Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 161

Thread: MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

  1. #101
    Heroic Warrior Slave2Evil_Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Me too! I never said this before, but as SOON as I saw his knife (and purple colour) I thought: PSYLOCKE!

    http://www.nd.edu/~ljordan/psy.text/.../psystrike.jpg

    http://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uplo...r-action-3.jpg

    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...o_00_super.jpg

    She stabs people in the head with her psychic knife. So badass. I wonder if TMS can "stab" people and send them to a specific place/time? That would be pretty badass too. Man, I LOVE Psylocke.
    That is so funny I thought the same thing when I was watching Pixel Dan's review.

    As soon as PD clipped on the blade I was like it's a male Psylocke.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

  2. #102
    Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yeah, this is how he feels to me and I'm down with that. I wish he had had visuals more like an earlier vintage MOTU. But the NA connection works for me. I'm beating my own dead horse here, but I still wish he had a more MOTU gimmicky name.

    Still like the yellow and purple though. Gold and purple is my favorite color scheme.

    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.

    Attachment 75985
    Lol, great catch!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

  3. #103
    Heroic Warrior danvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.
    Attachment 75985
    haha! i guess the "knife" attachment is not for fighting.

  4. #104
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This is one of those instances where I think fandom has made way bigger of a deal out of things than it really is. Just my personal opinion, but I still think if he were released as part of the vintage line towards the end or in NA then people wouldn't have batted an eye at his aesthetics. He might be like Nocturna - not everyone's favorite, perhaps, but hardly controversial. So when you strip away all the extraneous backstory and fretting about his inclusion in a 30th line and just look at the figure...

    I think he's pretty cool. Probably not in the upper echelons of my favorite characters, but I can see him being a lot of fun too.

    I like the metallic paint on his purple suit. I like the idea that the suit protects him during time travel. Because it's so tight (nipples), I think it'd be cool if it were some sort of liquid metal that coats his skin. I think the cosmic key gauntlet looks great. I actually like the contrast to the more standard bracer on the other arm. I REALLY like the green energy blade. He'll definitely be using that in my display. I actually like his harness as armor in comparison to the other figures. It's actually fairly rare you get this sparse a figure in the line, and it's kind of a nice change.

    My only negatives are that I don't like the goldish accent on the yellow. I just don't think that works. I actually think I might have liked the harness if it had been gold instead, but oh well. The combo of the red eyes on the purple mask is okay. I do think green there would have been cool. I wish the holster would have been more compact. I think it seems too bulky. And lastly, still not in love with the spade. I think some kind of complex control gizmo would be awesome there. But, I'm not designing it, and I'm so used to the spade now it doesn't bother me.
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."

    I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?

    It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

    I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  5. #105
    Heroic Warrior Akai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    576
    Nice review as always but I am still passing up on this one.

  6. #106
    son of Xemnoss Xetheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lots of different places
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."

    I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?

    It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

    I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    That was very well said. I think that Scott deserves his figure. If TMS is his childhood dream that is totally cool. For me, TMS is part of MOTU now and I really dig him. The only sad thing about it is that he misses his whip. But if that comes evenetually I am even happier. Of course, I'd like to have Rattlor, Tung Lashor and Two-Bad rather sooner than later, but I am okay with the attempt to give MOTUC a long life as a toyline. TMS is a cool addition to the line on it's way to more popular characters. GO TMS!!!

  7. #107
    Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    177
    His bio and cosmic key sold me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

  8. #108
    Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    463
    I'm glad motuc offers a wide choice of figures from the barbarian vibes to the superheroes vibe. But I'm glad TMS is out from the 2012 subscription.
    Last edited by Mamblo; May 14, 2012 at 09:19am.

  9. #109
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,338
    I think, nobody would mind if MS would have a better design. I have no problem, if Scott would have put out Draego Man instead of the 4HM.

    It's about the figure, not the person behind it.

  10. #110
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, nobody would mind if MS would have a better design. I have no problem, if Scott would have put out Draego Man instead of the 4HM.

    It's about the figure, not the person behind it.
    there are SOME people who will hate anything attached to scott, but I do believe it's SO unfair when people asy "you just like it because the horsemen did it" no, the horsemen are artists and 99% of the time they nail it because of that and they understand visual language. I think for MOST of us it's the figure and not the person behind it overall.

