Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 30 Years of Princess of Power

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Her head doesn't have the "sunken in" look in the middle, and the "wings" on her tiara look crisper, more detailed and more accurate. I'm not sure what happened from prototype-to-toy...but the 4H nailed it and the actual product...not so much.

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content..._Swiftwind.jpg
    It helps that her face is actually painted flesh-tone and the gold color is brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    I'm convinced we won't see anymore POP girls in 2012 ...
    I don't want to see a single female until that pelvis is fixed.

That said a 30th anniversary She-Ra SDCC figure of She-Ra with rooted hair, her vintage dress, Kowl (SDCC Yellow flocked/Matty Filmation orange), Loo-Kee, "Light Hope" in a Crystal Castle display box would be really cool. The current vendor can do rooted hair and cloth outfits, if I heard right, so a one-off tester would be really cool, and it knocks out a couple of characters in the process.
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; May 19, 2012 at 11:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When it comes to MOTUC, I'm all-inclusive. There's only been a few figures that I haven't had any desire to buy. However, I don't think people are that far off regarding the lack of POP representation. Let me show you:

and if you include the Horde:

*Please bear in mind I have two BP She-Ra, Adora is displayed with her family, and Leech isn't in the display.

Seems pretty paltry for a line that's four years old.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I'd love to see a big POP celebration in 2015. A She-Ra statue at SDCC would be AMAZING and people would totally freak out over it.

I bet we'll get all of the Great Rebellion characters. While I agree they've been sparse up 'til now, I have this feeling we're going to see more and more of them. Remember, the vintage MOTU line had a lot more characters to get through in comparison to POP or NA. Because POP characters seem to sell just as well as MOTU, I'm figuring that as we are now getting into the Blast-Attak and Multi-Bot territory (i.e. less famous characters), the A-list and B-list Rebellion characters will help to keep people interested.

I don't buy into the idea that tons of people will leave the line after they get Ram-Man. I'm sure a few will, but not enough to make a dent. I'm guessing we'll have all of MOTU and most, if not all, of POP within the next three years. Remember, some of the MOTU figures will probably come in two-packs which will open up monthly slots for other figures. Some of the POP characters might also come in two packs (Kowl & Loo-Kee might come with other characters or with each other perhaps). I'm not sweating it too much.
    From your mouth to God's ears!

I love an all inclusive canon!

Um...the Evil Horde are not "She-Ra" characters to me. Since I wasn't allowed to get the Great Rebellion characters as a kid BECAUSE they were in the girls isle, I had to essentially ignore the cartoon canon in my toy play. THUS, I had to go with the mini comics interpretation of the EVIL HORDE - which was TOTALLY "She-Ra-less". As far as I'm concerned, Catra was She-Ra's arch nemesis, not Hordak.

But that's just me.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    Um...the Evil Horde are not "She-Ra" characters to me. Since I wasn't allowed to get the Great Rebellion characters as a kid BECAUSE they were in the girls isle, I had to essentially ignore the cartoon canon in my toy play. THUS, I had to go with the mini comics interpretation of the EVIL HORDE - which was TOTALLY "She-Ra-less". As far as I'm concerned, Catra was She-Ra's arch nemesis, not Hordak.

But that's just me.
    It's not just you. It's me too :-)
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Heroic Warrior

But that's just me.
    /shrug...

Everyone has their own stories... But we can't expect Matty to acknowledge them. Even in the mini comic canon, Hordak was trapped on Etheria...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    /shrug...

Everyone has their own stories... But we can't expect Matty to acknowledge them. Even in the mini comic canon, Hordak was trapped on Etheria...
    Yeah, so where in heckfire was She-Ra? They never crossed paths or had ANYTHING to do with the other in their corresponding mini comics. I don't expect Matty to acknowledge anything, but obviously there's some fluidity in "faction boundaries". It just seems that folks establish certain boundaries for the sake of argument, rather than allow some openness to interpretation.

