Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

The only thing I can say about The Mighty Spector is that it will be nice not having to worry about qc issues for once. I could care less what kind of condition this eyesore arrives in.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Well, I'm sold!!!!!

...on skipping this guy.

Unless I can pick him up on Mad Matty for $10, I just can't see myself wasting the cash.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Someone just got done watching The Lion King.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Reminds me of the Disney Lion King sneak in.
    I think the official word is that it was actually "SFX" but it's Disney, so keep the cryogenics heads rolling!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    You don't like Dekker?! What's wrong with Dekker? I really liked him in MYP. The only thing I did not like was that it took over a character Filmation already introduced in the same role.
    You mean Rohad? Couldn't Dekker be another teacher that MAA had?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'd love a Dekker. Preferably the younger version.

So is the Mighty Sextor's armband an accident/coincidence, or done on purpose?

I guess I can accept him as an NA character. I do not think he fits in with vintage at all, and it has nothing to do with my feelings about TG. I also think Sir Lazer Lot looks horribly plain, and I put him right on par with TMSex.

I think it's hilarious that his wristband says sex. That almost makes me want to buy him, so I can look at it and laugh every now and then. I wonder if the same guys who decided to make Stinkor's forearms pop decided to make TMS pop too.

I had forgotten about that Pepsi can too. What a trip back... hidden meaning aside, it's hard to think of a time when that can would have been considered cool looking. But it "more or less" was cool back then. Oh my.....

The review as always is what to expect. Nothing wrong with it. Dan never disappoints! But the issue with the figure is that it's poor in both design and back story. And No, I don't think the figure fits with NA either. I have real issues to why I dislike this figure. But this is not the place to discuss it.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior
    Has anyone else thought that Spector might be a good army builder? As in a whole army of these might be cool, like an army of time ninjas or something. Do you think people would have like him better if they had been introduced that way?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

The review certainly concreted the idea of never buying this figure, I thought he couldn't get more plain or uninteresting, man was I wrong. The vid reviews work for me in determining if I get the figure or pass....I never planned on getting Spector, or Slush, but, had I even slightly considered Spector....which I never did, I definitely don't want him now.

At least Slush Head is well detailed and interesting to look at, thanks to his review, now I at least like him, although I'll be passing still.

And no, my dislike of the figure has to do with the figure, not Scott, the design is plain to say the least, and I don't even know who Geoff Johns is, and I really don't like SLL either, at least Spector has a friend in Dontfitinland to keep him company, to me regardless of who designed it, I don't like it.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 13, 2012 at 08:59pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Has anyone else thought that Spector might be a good army builder? As in a whole army of these might be cool, like an army of time ninjas or something. Do you think people would have like him better if they had been introduced that way?
    Well, in the sense that army builders are kinda generic looking figures with little personality, yeah, TMS would fit perfectly as an army builder. But I'd hate to see a shelf full of that figure.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You mean Rohad? Couldn't Dekker be another teacher that MAA had?
    I guess. Dekker could have trained him to fight and Rohad could have trained him to build/fix technological things.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

HD figures on youtube
    Good GOD that thing is pathetic.

Heroic Warrior
    Actuallly Now that I think about it, Spector DOES fit in with the Son Of He-Mans almost "Image" Superhero-esque designs. If we saw Kay-La or that Version of Man-E-Faces with the half black/half white pattern would he look out of place? I don't love Spector, but I don't hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Still an easy pass for me !

And of course, THIS particular figure comes with no apparent articulations issue... why am I not surprised ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Well, I'm sold!!!!!

...on skipping this guy.

Last edited by Azrael; May 13, 2012 at 10:31pm.

As much as I want to like this character, I cannot. It actually kind of saddens me to see all this negative feedback and to have the feelings I have regarding this character. I seriously want to love everything this line offers... but I cannot love The Mighty Spector... The dingy shade of purple, the generic spade emblem, the shade of yellow the armor is rendered in, the Marvel look... boy so many flaws. I try in my head to sum it up as a cool generic-ism, like you'd find in Galaxy Warriors or some He-Man knock off line, but it doesn't really hold up in that playing field either, due to the Marvel knock off elements. I thought originally after receiving him we'd all start to change our views, but after this review I am starting to have some doubts. Oh well, it's just one character, if we didn't have him maybe other characters wouldn't look as good! Way to be optimistic, right?

This is one of those instances where I think fandom has made way bigger of a deal out of things than it really is. Just my personal opinion, but I still think if he were released as part of the vintage line towards the end or in NA then people wouldn't have batted an eye at his aesthetics. He might be like Nocturna - not everyone's favorite, perhaps, but hardly controversial. So when you strip away all the extraneous backstory and fretting about his inclusion in a 30th line and just look at the figure...

I think he's pretty cool. Probably not in the upper echelons of my favorite characters, but I can see him being a lot of fun too.

I like the metallic paint on his purple suit. I like the idea that the suit protects him during time travel. Because it's so tight (nipples), I think it'd be cool if it were some sort of liquid metal that coats his skin. I think the cosmic key gauntlet looks great. I actually like the contrast to the more standard bracer on the other arm. I REALLY like the green energy blade. He'll definitely be using that in my display. I actually like his harness as armor in comparison to the other figures. It's actually fairly rare you get this sparse a figure in the line, and it's kind of a nice change.

My only negatives are that I don't like the goldish accent on the yellow. I just don't think that works. I actually think I might have liked the harness if it had been gold instead, but oh well. The combo of the red eyes on the purple mask is okay. I do think green there would have been cool. I wish the holster would have been more compact. I think it seems too bulky. And lastly, still not in love with the spade. I think some kind of complex control gizmo would be awesome there. But, I'm not designing it, and I'm so used to the spade now it doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    the Mighty Sextor
    I lol'd.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I REALLY like the green energy blade.
    Me too! I never said this before, but as SOON as I saw his knife (and purple colour) I thought: PSYLOCKE!

She stabs people in the head with her psychic knife. So badass. I wonder if TMS can "stab" people and send them to a specific place/time? That would be pretty badass too. Man, I LOVE Psylocke.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 14, 2012 at 01:59am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I wonder what TMS would look like with Battle Armour Skeletor's armour. Too much purple? Or the right amount?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I'm not that fond of the gold bracer and the neon yellow straps. I kind of wish the design was a brighter purple and the straps and bracer were silver.

I like him, though. I'll be buying two.
    I feel a strong urge to customize his colors to make him more shadowy & dark.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

He's coming as part of my Subscription.

I'll likely use the buck for a UK comics version of Horde Prime.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I'm kinda still in shock to see Dan so chilled out.

So his biggest weakness is running out of ammo while on a mission. If he has no pellets he can’t use his weapons or open a time tunnel.
    In my canon Spector time travelled back to the drawing board and ran out of pellets, so he has stayed there ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    You're thinking of the Foot clan from TMNT

If you paint his head completely white, it may actually work as a better for the faceless one as it lacks features.

...That's the most positive thing that I can really say about this figure.

Great review Dan! Now I'm sold......only Stinkor this month for me!

This review reinforces my dislike for the design of the Mighty Spector. I am so glad I didn't purchase a 30th sub.