Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Sets You've Missed Out On

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar

DVD Sets You've Missed Out On

Ever since I first heard it was coming last year, I had been wanting to pick up the complete collection of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My collection stalled after Season 4 and I was missing Volumes 3-6 besides that, so i was ecstatic about being able to finish my collection in one shot. Then my expenses ended up being more than I expected, and when I last checked Amazon, I sadly discovered it's already out of print.

Granted, I can buy the individual sets, or even go to eBay at a later date. Heck, the volumes I am missing are being re-released in season format in July. Still, I am still kicking myself for missing out.

What about the rest of you? Has anyone else missed out on a DVD collection that they really wanted?
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by transfan80 View Post

What about the rest of you? Has anyone else missed out on a DVD collection that they really wanted?
    Transformers: The Matrix of Leadership Edition
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

She-Ra Princess of Power Season Two from BCI.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Any of the MOTU/POP DVD sets that are out. Never got a one of them.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Any of the MOTU/POP DVD sets that are out. Never got a one of them.
    HERESY!!!!!!

I missed out on the flintstones boxset (but to be fair the prototype pics were AWESOME and the retail set looked like CRAP in comparison. I ended up buying the individual sets because of this.

I missed out on the batman beyond complete set, and I still want to get the I dream of Jeannie set in the bottle packaging.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    HERESY!!!!!!
    It would be heresy if I didn't *want* them. Technically, this is sloth, since I didn't go and get them when they were available.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    As far as sets that I've missed out on go, there's probably a few that I just need to take the time to think of.

One thing that I am kicking myself for is that I have the complete series of Captain N The Game Master from when it originally came out, but there was an error on one of the discs and a program to get a replacement. I just kept procrastinating on that and never called or whatever to get that taken care of. Now the set is out of print and going for huge money on the secondary market, and I doubt that Shout Factory has the replacement discs left anymore.

Ever since I first heard it was coming last year, I had been wanting to pick up the complete collection of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My collection stalled after Season 4 and I was missing Volumes 3-6 besides that, so i was ecstatic about being able to finish my collection in one shot. Then my expenses ended up being more than I expected, and when I last checked Amazon, I sadly discovered it's already out of print.

Granted, I can buy the individual sets, or even go to eBay at a later date. Heck, the volumes I am missing are being re-released in season format in July. Still, I am still kicking myself for missing out.

From what I understand, the only actual difference between the individual volumes, the discs in that complete series set, and the discs that will be in that season 3 set is literally just the label on the disc.

The complete series set was all of the exact same discs from the volumes 1-6 and season 4-10 releases with new labels on them. Volumes 1 and 2 were season 1 and 2 respectively, and volumes 3-6 were Season 3 (plus the first episode of Season 4 which repeats on the first disc of season 4). And according the TVShowsonDVD announcement, that season 3 set will be the same discs relabeled again.

There's nothing wrong at this point with waiting for that season 3 set, though. It may be cheaper than buying the 4 separate volumes. But really, no matter what version of this you get, the on-disc content is the same.

The complete series set was pretty cool as a novelty item and the consistent labeling of the discs, but the lack of protection of the discs would drive me nuts the way they are in the package, and at the end of the day I would have done what I already did with my separate releases... transferred them to a couple of large 12 disc cases with custom labeling.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    It would be heresy if I didn't *want* them. Technically, this is sloth, since I didn't go and get them when they were available.
    you got me.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Has anyone else missed out on a DVD collection that they really wanted?
    Nope. Got every single one I wanted that was available on a legal release format.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

A bunch of em
    Jem
    Go-bots
    power rangers
    thundercats(And possibly others)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Full Russ Meyer collection including the early stuff... and the Twin Peaks box set that INCLUDES the Pilot...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Ditto for me -- but at least Shout Factory has put out a complete series set that's just missing a few extras that are exclusive to the Matrix of Leadership set.

I'm also currently missing He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 2 Volume 1 -- I was moving a few years ago and had picked up everything else but that set at the time and waited on that set. After that the prices just went up and up on the S2V1 so I've not ordered it [I had hoped that the MillCreek sets would drive prices down but no such luck] one of these days when I have some extra cash handy I'm just going to have to order it and hope to get it for around $70. I could kick myself for not buying these back when Best Buy had everything on sale at $10 a set several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    A bunch of em
    Jem
    Go-bots
    power rangers
    thundercats(And possibly others)
    All of the shows you listed (assuming that you are refering to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) are still available (in the case of Jem it's the more recent Shout Factory set). Yes, some are pricey, but it's not because they are out of print or anything like that.

I think what transfan80 meant are sets that people never got around to buying which then went out of print and now go for huge mark-ups on ebay, the amazon marketplace, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I'm also currently missing He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 2 Volume 1 -- I was moving a few years ago and had picked up everything else but that set at the time and waited on that set. After that the prices just went up and up on the S2V1 so I've not ordered it [I had hoped that the MillCreek sets would drive prices down but no such luck] one of these days when I have some extra cash handy I'm just going to have to order it and hope to get it for around $70. I could kick myself for not buying these back when Best Buy had everything on sale at $10 a set several years ago.
    What I don't get is why Season 2 Volume 1 is so expensive and Season 2 Volume 2 isn't. I would figure that with each set they probably made a lesser amount than the set before since the trend with old TV shows on DVD is that people get their nostalgia "fix" with the earlier releases and don't always go on to buy the later ones.

But with that often being the case, I would expect S2V2 to be as rare if not more so than S2V1, yet that's not the case.

