Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Slush Head Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Slush Head Video Review by Pixel Dan

Slush Head has arrived! Here's my review of the second Space Mutant and third NA figure in MOTUC!

As always, any questions just ask!
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; May 14, 2012 at 03:03pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Yay I have been waiting for your reviews
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Great review as always, really looking forward to him and stinkor!

Honestly? Not impressed with what I'm seeing. His head doesn't turn?! Even Man-E-Faces has head articulation...for me head articulation is one of the most important parts, and here it's completely compromised by a silly action feature. I really would have preferred to see a head/dome that looks like there's water inside. But even with the water, I still don't get how they couldn't make the dome spin around.
    Not happy with the poor ankles, either.
    I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get this one. So far it looks like Icarius is still the jewel of the NA figures (and the entire line).

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Awesome review on this guy. I have to say he's the coolest NA figure we've seen so far outta the 3. MOTU's cooler version of Dr. Octopus. I never liked NA but couldn't be happier with their inclusion into MOTUC. Look forward to and can't wait for the Mighty Spector review...along with the comments to follow!

Also, I lol'd at the Mosquitor slip-in there.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    brilliant review as usual, loving the subliminal message! i do wonder though about the long term effects of the water on the head. one question are you planing to get a new space/scifi intro for na?
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

This is probably one of my most-desired figures in a year full of amazing figures. I think he turned out AMAZINGLY well. The loose ankles are worrying, though. I hope not all of them end up like that. I really do think the liquid in his dome just completes the look of the vintage figure with the way it magnifies his head. I really love the silver they used. It's so shiny! Also like the way the tentacles attach. These can't come soon enough!

Thanks for the review ... just watched it in bed with my kids. Kalamarr was my first NA figure and besides Optic my favourite one, so I'm really looking foreward.

Cheers

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    He looks great, but why oh why are we returning to the days of loose ankles? First cobra khan and now slushy...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

I have never been a fan of NA, BUT the more of them show up, the more I get excited. I'm happy for those who wanted the water feature, but I won't fill mine with any liquid. The only downer here are the ankles, seems like I have to do the clear rubber band fix again, haven't had to do that for quite some time so I guess it's just a very minor issue.

Great review as always Mosquitor-Man.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Nice review once again Dan.
    BTW, is it just me or does the head piece include two domes on top of each other where the water goes in between?
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Thanks for great review Dan.

I must be really tired I thought I saw Mosquitor there for a second... The anticipation must be killing you, I know I'm dying to know how the "blood" will be handled.

I know you've only had him for a day but have you noticed any issues with the water getting cloudy or anything like that?
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Awesome! I have to agree; the way they molded the tentacles makes me not miss the bendy option (besides; the wire would eventually give out in the long run.) They are positioned in such a way that you can get nice action poses or have 'em look like they are waving around behind him.

I love everything about him save for the non-turning head. From what you showed under the armor, it looks like they could have just had the water container...turn. You know? The whole container is a single item anyway - just set into the armor. Why not allow it to turn?

It's a small gripe though, and it looks like it won't get in the way of my enjoying the figure. Just wish they had thought of that simple option.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    great review.
    Glad a lot of care & detail has gone into N/A figures thus far. I personally I'm looking forward to more. Thanks to the 4H.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Sorry to say Dan, but you were wrong regarding the vintage figure's head.
    It's head DID move!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Cool cool. I would have preferred sacrificing the water feature so he could move his head, but no worries.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    Cool cool. I would have preferred sacrificing the water feature so he could move his head, but no worries.
    Well the vintage figure had that feature AND could move his head...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Great review as usual, thx! Shame 'bout the ankles though ... again

Heroic Warrior
    First and most of all, I want to state that Pixel Dan told us something that is untrue : the vintage Slushead, even though he has the water feature, CAN ACTUALLY TURN HIS HEAD (LEFT-RIGHT MOVEMENT) ! I checked this on my vintage version (European version), and yes, the head can actually turn ! And of course, THIS means that the MOTUC version sacrificed a point of articulation for nothing ! Slushead has no head movement whatsoever, and I personally don't like that.

As I feared, this "first time feature" figure (new armor, new water-filling head, new system for the non-bendy tentacles) has its share of problems...

The head is not swappable, so that's another negative point in my book.

The water feature is a cool nod to the vintage fig, though.

It seems like the axe-blaster accessory was not designed to be held as an axe (the blaster handle is round, which gives a better grip, while the part where the axe handle is supposed to be is kind of a square, which shows the axe-wielding possiblity was not really intended). I guess it's a fortunate coincidence that it can be held that way (as an axe). It can be held that way, sure, but due to the design not taking this axe-wielding possibility into acount, the grip is somewhat loose...

Alas, LOOSE ANKLES are back ! It is now official. It somewhat started with Kobra Khan and Thunderpunch He-Man, and we were all able to see in Dan's video that Slushead's ankles are loose enough so that the figure regularly falls on its face ! I just can't believe that after almost 4 years (and a letter requesting that, amongst other things, THIS particular problems was fixed), the very SAME problems we got at the beginning of the line keep popping up !

Mattel didn't correct any of their QC mistakes. Reversed parts (cf. Stinkor's forearms), loose ankles, sloppy paintjobs keep popping up in this line, and Mattel brushes it all off and sweeps it under the rug, stating that "this always happens" when you make and sell toys - which is clearly false. I have many figures from many different lines, and MOTUC is one of the few lines that has a lot of recurring QC problems (since they were NEVER fixed).

A good point is the non-bendy tentacles ! Bendy material on such thin appendages would have caused fragility and breakage. I'm happy that Mattel stopped the bendy craziness (cf. Snout Spout's decaying trunk and Hssss's fragile bendy snakes) !

Sure, Slushead LOOKS cool, but he suffers from design and QC flaws, in my opinion. This means I won't be able to enjoy him as much as I'd have liked to.

I also wish Slushead's skin would have benefitted from the vintage design : vintage Slushead had tiny "squids' suction cups" carved on this skin. This is a minro point, but it would have been nice. Of course, the "heavy parts reuse" and "cost-cutting" policies suppressed that possibilty altogether...

The sample figures come later and later for the preview (we got the preview just 2 days before the actual day of sale ! And that's when we actually have samples sent in time from China !). This doesn't work as it's supposed to. We should be able to see the video at least 1 or 2 weeks before day of sales. It was actually done this way at the beginning of the line. Sending these samples late makes the whole process unuseful, since the future buyers cannot have a precise idea of the figures qualities and flaws of the figure and don't have enough time to weigh thoroughly the pros and cons before pre-ordering or ordering the figure...

I'm on the fence about buying Slushead. Yes, he looks cool (like almost any other figure), but the loose ankles and non-swappable, non-articulated head are what makes me reconsider the purchase. We'll see...

Thank you Pixel Dan for the preview. It was great to be able to know about SH just a little bit before the day of sale, thanks to your work and efforts...
    Last edited by Prahvus; May 13, 2012 at 05:32am.

So, I received a factory sample/prototype of this guy today. There are minor revisions that the production piece has as opposed to my prototype. First, mine has stiff ankles. Both the side to side rocking and front to back articulation is stiff. So, this will probably vary in production pieces. Mine stands very well. The head is very different. The inside is actually contoured to fit the neck so even if they wanted to, they couldn't move the head. There are also long flaps that extend from both the front and back that help with alignment that would completely hinder movement. The head itself is basically a thin liner that goes over the contoured neck bump. the dome itself is built into the armor. I, too, was bummed about neck articulation, but quickly got over it after playing with it for a while. I personally will be buying several because I know the first one will be played to death. Right now, he's my absolute favorite MOTUC figure.
    [This space for rent. Inquire within.]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Great review as usual, but haven't the videos been in HD before?

I like Slush Head, and I agree with NA having some great character designs. It's good to see them translate into MOTUC. It's a real shame about the ankles though. And It doesn't really matter if all the other joints are tight if the ankles are loose.

Finally, the blaster looks like it has a peg on the end. Does it fit somewhere else? Can you plug anything onto the blaster?
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

how likely is it that the seal will leak all over the place?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Really cool looking figure, I really cannot wait to own this - I think I'm looking forward to Slushy more then Stinkor!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    The review on Fwoosh said that the ankles were very tight. Dan's may just be a fluke.

Slushy looks great. This is actually one of the most exciting months of the line for me-I'm digging everybody that's coming!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!