Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TG Blog # 15: Scareglow - Ghost with the most

TG Blog # 15: Scareglow - Ghost with the most

Scareglow was one of my favorite figures as a kid. I think he was actually one of the very last figures I got, as well. I only had one of the Snake Men (Snake Face) and I never had any of the late Horde or heroic warriors from 1986 and 1987. I distinctly remember getting Scareglow at a Toys ‘R Us. I’m not sure if it was my parents or a visiting relative, but if I am remembering correctly, Scareglow was one of those “we are taking you to the toy store and you can pick out one figure” gifts.

So, unlike many other figures I had as a kid that were just given as gifts, Scareglow (while still a gift) was one I got to pick out myself right off the pegs!

And how cool is he? I mean, come on! He’s a flippin’ glowing skeleton with a giant green axe and a sweet purple cape. As a kid, this figure just jumped out at me. Plus, he came with that kicking “Search for Keldor” mini-comic that to this day I still think is the best mini-comic from the vintage line. While many of the early mini-comics were just there to sell toys and justify the figure in the package, this one actually brought the story forward and was the first hint into the mysterious origins of Skeletor! Oh, and it had Ninjor in it, too. Never had him, but he was sweet. My friend Shawn had Ninjor. I always stole him for my battles.

So when it came down to Classics, getting Scareglow into the line was definitely a priority for me. Plus, Scareglow was one of the few vintage MOTU figures (1982-1987) that never made it into the 200X show, toy line or Staction line. So I knew it wasn’t just me, but a ton of fans had been waiting a long time for a new Scareglow.

The other villain that I loved just as much as Scareglow was Spikor. When we were designing the 2009 lineup, I had both of these figures in mind for a fall monthly slot. Not only because they were personal favorites, but because, as stated above, neither had 200X releases or appeared on the show. So fan demand for them was high.

In the end, we went with Scareglow, mostly due to the lower tooling (Spikor needed more new parts, including unique wrist bands on his arms, multiple weapons and full chest armor). But from a personal standpoint, we decided to throw the other figure (Spikor) wayyyyy out into 2012. It was always my personal goal to see if I could stay on the brand long enough to get to him since both Scareglow and Spikor were my two favorite villains as a kid. By moving one of them far out, it acted to me personally as a “beacon” for the longevity of the line (and gave a great fan-demanded figure for 2012).

Of course, another cool benefit to having Scareglow in the 2009 line for Q4 was that he was SUPPOSED to be the October figure in time for Halloween. But as happens more times than I wish, one figure often gets delayed (in this case, Mer-Man) which caused a ricochet effect that bumped every figure for the rest of the year down a month. While I was slightly disappointed that Scareglow got moved out of October, I was even more disappointed that this bump also affected our December figure, Adora, and pushed her to January 2010. I really wanted one POP figure in Year 1, but alas, the Mer-Man delay moved her out, too. (More on Adora when I get to her in a few weeks!)

Back to Scareglow. I’ve told this story before, but it is funny to mention it again: when I brought the entire 2009 line up to upper management, a few of the high-ups who were old timers (and had worked on the vintage line) looked at my image of MOTUC Scareglow (on what we call a B-sheet, or a concept sheet, showing the proposed tooling and costs of a figure along with an image) then immediately looked at me and said “Scareglow? Really?”

Back in the day (it seems), Scareglow was part of what we often call a “filler wave.” When a toy line is popular enough (like MOTU was in 1985!), production sometimes can’t keep up with retail demand so the marketing team will come up with a low tool or even a redeco wave to offer additional product that can be “rushed” to shelf faster compared to newly tooled figures (like we do today).

If you look at the “wave” of figures that Scareglow (vintage) was in, all of them were low tool or repaints. Characters like Randor, Clamp Champ, Ninjor and Scareglow all used the basic body and new heads/weapons. No new body tools were included (which was the exception for figures this deep in the line).

I explained in detail to the execs that while “Scareglow” was a quick fix to getting more product out in 1986/1987, now-a-days he was actually one of the most demanded collector figures (mostly due to not being in the 2002 line, but also because he is just so cool looking.

I was given a “well, if you say so” nod (which really does show the trust that upper management has put in me personally for this line) but I still stand by my choice that Scareglow was 100% the right figure to release early in the line.

By the time we got to Scareglow, we had implemented our “2 accessories per figure” rule (a “rule” that didn’t exist when we made earlier figures like Stratos, who were just following the “whatever the vintage figure came with” idea). We knew he would obviously come with his sickle from the vintage days, but this was a very early example of coming up with a new idea for a second accessory.

We talked at length with the Horsemen and it was them who came up with the idea of giving him a reliquary linked to Castle Grayskull. They proposed it to be similar to Marley’s Ghost in Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol.” The idea was that Scareglow is a “ghost” and often in pop culture and literature, ghosts must carry an object that reflects evil deeds they perpetuated in life, and in death they must carry this item as a “curse.” For Marley it was his chains, for Scareglow, the idea was to give him an object that would represent some horrible deed he had participated in during “life.” This being MOTU, the obvious choice was breaking into Castle Grayskull and the Horsemen came up with a really cool reliquary in the form of a Castle Grayskull artifact that held the key to the Castle. Thus, the idea is he is being punished for his crimes by carrying around a jar with the key, but he can never open the jar. Forever so close, yet so far from his dreams!

Because this was one of the very first “original” accessories for the line, we wanted to make sure to include it in his bio and thus Scareglow’s bio was one of the first (and almost only at this point) bios that was actually re-written to include this accessory and explain it. I honestly don’t recall what his original bio was. It really wasn’t that different, but I know it didn’t include the reference to the reliquary. That sentence was added in after the Horsemen came up with the idea for the accessory.

Speaking of the bio, this was also one of the early bios I remember which fans were blasting the final sentence saying it was poorly written -- when in fact, the final sentence was the ONLY sentence in the bio that was taken directly from vintage material (in this case, the single sentence on the back of the vintage figure’s package). In particular, I remember a forum member posting that Scarerglow would never
    “jump out and surprise” his foes and that this was the worst part of the new bio. This did make me laugh a bit considering that this was the only sentence in the bio taken word for word from vintage material! So if it was hokey or odd, blame the vintage line not the current one! We always wanted to use as much existing text for all the bios. While most of this came from the single line on vintage card backs or the 1987 licensor kits, Scareglow didn’t have a 1987 licensor kit bio so that left only the vintage card line as the existing copy to use.

Another interesting note about Scareglow is his tagline. In the vintage line, his tagline was “Evil Ghost of Skeletor.” For decades, this left fans wondering if Scareglow was indeed the Ghost of Skeletor (after all, he is dead, perhaps time-traveling back in time to serve himself?) or if like Faker who was the “Evil Roboto of Skeletor” and clearly not Skeletor but rather “of Skeletor” meant “in service to Skeletor.”

Since there was precedent through Faker’s tagline that “Evil Roboto of Skeletor” could mean “serving” we made the call to end this debate and confirm indeed that Scareglow is the “Evil Ghost SERVING Skeletor” not “of Skeletor” which could be interpreted as being Skeletor’s actual ghost.

Wow, this is getting way too nerdy. I have a headache. But there you go. Thought is put into every detail like this.

A few other things to hit on regarding Scareglow would be his name and his glowing. The name in the bio “Karak Nul” was all new. There was very little vintage material for him (being one of the few figures not in the 1987 licensor kit) and he only appeared in one mini-comic (the epic “Search for Keldor”) and clearly “Scareglow” was not a name his “mom” had given him (the litmus test we used on all characters to decide if he or she needs a new real name).

There isn’t anything too deep about the name. Karak sounded like “crack” (which he had as a trademark detail in his skull) and Nul was a bit like null and void, or not existing, which is what he pretty much does as a ghost. We tried a few names back and forth and this was the one we all liked the best. With very little in terms of vintage or modern media appearances, Scareglow needed a bit more work to create his bio.
    From a design standpoint, we knew we wanted him to glow as that is what Scareglow is all about. Some fans and customers complained that we said “no action features” in the Classics line, but I still stand by the call that what we don’t want to do are action features that break up the sculpt or require huge amounts of tooling. Casting existing parts in glow-in-the-dark plastic was a no-brainer. Terry even came up with the cool concept of making the tip of his scythe glow as well for a cool affect. He also made the final part of his cape transparent, as if he was fading away.

The very first proto of Scareglow came back from our vendor and had way too much wash on the skull. This wound up being the version we had for SDCC that year (he was one of the big reveals, if memory serves – it often doesn’t) and some fans really loved the wash while others hated it. I tried to quickly note that this was not final (much to the annoyance to those who liked the over-wash) but in the end, I still think going with the vintage paint scheme as intended by the Horsemen was the way to go (although selfishly, I kept one of the early prototypes with the extra-dark wash. I keep it in a box under my desk, along with a few other early “mistakes” or test shots, such as an all-black flocked He-Man that was a test for Moss Man and a few other MOTUC odds and ends I’ve collected over the years.).

Scareglow was one of my favorites in the vintage line and now in Classics, he is too. With the new accessory and the glowing “skin,” the Horsemen and Terry really knocked this one out of the park (and all with very little tooling!). I really felt like Scareglow was a turnkey figure in the line that showed our customers (and management) how deep this new collector line could go.

And looking back, we were just getting warmed up!

Until next time!

SdN
    (AKA Toy Guru)
    the ignore list is my new best friend

This was a really good blog entry. Thanks, Scott.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

"Power of Fear" acknowledgement? Nah, of course not!

Heroic Warrior
    Love Scareglow!!!! Always has been one of my favorite figures.....I only wished they fleshed out more of his background and involved him more in the comics and cartoon....however he was brought out toward the end of the line......

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    "Power of Fear" acknowledgement? Nah, of course not!
    Same thought I had. He acts as though those comics never existed.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Neitlich BLOG 15
    Speaking of the bio, this was also one of the early bios I remember which fans were blasting the final sentence saying it was poorly written -- when in fact, the final sentence was the ONLY sentence in the bio that was taken directly from vintage material (in this case, the single sentence on the back of the vintage figure’s package). In particular, I remember a forum member posting that Scarerglow would never
    “jump out and surprise” his foes and that this was the worst part of the new bio. This did make me laugh a bit considering that this was the only sentence in the bio taken word for word from vintage material! So if it was hokey or odd, blame the vintage line not the current one! We always wanted to use as much existing text for all the bios. While most of this came from the single line on vintage card backs or the 1987 licensor kits, Scareglow didn’t have a 1987 licensor kit bio so that left only the vintage card line as the existing copy to use.
    I wonder why they couldn't use material from Mattel's 1987 Style Guide that has a bio for Scare Glow?
    (albeit a *very short* bio, LOL)

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Good blog entry. I was definitely one of those that drastically preferred the heavy wash on the proto, though...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I think seeing Scare Glow, King Randor, and Adora in the pics for that year's SDCC lineup, plus getting He-Ro as an exclusive that year, got me to seriously start thinking about collecting MOTUC. Honestly, after feeling burned with the end of 200X and the death of the stactions, I figured Classics wasn't going to last very long. I loved them, but they were quite expensive and I figured they'd only do a handful of the main characters then call it quits. Wow, was I wrong about THAT! When I saw where this line was going with characters like Scare Glow (who, along with Shokoti, brings some of the "horror" component to the MOTU blend), I was convinced things were really going somewhere.

Scott, FYI Scare Glow appeared in the very cool 200X Dream Halloween comic "The Power of Fear." If you haven't read it, definitely check it out. Totally worth reading. I remember freaking out when I saw Scare Glow in that comic!!

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    (although selfishly, I kept one of the early prototypes with the extra-dark wash. I keep it in a box under my desk, along with a few other early “mistakes” or test shots, such as an all-black flocked He-Man that was a test for Moss Man and a few other MOTUC odds and ends I’ve collected over the years.)
    I vote Black Mold-Man for 2013!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    I vote Black Mold-Man for 2013!!!
    I wholeheartedly agree! Especially if they connected him with the Creeping Horak!

I'd love to see pics of that figure!

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Evil Ghost serving Skeletor” could mean a Skeletor that serves Evil Ghosts. I always thought Evil ghostly Henchmen would have been best.

tot his day one of my favourite figures.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I wonder why they couldn't use material from Mattel's 1987 Style Guide that has a bio for Scare Glow?
    (albeit a *very short* bio, LOL)

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._glow_m416.gif
    You'd think MATTEL would know about the MATTEL Style Guide. Scott says he performed all kinds of research for other information, but failed to tap his largest reservoir of knowledge about MOTU which would be the community here at he-man.org.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    Of course, he was originally Scare Glow, not Scareglow. I think Scott was absolutely right to get this one into the Classics early. Disagree about the 'serving' thing being better than him actually being Skeletor's ghost though.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Evil Ghost serving Skeletor” could mean a Skeletor that serves Evil Ghosts.
    LOL, indeed ;-)

Scare Glow definitely got one of the coolest accessories in the line and man i want that test shot box, lol!
    Last edited by JimPansen; May 16, 2012 at 04:08pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Scare Glow definitely got one of the coolest accessories in the line and man i want those test shot box, lol!
    Agreed! A wicked cool accessory for a wicked cool character!

I'd love to see pics from Toyguru's MOTUC "Graveyard" as well!

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Very cool informative Blog this one is! Although Scareglow is one of my favorites so that may have added to it. Really good read here though, Mr. Toyguru! Love the stories behind his new accessory, the bio, and real name. Also, it's somewhat embarassing that some people would blast the bios back then when they were blasting the EXACT sentence off the vintage cardback.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I never had Scare Glow as a kid. I got out of the line by then. But he is one of my favorite classics figure. Also, thanks to Scott for doing these blogs. I have enjoyed reading them.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I liked this BIO, the Karak Kul name, the new accessory and all. Scareglow is GREAT!!!
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    I didn't much care for the bio, myself. While I've got a lot invested in the idea of Scare Glow as the ghost of Skeletor (it's the way I always understood the character back in the day, and it's a key plot point in the fanfic I wrote), that's not my primary issue, since the '87 style guide demonstrated I was wrong on that point. No, my complaint is that 'bounty hunter' seems too mundane and mercenary a role for a character like Scare Glow. I'd prefer him as an evil sorcerer or a cultist of dark and terrible powers like Hordak or the Nameless One.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I really felt like Scareglow was a turnkey figure in the line that showed our customers (and management) how deep this new collector line could go.
    Ha! Turnkey...he comes with...a...key.

Anyway, Jukka beat me to it. Scareglow DEFINITELY had a spot in the Licensing Kit. It also confirms that Scareglow IS Skeletor's ghost:

Skeletor conjured up this spirit in his own image to frighten travelers on the pathways of Eternia. Scare Glow is invisible during daylight, but glows at night.
    Also worthy of note: his Glow of Terror stunsfoes and keeps them from attacking...and his scythe is called his "Spirit Staff."

Fun info from TG, though.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Scareglow DEFINITELY had a spot in the Licensing Kit. It also confirms that Scareglow IS Skeletor's ghost:
    You mean it is the same as what MOTUC went with yeah? If you mean it is skeletor's spirit, it says 'in his image' which makes me think it is just created/conjured ghost.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Same thought I had. He acts as though those comics never existed.
    Didn't the use the Icons of Evil comics to base the bios on Beast Man, Mer Man, and Trap Jaw?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    You mean it is the same as what MOTUC went with yeah? If you mean it is skeletor's spirit, it says 'in his image' which makes me think it is just created/conjured ghost.
    Well...Skeletor created a ghost that looked like him to scare people. In MOTUC, he was some guy that tried to break into Castle Grayskull and eventually dies.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Well...Skeletor created a ghost that looked like him to scare people. In MOTUC, he was some guy that tried to break into Castle Grayskull and eventually dies.
    ah ok i see what you mean. the bit of it not being 'dead skeletor's spirit' is the same though, but not the rest. hmmm, i think i like the bit of him being conjured up by skeletor more now that i consider it more.

Snappy Threader
    Awesome blog. I too thought Scare Glow and Ninjor were awesome. Now, where is Classics Ninjor? Little tooling needed, let's get moving on him.