Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 161

Thread: MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior hlinhk128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    KYOTO-HONG KONG-CHICAGO
    Posts
    786
    I was hoping for comparison time with Cesspool!

    Seriously though, congrats to Scott on finally getting him made, after what hes done for the brand these past few years he deserves a figure as much as the Horsemen do.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)



  2. #27
    Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ELDERSburg, MD
    Posts
    1,749
    Happy that the yellow attachments are removable. This figure might be salvagable, I will put the UK Horde Prime head with Hordak armor. There is hope for this sculpt. Just not a TMS fan for design reasons.

  3. #28
    Awesome Warrior Alexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The big 'ol mitten
    Posts
    6,312
    Still looks good! I like the simplicity and the overall look. Spade is cool in general, and I wana add him to a sort of secret band of warriors based on the card deck (Bow will be the heart, of course). Not much else to say that hasn't already been said!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

    Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    701
    I know I should say something negative here in order to really fit in around here...but I can't! I really like The Mighty Spector and I am excited to get him. There area few things I would have changed if I were designing him. I think he would look really cool with a long hooded cloak and I would have designed the vest differently to avoid the super hero vibe and designed the holster to be slimmer, but I respect Scott's design and his choice to keep it as close to his original design as possible, despite the similarities to Deadpool.

    Anyway, I do really like this figure and think he fits in with overall story that has been developed in the bios, which I enjoy too (I know that is also not the cool opinion here too, but I've never been cool and don't really care to be).

  5. #30
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    I'm not sensing the passion or humor in this review.

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    372
    Easy pass for me as well.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I'm not sensing the passion or humor in this review.
    You too? I thought it was just me.

  8. #33
    Master of My Soul MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    8,940
    As always, thanks for the review Dan!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,230
    Question, do the green energy thingies not come out of the gun or time traveling device? I mean, I thought Scott showed those as being removable a while back as they could fit in the empty hole in the leg piece.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  10. #35
    Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    The Dark Hemisphere
    Posts
    4,652
    Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    I was hoping for comparison time with Cesspool!
    I think you mean Deadpool, Cesspool is someone completely different.

    cesspool.jpg

    I'm getting one since I have a sub and am a completist but I probably won't even display him. He really does not appeal to me at all. I actually like Demo-Man better! That said I'm somewhat tempted to get another one as the plain body makes him perfect custom fodder.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

    please check out my fan fics at:

    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

  11. #36
    Heroic HamStar Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    965
    Good review. I'm certainly more sold on him now than I was before. Perhaps not my favourite figure ever, but I think i'll enjoy him for what he is.

  12. #37
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Still an easy pass for me !

    And of course, THIS particular figure comes with no apparent articulations issue... why am I not surprised ?
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.

  13. #38
    Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    1,640
    I like him. A line with the sheer scope of MOTU can afford to tinker and offer 'new' ideas to add to the mix...
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

  14. #39
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,751
    I do have a question:

    Can he hold the cosmic key sword/knife like a real sword in his right hand?

    Thanks for that review, i´m still unsure if i´ll buy him but your review made that decision harder for me, maybe i´m warming up to his look.

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.
    You're not the only one who has noticed this.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I'm not sensing the passion or humor in this review.
    I think in this case, Dan was in a no-win situation. If he were to seem too excited, the level of vitriol directed at Scott and his creation by some people would probably have led some to accuse Dan of just being positive because he gets free figures for review. I guarantee that the review was already too positive for some people even if Dan's feelings on the figure are more reserved. Dan approached this the best way he could, just as the Fwoosh did, by looking at the figure first as a toy and then as a Masters Character. He also noted that Spector fits in better with the New Adventures Characters, which I think is fairly hard to deny. Like it or not, Spector is now a part of the MOTU mythos as much as any other character. He looks no more out of place than the Meteorbs, Twistoid, Rotar, Rock People, Rio Blast, and so on. Those characters get a pass simply because they were released when most of us were children.

    In any case, I like the figure. Not my favorite character of all time, but still quite worthy of inclusion of a line that really has no limits.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior Moominsthenmotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    678
    Overall, a basic figure harking back to the 'Marvel Legends' roots MOTUC was based on plus the very trendy superhero-spandex inspiration is as "now" for the epoch of its creation as Barbarians were for the early eighties or Saurod's blend of Robocop and Predator was for the mid eighties.

    So far the 30th Anniversary celebration hasn't exactly hit the ground running. TG's Spector is basic and may have won much love were it not for the bittersweet dealings he's had with fans as a very online/face-to-face contact. He deserves much praise for the longevity of the line and pushing it during turbulent financial times at Mattel, so don't doubt he's a fan - but, the celebration has been "those and such as those" as we say here in Scotland, sweet and sour and excluding of voices like Emiliano or core fan groups who didn't see eye to eye with TG.
    All of this has detracted from the love TMS may have won as a basic buck figure or some such. There's love in 4H's ornate and dramatic 'Demo-Man' while pragmatism, efficiency and rationing of tooling haunts TMS. This is ultimately the message TG has to take something from, whatever his interpretation may be. He's an intelligent guy so I hope he learns humility.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

    "Worked on me!"

