Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Dragon Blaster Skeletor Discussion Thread

I dont hate the head, but I do agree I would have liked something maybe a little meaner looking
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I am loving this variant. The dragon head is a bit different but I don't hate it. It looks like it isn't put on completely (much like many other Matty pics).

I love the changes to Skeletor. I hope they don't change him from this. A water sword would have been really cool.

Simple, possible theory?

This thing looks quite a bit different from any depiction of the dragon I'm seeing.

The shape of the head, though? Aside from the larger teeth and horns, the structure is a bit similar to that of the skull from Terror Claws Skeletor. I've wondered if Skeletor was keeping the skull of this monster around after he was done the piggyback routine. Perhaps in classics, both accessories have been made into the same creature, pre and post death? Maybe the Terror Claws skull will have horns and huge teeth.

Or maybe not. I'm not even criticizing the MOTUC design, since I still think it looks pretty cool and I've got no history with the vintage toy or it's appearances in artwork so it doesn't really feel particularly wrong to me. Still, I find the design choice puzzling since there's so often such a direct basis for the direction a design takes in these figures.

It seems like an open mouth would make sense, regardless of the dragon's appearance, since I assume the reason he's all snuggied up on Skeletor is so he can be used as a weapon to "blast" our heroes with water, poison, or whatever. Perhaps they thought that made him look like he was constantly trying to eat Skeletor's head? No idea.

Ideally, my hope for this figure was a separate articulated dragon figure that could be attached, but there's no way that could fit in a standard figure's budget and a separate figure wouldn't be able to smoosh as close to Skelly' back as necessary.

Anyway, I think he looks cool overall! I love seeing a Skeletor in full vintage toy-accurate parts! And regardless of my confusion over what's still a nifty looking dragon head in my opinion, I think making it removable and compatible with the standard figure neck post was a brilliant idea.

His armor is stunning, simple and well done. I like that he kept his Skellie loin cloth and I think it was clever to put those forearms and shins on him.
    I am totally diggin' the little dragon. His back teeth look like they kind tusk-y which is working for me. I hope they kind of jut out because I wil likely pose him face forward.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

The figure looks cool so far and I think emailing subscribers reveals like this is a great idea, hooooowever, I have 2 regular subs and one 30th and haven't gotten any of these emails.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; June 6, 2012 at 10:53pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    One of my top favs and the figure is PERFECT, but yeah the Dragon head sucks IMO. It looks so bootleg.... I would have really enjoyed a more playful face than some toothy goblin :/
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Simple, possible theory?

This thing looks quite a bit different from any depiction of the dragon I'm seeing.

The shape of the head, though? Aside from the larger teeth and horns, the structure is a bit similar to that of the skull from Terror Claws Skeletor. I've wondered if Skeletor was keeping the skull of this monster around after he was done the piggyback routine. Perhaps in classics, both accessories have been made into the same creature, pre and post death? Maybe the Terror Claws skull will have horns and huge teeth.
    Man that would be awesome! Even if they don't end up making that connection I'm totally doing that for my own story.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Aside from the larger teeth and horns, the structure is a bit similar to that of the skull from Terror Claws Skeletor. I've wondered if Skeletor was keeping the skull of this monster around after he was done the piggyback routine.
    That is what I have always imagined.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    cool hes got the other fin arms & legs. nice. with this can build the desired skeletor
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    The teeth look fine to me. I like the figure.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The toy's mouth was V-shaped, which looks way more realistic than that square row of teeth
    ha! You're right - shows how long it has been since I broke out the vintage one lol

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Im sorry friend but it doesnt matter what he shows, TG cant win for losing with this place. If it would have been NA Skelly people would have been saying he was dumb for not doing DB Skelly during the year of the dragon, or what do we get TP but no DB skelly to go with him or that it was leaked in the mini comic leak so TG "changed" the line up to mix things up.
    I don't think people would have been disappointed with a NA Skeletor... the 4H are likely to make him pretty awesome. Plus, it would have been a nice gift to the NA fans, who more than deserve a few more figures... I know we just got Slush Head, but we can have more than one NA figure in a year Maybe there will be a NA hero before the year is out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    "NA Skelly? Epic fail Scott. We all wanted DB Skelly to go with our TP He-Man, the same way you gave us both BA figures the same year. I was really looking forward to DB Skelly to go with my Draego Man and finish the year off with my Granamyr to match. smh"
    You wouldn't have heard that from me. I would have been really excited for NA Skelly.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    I'm so shocked at this new revelation! He looks great though!

EDIT

Hey Scott, didn't you call me a liar? I even told about the removable dragon lol ! I'm glad you didn't change it given the rumor mill so that's cool though.
    When did Scott call you a liar about DB Skeletor?

And, you have to admit, it's pretty much logic to guess that DB Skeletor was coming... after all, the TM came up several months ago... and we did just get TP He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Without wrecking anything from the comic, the changes in his appearance are explained pretty cleverly.
    Why don't you tell us... Heaven knows, over the years, I've taken the risk to be blatant about stuff I've heard or seen... If you tell us, it will only make you more credible.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    the rumor is....if you have more than just "the club eternia" sub you may not get the emails.
    if you JUST had the club eternia sub you would get them. yup, makes NO SENSE at all.
    I have Club Eternia and the 30th Sub... I received the email. It may just be a weird snafu in their system... that would make sense
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Father of Dragons. I never planned on Draego Man joining Skeletor in my cannon til now.

I don't know, for me the lack of an open mouth or a more menacing head is throwing it off big time for me. Even the Vintage one is a little more menacing. It's interesting they went the direction with Draego Man and a more tame dragon head with this. Going to assume they're just going to copy the Filmation design with Granamyr into 3D.