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    To be fair, the bonus disc is the only thing missing from the current complete series set. While it's a nice extra, you're not missing out on too much for the most part. The only real issue I have with it though is with the fact that the "Secret Files of Teletran II" segments from season 3 are only available on the MOL exclusive disc, whereas the earlier Rhino sets had them at the end of the appropriate episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    She-Ra Princess of Power Season Two from BCI.
    I am in the same boat with Classic Media's complete series set. I bought S2 on eBay after BCI went under, but the disc with the defective episode was no longer replaceable and, as with the TMNT set, I did not have the money in time to buy the later set before it went out of prodution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    From what I understand, the only actual difference between the individual volumes, the discs in that complete series set, and the discs that will be in that season 3 set is literally just the label on the disc.

The complete series set was all of the exact same discs from the volumes 1-6 and season 4-10 releases with new labels on them. Volumes 1 and 2 were season 1 and 2 respectively, and volumes 3-6 were Season 3 (plus the first episode of Season 4 which repeats on the first disc of season 4). And according the TVShowsonDVD announcement, that season 3 set will be the same discs relabeled again.

There's nothing wrong at this point with waiting for that season 3 set, though. It may be cheaper than buying the 4 separate volumes. But really, no matter what version of this you get, the on-disc content is the same.

The complete series set was pretty cool as a novelty item and the consistent labeling of the discs, but the lack of protection of the discs would drive me nuts the way they are in the package, and at the end of the day I would have done what I already did with my separate releases... transferred them to a couple of large 12 disc cases with custom labeling.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ont-covers.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ack-covers.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...mnt-spines.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...tmnt-angle.jpg
    The packaging was one of the reasons I held off, to be honest. My 10-disc Toy Story set is packaged in a similar manner, and I'm always worried that the stiff material the discs are held in will scratch them up.

Love the job you did with those custom covers. I would love having something like to put them in, but sadly art is not my forte.

And I am with you on Captain N as well. I loved that show as a kid and I wish I had bought it when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    All of the shows you listed (assuming that you are refering to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) are still available (in the case of Jem it's the more recent Shout Factory set). Yes, some are pricey, but it's not because they are out of print or anything like that.

I think what transfan80 meant are sets that people never got around to buying which then went out of print and now go for huge mark-ups on ebay, the amazon marketplace, etc.
    This is correct. Though at least in the case of Jem he could have been referring to the Rhino sets.

I actually wasn't aware that Thundercats was still available. Thank goodness for second chances!
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

Transformers: Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory Australian Madman release (This is the only set that has the English dub for all 3 series)
    Thundercats Season 2 part 2
    She-Ra (I bought the “Best Of” set but passed on the series.)
    M.A.S.K.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    NA He-man one and two. I didn't want them but now my son does and As I have the other 4 box sets with the BCI packaging I wish I had snagged them when I could.

I know how to get the TMNT complete box set in turtle van
    And the complete Jem series
    Just PM for info and price
    Oh and the He-man 30th anniversary set

Ha, interesting....

For the first of my two custom box covers, I used some old art that I found online from one of the old VHS releases (the second cover is also from a different VHS release). It looks like great minds think alike... check out the official cover for the Season 3 release....

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18393
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; May 1, 2013 at 05:48pm.

My list is kinda short as I'm pretty good at getting dvds when they come out that I really want but here they are:

Sailor Moon (dubbed and subbed) the DIC dubbed episodes on dvd are out of print and some are quite hard to come by. I was without a job when they started selling them and I only managed to pick up a few out of the entire sets. I also never got the season 1 and 2 sets as they were not easy to come by and I dont like buying dvds online for some reason. Not to mention the price of them was insane. I am hoping the old series gets a new re-release with the new cartoon coming later this year.

Mio in The Land of Faraway- I constantly passed by this at Best Buy numerous times and I shouldn't have. I used to watch this all the time as a kid. The dvd was there but was printed around the same time as the Sailor Moon DIC dvds so I was buying them instead of this movie. Now it seems to be worth an arm and a leg.

Dairugger XV- I probably shouldn't say I've missed out on this set. I have volume 1 and I managed to score Volume 3 for a steal compared to its prices now. But as of yet I haven't picked up the second volume and I need to. Before I have an incomplete set.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

She-Ra Princess of Power DVD for me. I want the complete series. Especially since my daughter is almost 3. I think she would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind View Post
    Dairugger XV- I probably shouldn't say I've missed out on this set. I have volume 1 and I managed to score Volume 3 for a steal compared to its prices now. But as of yet I haven't picked up the second volume and I need to. Before I have an incomplete set.
    There are two copies of Volume 2 listed in the Amazon Marketplace right now. One is listed at $20.99 + $3.99 shipping...... the other (and I am NOT joking about this) is listed for $22,879.35 + $3.99 shipping. I think the shipping is what puts the cost of that second listing over the top!

I basically have every other one of the BCI MOTU releases through She-ra but nothing from NA. Now the interesting thing is, and I wonder if this has something do with the prices right now, the ones I don't have are ones I never found at the store.

There are some others I am missing, for other shows I have picked up recently though, missed season 4 of Teen Titans, I am missing one of the Justice League volumes. I only have some of the Fraggle Rock stuff. Some of that though isn't expensive I am just pacing myself on filling in holes.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I need Clone Wars seasons 3-5 (actually 5's not out yet but...)
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Heroic Warrior
    1.Transformers Matrix of Leadership(I have the season 3and 4 set)
    2.Gijoe complete series foot locker and DIC series season 2
    "These are the days of high adventure"

"Highway to Heaven" Season 2-5
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.