After some debate and a review of production history, I am going on record as accepting that Horde characters CAN be classified as POP characters. It is why from here on out, POP will be broken into 2 factions: Great Rebellion and Evil Horde. Much like MOTU is broken into two main factions - Heroic Warriors (Masters) and Evil Warriors (Masters), and NA is broken into Galactic Protectors and Space Mutants - it just makes sense for POP to get broken into the two aforementioned factions as well. Obviously, Catra and Entrapta are members of the Horde whilst still being POP, so this logic makes total sense. It is why I refer to She-Ra's characters as Great Rebellion, since that's mostly what's left. Catra's variants and Entrapta will be Horde.

I'm okay with the figures released in the vintage PoP line being labeled as PoP. It's just a label…they're ALL under the MotU umbrella now.

As far are only "Great Rebellion" characters being left…not quite…
    We've still got Buzzsaw Hordak, Entrapta, Scorpia, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Dragstor, Horde Troopers, Multibot and Modulok…I feel like I'm missing someone somewhere but there ya go.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I'm okay with the figures released in the vintage PoP line being labeled as PoP. It's just a label…they're ALL under the MotU umbrella now.

As far are only "Great Rebellion" characters being left…not quite…
    We've still got Buzzsaw Hordak, Entrapta, Scorpia, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Dragstor, Horde Troopers, Multibot and Modulok…I feel like I'm missing someone somewhere but there ya go.
    I agree that POP is a part of MOTU now, and I'd go with your comment "it's just a label" IF communication didn't break down amongst fans and collectors when it came to this issue. When I asked Toy Guru about more POP in the line - I was REALLY asking about Glimmer, Castaspella, Angella, Mermista - the GREAT REBELLION gals. Other fans go on about Hordak, Leech, Grizzlor, Shadow Weaver - they're NOT Great Rebellion, they're Evil Horde. YES, they ARE POP, but I and many other fans are itching for the Great Rebellion Gals. And it's not about being demanding or impatient for me - it's about making sure that Mattel knows that there are fans and collectors out there that REALLY want this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Remaining POP (not including Filmation characters):

Great Rebellion (14):
    Angella
    Castaspella
    Double Trouble
    Flutterina
    Glimmer
    Kowl
    Lookee
    Mermista
    Netossa
    Peekablue
    Perfuma
    Spinnerella
    Sweet Bee
    Starburst She-Ra (variant)

Evil Horde (9):
    Mantenna
    Entrapta
    Modulok
    Multi-Bot
    Dragstor
    Horde Trooper
    Buzzsaw Hordak (variant)
    Scratchin' Sound Catra (variant)
    Shower Power Catra (variant)

Make Milla Jovovich part of the 30th anniversary celebration. She name-dropped She-Ra on Entertainment Tonight.
    Last edited by Tallstar; June 26, 2012 at 09:26pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Make Milla Jovovich part of the 30th anniversary celebration. She name-dropped She-Ra on Entertainment Tonight.
    Too funny, Eve Mendez did the same thing on The Talk a few weeks ago.

That's like the fourth random She-ra name drop I've heard this year - yet I can't remember last time I heard someone randomly mentioned He-man.

Cool mention for She-Ra! We should now have a PoP figure with an extra head having an uncanny resemblance to Milla, like Icarius has Val Kilmer ....actually this would be awesome!!!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

The purpose of doing a POP 30th Anniversary in 2015 is to focus on Great Rebellion and Evil Horde characters. 2012 essentially put focus on the vintage MOTU line. 2015 should do the same with POP - which is made up of Vintage POP Great Rebellion/Evil Horde characters and MOTU Evil Horde characters. IF they did a separate 30th sub for POP, here's some figs that would work great. On top of these, we could bump up releases in the monthly, variant, oversized and convention slots.

