Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mighty Spector Video Review by Pixel Dan

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    does anyone know EXACTLY which scooby doo intro TG was inspired by for the eyes? I can't picture it and the intro I watched I didn't see anything similar.
    I found this on YouTube. Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Season 2 ( at the unintentional rhyming) intro. :24 seconds in. I think it looks similar, but Toyguru's the only one who knows for sure. I was wrong about the National Geographic I thought Nathan Bitner got his Photog pic from. No one has found that yet.

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I found this on YouTube. Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Season 2 ( at the unintentional rhyming) intro. :24 seconds in. I think it looks similar, but Toyguru's the only one who knows for sure. I was wrong about the National Geographic I thought Nathan Bitner got his Photog pic from. No one has found that yet.
    Hmm, I wondered on that but it doesn't REALLY look the way spector's eyes do so i dismissed that one.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Apart from the brand new Slushhead, I'm hard pressed to think of any figure with 'articulations issues'. So, hardly a conspiracy by Scott to make sure his figure has the best articulation in the line.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes it apparent that many people who bash on Spector only do so b/c it's Scott's creation.
    HAHAHAH this MULTIPLIED BY 100. TG should have used a fake name to release Spector. I bet the scathing masses would be easier on the lil' purple fella if he did.
    The MIGHT SPECTOR created by Richard Bachman.
    Last edited by NastyNate; May 14, 2012 at 03:54pm.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    HAHAHAH this MULTIPLIED BY 100. TG should have used a fake name to release Spector. I bet the scathing masses would be easier on the lil' purple fella if he did.
    not really you can not polish a turd. even if you roll it in glitter
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Raising any type of complaint, legitimate or illegitimate, always spurs a select chorus of fans to attempt to marginalize it. Fan dislike for Scott is the oft used attempt to deflect criticism of the Mighty Spector. The identity of the creator has absolutely no bearing on the merits of the design. The criticism of Vykron and Draego-Man are excellent examples. The Mighty Spector is simply a polarizing design that many fans abhor.

It's a great review but it probably just reinforces the existing like or dislike fans have already formed for this figure.

Oh, I think I see what happened. Inspecting Terry Higuchi's drawing of The Mighty Spector, there are FOUR squares with letters in them and it appears it says "S E X Y" (Spector's sexy...get it? Maybe a little joke to his boss). Anyway, the final figure has one LESS box (three), so it just says "S E X." Sexy is funnier. Sex just makes it dirty, like the Bow "heart-on" thing...

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

You know, all of the other creators created a NEW character for the 30th Anniversary line. Scott included something that he created for something else entirely many years ago. That's probably why he feels (and subsequently looks) so shoehorned into MOTUC.

The fact is that the MOTU universe DOES have a design aesthetic and even Sir Lazer-Lot falls into it. Spector looks like one of the obscure Marvel Legends figures I look at in the toy aisle and say "Who?!" in passing. He'd be totally forgettable if it weren't for the intense venomous backlash it ignited.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh, I think I see what happened. Inspecting Terry Higuchi's drawing of The Mighty Spector, there are FOUR squares with letters in them and it appears it says "S E X Y" (Spector's sexy...get it? Maybe a little joke to his boss). Anyway, the final figure has one LESS box (three), so it just says "S E X." Sexy is funnier. Sex just makes it dirty, like the Bow "heart-on" thing...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg16/...pg&res=landing

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...chmentid=75985
    i think it spells FEZ backwards. cause he's a time traveler. and fez's are cool.

No they're not. Neither are bowties. If they were cool, the 10th Doctor would have worn them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    No they're not. Neither are bowties. If they were cool, the 10th Doctor would have worn them.
    That's what the Mighty Spector is missing, a bow tie. Every time traveling, secret agent man should have one. “The name’s Spector… John Spector."
    Last edited by Hosed Ovor; May 14, 2012 at 05:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Raising any type of complaint, legitimate or illegitimate, always spurs a select chorus of fans to attempt to marginalize it. Fan dislike for Scott is the oft used attempt to deflect criticism of the Mighty Spector. The identity of the creator has absolutely no bearing on the merits of the design. The criticism of Vykron and Draego-Man are excellent examples. The Mighty Spector is simply a polarizing design that many fans abhor.
    When you look at the posts of a certain segment of fans in the official thread, and see how much they post about a figure they don't like, the things they say, and the things they say in other threads that are quite personal towards Scott, it's pretty evident why a number of people don't like Spector. Not all of them, but many of them.
    That's not to say he's the greatest figure ever--far from it. I liked the fan mockups of different colours (ie: Royal Guard scheme) much better than real figure. But I still don't see so much wrong with it to warrant the type of hatred thrown at TG all the time. There are worse figures/characters/designs imo, including later characters from the vintage line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Really?

Do you think Vykrn or Draego man are going to have 100+ pages to a hate thread? Or get brought up in a dozen threads a day?

The level of dislike for Spector, and the need to constanly call Scott out on it FAR outweighs the likes of any other 'generic criticism'.

For a while there, it seemed like Lazerlot would be a contender for 'uninspired' character hate... but I haven't heard anyone complain about him or Geoff in some time now...

Scott and Spector NEVER leave the spotlight.

Lets not get into a Toyguru debate in this thread.

I just got an email reminder from Mattel about tomorrow's sale and it says about Spector: "King He-man's time-traversing secret agent is never late for a date with destiny!"

First I thought, yeah right, he is late to his own sale date, so this ad copy is a lie. But on second thought, Spector isn't late -he just has other priorities. He's off on a 'romantic' escapade with Destiny right now, punching her name into his sex-wristband computer, and that's why he will be late to his own sale date.
    Last edited by jibernish; May 14, 2012 at 06:31pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Scott and Spector NEVER leave the spotlight.

He doesn't like...living under your spotlight...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It's a shame that this thread is bigger than the Slushhead review because of the negativity, and that figure is well liked.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    You are incorrect, sir.

See: Sir Lazer Lot response.

Bad is bad, no matter who squeezed it out.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I fully agree.

The video review just re-emphasizes how bad TMS is as a MOTU figure.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Honestly, I don't think this figure is all that bad. Is it my favorite? FAR from it. Is it in the bottom 10 percent of the figures created so far? For me, probably. But I really love the other 90 percent. I still like this figure more than The Goddess (but at least she has MOTU lore behind her).

I guess, I don't do other toy lines or really get into Marvel or DC or other super hero universes so I have no knowledge base on which to draw a comparison.

Does he look out of place in MOTU? Without a doubt. But to me no more than Rio Blast or Ninjor and I have come to embrace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    When you look at the posts of a certain segment of fans in the official thread, and see how much they post about a figure they don't like, the things they say, and the things they say in other threads that are quite personal towards Scott, it's pretty evident why a number of people don't like Spector. Not all of them, but many of them.
    That's not to say he's the greatest figure ever--far from it. I liked the fan mockups of different colours (ie: Royal Guard scheme) much better than real figure. But I still don't see so much wrong with it to warrant the type of hatred thrown at TG all the time. There are worse figures/characters/designs imo, including later characters from the vintage line.
    For my money even the WORST classic MOTU figure is better than spector because it's in some way unique. a casual observer will NEVER look at spector and say 'is he from he-man" and that's the failing.

One thing though, you HAVE to accept there are people on the board that will hate scott for anything he takes credit for, deserving or not. just like some who will defend him for anything, deserving or not.the figure is uninspired in his design (because he looks like so many other characters outside of MOTU) whether you like the look or not is irrelevant to the fact that it looks like several other properties characters.

The biggest reason he gets so much attention is the polarizing effect, those who feel the need to bash scott have to do it, and those who feel the need to protect him chime in (sometimes bashing the original line to do so, which gets people like ME involved because I'm protective of the figures that I love and I tend to get annoyed when people dismiss it without seeing what's really there, esp fans.) so you have at least 3 factions weighing in because SOMEONE on SOME SIDE says something that the other two have to argue, then it becomes less about the figure and more about what the figure represents, be it pro/anti scott, pro/anti vintage characters (usu later in the line guys) and the argument of MOTU design philosophy (any artist will see there IS a uniform formula for MOTU, but not everyone sees a pattern in the ecclectic nature of the brand)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    For my money even the WORST classic MOTU figure is better than spector because it's in some way unique. a casual observer will NEVER look at spector and say 'is he from he-man" and that's the failing.

One thing though, you HAVE to accept there are people on the board that will hate scott for anything he takes credit for, deserving or not. just like some who will defend him for anything, deserving or not.the figure is uninspired in his design (because he looks like so many other characters outside of MOTU) whether you like the look or not is irrelevant to the fact that it looks like several other properties characters.

The biggest reason he gets so much attention is the polarizing effect, those who feel the need to bash scott have to do it, and those who feel the need to protect him chime in (sometimes bashing the original line to do so, which gets people like ME involved because I'm protective of the figures that I love and I tend to get annoyed when people dismiss it without seeing what's really there, esp fans.) so you have at least 3 factions weighing in because SOMEONE on SOME SIDE says something that the other two have to argue, then it becomes less about the figure and more about what the figure represents, be it pro/anti scott, pro/anti vintage characters (usu later in the line guys) and the argument of MOTU design philosophy (any artist will see there IS a uniform formula for MOTU, but not everyone sees a pattern in the ecclectic nature of the brand)
    Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of New Adventures? Are those legitimate Masters Figures?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    This is the truest and most eloquent response I have seen. Cheers to you!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

thanks for the review dan ...

without getting into the already exhausted debate regarding this figure; i will just add these thoughts ...

despite the controversial origins of this figure and it's original design concepts - this is just not really a good figure ... he looks very basic and just has no 'wow' factor for me ...

this figure just isn't MOTU to me ... he doesn't look right and doesn't fit the aesthetic for me personally ... the superhero/comic appearance just doesn't for the MOTU 'look' for me ...

i didn't buy this one ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

I thought long and hard about Spector, but I decided I could wait on this one. I mean, I started collecting MOTUC last November and even though I got like 20+ figures already, there are others I'd like to get before him, like Scareglow or Vikor, so I decided to pass on Spector.

I might get him someday, but to give you an example I preferred to get Slush Head rather than Spector. Even though I don't have an emotional connection with neither one of them, being I was never a fan of NA He-Man, design wise Slushy seems much more exciting to me and better fitting with my other MOTUC figures.
    "From here to Eterni...a"

I really want to see that whip come out in the next weapons pack...I like the whip weapon...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572