Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customizers - How Do You Plan To Customize Your Mighty Spector Figure?

Customizers - How Do You Plan To Customize Your Mighty Spector Figure?

Greetings He-Fans & She-Ravers

Are you are planning to purchase the Mighty Spector just to make a "customization edit" of his figure?

If so please feel free to post your redesign images here in this thread and share your redesigns/modification plans of how you intend to improve on his design/look with the other fans, as this may help increase the figures "very expected low sale numbers from non subscribers".

I do this for two reasons...
    His general fan dislike may have consequences we may in the long run we may not like.
    Also to simply to help boost some figures sales to support the line even further.

So, again, please feel free to share descriptions and images of your redesign/upgrade/meltings/etc of the figure.

If you wish to preserve some mystery about your redesign I can respect that.

But if you do wish to share, you can just describe the design only. Or you could describe the design and show a pic if you want. Or you could use a pic and hide it via the hidden "spoiler" tab to hide the actual image in case some ORG members here would rather read your the redesign/editing ideas an then wait to see the final product pics later.

As a customizer myself, here is roughly what I plan to do with two different Mighty Spector figures to create two versions of the character.
    Apologies ahead of time to ppl that look at the image as it is a very quick edit of a older PYRE image...

My Customization Plans & Reasons for each of my design changes

My redesign of him stems from the comments by Scott from his various concepts... Scooby Doo style villain, time traveler, etc. and combines them in a more; at least how I would do it; optimized design that would really make the figure something impressive while still hitting home his intended idea for the character and his key elements.

I really hate to say this about a 4H done figure... but ALOT more love could have been put into this figures elements presented to improve it.. and also at the same time bring with the figures design into line with the more unified "one line" look of the MOTUC brand's figures.
    ...to date this figures design work has been the only design I really felt [really] disappointed with in this figure line.

Now some ppl might ask how is he not in line with the look?
    Well when I say that I do refer to [parts usage when in comparison to the vintage toy lines parts/molds used] and the resulting updates that come from that conversion into the MOTUC line.
    When I say that he isnt in line with this look as he has "clear" elements that obviously show he was not put back thru the "vintage-izer" machine first.

My design takes all his elements an all the parts and throws back to the original vintage look then "properly" updates his look with elemnts that he would... and should have had.

Such as...
    -----------------
    1. If made into a vintage first using vintage parts/molds. His leg/loincloth combination would have utilized the entire Roboto/Man-e-faces leg mold + loincloth. So the Man-E-Faces/Roboto Upper leg was added onto his upper leg, which completed it and made it look more unified now.
    -redesign needed now- Now that his legs were completed. His lower body now looked far too "busy" in comparison to all the smooth flat upper body parts of the top section of his body. So adding the Man-E-Faces arms balanced that and kept his color layouts, and also REALLY punched home that "time traveling suit" look even further, while also giving and almost "protective ExoSuit" look to him.

2. The more "imposing/mysterious" figure elements of someone from the future trying to hide there idenity was punched home by simply adding in a hooded cape, which also at the same time seemed to capture that classic 80's Scooby Doo Villian/badguy look.
    -The addition of the hooded cape, also helped now balance the grey color tones and helped distribute the colors better.

3. Going by the comment by Scott; that the Spade emblem was the symbol used by the Time Agency that The Mighty Spector worked for; I added and modified the Cheif Carnivus Torso armor and replaced the large singular spade with a more vintage/80's toy design approach. That this design would have used a clock to represent time travel, as this was a VERY popular method in cartoons during the 80's when referencing or showing the passage of time or time travel in use. BUT!! I didnt just do away with the spade as many might want to do.... I enlongated the spade and used one for EACH arm of the clock which looked even better.
    - With this update, it gave him more of a vintage toy look. Doing this made his "time travel/voretx suit" look like it was protecting him more, and was directly referencing time travel at the same time, which the singular spade did only for Scott himself, as it was his design concept.
    Also, the addition of the Cheif Carnivus armor on the torso allowed me to move the Spade emblem; that represents the Time Agency; from the center of the torso gear to both shoulders.
    Which is a more associated location for an Organization patch/emblem location to located on a uniform of almost any kind.

I say that as until Scotts comments about the Spade emblem and what it stood for... MANY of us just did not get that spade symbol at all, and/or how it stood for time travel... an even after that comment it still wasn't enough to punch that element home.

Sorry Scott my friend, I do hate to say this, but its the truth on this one... Never design something from your personal point of view looking out at others. Always design it from the outside looking in at it as everyone else would see it.
    It really sucks sometimes, I know! I have been there myself with commissioned works in the past!
    But that way you can make ppl connect more with the design in the way you wanted them too with the character as you envisioned it.

I know this figures means alot to you Scott; like exactly how all of our custom figures ideas mean to us; so appropriate effort was put into this edit of his design to preserve his key elements while also punching his design up to where it should have been with the quality and detail.

To which I would also like to extend this special offer to Scott...

[IF] Scott does prefer my version over the standard version; and would be willing to acquire the parts to make another one of these edited figures an send to me; I would also be more than happy to make him one of these also for his own personal collection totally free of charge.

Illustration of my Planned Modifications

...personally I absolutely love my redesign of him so far.

Finalized Mighty Spector MOTUC Figure - Using my design Modifications
    [Figure Redesign incomplete - still awaiting figures arrival]

[If possible, PLEASE keep any and all comments to regarding any and all figure "customization plans and or ideas", and not just general Mighty Spector hate comments.]
    Last edited by Replikor; May 14, 2012 at 06:18pm.

Mine will be turned into "Time Traveler Skeletor"
    Using Keldor's cape, TRU 2-pack Skeletor 's head and if possible customizing his armor...

Like this!

Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

A Time Traveler Zodac?

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    nice ideas, replikor.

i think i'll try to cover the spade with some sort of green rounded gem, and maybe find a way to use
    vykron's space helmet on him.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; May 4, 2012 at 04:57pm.

Great idea for a thread!

I have plans, but it's hard to be sure exactly what I'm going to do until I get the figure in hand. I know I want to alter the spade, but I haven't decided how yet. I kind of want to make the symbol a plug-in piece so I can try different looks. I'll probably make a smaller holster, and dim the yellow on the harness. I'll post pictures when I finalize a modified spade, and when I actually do the customization, I'll definitely post pictures of the whole figure.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    I think my spectre will be evil... that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    I think my spectre will be evil... that is all.

I LOVE your redesigns, too, Replikor!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

If I can't resist I can see me making him into a G.I. Joe MOTUC crossover style snake eyes simple as dying him black and sculpting his visor over his goofy looking head. Of course that means I'd have to order him so... it's alot of talk cause I dont see myself ordering him.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Heroic Warrior
    I'm going to bend him over so his rear is up in the air and...

Well, this is a family board. And I didn't really buy him. But if I did, that's what I would have done.

Guys, there are plenty of threads to show your dislike of Spector. Let's please try and keep this one on the topic of plans to customize him.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I'd like to add the grayskull logo (from the glow in the dark ring) to his chest armor instead of the spade, but I'm not sure how.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I'd like to add the grayskull logo (from the glow in the dark ring) to his chest armor instead of the spade, but I'm not sure how.
    Well, there are a few ways you could do that.
    You could look into finding a place online that makes sticker sheets an purchase 1 sheet with alot of diffrent sized versions of that image, and jsut place one that fits best inside the location you plan to place it.
    Online sticker printing

You could simply draw it on with "very" fine tipped permanent marker.
    Or even as a step further from that. If you wanted you could even then go back over that image with black Gloss or flat paint over the marker image.

[I also updated my original post with my redesign update comments as to why I made the design changes that I did.]
    Last edited by Replikor; May 5, 2012 at 01:21am.

Attachment 75806

TMS will become this version of Horde Prime UK
    I'll be using Spector's buck with Horde Prime's accessories (cape, cowl, armor, shins). Hoping to use little paint as possible and see how he looks with just parts swapping. I'll probably use TMS's harness to whip up a belt for HP and paint that. I'll definitely post pics here.

TMS - The heroic master of customization! He should have been a shape-shifter
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Using the mighty spector figure as a base for a UK Comics Horde Prime is a VERY cool idea. That will save you ALOT of painting there Count.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Using Keldor's cape, TRU 2-pack Skeletor 's head and if possible customizing his armor...

Like this!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...6&d=1317070633

Would explain why King He-Man has the Time Agents working for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Using the mighty spector figure as a base for a UK Comics Horde Prime is a VERY cool idea. That will save you ALOT of painting there Count.
    Thanks, I'm trying to save from painting the entire buck and only having to paint some features on Horde Prime. I'm still "green" when it comes to customs, not even touching the sculpting part of it..yet o

After reading Vykron's bio I also want to make an Eternian gladiator out of the spare parts left over from TMS.

Combining his head, shins, gun & holster and add them to a he-man buck (like TRU) to make an Eternian style Luchador! Two characters using one TMS, thats awesome!
    Last edited by Count Judas; May 5, 2012 at 08:22pm.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Mine will also become a UK Horde Prime. I may call HP Horde Supreme or make the UK one HP's bodyguard, I haven't decided quite yet. I'll use Spector's boots to an extra Keldor I, have to make BA Keldor. It's gonna be fun working on these two.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Well, I noticed a slight error in my pic's link and it was just repaired.
    Apologies to all those who were getting the link error, the image should now load properly.
    Last edited by Replikor; May 6, 2012 at 08:12am.

I made an unmasked Spector head for him... Maybe I'll fix the spade to look like clock hands.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

....my one get a new head still done , waiting only on the Migthy something Figure

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    I'm keeping mine a secret till I post pics!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Heroic Warrior
    i wonder if the chest harness and belt will be removable accessories, or if they will be glued on?

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post

Like this!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...6&d=1317070633
    Awesome idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    Thanks, I'm trying to save from painting the entire buck and only having to paint some features on Horde Prime. I'm still "green" when it comes to customs, not even touching the sculpting part of it..yet o

After reading Vykron's bio I also want to make an Eternian gladiator out of the spare parts left over from TMS.

Combining his head, shins, gun & holster and add them to a he-man buck (like TRU) to make an Eternian style Luchador! Two characters using one TMS, thats awesome!
    hmm, cool! That would give us all a figure to display fighting Vykron!

Very nice!

[link to my illustration updated]
    Last edited by Replikor; May 10, 2012 at 07:32pm.