POP 30th Sub Possibilities:
    Slot 1: Filmation Princess of Power figure. (Madam Razz!)
    Slot 2: Filmation Princess of Power figure. (Red Knight/Josh)
    Slot 3: Filmation Princess of Power figure. (Dylamug)
    Slot 4: MYP figure. (Calix!)
    Slot 5: Princess of Power mini comic. (Seeress)
    Slot 6: Princess of Power Fan Favorite. (Impostra/Fak-Ra)
    Last edited by mykan; June 28, 2012 at 10:24pm. Reason: Corrected text

Tally is there a way you can get your video not to start playing automatically whenever I click on this page? Mila's voice keeps giving me a heart attack!

Many thanks

If they do have a six-slot Anniversary line, I agree it would be nice to the vintage POP purists if there were a true POP She-Ra. They could reuse the head and tiara from Bubble Power She-Ra, and just change the sticker from pink to gold. The arms and legs would stay the same, so they'd only have to change the torso and skirt. I think the longer POP skirt would be an issue though - would they really try to make it out of plastic? Fabric would be much, much easier, given the shape of the thing and it's length and the fact that you wouldn't want to keep the figure from sitting on Swifty (or then again, this is Mattel, so nevermind, they totally would!)

I don't see much point in making any other POP-specific figures in an Anniversary line, though. They're already incorporating those toys into these new figures (like with the swappable Bow heads, or Frosta's wand or the concept of BP She-Ra) so doing six figures that look exactly like the vintage line probably wouldn't occur to them, or frankly, make a big splash. The She-Ra toy line isn't to She-Ra what the MOTU toy line was to He-Man. For She-Ra it really is a case of Filmation > POP toys. (Not to upset the POP fans, though).
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; June 26, 2012 at 09:25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    If they do have a six-slot Anniversary line, I agree it would be nice to the vintage POP purists if there were a true POP She-Ra. They could reuse the head and tiara from Bubble Power She-Ra, and just change the sticker from pink to gold. The arms and legs would stay the same, so they'd only have to change the torso and skirt. I think the longer POP skirt would be an issue though - would they really try to make it out of plastic? Fabric would be much, much easier, given the shape of the thing and it's length and the fact that you wouldn't want to keep the figure from sitting on Swifty (or then again, this is Mattel, so nevermind, they totally would!)

I don't see much point in making any other POP-specific figures in an Anniversary line, though. They're already incorporating those toys into these new figures (like with the swappable Bow heads, or Frosta's wand or the concept of BP She-Ra) so doing six figures that look exactly like the vintage line probably wouldn't occur to them, or frankly, make a big splash. The She-Ra toy line isn't to She-Ra what the MOTU toy line was to He-Man. For She-Ra it really is a case of Filmation > POP toys. (Not to upset the POP fans, though).
    No upsetting here. Any suggestions for POP figures that would be more akin to the vintage toy designs are just ideas to put on the table. Maybe they wouldn't make a big splash, but there are fans of the style (myself included) and it doesn't hurt to put it out there. I have heard other fans say that this style doesn't belong in MOTUC, or it's a distraction, and I'm not suggesting that it be shoved into MOTUC at all. The BEST parallel is the DCUC toy line by Mattel - there are sub-lines being released, like the Batman toy line, that reuse the molds from DCUC. The "POP Classics" toy line would simply be a "variant sub-line" that re-uses the MOTUC molds. Rooted hair, soft good clothing, pastel color schemes and hologram stickers would be applied to honor the vintage style - maybe even a vintage package design. This could be done down the road as a "companion" line to MOTUC.

As for using fabric for She-Ra's skirt, TG has gone on record as saying that using soft goods was not off the table completely, so it would totally be an option in this case.

Again the Style Guide & Filmation looks are indeed better suited for MOTUC, I totally agree. But here's to hoping that there's an option to get more of the vintage look in a "companion variant sub line" or as a convention/non-sub 30th Anniversary "Defenders of Good" 3pk.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Tally is there a way you can get your video not to start playing automatically whenever I click on this page? Mila's voice keeps giving me a heart attack!

