Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Dragon Blaster Skeletor Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I think the problem here is that the Fab Four have set the bar pretty high with re-dos like Bow and the NA figures; most folks, myself included were expecting something like that with DB Skeletor. The original dragon was pretty sad, let's be honest, and I was hoping to see a major upgrade on it's appearance. We didn't really get that here. When even a mediocre variant like TP He-Man was hit out of the park with a few little extra touches, seeing this head is a bit of a letdown, as it could have been much more striking given the Horsemen's track record.

The rest of the figure is fine, it's just that mouth that brings it all down; the huge white teeth just overwhelm everything else, drawing attention in all the wrong ways. Sometimes even the best let loose with a misfire, and this one seems to be that case with the Fab Four.
    Very good post.

However, the Fab-Four appear to be transforming into the Drab-Four.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    The dragon should be able to stand or sit on its own as a mostly solid piece like Cringer. It was an obvious choice. Mattel blew it big time.
    Why is it an obvious choice? the classic on didnt come off, and they did at least give him a ball jointed head. Most of it comes down to cost, it just didnt cost out to make him a "mini" figure
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Why is it an obvious choice? the classic on didnt come off, and they did at least give him a ball jointed head. Most of it comes down to cost, it just didnt cost out to make him a "mini" figure
    This is what I am saying, I get the dislike for the head, but the original Dragon was an accessory, not a separate figure. There are no deluxe MOTUC figures, every basic figure is cost out the same, he may have been a bit more in the 80's than the rest, but in Classics he gets the same treatment as the others. I mean they didn't even articulate Cringer much, and he WAS part of an exclusive release, but even he was viewed as an accessory to Marlena, just like the Dragon is to Skeletor.

And everyone should be glad he looks much better than SMAA, and has much more stuff than he did.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Why is it an obvious choice? the classic on didnt come off, and they did at least give him a ball jointed head. Most of it comes down to cost, it just didn't cost out to make him a "mini" figure
    Better question - how would it not cost out? If the dragon was made to attach in a different manner other than by a peg he could detach from Skeletor and either hold himself up in a sitting or slinking position. I don't see it as a matter of cost at all, just a design flaw. The dragon could have held onto Skeletor's back by laying his paw/hands/claws over the top of his shoulders or through some other manner. Then when detached - without a peg or a hole on his belly, he could have sat on his own with his tail behind him.

Unfortunately since I am not an illustrator what I'm seeing in my head and the mental picture I'm creating for you might not work out. But trust me, it could have been done. Its all a matter of the how the dragon is designed.

Or for that matter, even though I believe 100% this could be done, let's say for some reason it can't. In that case, do a different figure for the quarterly slot and find a slot that works for DB Skeletor at a $25.00 price point. or $27.00 outside of the sub under current pricing. I'd rather wait 6 months or a year longer and see this figure or any figure done better. Recently it seems the amount of love going into their design isn't what it used to be.

Having a dragon as nothing more than a decorative piece of armor in 2012 because that's the way it was 20 something years ago is odd reasoning in my book.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Better question - how would it not cost out? If the dragon was made to attach in a different manner other than by a peg he could detach from Skeletor and either hold himself up in a sitting or slinking position. I don't see it as a matter of cost at all, just a design flaw. The dragon could have held onto Skeletor's back by laying his paw/hands/claws over the top of his shoulders or through some other manner. Then when detached - without a peg or a hole on his belly, he could have sat on his own with his tail behind him.

Unfortunately since I am not an illustrator what I'm seeing in my head and the mental picture I'm creating for you might not work out. But trust me, it could have been done. Its all a matter of the how the dragon is designed.

Or for that matter, even though I believe 100% this could be done, let's say for some reason it can't. In that case, do a different figure for the quarterly slot and find a slot that works for DB Skeletor at a $25.00 price point. or $27.00 outside of the sub under current pricing. I'd rather wait 6 months or a year longer and see this figure or any figure done better. Recently it seems the amount of love going into their design isn't what it used to be.

Having a dragon as nothing more than a decorative piece of armor in 2012 because that's the way it was 20 something years ago is odd reasoning in my book.
    I think you are just over simplifying it, you are talking about spending money on tooling that really isnt needed. Most people will display DB Skelly with the dragon on his back even it could come off.

and as far as charging more for it, when most people will still just display it with it on his back makes no sense.

Ever figure that is released, people always seem to have their pie in the sky thoughts on what the figure "should" be.

i still think most MOTU "fans" really do not know how good this line is compared to the rest of the toy world.

i still think the head is not perfect, but the figure over all looks amazing, if some people dont, oh well thats life
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I wonder why they didn't use the cowl from Alacala Skeletor instead of using the same bonnet we have seen on all Skeletor figures. It would help further differentiate him and COWL > BONNET.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I wonder why they didn't use the cowl from Alacala Skeletor instead of using the same bonnet we have seen on all Skeletor figures. It would help further differentiate him and COWL > BONNET.
    because the cowl and head are all one sculpt. They'd have to tool a whole new head or use the Alcala head itself. And while I will admit the hood is nicer the Alcla face is UGLY and I don't ever want to see it on another figure
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

I think you are just over simplifying it, you are talking about spending money on tooling that really isnt needed. Most people will display DB Skelly with the dragon on his back even it could come off.

and as far as charging more for it, when most people will still just display it with it on his back makes no sense.