Last edited by SCB; June 6, 2012 at 11:16pm.

Why do people keep saying BA He-Man and Skeletor came out in the same year? They were released 14 months apart....

Hindsight is 80/70

I am just SUPER thrilled that we will finally be getting a Vintage toy accurate Skeletor finally for MOTUC. I am already planning to buy me 4 of these when they come out just so I can go back and update the forearms and shins on all of my other Skeletor figures to be vintage toy accurate also.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The dragon really doesn't look nice. The curse of Classics-itis strikes again. Like Leech, Stratos, Buzz Off and Whiplash they've slavishly replicated the original toy look, when they should have used their talents to create a whole new design, making the dragon look more ferocious and realistic complete with a much better head. Skeletor looks nice, but the dragon doesn't, and that's the main selling point.
    That's the point, Krueger !
    I agree with you; I really don't care about Skeletor's forearms nor loincloths.
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor just needs an awesome Dragon !
    It seens they made the same Clawful mistake...

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    This dragon looks like his name was "Gnasher" so I'll use that to refer to him from now on.

The main gripe most people (me inculded) have are those teeth. I myself would not have needed an open mouth, but from this picture it looks a bit over the top as there are way too many teeth in there.
    The 4HM probably wanted Gnasher to look more ferocious than his vintage counterpart, but maybe they wanted that too badly... As is this the variant could be called Dragon Biter Skeletor
    Less might have been more.

Also I think it would have helped a lot if at least Gnasher's back teeth would have been a bit smaller. It would have added a bit of the v-shape:

Original / smaller teeth in the back

I think that green collar (which was also present on the vintage figure btw - just not painted) is removable/turnable. In that case we won't have the lock to block the´view on the dragon's paws. And that's great.
    I'm pretty sure that the dragon won't have any articulation aside from the head (and MAYBE the tail). So Gnasher would most probably be sitting flat on the ground when standing by itself.

In the end I'm really REALLY R E A L L Y happy to finally get him.
    ...Man I'm happy!

Oh and regarding Skeletor...
    he's the very first Skeletor that is true to the vintage sculpt. Those forearms and shins look AWESOME on him! DB Skelly will definately be the variant I'll display in my Preternia setup
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; June 6, 2012 at 11:34pm.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

DB Skeletor was one of my favorite MOTU childhood figures. I am glad we now have a MOTUC version, but I agree with those who say that dragon's head is off. The way the teeth have been sculpted plus their number, it's too comical. Besides, this particular look doesn't seem to have any previous representation as cardback art or in comic books. In this regard, the original cardback art would have been the best source to mimic, in my opinion.
    Evil Master of Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    This dragon looks like his name was "Ripper" so I'll use that to refer to him from now on.

The main gripe most people (me inculded) have are those teeth. I myself would not have needed an open mouth, but from this picture it looks a bit over the top as there are way too many teeth in there.
    The 4HM probably wanted Ripper to look more ferocious than his vintage counterpart, but maybe they wanted that too badly... As is this the variant could be called Dragon Biter Skeletor
    Less might have been more.
    Also I think it would have helped a lot if at least his back teeth would have been a bit smaller. It would have added a bit of the v-shape:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...r_Email_08.jpg
    Original / smaller teeth in the back

I think that green collar (which was also present on the vintage figure btw - just not painted) is removable/turnable. In that case we won't have the lock to block the´view on the dragon's paws. And that's great.
    I'm pretty sure that the dragon won't have any articulation aside from the head (and MAYBE the tail). So the dragon would most probably be sitting flat on the ground when standing by itself.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...r_Email_07.jpg
    Making the back teeth a bit smaller and giving the mouth more a "V" shape really helps the overall look.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Meh, I dunno...it doesn't really look like a dragon to me. More like a cartoon dinosaur or something. Dino-Blast Skeletor?

Cool pics Dragonblaster. I love you you’ve angled the head on the second pic – it looks how I imagine it to look once the head is popped on correctly (remember how the promo pics of Orko and Leech have their heads positioned too high). Are you able to amend the original pic so that the head is repositioned lower?

I understand everyone’s hesitation on the dragon head, especially the teeth, but looking at the glass half full, if he had an open mouth we would have gotten blunted down teeth – at least this way they look sharp and menacing. He may look a bit goofy, but those teeth look like they could do some damage.

I assume the dragon is removable - but it looks like it only is the basic way: as though he's the back part of the armor.

It would have cost more, but an articulated dragon would have been KILLER. It's beautiful looking though - I mean, the teeth are a bit strange, but mabe that will change?
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    Making the back teeth a bit smaller and giving the mouth more a "V" shape really helps the overall look.
    Yes, I think it wouldn't be too hard to change once the figure's here...whenever Mattel allows me to get my hands on him

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Cool pics Dragonblaster Are you able to amend the original pic so that the head is repositioned lower?
    Sure
    Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by Ayota View Post
    I totally agree with you. The vintage dragon head was much stronger and actually less goofy looking. I know some people like MOTU goofy. To me MOTU was never goofy especially when it came to the Lord of Destruction.
    I like the goofy for MOTU since it was orginally aimed at little kids. The MOTUC bios have made that moot what with one of the latest ones reading like a Mortal Kombat fatality. The dragon looks good except for the teeth. They really hurt the toy's look IMO.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I assume the dragon is removable - but it looks like it only is the basic way: as though he's the back part of the armor.
    I think it will be most likely attach similar to Stinkor's gas tanks.
    It would make the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I mean, the teeth are a bit strange, but mabe that will change?
    I'm already getting used to the head. So yeah, it kinda IS changing