    Look at the vitirol over Clawful or buzz off, those were done by the horsemen, but a lot of fans hated how vintage they loooked. nothing to do with scott and in the eyes of those fans a misstep by the horsemen.


    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."
    which illustrates more that people appreciate the design but THEY are collecting out of nostalgia. they don't say the same for Spector, they say he isn't MOTU enough, the design is bland, it looks too modern etc. so those opinions IMO are the MOST objective as they only collect based on nostalgia yet they judge Draego and Spector from the same place, not as scott fans or detractors not as horsemen fans or detractors.


    I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?
    yep, I can SAFELY say that those characters DO match the MOTU Aesthetic. Snout Spout, Dragstor, Rokkon, Stonedar, ninjor, Twistoid, Rotar all fit in with MOTU. the MOTU aesthetic is essentially high fantasy characters, barbarians, wizards and misfits. misfits including hybrid type characters/creatures. if you have the power and honour foundation book you'll read why some characters were rejected for the vintage line, and the reason was "they did not fit in with the visual language of MOTU" same goes for spector. Whether you like him or not is a moot point, the fact is he's more generic than ANY motu figure before him, and that's where it fails for MOTU. a man with an elephant head a cybernetic man/dragster, parapalegic warriors that spin to battle, men that are half meteor, demonic ninja, these are all MOTU. a guy in a unitard that can time travel, where is the unique factor? TG said anyone can don the suit and use the bracelet. so even the character himself isn't unique except that he was loyal to the royal family, but so were a handful of others. again THERE is the fail. he doesn't standout even as a character, it's all the suit. How about a guy wearing cargo shorts sandals and a slayer t-shirt, would that fit into MOTU? NO because it doesn't match the aesthetic.

    It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

    I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    Again I won't argue SOME people hate it just because it's scott, but I think overall the bulk of us that don't like the figure are just unimpressed with the design and gimmick. i mean even Pixel Dan who is a very positive guy and even friendly with scott doesn't seem too happy about the figure.

    I'm not saying what scott does and doesn't deserve, I like a lot of the expansion he's helped usher in with this line, he's done some great work and made some bad missteps too, I just wish he and Johns put in some more artistic effort with their offerings, maybe they wouldn't be IMO as cool as Draego, but I think they could have been more inspired instead of just push out what they did as kids.
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 14, 2012 at 10:18am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  11. #111
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."

    I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?

    It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

    I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, nobody would mind if MS would have a better design. I have no problem, if Scott would have put out Draego Man instead of the 4HM.

    It's about the figure, not the person behind it.
    Fits in or not, the figure has no detail, little sculpted in parts of the armor and Cosmic Key aside, the rest of the figure is pretty plain and boring, not to mention fits better upon first glance with X-Men or something Marvel than MOTU....Thst is a big reason, probably the biggest reason second to those who don't like the figure because of Scott being the designer.

    Draego Man has no nostalgic connection, yet he has one thing Spector doesn't a coolness factor that makes him so far the best of the 30th figures, nostalgia or not, that is why I bought him. Just like SLL when he comes out, sure Extendar was armored, and to me looked out of place, but at least he didn't look like a Knighted Superman wannabee, and also very plain looking, so at least Spector isn't alone.

    And who knows what the 5th figure will look like, and how many will be up in arms about the CAC figure just because it wasn't theirs that won? People have preferences no matter their reasons, even though some may be unwarranted.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 14, 2012 at 10:52am.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  12. #112
    Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    4,916
    For everyone asking why I didn't do "Comparison Time" with Deadpool, its because I already did that April Fools video. I didn't want to do the same joke twice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I do have a question:

    Can he hold the cosmic key sword/knife like a real sword in his right hand?
    You can, but you really have to squeeze it in there. Both his hand and the key are a stiffer plastic, and it takes a bit of work to get it in his hand. Plus, you have that big peg on the bottom of the key piece, so that will always be sticking out.

    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.

    Attachment 75985
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; May 14, 2012 at 10:44am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

  13. #113
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    4,029
    I've made up my mind with this figure. In my eyes, it doesn't fit anywhere in the MOTUverses, not even NA. It looks marvel ever since day one and it stays that way. No vintage, barbarian, magical vibes to it. No like unfortunately :\

  14. #114
    In disguise! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelby, NC
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    One thing, though. While watching the video, the following caught my attention.

