Thread: MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hybrid View

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

Alright, here he is!

Any questions, feel free to ask!
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; May 14, 2012 at 03:04pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Still an easy pass....

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Still an easy pass....
    Well, I'm going to second that. Thanks for the review, Dan.

Edit: Damn, dudes... he is über-purple...
    Last edited by Chroniklor; May 13, 2012 at 10:51am.
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

it looks like he has a lump or pimple or something under his left eye and on the left side of his mouth?

also, he has a very unique cross sell which includes a figure that can't be purchased a single release. it's actually a cool touch.

Heroic Warrior
    He is an ok figure. He does have some pretty cool accessories.

Heroic Warrior
    Still an easy pass for me !

And of course, THIS particular figure comes with no apparent articulations issue... why am I not surprised ?

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    What, no picture of him next to Deadpool?

To be honest, if I wasn't a completist and a person interested in time traveling plots, I would pass on this guy in an instant (well, if I didn't have a sub). However, I am, so I have to have this guy. Plus, I came up with a (hopefully) funny little comic with him, Photog, and Draego-Man.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

And of course, THIS particular figure comes with no apparent articulations issue... why am I not surprised ?
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.
    You're not the only one who has noticed this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I'm not sensing the passion or humor in this review.
    I think in this case, Dan was in a no-win situation. If he were to seem too excited, the level of vitriol directed at Scott and his creation by some people would probably have led some to accuse Dan of just being positive because he gets free figures for review. I guarantee that the review was already too positive for some people even if Dan's feelings on the figure are more reserved. Dan approached this the best way he could, just as the Fwoosh did, by looking at the figure first as a toy and then as a Masters Character. He also noted that Spector fits in better with the New Adventures Characters, which I think is fairly hard to deny. Like it or not, Spector is now a part of the MOTU mythos as much as any other character. He looks no more out of place than the Meteorbs, Twistoid, Rotar, Rock People, Rio Blast, and so on. Those characters get a pass simply because they were released when most of us were children.

In any case, I like the figure. Not my favorite character of all time, but still quite worthy of inclusion of a line that really has no limits.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    HAHAHAH this MULTIPLIED BY 100. TG should have used a fake name to release Spector. I bet the scathing masses would be easier on the lil' purple fella if he did.
    The MIGHT SPECTOR created by Richard Bachman.
    Last edited by NastyNate; May 14, 2012 at 03:54pm.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Well, I'm sold!!!!!

...on skipping this guy.

Last edited by Azrael; May 13, 2012 at 10:31pm.

As much as I want to like this character, I cannot. It actually kind of saddens me to see all this negative feedback and to have the feelings I have regarding this character. I seriously want to love everything this line offers... but I cannot love The Mighty Spector... The dingy shade of purple, the generic spade emblem, the shade of yellow the armor is rendered in, the Marvel look... boy so many flaws. I try in my head to sum it up as a cool generic-ism, like you'd find in Galaxy Warriors or some He-Man knock off line, but it doesn't really hold up in that playing field either, due to the Marvel knock off elements. I thought originally after receiving him we'd all start to change our views, but after this review I am starting to have some doubts. Oh well, it's just one character, if we didn't have him maybe other characters wouldn't look as good! Way to be optimistic, right?

This is one of those instances where I think fandom has made way bigger of a deal out of things than it really is. Just my personal opinion, but I still think if he were released as part of the vintage line towards the end or in NA then people wouldn't have batted an eye at his aesthetics. He might be like Nocturna - not everyone's favorite, perhaps, but hardly controversial. So when you strip away all the extraneous backstory and fretting about his inclusion in a 30th line and just look at the figure...

I think he's pretty cool. Probably not in the upper echelons of my favorite characters, but I can see him being a lot of fun too.

I like the metallic paint on his purple suit. I like the idea that the suit protects him during time travel. Because it's so tight (nipples), I think it'd be cool if it were some sort of liquid metal that coats his skin. I think the cosmic key gauntlet looks great. I actually like the contrast to the more standard bracer on the other arm. I REALLY like the green energy blade. He'll definitely be using that in my display. I actually like his harness as armor in comparison to the other figures. It's actually fairly rare you get this sparse a figure in the line, and it's kind of a nice change.

My only negatives are that I don't like the goldish accent on the yellow. I just don't think that works. I actually think I might have liked the harness if it had been gold instead, but oh well. The combo of the red eyes on the purple mask is okay. I do think green there would have been cool. I wish the holster would have been more compact. I think it seems too bulky. And lastly, still not in love with the spade. I think some kind of complex control gizmo would be awesome there. But, I'm not designing it, and I'm so used to the spade now it doesn't bother me.

I still don't see the need for this guy in the line, ah well.

Pretty plain, and I will get one.....because I got the 30th Sub.

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    I might get one if I see it on sale for a Mad Matty Monday or something. I'd like to try my hand at casting a clear resin figure. Otherwise though he's a solid pass for me.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

The mighty suckstor has a lame head and an uncool spade harness. Most likely I'll be replacing those with other heads and accessories to make him fit with the rest of the masters.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well, it seems it turned out better than expectations, but i do agree with dan:
    i'd have preferred the right bracer to be silver, instead of copper.

Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    His bio and cosmic key sold me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    I'm glad motuc offers a wide choice of figures from the barbarian vibes to the superheroes vibe. But I'm glad TMS is out from the 2012 subscription.
    Last edited by Mamblo; May 14, 2012 at 08:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    I think, nobody would mind if MS would have a better design. I have no problem, if Scott would have put out Draego Man instead of the 4HM.

It's about the figure, not the person behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."

I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?

It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, nobody would mind if MS would have a better design. I have no problem, if Scott would have put out Draego Man instead of the 4HM.

It's about the figure, not the person behind it.
    Fits in or not, the figure has no detail, little sculpted in parts of the armor and Cosmic Key aside, the rest of the figure is pretty plain and boring, not to mention fits better upon first glance with X-Men or something Marvel than MOTU....Thst is a big reason, probably the biggest reason second to those who don't like the figure because of Scott being the designer.

Draego Man has no nostalgic connection, yet he has one thing Spector doesn't a coolness factor that makes him so far the best of the 30th figures, nostalgia or not, that is why I bought him. Just like SLL when he comes out, sure Extendar was armored, and to me looked out of place, but at least he didn't look like a Knighted Superman wannabee, and also very plain looking, so at least Spector isn't alone.

And who knows what the 5th figure will look like, and how many will be up in arms about the CAC figure just because it wasn't theirs that won? People have preferences no matter their reasons, even though some may be unwarranted.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 14, 2012 at 09:52am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!