    "Me too!"

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior Replikor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    2,260
    I loved your video review coverage of the figure. I also loved how you touched lightly as on his high and low design points while still staying professional and avoiding any personal feelings.

    Very excellent & professional job PD!!

    BUT.... as I discussed here...

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Spector-Figure

    ... I still plan to purchase the figure, but only so that I can "repair" the figure once I have it in hand.
    As I still feel that his design was rushed or something as his design could have been executed a little better to "round up" all of his design idea, concept high-points, color-scheme, an lastly the theme that all "Vintage" M.O.T.U. figures had.

    For those curious, the points I bring up are explained in much more depth in the first spoiler tab in that thread I linked above.

  18. #43
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,424
    I was checking out this video and noticed Spector's purple spandex costume (in comparison with MAA's green spandex, Mekaneck's blue spandex and Sy-Klone's bright yellow spandex) and had a thought: Maybe Spector is represented in the wrong era. People say he might fit in better with NA, but what would Spector look like in 200X?

    Would the vortex suit be all teched out like Sy-Klone, Mekaneck or Man-At-Arms? Would it look like something out of the Ultimates? Would he fit in better with some of those designs, as opposed to the vintage era's simplistic (and largely barbarian) costumes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.
    Maybe he means some quality control issue such as bobbleheads, backwards shoulders, bad ankles, a broken trunk, two left feet or some other problem.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior Replikor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I was checking out this video and noticed Spector's purple spandex costume (in comparison with MAA's green spandex, Mekaneck's blue spandex and Sy-Klone's bright yellow spandex) and had a thought: Maybe Spector is represented in the wrong era. People say he might fit in better with NA, but what would Spector look like in 200X?

    Would the vortex suit be all teched out like Sy-Klone, Mekaneck or Man-At-Arms? Would it look like something out of the Ultimates? Would he fit in better with some of those designs, as opposed to the vintage era's simplistic (and largely barbarian) costumes?
    hmm... well if he had appeared in the 200X series I would have imagined his suit to have had that more criss/crossed mesh look; like the Batman suit in Arkham City would have had; as thats often associated with high tech costumes...

  20. #45
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    29,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    He also noted that Spector fits in better with the New Adventures Characters, which I think is fairly hard to deny.
    Yeah, this is how he feels to me and I'm down with that. I wish he had had visuals more like an earlier vintage MOTU. But the NA connection works for me. I'm beating my own dead horse here, but I still wish he had a more MOTU gimmicky name.

    Still like the yellow and purple though. Gold and purple is my favorite color scheme.

    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.

    spector_sex.jpg

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior Beastmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    871
    Oooohh Val, you have a dirty mind!!

    True, this was one of the more boring reviews. Not even Dan can spice this guy up.

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yeah, this is how he feels to me and I'm down with that. I wish he had had visuals more like an earlier vintage MOTU. But the NA connection works for me. I'm beating my own dead horse here, but I still wish he had a more MOTU gimmicky name.

    Still like the yellow and purple though. Gold and purple is my favorite color scheme.

    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.

    spector_sex.jpg
    Well, I guess that explains the arm attachment!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  23. #48
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,013
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following really raised my eyebrow.

    spector_sex.jpg
    You know, I was wondering why I felt like I was coming around to liking this figure during that video review...

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior dagodfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    499
    When he was first announced, i was pretty meh about him. But now i'm kinda looking forward to him. Might get 2.

  25. #50
    Evil Warrior Invicta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I think in this case, Dan was in a no-win situation. If he were to seem too excited, the level of vitriol directed at Scott and his creation by some people would probably have led some to accuse Dan of just being positive because he gets free figures for review. I guarantee that the review was already too positive for some people even if Dan's feelings on the figure are more reserved. Dan approached this the best way he could, just as the Fwoosh did, by looking at the figure first as a toy and then as a Masters Character. He also noted that Spector fits in better with the New Adventures Characters, which I think is fairly hard to deny. Like it or not, Spector is now a part of the MOTU mythos as much as any other character. He looks no more out of place than the Meteorbs, Twistoid, Rotar, Rock People, Rio Blast, and so on. Those characters get a pass simply because they were released when most of us were children.
    I think that was really fairly said, especially pointing out at that there are quite many other figures that even in classic line that do not quite fit in.


    And Val /JVS3 on what the symbols read.

    I read the symbols but did not think anything of it, but now that you point it out nice catch. What sort of mind reads it like that however?
    Last edited by Invicta; May 13, 2012 at 05:06pm. Reason: clarification

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •