... seems counter productive. Celebrating the PoP anniversary or the NA anniversary, or even the 200x anniversary only keeps it seperate from the MOTU line.

It's basically forcing people to acknowledge THIS is MOTU.... and THAT is 'something else'.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    She-Ra is part of the MOTUC property now?

Then She-Ra and/or Hordak should be on a glass in the Tumbler set that's coming. I mean, non-fans know who She-Ra is as well as they know He-Man. Everyone knows She-Ra.
    No they don't.

My own sister used to COLLECT them and steal my He-man guys to play with them... yet had no recollection when she saw my MOTUC adora and She-ra.

My mom recognized the NAME she-ra... but she's been telling my nephews that Sorceress was She-ra.

Which I had to quickly correct

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    We have more POG characters than POP individual characters, which seems wrong. I am NOT saying that the POG characters are something I don't want... I just want them more spread out... same with vintage MOTU and concepts... spread them out.

Catra
    Shadow Weaver
    Bow
    Swift Wind
    She-Ra/Bubble Power She-Ra/Adora
    Starla
    Jewelstar
    Tallstar
    Glory Bird

vs.

King Grayskull / King Grayskull 2.0
    The Goddess
    Zodak (who also counts as MYP)
    Sir Laser Lot (upcoming)
    Vikor
    Demo-Man
    Vykron 1
    Vykron 2
    Vykron 3
    He-Ro
    Megator
    Tytus

I hate lists like this... First of all. The horde IS PoP. They WERE the villains of the most well known incarnation of She-ra. You have Shadow Weaver and Catra on the list... but not Hordak.

Higher up you said if PoP is part of MOTU, then Hordak should be on a tumbler... so obviously you count him as part of the line there...

You count Zodak as Preeternia... with a side not that he also counts as MYP.

Which is exactly how the Horde should be treated. They are BOTH MOTU AND PoP.

You count Sir Laser lot as 'upcoming' but you don't have horde prime or Frosta as Upcoming...

You count Vykron 3 times... but only give one slot to She-ra... Just because they have multiple 'looks' does not mean they are multiple characters.

Honestly... this has been the best year YET for PoP fans. Starts off with a 3 pack of obscure/concept characters.... Long awaited Shadow Weaver.... Never seen before Horde Prime (who was unfortantely a major influence on the cartoon) and Frosta coming up...

Honestly, I wish PoP never got a 'subset sticker.' There are too many 'subsets'. PoP fans are too shattered too to really be happy. In mattel's eyes they've done quite well by this branch. Unfortantanetly some of the fans only give credit if the new figure is Pop... in vintage toy form.... and a female.... and a member of the rebellion... And an A list...

Honestly, it seems like all the other stuff just doesn't count

I'll go on record as saying what "I" wanted from PoP, was She-ra, Swiftwind, Bow, the Horde, Frosta and Sea hawk.

I'm pretty giddy that they are hitting all my favorites first

Mattel should make a commemorative 30th Anniversary or Club Etheria sub for POP in 2015 to celebrate She-Ra. Instead of making all new characters, like they did for MOTU, they could assemble a nice list of top wants that would guarantee that the sub sells. I can understand it if an all-POP sub would be a hard sell for upper management but I feel that if they stuck to only offering A-list or fan favorite characters, it could do well enough to work. It would be appropriate for She-Ra's anniversary and give us a lot of essential Horde & Great Rebellion figures that might otherwise take forever to show up in the regular sub!

My ideal list would start with Filmation Hordak as the Sub Exclusive and then six of the following choices, depending on which ones still haven't been made by the end of 2014:

Madame Razz & Broom 2-pack
    Queen Angella
    Modulok
    Sea Hawk
    Twiggets 3-Pack
    Horde Trooper
    Huntara
    Glimmer
    Scorpia
    Octavia
    Mantenna
    Castaspella
    Loo-Kee & Kowl 2-pack

If a separate sub is too much to ask for, then they should at least give us one deluxe offering in 2015. Either a deluxe Filmation Hordak with the works (Imp, various arm accessories, and alternate Rocket form) or a special box set of the little guys (Kowl, Loo-Kee, Sprocker, Spritina, and Spragg)!

I totally disagree with all of your statements.

I do think "everyone" knows She-Ra. I think your sister has an unusually bad memory. Your mom didn't play with the toys. She likely didn't watch the cartoon. But many people I know, who don't have a modern affinity for MOTU now, know who she-Ra is.

That's a fact. I would bet money that more people know who She-Ra is than don't.

As for your knit-picking apart my list:

I'm talking Great Rebellion POP.

HORDAK was not on my list because he had a toy in the vintage MOTU line. Shadow Weaver only appeared on the POP show. Had she been made as a vintage MOTU figure, I would not have included her. Catra was a vintage pop figure, so included her.

We have 7 Great Rebellion characters, with Frosta coming: Adora, She-Ra, BP She-Ra (3 figures / one character), Bow, Swift Wind... Starla, Tallstar, & Jewelstar were concepts I have no nostalgia for... I like them, but I have love and nostalgia for Angella, Mermista, Glimmer, Double Trouble, Kowl, Entrapta, Netossa, Castaspella, Sweet Bee, Perfuma, Flutterina, Loo-Kee, Madame Razz, Sea Hawk, Spinnerella, Arrow, Moonbeam, Sundancer, Sea Harp, Enchanta, Storm, and Clawdeen.

After 3.5 years of being a super loyal MOTUC customer, I have NONE of those.

So thank you for picking apart my list. I hope you get your five favorites (all of which should be released by mid-2013), and I hope Scott reads your post and that it confirms in his mind how the POP fans are being totally unreasonable.

That's what you're likely helping to do.

I'm so tired of this attitude.

No. We don't have enough POP rebellion members. You cannot argue that fact.
    Last edited by bcrduke; May 18, 2012 at 04:01am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I don't expect much for POP; the 30th sub for MOTU is getting mixed reviews, and that was pretty much it for the MOTU celebration.

I think something like a She-Ra Barbie would be a great idea, and not just on Matty, but in the stores. There is a renewed MOTU/She-Ra presence out there thanks to the new licensing deals (Sears has a new He-Man t-shirt on their website right now). And how about some POP Hot wheels to go with the MOTU vehicles? THere are things they can do with POP that they have successfully done with other properties. They just have to get up the gumption and do it...
    What's funny is I keep seeing She-ra being mentioned in various places out there lately, and I haven't heard He-man once that wasn't an article about the new Comics.

Eva Mendes was on "The Talk" the other day, and asked who she'd like to play she jumped in and said "She-ra". There have been a few articles about female superheroes lately in various places (with Avengers, etc.) and reading comments I keep seeing random, "They should make a She-ra movie" comments.

It's funny because I'm finally getting the sense that to the general public, She-ra is just as important as He-man, or at least known/remembered. She was quite a revolutionary character, as really only Wonder Woman came before her as a true "superhero" that much in the public eye. I think that is often forgotten in places such as this, where she is seen more as an after-thought and not nearly as big as He-man in importance as she really was, especially for legitimizing the female viewership MOTU already had.