Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 30 Years of Princess of Power

Snappy Threader
    Unfortunately, I fear there may not be any POP gals for a while. I admit, I want other MOTU vintage characters first, but I'm afraid since we got Shadow Weaver, Starla, Jewel Star, Tallstar, Glory Bird and we will be getting Frosta, that there may not be another one this year. Next year yes for sure, but this year probably not. I'm not campaigning against them, I just figure the way things work that we will see more MOTU and NA before POP. I do want Kowl, Sea Hawk and LooKee very badly however.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Unfortunately, I fear there may not be any POP gals for a while. I admit, I want other MOTU vintage characters first, but I'm afraid since we got Shadow Weaver, Starla, Jewel Star, Tallstar, Glory Bird and we will be getting Frosta, that there may not be another one this year. Next year yes for sure, but this year probably not. I'm not campaigning against them, I just figure the way things work that we will see more MOTU and NA before POP. I do want Kowl, Sea Hawk and LooKee very badly however.
    i think you may be right. TG will probably say that we've gotten enough POP this year ... *sigh*
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I wonder when they would show the "fixed" Frosta.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    i think you may be right. TG will probably say that we've gotten enough POP this year ... *sigh*
    Exactly what I expect to hear from TG. I figure we will get another NA character in 2012, possibly another Horde member, maybe a Snake, I mean, I'm not real sure what to expect, but I think they threw the Star Sisters in there to take a big chunk out of POP all in one swoop.

Exactly what I expect to hear from TG. I figure we will get another NA character in 2012, possibly another Horde member, maybe a Snake, I mean, I'm not real sure what to expect, but I think they threw the Star Sisters in there to take a big chunk out of POP all in one swoop.
    I'd love another Horde member - i.e. Scorpia. But the Horde as marketed as the Horde, not POP. So yes we could another Horde member this year, but i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    I'd love another Horde member - i.e. Scorpia. But the Horde as marketed as the Horde, not POP. So yes we could another Horde member this year, but i doubt it.
    Mosquitor.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Throwing the Star Sisters in there doesn't take a big chunk out of any of the POP vintage figures though as they were only prototypes not actual figures. If you look through all the vintage She-Ra figures we have only had 5 so far which are BP She-Ra, Bow, Swift Wind, Catra and Frosta. A bigger chunk out of the vintage figures needs to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Mosquitor.
    What about him?

LOVE these postings. A fellow POP fan over in Shadow Weavers Realm on Facebook was suggesting that the list I laid out may be a bit too ambitious. Admittedly it might be, especially when you take into consideration all of the licensing issues. But it was intended to be more of a springboard, brainstorming session to work from. I LOVE the idea of using Barbie or Monster High to promote POP. Barbie has done crossover with a lot of DC female characters (I have quite a few of those in my toy room...not the Wonder Woman Barbie though ), I'm very surprised that Mattel hasn't tried to do that with POP (although I suspect it has to do with their lack of confidence in the brand).

As for scaling the requests down, as my fellow Realmer suggested, I'd be happy with upping POP releases to at least 3 a year, and in the anniversary year, represent characters from the original toy line, the Horde and Filmation cartoon series to attract not just POP fans, but cater to everyone else as well. Other monthly slots can be populated by MOTU, NA, and 200x characters - but 2015 should feel like The Year of the Great Rebellion.

I'd expect all the characters from the 1985 wave to have been released by 2015 (with the expectation that MOTUC won't be around in 2020). This leaves quite a few characters (and potential variants) from the Filmation, Horde and Vintage lines to be celebrated in 2015.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I would love to see something done for POP. The men are lonely on my shelf. The preliminary designs for She-Ra would be awesome figures! Yes, please! All three, and then the other one in the bikini. She'd be great beside Vikor.

Having worked in the industry, I know there's a lot of red tape involved in animated features, and likely comic book adaptations, as evident by how long it took to get mini comics this year. However, if it were at all possible, it'd be awesome to see SOTS adapted. Granted, the 200X style may be retired, but seeing it in Classics form might be nice.

These are incredible characters, and hopefully we'll have the majority of them on our shelves in the next few years, but just like MOTU, having a little extra POP in Classics would make the line shine.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    I honestly think that we're 2-3 figures behind where POP currently should be and I think that Glimmer not been done yet is a travesty. If we can get another new POP girl in 2012 and a new one previewed for 2013 as an incentive for POP fans to buy the sub then i'll be really pleased with that. I have strong feeling well be getting fobbed off with Sea Hawk and will basically be told to be happy weve got another POP release but I really hope he's not one of the first few 2013 figures and is used to entice POP fans into buying a sub. I can see POP fans been majorly ticked off if he is and Sea Hawk won't get POP fans on the whole to buy a sub, where one of the unreleased POP girls would potentially. When POP fans say they want POP characters they are on the whole talking about the female characters since before filmation rights we only had Bow (already done), Kowl and Loo-Kee and management and Toyguru know this.

By the end of 2013 I want to see all these characters in the line at least:

Glimmer
    Castaspella
    Queen Angella
    Scorpia

I don't think that's a lot to ask.
    I completely agree. To me, and to most of us, the Great Rebellion and Evil Horde are as much a part of the main cast of MOTUC as He-Man, Skeletor and their allies are.
    MattyCollector.com says: "All your favorite characters from the worlds of He-Man® and She-Ra™ come to life as highly-detailed, fully-articulated action figures. ", so one would think we would have had Glimmer and Angella by now, at the very least. They didn't hold out on releasing Man-At-Arms or Mer Man, did they?

From now on I hope we get three Princess Of Power-related figures per year. In fact, I don't see why they can't divide up the twelve monthly slots like this:

3 x VINTAGE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    3 x PRINCESS OF POWER
    2 x NEW ADVENTURES
    2 x FILMATION
    1 x 200X
    1 x CONCEPT / PROTOTYPE / BOOKS / COMICS

If they were clever with their choices for variants, multipacks and beasts, they could balance the whole line out very well.

I hear ya, DisneyBoy. You're right to be worried. We've all been clamouring for the likes of Glimmer and Castaspella for so long that it feels like Peekablue, Netossa and Flutterina are literally years away from us. As long as Mattel insist on releasing the MOTU heavy-hitters, they'll soon be in trouble and we'll be the ones suffering. I'd hazard a guess that the second and third waves of POP characters would sell infinitely better than Vykron...
    It's like Mattel is factoring She-Ra into this line the way Americans factor fresh vegetables into their diets - once in a while, out of obligation.

She-Ra's a brand all her own. I wish they'd wise up, skip these Vykron/Toilet-Man/Obscure-character-that-may-or-may-not-have-been-a-bug-squashed-on-a-piece-of-paper-from-the-80's-but-lets-make-him-anyway variants and just say "Whammo - Glimmer, Scorpia, Kowl, Sea Hawk - there y'all go. By the end of the first quarter of 2013, you'll have a really nice She-Ra shelf, and we'll try to get you a new POPer every three months or so."

But they won't commit to her characters, even if they have greater visibility and recognition AND would be appealing because most of them were in wacky colors back in the day.

And to whomever said we POPers are also with the NA crowd, you're completely right. Those guys and gals must be pulling their hair out over the fact that there still isn't an NA He-Man or Skeletor to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

Not including cartoon or comic characters, PoP still needs 17 (19 if you include Toy She-Ra and Toy Catra who look nothing like the ones we got), 7 horses (8 if you include the all-pink, female Swiftwind...9 if they don't make the all blue Arrow), Clawdeen (Catra's cat) and Butterflyer if they make her into a Megator and Tytus giant type (because she kind of is).
    If they make 9 more horses and there is not 9 more vehicles I will call shananigans. We should see one horse for every one vehicle we get. Or I am getting my broom. For all you vehicle hater, FYI swiftwind takes up more room than wind raider.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

They are going to be pretty much be forced into that sort of configuration after this year, I think. Otherwise they won't make the vintage MOTU stuff last. I think that's a good breakdown.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    Although I´m not a POP-fan, I also think that demanded POP characters would be better than Vykron, Mighty Spector, etc...

Undemanded figures weaken the line. We got too much of them now.

Man, I didn't even realize how Vykron must make you POP fans feel. Geez...