Ever figure that is released, people always seem to have their pie in the sky thoughts on what the figure "should" be.

i still think most MOTU "fans" really do not know how good this line is compared to the rest of the toy world.

i still think the head is not perfect, but the figure over all looks amazing, if some people dont, oh well thats life
    I want to see the dragon removable because I like the idea of Skeletor having some additional little creatures/minions that he will occasionally use to carry out his schemes. I do believe it was possible to do so, but if you don't mind it as is, I'm happy for you. Don't presume to say you know what the majority of fans would prefer. I'm just talking about my own opinions because I can only represent myself. You should do the same. I'm sure there are many fans who agree with each of us.

That brings us to your last comment you think it's over all amazing. I'm glad you do. I think lots of MOTUC figures are amazing that others have taken issue with. I just hope you remember your comment when there is an issue that truly displeases you. When you post about your issue, I'm sure someone will be there to remind you "oh well thats life".
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar

Why isnīt that really needed? I was also hoping they would design him in a way he could stand on his own like in the minicomic. Why make him detachable anyway , when he canīt stand on his own? That does not make sense at all
    Still hope weīll get a new Dragonfigure one day or i have to make my own.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Very good post.

However, the Fab-Four appear to be transforming into the Drab-Four.
    In fairness, this is the first thing they've done that's really missing the mark. Stinkor turned out great before the arm flip and paint apps cut, and Slushy was another home run for the NA team. Things like Spector and Laserlot aren't their designs, so we can't hold them accountable for them. Frosta's face wasn't a final version, either, so we need to wait to see the finished product there. Chomp-Or the Dragon definitely came up short, but, fortunately, one blip isn't a pattern. I'm still anxious to see what they've got in store for SDCC.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    because the cowl and head are all one sculpt. They'd have to tool a whole new head or use the Alcala head itself. And while I will admit the hood is nicer the Alcla face is UGLY and I don't ever want to see it on another figure
    I happen to think aside from a Filmation head, that the Alcala head is the better Skeletor head.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Why isnīt that really needed? I was also hoping they would design him in a way he could stand on his own like in the minicomic. Why make him detachable anyway , when he canīt stand on his own? That does not make sense at allhttp://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...ge024_full.jpg
    Still hope weīll get a new Dragonfigure one day or i have to make my own.
    He's detachable, because like all other backpacks....he is an accessory, and designed to make the armor removable....no matter if he's supposed to be a separate character / beast / whatever, he is just an accessory, like Cringer & the birds...Zoar / Screech...etc....1 or 2 points of articulation....blah blah.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    ...., he is just an accessory, like Cringer & the birds...Zoar / Screech...etc....1 or 2 points of articulation....blah blah.
    Sure and thatīs why he should be able to stand on his own. Nevermind im waiting for better pics now. Maybe we are all wrong and heīll look splendid from the front.

How does the dragon head look on Clawful's buck. I read that some may try this option, any photo shopped pics done to see if it looks good or not?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

In fairness, this is the first thing they've done that's really missing the mark. Stinkor turned out great before the arm flip and paint apps cut, and Slushy was another home run for the NA team. Things like Spector and Laserlot aren't their designs, so we can't hold them accountable for them. Frosta's face wasn't a final version, either, so we need to wait to see the finished product there. Chomp-Or the Dragon definitely came up short, but, fortunately, one blip isn't a pattern. I'm still anxious to see what they've got in store for SDCC.
    True. I think the Dragon just reminds me of Leech & Clawful, which I consider major fails.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

You could always use an extra Draego head on the Dragon, then replace the Muppet head of Clawful with the Dragon head, then give the Muppet head to SLL. Then Wakka Wakka Wakka!!! Sir Wakka Lot
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    True. I think the Dragon just reminds me of Leech & Clawful, which I consider major fails.
    So i need him, to fulfill my collection, if only he had two heads...

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Let's not forget She-Ra version 1. Whatever the 4HM and Mattel have to say about making a Filmation-inspired body, they could have at least made the skirt slits so she could sit on Swift Wind...

And considering the 4HM have, in the past, taken cues from the MOTU comics (e.g. Horde Prime's alternate head), I think Jim Pansen's scans present a very good argument for why a dragon that can't be displayed standing next to Skeletor is a major failure. I love the vast majority of the 4HM's work, but this is a complete let-down, especially considering the extra time they could have dovoted to DB Skeletor because they're no longer working on a DC or Ghostbusters line.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    If Dragon Blaster hasnīt been into production, It must be delayed or canceled.

