Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsarama interviews Philip Tan about the DC He-man Comic

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

Newsarama interviews Philip Tan about the DC He-man Comic

Check it out here:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/phil...verse-art.html

Has some of the designs too!

(Interview with writer James Robinson, in case you missed it - http://www.newsarama.com/comics/he-m...interview.html)
    Last edited by super-munkyboy; May 15, 2012 at 10:26am.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Newsarama: Phil, it's tough to imagine you doing He-Man, because it was so well known as a cartoon. Your art is not cartoony. I assume you're bringing a whole new look to this?

Philip Tan: Yeah, we're able to add way more detail than any of the cartoons had. And Mattel has been very supportive when we started to suggest that we make a few changes to make it more up-to-date. I'm bringing a little bit of my own style to it. And so far, so good.

I've been able to do certain things that I honestly didn't know if I would be able to do. And it's been exciting. I really like getting the chance to go into this optimistically.
    And Mattel bans 200X heads because?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Uh oh...this won't end well...
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

i like them. funny I like the sketches more than the finals I've seen from him. they look like the characters, just with a skew. I like them a lot actually.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

And Mattel bans 200X heads because?
    Invalid argument. These designs are for the comic and are not, as far as we know, affecting the designs of MOTUC figures.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

i enjoyed the article too, I agree a lot with what he's saying about he-man's design. yeah they made some adjustments but its SO against the Snake armour philosophy (one I argued about for years and still do now and again ) it sounds like he REALLY respects the characters and their iconic looks. again you can immediately tell who they are, it's just like batman's current costume, not much different from his original, but updated. I personally dig it and would LOVE some toys or statues in this style.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Exciting stuff... especially about Skeletor, who looks awesome in the sketches. The Sorceress looks like she might get nekkid... but that's ok The chainmail on HM's loin-cloth is usless but - pretty!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    Invalid argument. These designs are for the comic and are not, as far as we know, affecting the designs of MOTUC figures.
    Toyguru has said that MOTU needs to have one vision when moms and kids see those characters on various merchandising, not just figures. He said they would get confused. Then Mattel doesn't like multiple iterations of He-Man out there. So much for that.

Skeletor and the Sorceress look pretty good in the sketches. He-Man is just...okay.

Toyguru has said that MOTU needs to have one vision when moms and kids see those characters on various merchandising, not just figures. He said they would get confused. Then Mattel doesn't like multiple iterations of He-Man out there. So much for that.
    Who says they won't be "classics" if rendered as MOTUC figures?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

This is the comic book world which targets teens through adults, not so much mom's and children. The merchandising is for T-shirts lunch boxes, etc.

I'm happy to have MOTU portrayed in new media.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Skeletor looks like a beast and He-Man looks so puny next to him. I am assuming this is the scale that will be used for the comic.

MGM, I used that same statement in the other comic thread. Scott has said the brand needs to focus on a certain look for marketing, this goes against that.

And it it also proves that Mattel would probably allow movie makers to add their own interpretation to the designs so it will be another change in the visuals

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I agree. These designs would make great "refreshes" of current figures.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

the Horsemen originally wanted Skeletor to be taller than he-man as well, they said (and I essentially agree but I like he-man to be bigger than the non beast villains) that a hero is more impressive when his enemies are bigger than he is. (essentially)

My only problem with this watercolour is he-man's puny legs.

Fear is faith in failure

Over all the added touches to the costumes on He-Man, Skeletor, and The Sorceress look good. I'm not a fan of the random feathers on The Sorceress leg, above her knee, they just look out of place, and wow that is quite the plunging neck line.

I'm also not sure I like the little bits of armor on He-Man's boots, they are so small that I don't see what purpose they serve. If something doesn't add to the over all look and if they serve no real practical purpose then don't add them just to add you're own touches. Just my opinion, and again over all I like the artwork.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Graphic Comic Rendering, instead of Hyper Anime Detail?

Graphic Comic Rendering, instead of Hyper Anime Detail?
    You're so pulling straws just to prove your pro-200x stance and vent your frustration over the 200x heads bit. 200x characters/variants have been classicized so can DC characters/variants.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    This is the comic book world which targets teens through adults, not so much mom's and children. The merchandising is for T-shirts lunch boxes, etc.
    But the MOTUC figures are not available for moms and children either - they are a small niche line, available online only to "adult collectors", so no chance of confusion there either.

(not to criticize you, but Toyguru's original point which never made much sense.)

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I'm not even associating this with MOTUC. Its a seperate medium.

They even said a movie would be seperate, so I see no reason why a comic shouldn't be the same. I'd like 200x heads too, but that horse is getting well and truely flogged now. Fisto's extra head is that representation and it fits. Lets keep on topic about the new comic.

I'm loving Skeletor, though his skull feels a little ape-ish to me. I think The Sorceress is a little over done, but cool. He-Man feels a lot younger, almost early twenties.

I am looking forward to this. I mean even by the seperate comics again, rather than wait for the graphic novel!!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Totally digging the designs! This comic sounds really exciting
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

You're so pulling straws just to prove your pro-200x stance and vent your frustration over the 200x heads bit. 200x characters/variants have been classicized so can DC characters/variants.
    No, Mattel's stupid rules are pulling straws.

I'm being overly flippant about how vehement Mattel has been pushing this "ONE LOOK AT ALL COSTS" mentality with their multitude of excuses over the years. I'm not saying that Mattel can't make comic based figures--I was mocking their stance on alternate looks. As someone who is definitely impacted by those decisions, I get tired of the constant hypocracy.

No, Mattel's stupid rules are pulling straws.

I'm being overly flippant about how vehement Mattel has been pushing this "ONE LOOK AT ALL COSTS" mentality with their multitude of excuses over the years. I'm not saying that Mattel can't make comic based figures--I was mocking their stance on alternate looks. As someone who is definitely impacted by those decisions, I get tired of the constant hypocracy.
    As do I, but whenever they open up to something new, I'm all for it, even if the new isn't what I want, I believe mattel should follow hasbro to a degree and expand their brand beyond a single look and single line. that's why I support the mini masters, the icon heroes mini ennvironments et al, if that stuff does well Mattel will open the doors for more.

Fear is faith in failure

I'm okay with the designs, my only gripe is Skeletor towering over He-Man. That's a big NONO.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    As do I, but whenever they open up to something new, I'm all for it, even if the new isn't what I want, I believe mattel should follow hasbro to a degree and expand their brand beyond a single look and single line. that's why I support the mini masters, the icon heroes mini ennvironments et al, if that stuff does well Mattel will open the doors for more.
    Damn skippy. Got to be have some optimism.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

The most challenging part with designing her is how to update her look. But she already's got one of the best and most timeless look in the series, so I really only want to adjust some of the minor elements and not really changing the look too much. Again, keeping high fantasy heavy in mind for design direction, making them fit into a sword-and-sorcery world with a twist for the modern audience, means that we have to take into consideration what part of the original costume should be kept and work the updates into them, not the other way around.
    Interesting to see that twist for the modern audience translates into the Sorceress revealing more skin for drooling fanboys. Geez...
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."