I've grown to like POP quite a bit over the years, I'd take just about any POP character over our new SDCC exclusive. My girls watch the cartoon and I'm sure they will love it even more as they get older. I mean, I'll make them love it or else...
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    If they make 9 more horses and there is not 9 more vehicles I will call shananigans. We should see one horse for every one vehicle we get. Or I am getting my broom. For all you vehicle hater, FYI swiftwind takes up more room than wind raider.
    The horses are not really comparable to vehicles, because they are living creatures. Battle Cat, Panthor, Gygor, Shadow Beast, Tytus, Megator, Granamyr, Griffin. The horses are comparable to those, the beasts. MOTU has 8 beasts and PoP has 1. I'm not calling shenanigans on that, but the PoP horses/cats deserve to be made (as well as Catra as a cat). There are still MOTU creatures to be made as well, like King Grayskull's Battle Lion.

Vehicles are FAR less likely because, pretty much each vehicle is 100% tool. The horses are all repaints with some having a couple different accessories. That makes them a lot cheaper to produce and more likely to be made. I'm not against vehicles, but there really aren't too many I would really like, to be perfectly honest. My most wanted vehicle out of ALL the toy lines, would probably be NA Skeletor's Doomcopter. I have the original toy and it's creepy, glows in the dark, has a moving jaw, neat features and doesn't take up a lot of room. I really like it and think it would be cool in MOTUC. I did buy the Wind Raider, but outside smaller vehicles like the Road Ripper, Sky Sled and a Roton (the classic, evil vehicle), I don't think I could see myself buying any. That includes PoP and NA vehicles. They're just too expensive and take up too much space. Screw vehicles, give us playsets. Castle Grayskull, Crystal Castle, Fright Zone, Eternia, Snake Mountain, etc. I would gladly pay for and find room for those. The vehicles are not so important, in my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Darkspecter, the Monster High idea rocks, as does your Castaspella/Kowl suggestion - great ideas. If there's a colour vote at this year's SDCC, I expect it will concern her (although maybe they'll abandon that concept entirely due to the sub Fan Choice vote). I never liked the concept of Allepsatsac though. People complain about the 'campiness' of Castaspella's name (which I actually think is kinda clever in an uber-kitsche way!), but giving her a cousin with her named spelled backwards always seemed a little too silly for me.
    Allepsatsac is kind of silly, but if they give her a proper origin, she could be really cool. It's kind of like Zatanna from DC comics, how all the spells she casts are the words said backwards. Well, maybe Allepsatsac is a magically created double of Castaspella. Some "cost" of magic she did when she was younger, that her dark side split from her and became a living being of her own. I think that would be a really cool way of explaining her and making her a little more "cool."

I really would love a Catra and She-Ra Barbies too (as well as Monster High ones...if MOTU can be in every Mattel brand, why not PoP?). I know some of us have been campaigning for PoP Barbies since the 200X days! We had a call in campaign, does anyone remember that? I did. We bombarded them with calls. Mattel should make PoP Barbies like their gorgeous DC ones:

They could even include a second outfit with Catra and She-Ra, so you could display them with Filmation outfit or the Toy outfit. It would be REALLY cool...or maybe, somehow, do a TWO pack with Adora and She-Ra...and somehow do a trick so you see Adora and have the speech bubble "For the honour of Grayskull" and then when you turn the box (kind of like a lenticular), you she She-Ra and she has the speech bubble "I AM SHE-RA!!!" THAT would be epic!

To me, it really seems like a no brainer. The PoP Polly Pockets on MattyCollector sold out pretty quickly and I saw a lot of people disappointed they missed out on buying them! I think PoP Monster High and Barbie is the next logical step. A+ job and kudos to the Polly Pocket crew at Mattel for realizing the great love there already is for PoP, and the enormous potential of the PoP brand. You guys and gals truly get it.

These are SO darn cute and I've read SO many positive things about them all over the web. Even from people who are new to She-Ra! More merchandise like this for PoP's 30th Anniversary please.

EDIT: I found a custom Monster High Wonder Woman someone made. It kind of helps make for a comparison between the Wonder Woman Barbie. Since Catra has black hair, we can sort of picture what she might look like in both of these different styles.

Last edited by Darkspecter; May 1, 2012 at 01:02am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

By the time the 30th anniversary for POP rolls around, my feeling is that the bulk of the Filmation gals that folks have been clamoring for will have been made in MOTUC, thereby negating the need to request them for celebratory purposes. I'm not saying folks shouldn't be asking for a more balanced/fair yearly roll-out in all categories, but the thing is I really do feel that's a completely separate issue from the anniversary and is something that should be a given every year.

Personally, I think the celebration should go above and beyond what we're normally supposed to get and/or tap into areas that will no doubt be neglected in the next couple years. Let's face it, save for the major She-Ra and Catra variants and perhaps Double Trouble, the toy-based figures will likely fall by the wayside in favor of designs that are predominantly Filmation-based. This fact makes the toy designs something extra special for use in an anniversary year as SDCC exclusives (such as Darkspecter's idea), sub line subscription figures etc. This is also true of something like mini-comics. For the Filmation fans, perhaps they can use the more iconic looks on POP Barbies or some other dolls. POP can exist as many different things. Doesn't have to be limited to just MOTUC.

I know some of us have been campaigning for PoP Barbies since the 200X days! We had a call in campaign, does anyone remember that? I did. We bombarded them with calls.
    Yes. I also e-mailed them at least two times over the years. Both times I seem to recall getting what looked to be a cookie cutter response.
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 1, 2012 at 01:24am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yes. I also e-mailed them at least two times over the years. Both times I seem to recall getting what looked to be a cookie cutter response.
    If I remember correctly, I told them how popular PoP would be if they brought it back and compared it to WinX Club (because it was doing very well at the time)...or to at least make a She-Ra Barbie. He said he would write it down and pass it along. He said he heard from a few different people that day about She-Ra.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I just hope Scott can try to relate to the many extremely loyal fans of POP (and MOTU in general) who are asking for something reasonable.

It's not like we are asking for Crackers the Clown, the yellow mini-comic warrior, and Chef Allen.

These are great characters. Even if you don't care for POP or She-Ra, you can't deny that they are strong characters. You don't have to like them, but that doesn't make them garbage at all.

For example, I love DC, but Green Lantern isn't one of my favs (although the new animated series is quickly converting me - absolutely loving it). But I don't think characters like Hal Jordan, Kilowog, Atrocitus, Star Sapphire, or Tomar Re are bad characters at ALL. I just don't have a ton of connection to them.

If I were brand manager of a DC line, I would never EVER hold back the GL characters... in fact, I'd probably be overly vigilant in making sure I put them in the line regularly.

I just wish there had been more of an effort all along to bring the POP, and NA, characters to the line. Now, we need to play catch up. THAT is what makes the fans demand them.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I just hope Scott can try to relate to the many extremely loyal fans of POP (and MOTU in general) who are asking for something reasonable.

These are great characters. Even if you don't care for POP or She-Ra, you can't deny that they are strong characters. You don't have to like them, but that doesn't make them garbage at all.
    I think, this is true.

If we got some POP characters instead of those current abominations, the overall response would be definitely better...

You know, as a fan of both POP and NA, I don't really see anything that suggests they don't know the characters are demanded (well, POP more than NA probably) and aren't committed to bring them to us. Especially now.

Even though I'd loved for them to have stepped up the release schedule, I get why we are here now, and I really suspect we're going to be much happier in upcoming years. This year we've gotten the Star Sisters, Frosta, Horde Prime and Shadow Weaver. That's a pretty awesome POP year for me though I definitely hope for more.

Much of the first year was just about getting a few figures out... and then that snowballed into a full year that had to feature a lot of re-use. The second year was about building on that and introducing the subscription and WAS supposed to introduce Adora until she got pushed back. I kind of feel like we got POP and NA characters about as soon as we could because really the first few figures we got were probably just testing the waters a bit to see how well they'd sell. Now that they know pretty much anything will sell well in this line and they've run through so many vintage figures, I think we'll see a lot more in the next couple years.

I would actually be a wee bit surprised if we didn't get another POP figure this year. We've got September, October, November and December to reveal still. We know one of those is taken up by Mosquitor and apparently another Snake Man is coming based on Scott's hit at Toy Fair. So of the other two, I'd be REALLY surprised if another vintage MOTU character comes up given how heavy they've been early in the year. I've got to think another POP rebellion lady is coming. Probably a "lesser-desired" one after Frosta. That's just my gut feeling, of course. And I'll be sad along with the rest of you if it doesn't happen.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    You know, as a fan of both POP and NA, I don't really see anything that suggests they don't know the characters are demanded (well, POP more than NA probably) and aren't committed to bring them to us. Especially now.

Even though I'd loved for them to have stepped up the release schedule, I get why we are here now, and I really suspect we're going to be much happier in upcoming years. This year we've gotten the Star Sisters, Frosta, Horde Prime and Shadow Weaver. That's a pretty awesome POP year for me though I definitely hope for more.

Much of the first year was just about getting a few figures out... and then that snowballed into a full year that had to feature a lot of re-use. The second year was about building on that and introducing the subscription and WAS supposed to introduce Adora until she got pushed back. I kind of feel like we got POP and NA characters about as soon as we could because really the first few figures we got were probably just testing the waters a bit to see how well they'd sell. Now that they know pretty much anything will sell well in this line and they've run through so many vintage figures, I think we'll see a lot more in the next couple years.

I would actually be a wee bit surprised if we didn't get another POP figure this year. We've got September, October, November and December to reveal still. We know one of those is taken up by Mosquitor and apparently another Snake Man is coming based on Scott's hit at Toy Fair. So of the other two, I'd be REALLY surprised if another vintage MOTU character comes up given how heavy they've been early in the year. I've got to think another POP rebellion lady is coming. Probably a "lesser-desired" one after Frosta. That's just my gut feeling, of course. And I'll be sad along with the rest of you if it doesn't happen.

I hope you're right. I think the 4H could do some great things with the POP ladies, especially the 2nd and 3rd waves of heroic characters from the vintage line.

I hope we get a Snake Man, a POP lady, Mosquitor, and a 200X character... with a NA variant.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I agree with JonWes about "forgiving" Mattel about the current lack of PoP and NA in MOTUC (not your exact words, mind you ). Lots of tooling was needed for female characters...and then we wanted a new female buck because...the other one wasn't cutting it for certain characters and highly limited articulation (like waist-twist). Long story short, we're finally there (although the new Bubble Power She-Ra crotch does NOT work properly with the Battleground Teela thighs). Now we can start catching up on the female characters since Mattel's got the basic body frame (except for the crotch if they want to use the BG-Teela thighs...).

So, yes, it did take a few years of waiting for them. Same with NA, because they were all very unique sculpts. In my opinion, Optikk and Flipshot/Icarus are two of the most amazing figures in the line! Especially Flipshot. He has SO many display options and removable parts. He's freakin AWESOME! Tooling is limited still, I know, but we really need to start playing catch up with these two lines...especially now that we're running low on vintage MOTU characters.

Anyway, I think it's a VERY small thing to ask for, but 100% for sure, in 2015 (PoP's 30th Anniversary), the SDCC exclusive item should be a PoP item. For NA's 30th (someone said 2019?), it should be an NA item. This shouldn't even be up for discussion, but an absolute fact. Ever year for MOTUC (except year 1), has had vintage MOTU as the SDCC item. Show love and appreciation to these two lines in their anniversary years.

Other merch from different Mattel brands in PoP's 30th year would be great too (like Barbie and Monster High, which has been mentioned). Hot Wheels could do a She-Ra car, a Crystal Castle Polly Pocket playset...the sky's the limit and since Mattel owns She-Ra and these brands, it should be VERY easy to make big things happen.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 1, 2012 at 03:01am.

Screw a modest 30th anniversary POP celebration! I want BIG things! We (and the property) deserve it.

Seriously. I tend to agree with JonWes, insofar as Mattel being committed - committed to giving the POP fans one version of each gal in a style that's mostly Filmationesque. While I realize there have been some tweaks here and there to the road map that Scott's frequently speaks of, what we should keep in mind is that, at one time, he told us every character from the vintage lines (save for some of the NA heroes) was slotted in between then and 2016. I would imagine at least 70% of the gals will be on our shelves by the end of 2015. That's why, to me, it seems redundant to merely ask for the standard POP figures for an anniversary. Sure, continue to ask for characters like Glimmer, Angella etc. and an increase in yearly POP offerings...but those things for an anniversary? We could potentially be cheating ourselves out of some great things. Mattel will be like: "ha! we were planning to do that anyway!" Should we really be undervaluing the property?

Anyway, I think it's a VERY small thing to ask for, but 100% for sure, in 2015 (PoP's 30th Anniversary), the SDCC exclusive item should be a PoP item. For NA's 30th (someone said 2019?), it should be an NA item. This shouldn't even be up for discussion, but an absolute fact.
    Absolutely!
    Last edited by Tallstar; May 1, 2012 at 08:27am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost