Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Dragon Blaster Skeletor Discussion Thread

I think the new forearms and boots are an amazing choice! They really make this figure stand out! "PoP" even...

I think the dragon head looks good. It reminds me a bit of something from a Tim Burton film because of the teeth. I just hope it can stand on it's own!
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Warrior
    Well, that's kind of disappointing. Dragon Blaster Skeletor was *my* Skeletor as a kid.

I'd always planned to get it when released as part of the MOTUC line, but I find the head-sculpt of the dragon really off-putting. The mouth and teeth just seem to be comically over-sized and overtly cartoon-like instead of being threatening or intimidating.

I realise the "open mouth" sculpt of the vintage figure would also look quite silly as part of the MOTUC line (although I think MOTUC Kobra Khan looks quite good with his head-sculpt), but the dragon's head kind of ruins the entire figure for me. I'm hopeful that further photos (perhaps a "head-on" photo) will alleviate my concernes, because I really wanted the updated version of my childhood Skeletor.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Happy for those who wanted DB Skeletor, but I seriously hope the next variant is something other than MOTU.
    Paws up if you want Toy Catra! *raises paw*
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

well looks like you can put Drago Man's head on if you want a scary dragon lol

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...067#8841084067
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I don't know... this figure doesn't really 'pop' for me! Maybe if they swapped the forearms or something...
    Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    NA Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Paws up if you want Toy Catra! *raises paw*

Last edited by Tallstar; June 6, 2012 at 07:28pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Loved the vintage figure and the mini comic. LOOOOOVE this MOTUC variant.

So happy with the real metal chains and the dragon!

I hope they keep going in order with the vintage variants...because I really want Terror Claws Skeletor too and that will bring an end to the vintage variants.
    Not quite, unless you count Buzz-Saw Hordak, Laser Power He-Man and Laser Light Skeletor. 5 more variants to go, unless fans don't want Buzzsaw Hordak or the Laser Variants. If we are following the vintage variant order, the vintage variants will be finished by the end of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Happy for those who wanted DB Skeletor, but I seriously hope the next variant is something other than MOTU.
    The fourth variant won't be NA since He-Man and Skelly already have their yearly variants and Hoove, Flogg and Hydron haven't come out yet. Maybe NA will see some variants at SDCC for 2013.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Although the head looks less like the vintage card back art, I can deal with it. My concern is with the rest of the dragon's body. I really want it to be a complete dragon with 2 arms and 2 legs. Preferably to hands on Skeletor's Shoulders --- or at least one hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    I don't know... this figure doesn't really 'pop' for me! Maybe if they swapped the forearms or something...
    lol... Please, don't tempt them.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    well looks like you can put Drago Man's head on if you want a scary dragon lol

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...067#8841084067
    That is AWESOME!!!! That makes this guy super monkey nut balls (SMNB)!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I like these subscriber e-mails, it's always a nice surprise! Also like how they used Khan's shins & Whiplash's forearms!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    At first I was very happy with DB Skeletor, but the more I look the sculpt, Im more dissapoited.

The Dragon must look like this:

But instead it looks like a piñata:

TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    At first I was very happy with DB Skeletor, but the more I look the sculpt, Im more dissapoited.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...aster_full.jpg

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/...vivaPinata.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...r_Email_05.jpg

Or like this:

5950442234_a095130c4f_z.jpg

Yeah, the dragon could do with a more viscous sculpt. I think the open mouth would help a lot.

Never had this guy as a kid, and with the rampant speculation the last few weeks I was actually looking forward to this being the variant. Alas, we have another Clawful - figure looks fantastic... until you get to the head. And am I the only one that thinks it's odd the dragon is NOT looking forward? Aiming for Stratos, perhaps? I'm glad it's swappable, though. There are plenty of dragon action figures out there that I can use for transplant surgery.

So I'm 95% happy with this variant, and the other 5% can be dealt with accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Oh no... Man, I usually don't complain about little things like this but... That dragon looks bad. maybe it's a first impression, I don't know... I was hoping the dragon would be a bit more menacing and realistic... I always hoped that the dragon would have his hand on Skeletor's shoulder as if he's clinging to his back or something.
    Yeah. The best iteration of him was the cardback art..
    Dragon cb.jpg
    Looked like the toy, but more realistic and less cartoony. Now we have this one,
    Crap.jpg
    that is more cartoony and doesn't look like the toy. This one also looks better,
    db george.jpg
    as does this one.
    db goerge2.jpg
    and they both still look like the toy.

But the real reason it looks goofy, is because it does look unrealistic. Not because it is a dragon, but because there is no way the dragon could open or close his mouth with all of those teeth, especially the ones in the back, as they are too close together, and the ones in the back are the worst part of the problem,as eluded to by this post..
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The toy's mouth was V-shaped, which looks way more realistic than that square row of teeth
    Attachment 76479
    That is why I will be getting a hold of another original head and modding it like this.
    db custom.jpg

It may be goofy, but at least it looks like the original, and is not biologically and mechanically impossible. Besides that, I don't think the MOTUC one looks that great even as a surreal art piece. If the horsemen did sculpt this, it is one of the few times I have been let down. I liked Leech's head, It was just too big for the regular buck. Clawfull's head at least looked vintage. I don't understand this one at all.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Now I want a variant of the variant...

A spitting water head!!!

Granymir must include now an extra head for the Dragon Blaster...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Dragon cb.jpg
    Looked like the toy, but more realistic and less cartoony. Now we have this one,
    Crap.jpg
    that is more cartoony and doesn't look like the toy. This one also looks better,
    db george.jpg
    as does this one.
    db goerge2.jpg

But the real reason it looks goofy, is because it does look unrealistic. Not because it is a dragon, but because there is no way the dragon could open or close his mouth with all of those teeth, especially the ones in the back, as they are too close together, and the ones in the back are the worst part of the problem,as eluded to by this post..

That is why I will be getting a hold of another original head and modding it like this.
    db custom.jpg

It may be goofy, but at least it looks like the original, and is not biologically and mechanically impossible. Besides that, I don't think the MOTUC one looks that great even as a surreal art piece. If the horsemen did sculpt this, it is one of the few times I have been let down. I liked Leech's head, It was just too big for the regular buck. Clawfull's head at least looked vintage. I don't understand this one at all.
    Amazing post !
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Amazing post !
    Thanks.
    I'm glad you agree. I just made a poll to vote if you like the new head or not here since so many people seem to not like it either. Please vote if you like it or not!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/...vivaPinata.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...r_Email_05.jpg

Nice concept art there. Thanks for posting.

Why am I not getting these subscriber emails? Dragon Blaster Skeletor looks awesome.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Not quite, unless you count Buzz-Saw Hordak, Laser Power He-Man and Laser Light Skeletor. 5 more variants to go, unless fans don't want Buzzsaw Hordak or the Laser Variants. If we are following the vintage variant order, the vintage variants will be finished by the end of 2014.
    I was just talking about Skeletor variants there. But yeah, those are mostly pointless variants that most people could probably live without.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Dragon cb.jpg
    Crap.jpg
    db george.jpg
    as does this one.
    db goerge2.jpg

db custom.jpg

Don't forget the mini comic....

-=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Awesome news! But once again, I did not receive the email. Neither in my inbox or my spam. And I am a Matty subscriber and receive the other emails...

The dragon really doesn't look nice. The curse of Classics-itis strikes again. Like Leech, Stratos, Buzz Off and Whiplash they've slavishly replicated the original toy look, when they should have used their talents to create a whole new design, making the dragon look more ferocious and realistic complete with a much better head. Skeletor looks nice, but the dragon doesn't, and that's the main selling point.

To those who received this and the Mekaneck e-mail: do you have the newsletter opt-in checked off under your profile on Matty?

Bah. I really hope they throw in Draego-Man's shield with this variant and not Granamyr. I have no desire to get Granamyr, but I really want that shield.

Well, I think Kevin Kosse will have more work soon...

Heroic Warrior
    Now THAT... is what I'm talkin' about. That sketch is exactly what we should be getting.