Many thanks

LOL. Tthis really made me laugh, you have no idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    As a cartoon guy, I do prefer the Filmation designs, but a special line of toy based versions would allow those to be made without sacrificing slots in the regular line. I don't know if such a sub would fly, though, especially with the 30th MOTU sub being about 50-50 hit and miss.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Yeah, so where in heckfire was She-Ra? They never crossed paths or had ANYTHING to do with the other in their corresponding mini comics.
    Hordak is in "The Story of She-Ra" mini-comic and Horde Troopers are in "Where Hope Has Gone", though She-Ra never appears in any MOTU mini comics.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Hordak is in "The Story of She-Ra" mini-comic and Horde Troopers are in "Where Hope Has Gone", though She-Ra never appears in any MOTU mini comics.
    This is true - but at the risk of splitting hairs, Hordak appeared in a brief cameo flashback holding baby Adora. And indeed there were Horde Troopers, but I had always figured they were under the command of Catra, who was the primary villain and thus Horde leader. Hordak was very active in the MOTU mini comics. And since he never seemed to interact with She-Ra or Catra, or even discuss them, I had assumed as a kid that "Etheria" was some strange nether realm, or shadow dimension that was NOT Etheria proper.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Masters Cast, and am glad you're back. You guys were my first podcast EVER, and will always have a special place in my personal favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    It helps that her face is actually painted flesh-tone and the gold color is brighter.

I don't want to see a single female until that pelvis is fixed.

That said a 30th anniversary She-Ra SDCC figure of She-Ra with rooted hair, her vintage dress, Kowl (SDCC Yellow flocked/Matty Filmation orange), Loo-Kee, "Light Hope" in a Crystal Castle display box would be really cool. The current vendor can do rooted hair and cloth outfits, if I heard right, so a one-off tester would be really cool, and it knocks out a couple of characters in the process.

Exactly what Jun-Yor said! This drought isn't so bad until that pelvis piece gets fixed!

I really doubt Mattel is going to go all out for POP's 30th like motu got but it would be nice top see something extra like a concept fig or 2.

Who was that mystery mail in figure? I never heard of that promo before...
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

I'd just like to express my love of She-Ra and the Princess of Power Universe by sharing my desire to have Mattel create Barbie dolls based on She-Ra and her friends. If they hold out and show She-Ra, Catra, Forsta and Glimmer dolls in 2015 I'd be able to wait. But I wouldn't mind a Teela or Evil-Lynn Barbie doll in the next few years. Maybe at this year's Comic Con if we're lucky.

But, Mattel did make the Guardian Goddess dolls in 1979 and they were spicy saucy hot.

I don't know about anyone else but I do see the early beginnings of She-Ra in these dolls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; June 27, 2012 at 08:06pm.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Heroic Warrior
    That's just how women dressed in the 70's...

Seeing the new Jem doll makes me think we NEED a She-Ra doll. And not one that looks like Barbie in She-Ra clothes.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    This is true - but at the risk of splitting hairs, Hordak appeared in a brief cameo flashback holding baby Adora. And indeed there were Horde Troopers, but I had always figured they were under the command of Catra, who was the primary villain and thus Horde leader. Hordak was very active in the MOTU mini comics. And since he never seemed to interact with She-Ra or Catra, or even discuss them, I had assumed as a kid that "Etheria" was some strange nether realm, or shadow dimension that was NOT Etheria proper.
    Did you have any access as a kid to the storybooks? Many of those featured Hordak as the main villain (even in the one titled The Revenge of Catra). Though, in turn, just like the mini comics, She-Ra never appears in any of the He-Man storybooks.

What's really weird is as a kid I never questioned it at all-- as in why wasn't She-Ra in the MOTU mini comics, etc. Might just be because they were very secondary to me (Filmation being primary). I did ask my father where She-Ra was after we saw the live action motion picture back-in-the-day.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Masters Cast, and am glad you're back. You guys were my first podcast EVER, and will always have a special place in my personal favorites.
    Awesome! Thank you for sticking with us!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com