    Attachment 75985
    All I'm saying is that I'm definitely going to be washing the "energy blade" before using it...
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

    "We have a Ram-Man"

  15. #115
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yep, I can SAFELY say that those characters DO match the MOTU Aesthetic. Snout Spout, Dragstor, Rokkon, Stonedar, ninjor, Twistoid, Rotar all fit in with MOTU. the MOTU aesthetic is essentially high fantasy characters, barbarians, wizards and misfits. misfits including hybrid type characters/creatures. if you have the power and honour foundation book you'll read why some characters were rejected for the vintage line, and the reason was "they did not fit in with the visual language of MOTU" same goes for spector. Whether you like him or not is a moot point, the fact is he's more generic than ANY motu figure before him, and that's where it fails for MOTU. a man with an elephant head a cybernetic man/dragster, parapalegic warriors that spin to battle, men that are half meteor, demonic ninja, these are all MOTU. a guy in a unitard that can time travel, where is the unique factor? TG said anyone can don the suit and use the bracelet. so even the character himself isn't unique except that he was loyal to the royal family, but so were a handful of others. again THERE is the fail. he doesn't standout even as a character, it's all the suit. How about a guy wearing cargo shorts sandals and a slayer t-shirt, would that fit into MOTU? NO because it doesn't match the aesthetic.
    You make some good points here, but at the end of the day, I just cannot agree. Uniqueness is required? We know that there were many Man-At-Arms. Anyone, conceivably, could have been made a cosmic enforcer. Horde Troopers all look alike. Many of the warriors on both sides come from races that look just like them. I could go on. Misfits as qualifying Rotar and Twistoid? They do not match the existing design of ANY other figures in the line. Twistoid in particular has garish colors that look out of place even in a line full of bright colors, but he gets a pass and not Spector? The latter waves of the original line look just like people were throwing things in and trying to see what would stick. Stonedar and Rokkon are clear attempts to capitalize on the Transformers' popularity. Ninjor is a nod to the popularity of martial arts and Ninjas at the time. Rio Blast is another Transformable character. Rotar and Twistoid show you what awful things happen when action features are the main driving force of a product idea. Time travel and science fiction is another popular trope. Spector could have been thrown in at the line's end to capitalize on such popular ideas, especially since the popular Star Trek the Next Generation started in '87. If that would have been done, people would love Spector.

    One might argue that Spector is not their favorite design, but it is hard to say he does not fit in with the line at all. He's as techno-oriented as many other characters.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  16. #116
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,438
    Great review as always Dan but I'm afraid I still just don't like this as a MOTU figure not even a NA one.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  17. #117
    Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Misfits as qualifying Rotar and Twistoid? They do not match the existing design of ANY other figures in the line. Twistoid in particular has garish colors that look out of place even in a line full of bright colors, but he gets a pass and not Spector? The latter waves of the original line look just like people were throwing things in and trying to see what would stick. Stonedar and Rokkon are clear attempts to capitalize on the Transformers' popularity. Ninjor is a nod to the popularity of martial arts and Ninjas at the time. Rio Blast is another Transformable character..... If that would have been done, people would love Spector.
    Those other terrible designs are not "given a pass" as much as they are begrudgingly accepted.

    There were MANY things made in the 80s that are laughable now.

    Anyone designing and producing toys today should know better and produce a higher quality product.


    THAT is why stuff from the vintage line isn't complained about...it's been here for 25 years. That's Old Crap that can't be avoided or forgotten. New Crap, in this age of great designs and quality production is not forgivable.


    And it has NOTHING to do with Scott creating TMS... Sir Lazer Lot is New Crap, designed by Geoff Johns. Crap is crap...no matter who designs it.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

  18. #118
    Heroic Warrior darkmoon766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,244
    I always liked the energy whip more than the blade. It actually is a cool design. Except for the colors. In fact, it has a precedent.
    Backlash- Image Comics

    Spector, The Mighty, MOTU Comics


    I always liked that comic book.

  19. #119
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    You make some good points here, but at the end of the day, I just cannot agree. Uniqueness is required? We know that there were many Man-At-Arms. Anyone, conceivably, could have been made a cosmic enforcer. Horde Troopers all look alike. Many of the warriors on both sides come from races that look just like them. I could go on. Misfits as qualifying Rotar and Twistoid? They do not match the existing design of ANY other figures in the line. Twistoid in particular has garish colors that look out of place even in a line full of bright colors, but he gets a pass and not Spector? The latter waves of the original line look just like people were throwing things in and trying to see what would stick. Stonedar and Rokkon are clear attempts to capitalize on the Transformers' popularity. Ninjor is a nod to the popularity of martial arts and Ninjas at the time. Rio Blast is another Transformable character. Rotar and Twistoid show you what awful things happen when action features are the main driving force of a product idea. Time travel and science fiction is another popular trope. Spector could have been thrown in at the line's end to capitalize on such popular ideas, especially since the popular Star Trek the Next Generation started in '87. If that would have been done, people would love Spector.

    One might argue that Spector is not their favorite design, but it is hard to say he does not fit in with the line at all. He's as techno-oriented as many other characters.
    We've only seen ONE MAA, and in terms of uniqueness, he's wearing tech armour but also has barbarian clothes, it's a unique mix, when I say unique I don't mean there can't be others before them it's the design language that's unique. Ninjr wasn't a simple ninja,sure it was an easy do buthe had the monster hands and feet, plus furry shorts, unique (unlike other toy lines) The rock men, same thing I don't care if they were done to capitalize on transformers or not, they looked different than other toys out there, same with Roton and twistoid. The horde troopers have a unique design, but they are an army, uniformity is key(again unique being to the brand not amongst the characters)and they fit in because the look like old suits of armour but with an alien and fantasy twist. Rio Blast isn't a transformer, he's another MOTU character, meaning he isn't stuck to a single genre, he's a old west type character but spacey, then he blasts out with lasers on every major body part.

    it's that zaniness that they make WORK that is IMO MOTU. Spector is just again a guy in a unitard that looks like guys from other brands, nothing out there about him nothing barbarian or fantasy about him. (when I mentioned uniqueness and ANYONE can wear the unitard, I meant even his bio doesn't make him standout where as thus far everyone else's back story separates them from their kin.

    at the end of the day your opinion suits your argument (naturally) and you'll never see where I'm coming from regarding those characters vs spectorr. I respect how you feel about it (but I have to defend what I feel is the MOTU visual style) and your opinion, I also respect that scott got his figure in there, I just really can't like it because it's so (to me) generic and dull. NOTHING outside of his musculature, says Masters of the Universe to me. for my money SLL is a BIT better but not much. i think out of everything it's the colour scheme, too much blue without anything exciting that breaks him up.
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 14, 2012 at 12:46pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  20. #120
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Exactly. One of the main reasons Spector suffers is that there is no nostalgic connection. As proof look at Draego Man. No one can deny, I think, that it is the most spectacular 30th anniversary figure. He may be the very best figure in the entire line so far. Yet, while many have liked him, others have said, "He's cool and all, but I'm not getting him because I have no nostalgic connection."

    I just wish that everyone who doesn't like Spector would acknowledge that there are a ton of classic figures that don't match the MOTU "aesthetic," whatever that is. Some have said Spector doesn't match the figures in terms of color choices. Well, what about Twistoid, Rokkon, and Stonedar? Some have said he is too superheroish? Well, how is a superheroish figure not any worse than Snout Spout, Dragstor, and several other figures from the tail end of the old toy line?

    It's just hard for me to believe that the feelings about this character are not tied so closely to it not being a vintage design and that Scott made it. Draego-Man gets a pass because everyone loves the Horsemen. Many people have been upset with Scott because of the some of the things he has said, rightly or wrongly interpreted, and the fact that he can't snap his fingers and eliminate DR (which has a corporate contract with Mattel) or make sure that every figure in China is made and painted perfectly. That translates into disgust with his figure. But without Scott, there is no line that we love. I'm not saying he is the only one responsible, but there is no denying he is one of the driving forces behind the line, if not the primary driving force. He is why we get the figures we love. He is why we will probably get Illumina (does anyone doubt that she is going to lose the fan poll?). He is the writer of the bios, which, like them or not, have introduced some concepts that allow for cool figures later on. He is the one who is finally making some kind of cohesive attempt to make all the continuities make sense, even if you don't like what he has done in some cases. Maybe this shouldn't have been done, as some have said on RGD, but it is certainly an admirable attempt and paves the way for more characters and figures.

