Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was NA successful in its intial run??

Court Magician
    I loved it when I was young, it was on at christmas on ITV, I had an annual and remember "Sword and Staff" quite clearly in my mind's eye, easily my favourite episode of the whole run.

To answer the original question, I would have to say that it was not successful. I was one of the many disappointed kids because of the change of tone for He-Man's adventures and, although I did try, just couldn't get into the show like the classic Filmation cartoon. I also think the child in me wasn't ready to accept that He-Man was torn away from his family and friends and got stranded on this future planet and left everyone behind. It had a sense of finality to it, because as a child, I was devastated because I thought he was never going to see his home again.

However, while I haven't watched the entire run of NA yet, I do own the DVDs and watched the first few discs a few years back just to see if it was something I could appreciate as an older person. I remember liking the writing and the storyline, but being bothered by the voice acting (scientists) and some of the different looks to the existing characters. I really think I could have bought into the show (when I was a kid) had they not changed the appearance of He-Man and Skeletor, as well as the other characters that appeared from the main continuity. It just didn't seem necessary to me as a child (nor now as an adult) to change them.

During my re-watch, I liked what I saw of the series and can't really say why I didn't finish it. I think I just got busy with other things. Right now, I'm again in the process of re-watching all of the He-Man shows. I've finished Filmation and MYP and am in the process of working through She-Ra, so I'm saving NA for last. It'll be interesting for me to finally get through the entire DVD library.

This time, however, I'm prepared for what I'm going to watch so maybe it won't be a shock to the system this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor's Lackey View Post
    To answer the original question, I would have to say that it was not successful. I was one of the many disappointed kids because of the change of tone for He-Man's adventures and, although I did try, just couldn't get into the show like the classic Filmation cartoon. I also think the child in me wasn't ready to accept that He-Man was torn away from his family and friends and got stranded on this future planet and left everyone behind. It had a sense of finality to it, because as a child, I was devastated because I thought he was never going to see his home again.

However, while I haven't watched the entire run of NA yet, I do own the DVDs and watched the first few discs a few years back just to see if it was something I could appreciate as an older person. I remember liking the writing and the storyline, but being bothered by the voice acting (scientists) and some of the different looks to the existing characters. I really think I could have bought into the show (when I was a kid) had they not changed the appearance of He-Man and Skeletor, as well as the other characters that appeared from the main continuity. It just didn't seem necessary to me as a child (nor now as an adult) to change them.

During my re-watch, I liked what I saw of the series and can't really say why I didn't finish it. I think I just got busy with other things. Right now, I'm again in the process of re-watching all of the He-Man shows. I've finished Filmation and MYP and am in the process of working through She-Ra, so I'm saving NA for last. It'll be interesting for me to finally get through the entire DVD library.

This time, however, I'm prepared for what I'm going to watch so maybe it won't be a shock to the system this time.
    I'm of the same opinion, except I don't have the DVD's. I might have made more of an effort to buy the box set from last year if the entire "New Adventures" was on there instead of a best-of. I would still buy a Mills Creek set if they released one.

Yeah, I just checked Amazon to see what the two volumes were going for and I was shocked at how high a used Vol. 2 is selling for...though Vol. 1 is still reasonable.

I bought mine shortly after release time because Best Buy had each set on sale for $10 apiece, so I ended up paying a little over a hundred for all of the shows together. Glad I did now...