This is not the kind of garbage I want to buy, BUT IM FORCED TO, so why I have to get an "ANIME HYPER DETAILED" head in a vintage style collection?

This is the first time I get dissapointed by a 4H sculpt, so I want to know as a buyer. Was the design of the head a 4H choice or a Mattel choice?
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I don't like the head, but I honestly don't see anything about it that specifically tells me it wasn't done by the Horsemen. The detail and such is there; it's just the choice to over-emphasize the teeth that ruins it for me. The Fab Four usually balance the elements better, but I can still see this as their work. Now, it may be that they were working from someone else's design suggestions, but we don't have any real information on that as yet.

I think it would be good for TG to clear up the confusion simply because it is causing some consternation here, and, if this was design intruding on what has traditionally been the Horsemen's territory, it's a good case for not doing so again. Looking over the history of the line, it seems to work out badly when design moves in on the Horsemen's turf, like the Sorceress' wings, so, if this is another case of the same, I hope some lessons are learned.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like the head, but I honestly don't see anything about it that specifically tells me it wasn't done by the Horsemen. The detail and such is there; it's just the choice to over-emphasize the teeth that ruins it for me. The Fab Four usually balance the elements better, but I can still see this as their work. Now, it may be that they were working from someone else's design suggestions, but we don't have any real information on that as yet.

I think it would be good for TG to clear up the confusion simply because it is causing some consternation here, and, if this was design intruding on what has traditionally been the Horsemen's territory, it's a good case for not doing so again. Looking over the history of the line, it seems to work out badly when design moves in on the Horsemen's turf, like the Sorceress' wings, so, if this is another case of the same, I hope some lessons are learned.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    It would suprised me, if the dragon would have any further articulation. After Cringer, I think it was pretty clear, that such accessory beasts are solid without any limb articulation...

I also think, that most fans will pose Skeletor with the dragon on his back...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    It would suprised me, if the dragon would have any further articulation. After Cringer, I think it was pretty clear, that such accessory beasts are solid without any limb articulation...

I also think, that most fans will pose Skeletor with the dragon on his back...
    I think folks weren't asking for articulation; just a static pose that allows the dragon to look normal on the ground. I certainly don't mind the dragon not having any articulation but the ball-jointed head. That's perfect! I just wanted him to look normal off Skelly's back.

As for the "most fans" thing: Why would that suddenly matter now? How will "most fans" pose Stinkor? 200X items on or off? If they could figure out how "most fans" would pose him, would they have nixed the extra items? The point is that they go out of thier way to give us both options. I'm gona go out on a limb and guess that "most fans" pose Mer-Man with the cardback head - BUT - they gave you the original toy head as well for that extra option. All anyone is asking for is that extra option that so many other figures have; nothing more. Well, okay that's all I'm asking for (can't speak for everyone). No extra articulation...just a pre-molded pose (like Cringer) for the dragon that makes him look normal on Skelly's back or off.

Finally, of course, there is no way to tell if that is even possible or not - yet. We haven't seen enough of the figure. Toyguru says the dragon isn't molded to look normal off Skelly's back, but we've been told a lot of things before that were either misunderstood or could be taken with a grain of salt. I could be wrong, but I'll bet I can still find a way to make the dragon look normal while off Skelly's back. We'll see.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Just replace the Dragon with Stinkor's gas tanks or something else we can plug in there. I'll put the Dragon on Stinkor's back.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    I'm very surprised to hear the fans saying they would rather of had the dragon be able to stand on the ground, essentially be a seperate figure. I would never expect that to have happened. The dragon as it is (a back pack piniata) is fine. the only problem I see with the figure is the lack of dragon hands on Skeletor's shoulders and the sculpt of the head itself. Skeletor looks fantastic though... good call to give him the different boots and forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I'm very surprised to hear the fans saying they would rather of had the dragon be able to stand on the ground, essentially be a seperate figure. I would never expect that to have happened. The dragon as it is (a back pack piniata) is fine. the only problem I see with the figure is the lack of dragon hands on Skeletor's shoulders and the sculpt of the head itself. Skeletor looks fantastic though... good call to give him the different boots and forearms.
    Both points I agree - lack of dragon hands (maybe they're still there just under the lock in a puppy pose which would suck)
    the head is badly designed, hope this "t-rex" type head looks better on Clawful at least

Skeletor on the other hand looks great!!
    Wonder when are we getting the Keldor swords though?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post

I agree !

First, Mattel should replace dragon's head !
    I do not find any reference of this head they created. It's all new design. The teeth and the head shape ruin the figure.
    Also, I expected much more in this figure, like dragon's hands/paws on Skelly shoulders...
    Since TG has been saying that next year we will get more elaborate figures (because the prices will high), I would prefer to see DBS in 2013. This is one the character I know deserves 4H devotion !

On the other hand, Skeletor looks terrifc !!!!