    I just think that if people would have a better understanding of the position Scott is in, what he can and can't easily accomplish, and his role in bringing us this line every month, which will surpass the total number of figures of all the past series combined, I think, Spector may get a better hearing.
    I think you make some good points, and I'm sure some people hate TMS because of their issues with TG, but there are reasons above and beyond people's feelings towards TG for not liking this figure. Yes, there are some vintage figures that don't look like they fit in with the line that fans like, and there are some new figures that have no nostalgic connection that people like, like Draego Man. I would argue that a figure can withstand having one of the these 2 flaws (no nostalgic connection, not fitting in aesthetically), but not both. TMS has both of these flaws. Twistoid only has one. Draego Man only has one - because he does fit in, his head even looks like a Filmation dragon head.

    TMS just popped up out of no where, not looking like anything MOTU related, having no ties to the history of MOTU, just here because the brand manager says so. I reject that, and I reject TMS. I also reject Sir Lazer Lot for the same reasons, and I have nothing bad to say about Geoff Johns either, so it's not simply about having issues with TG.

    Also, for the record, I don't really care for a lot of the figures at the end of the vintage line either. I didn't buy Snout Spout, and may not by Stonedar and Rokkon, or Rio Blast if they come out. I stopped collecting MOTU when those figures came out, and so they don't hold nostalgic connections for me either. Plus I don't think those figures look cool either, so there is no reason for me to buy them other than having a complete collection - which I can't afford to do anymore since these figures come out so frequently, and since Mattel wont' reissue Randor, He-Ro, and a few other early figures I need, much less Shadow Weaver.

    Lastly, for me, accepting Draego Man is not about the 4H either. I love them, absolutely, but I actually am not in favor of adopting their new designs for incorporating them directly into the brand as action figures. I don't think those character sketches fit with the brand, they have no nostalgia, and I'm just not about putting real personalities into MOTU. MOTU is a fantasty property, and I'd like to keep it that way. It dilutes the brand when people stamp their own personalities on it, like with TMS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Those other terrible designs are not "given a pass" as much as they are begrudgingly accepted.

    There were MANY things made in the 80s that are laughable now.

    Anyone designing and producing toys today should know better and produce a higher quality product.


    THAT is why stuff from the vintage line isn't complained about...it's been here for 25 years. That's Old Crap that can't be avoided or forgotten. New Crap, in this age of great designs and quality production is not forgivable.


    And it has NOTHING to do with Scott creating TMS... Sir Lazer Lot is New Crap, designed by Geoff Johns. Crap is crap...no matter who designs it.
    Well said.
    Last edited by jibernish; May 14, 2012 at 12:54pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  21. #121
    CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    belfast northern ireland
    Posts
    5,514
    great review dan. still one of the worst designed and poorly executed looking figures i've ever seen

    and bravo for keeping your opinions of the actual character and history outta the review, many people on here myself included could simple not have done so

    it'll be interesting to see how this sells, i wil admit to hating the figures but i do think it will sell well mainly for the buck being used for customs, which is a shame because all that does is give toyguru ammo for his crusade
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

  22. #122
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,709
    I think it was wise of Dan to simply talk about the figure on it's own merits rather than wade into the controversy; we got a good, fairly objective look at the figure. I will say, with what I've seen so far, I'd take Spector over Sir Technicolor-Lot, though I'm not all that thrilled with either. I don't think the problem is that Spector looks too much like a super-hero in general. Negator was basically a super-villain who could have just as easily faced off against Green Lantern as He-Man, but I'd have no problem seeing him in the line or feel he doesn't fit in. In Spector's case, I feel it's the fact that he looks so much like a PARTICULAR super-hero, namely Deadpool (and the dozens of knock-offs we saw in Image and other comics in the 90's). And the harness is so reminiscent of some of the Jim Lee X-Men costumes that it's hard not to feel the vibe. I don't think the problem is so much that he doesn't fit with MOTUC, it's that he fits far too well with Marvel's mutants...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  23. #123
    Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,693
    Fair review. Still... we are to vote with our wallets yes? These fan creations are just that, fan creations. Would I prefer someone I really want? Yes. Would I buy it if it was in Masters style? Yep, I bought DraegoMan. This looks out of place and I wouldnt display it, so I wont buy it. I like the story Scott gave him, but im good, im voting no with my wallet.

    This is coming from someone that will vote YES YES YES for Gwildor.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

  24. #124
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    does anyone know EXACTLY which scooby doo intro TG was inspired by for the eyes? I can't picture it and the intro I watched I didn't see anything similar.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  25. #125
    Heroic Warrior Rodster6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,802
    He actually looks really nice in this review, I'm actually happy to have him coming now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •