Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stinkor, Slush Head & Mighty Spector Arrival Thread

My three figures came yesterday and I'm very excited about them. The Mighty Spector looks bigger in person than I thought and I'm still trying to decide which head to use for Stinkor. I'm also very impressed with Slush Head - bring on more NA Mutants!

The Snake-Mountain stands are much cooler in person and help differentiate the "Evil Warriors" section of my display. I only used the extra "rock" piece once or twice as it just doesn't look right in many of the peg holes.

Slush Head is very cool. I'm tempted to add water but fearing loss of paint on the head, mold, or leakage, I'm holding off for now.

Stinkor is great! Deco is good. Smell is just right. But the forearms as they are assembled are grotesque. I am in the process of swapping them now. It is very simple if anyone is feeling too intimidated to correct their own. In fact, I will post a brief photo tutorial on my blog soon to help others who want to fix their figure.

It takes a lot to get me to pull the trigger on a MOTU Classics figure that'll cost me $30+ after shipping, but Matty found my weakness with their most foul-smelling figure ever. Today I've got a new review of my all-time favorite He-Man villain: Stinkor!

[I can't post the full version of this review here without Google flagging me for duplicate content, but you can access the prettied-up version of this review on my daily toy blog blog with the full photo gallery by clicking right here.]

The Right:
    • It's Stinkor!! Stinkor is one of the figures I really, really wanted from the 200x line, and I'm excited that Matty gave him to use this time before there was any chance of the line being canceled.
    • Stinkor is mostly black and white, which is a superb contrast to the brilliant, radioactive orange of his armor. I know some aren't major fans of the orange, but everything from my clothes to my backpack to my phone is neon orange, so I'm pretty much in heaven with Stinkor's orange added to my Masters of the Universe Classics display.
    • Despite their on-and-off hatred of alternate heads, Stinkor comes with a second head in addition to his default awesome modern 200x head: a vintage-inspired, repainted Merman head. To be truthful, I hate the vintage head, but I know a lot of fans wanted it for its authenticity to the original figure, so I'm really glad the head is included here for those fans!
    • A whopping 6 accessories! In addition to the alternate head, you get a 200x-inspired air gauge attachment for the armor, an air tanks backpack, the infamous stink gun, a gas mask, and Stinkor's shield! Every accessory attaches firmly where it's supposed to on Stinkor and looks excellent.
    • 27 points of articulation including ankle rockers makes me a happy He-Man fan! I've had a lot of issues with loose joints in the past with this line, but Stinkor is totally free of looseness or any other quality control issues.
    • I've been told by my wife that I must say that Stinkor smells like hippie. Whatever that means. To my knowledge, he smells like patchouli AKA old lady, and he does indeed stink most wretchedly. Bravo, Mattel.

The Wrong:
    • Other than the air gauge and alternate head, Stinkor's accessories have zippo paint apps on them. As in: none. The stink gun, the shield, the backpack are all totally undetailed. That may have looked okay in the 1980's, but in the here and now it makes Stinkor look cheap. I know this happened because of "cost" issues, but I'm certain Matty could have found a way to make up the pennies they'd lose on adding some deco to at least one of the neon blue accessories.
    • The white mailer box has "Lieutenant Spector" written on the bottom. I almost had a minor heart attack thinking Matty had sent me that... interesting... figure instead of Stinkor.

Overall: Stinkor is just a flat-out terrific action figure. The biggest concern with a MOTUC figure is usually quality-control, but Stinkor is all aces: perfect paint, tight joints, no defective parts. The articulation is everything I had hoped for and even includes the ankle rockers I'm infatuated with, and he Stinkor has every accessory you could reasonably expect him to come with (sorry Oedipus fans). I'm let down by the lack of any paint deco whatsoever on any of the main accessories, but Stinkor is such a fantastic figure I'd feel remiss awarding him anything other a high recommendation.

GRADE: A-

Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Can't wait for Horde Prime, the Snake 2-pack, Frosta, Spikor, and _______, ___________, and _______________________...
    You know you're looking too much into things when you consider counting the spaces and comparing them to character names...
    *sigh... 7, 11, 23*
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Podcaster
    Still waiting on mine two weeks after sale date and I've been a subscriber from the very beginning. I used to get these one week after the sale day, then it was up to three days later for awhile and now its 10 days or more since they switched to this system.

Not happy.
    Angella Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MultiBot NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Stinkor is definitely my favourite vintage figure of the year so far. He's as good as, or even better than, Fisto.
    This is a character that I despised in the 80s. I did a massive facepalm the first time I saw him in the toy aisle. MYP made me like him, and MOTUC has made him a favourite.
    I'm mostly going with the vintage head, but even when I've had the 200x head on, I don't like using the mask. I like the concept of it, but it adds more blue than I like, and it covers the awesome head sculpts.

Finally got around fixing Stinkor,
    swapped and repainted forearms and painted metallic highlights on gun, shield and tanks.

Here are the results,
    very happy with it now!!

And then Spector... is actually Time-Traveler Spelector... lol!

Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Warrior
    Got my Stinkor and Slush-head yesterday.

Slush-head looks flawless except for that plug on his dome, but since that's a design choice I'm ok with that as it was done to allow the action feature. I will not be filling mine with water because I know what should happen in the future, so if it was just for me I wouldn't put the plug in there. But I do understand that some people will want to fill it so it's something that was took into consideration and this was Mattel's way to aproach it. The rest is perfect and I'm happy with it.

As for Stinkor I mean... how can some people say he's perfect??? He's not! The 4 Horsemen are the artists beyond the sculpt, they are the reason you get these figures the way they are presented to you, and the 4HM just don't sculpt them like that do for no reason. There's logic in their work, and for the MOTU universe it was always about the human anatomy. How on earth can someone justify this move, intentional or not, and how on earth can people accept it??? The figure stands hideous, even the wrists somewhat curve to the wrong side. People can try to hide it with shields, make up stories about glands and other crap, but accept this and let it be? This is about detail, some complain about the lack of paint apps on the weapons but the incorrect anatomy details don't count?

A month that could be awesome is just "meh" to me. By now Stinkor should already be out of the box, but I'll let him be until I get the time to fix him...

My figures finally arrived today. Stinkor is badass to me no matter what. We're almost certainly not getting a corrected one, so I'll just live with it.

photo 1-1.JPG

I just got done sticking Spector on my Heroic Warriors shelf. Have trouble seeing him? GOOD, that's what I wanted!

photo 2-1.JPG

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Stinkor is definitely my favourite vintage figure of the year so far. He's as good as, or even better than, Fisto.
    This is a character that I despised in the 80s. I did a massive facepalm the first time I saw him in the toy aisle. MYP made me like him
    I think there are a lot of us out there that hated Stinkor until MYP.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    King Skeletor! This is the Skeletor that conquered Castle Grayskull. I love it!

Oh, I'm liking the work you guys are doing adding highlights to Stinkor's gear! That's certainly been a trademark detail of MOTUC that I've loved and probably take for granted. Stinkor's stuff doesn't look awful without it, but the "bath toy blue" is definitely helped by the metallic color variation. I may have to look into adding this myself as well.

Speaking of little details, the glossy red buttons on Spector's boots and belt really work for me and came out a bit cleaner than details used on these same pieces on other figures.

Another thing I forgot to mention is both Slush Head's ax/gun and Stinkor's belt each had a small hair stuck in the dry paint. That's right: The prices are going up because there are Sasquatches assembling our toys. They demand fair pay!

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    King Skeletor! This is the Skeletor that conquered Castle Grayskull. I love it!

Thanks dude!!
    Yeah, in "my canon" Skeletor stole this prototype time traveling suit that MAA and Gwildor were developing and went back in time to fix his very first failed attempt to take the Castle!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Finally got around fixing Stinkor,
    swapped and repainted forearms and painted metallic highlights on gun, shield and tanks.

Here are the results,
    very happy with it now!!
    Great work on Stinkor!! I can't wait to do the same on my mine. He's one of my favorite vintage figures and I was extremely upset with how Mattel messed up his forearms (I will never believe their sad excuses for it)...so malformed, even at the wrists it looks deformed. Cool Skeletor!! I'll be using TMS for parts to make UK Horde Prime and some other character with the remaining pieces. Slush Head looks great too! I wasn't a big NA fan, but they're looking fantastico in MOTUC!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkpat View Post
    Why does my Stinkor white mailer say "Lieutenant Spector" on the bottom of it?
    One would think that with the Mighty Spector coming out at the same time as Stinkor, they would have put that notation on the Spector box instead. But there's no accounting for logic at Mattel!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    One would think that with the Mighty Spector coming out at the same time as Stinkor, they would have put that notation on the Spector box instead. But there's no accounting for logic at Mattel!
    Ummm duh.....nobody shall overshadow the magnitude that is the arrival of Spector!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    My Slush Head is set to arrive today, and BBTS shipped out my 2 Stinkors yesterday! Can't wait to fix those God-awful forearm tumors!!!

As for Spector...only if he is given to me or Mad Matty sells him for $5.00!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    As for Spector...only if he is given to me or Mad Matty sells him for $5.00!
    So you would still take him. Ha, I knew it, Spector is accepted in MOTUC

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuno View Post
    As for Stinkor I mean... how can some people say he's perfect??? He's not! The 4 Horsemen are the artists beyond the sculpt, they are the reason you get these figures the way they are presented to you, and the 4HM just don't sculpt them like that do for no reason. There's logic in their work, and for the MOTU universe it was always about the human anatomy. How on earth can someone justify this move, intentional or not, and how on earth can people accept it??? The figure stands hideous, even the wrists somewhat curve to the wrong side. People can try to hide it with shields, make up stories about glands and other crap, but accept this and let it be? This is about detail, some complain about the lack of paint apps on the weapons but the incorrect anatomy details don't count?
    The reason why you might be seeing people accepting their Stinkors is because we've been down this road before with King Hsss, Roboto and Swiftwind. People aren't "okay" with it, but they can't really do anything about it. Most people aren't customizers or willing to potentially mess up their figures in the attempt to present the arms the correct way. Mattel isn't going to fix the problem either.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    So you would still take him. Ha, I knew it, Spector is accepted in MOTUC
    Not as he is...only for custom fodder!

Nice try, though!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I was never a major Spector hater, I honestly was pretty "whatever". But getting him in hand, I actually really dig him.
    My only complaint is how tiny his head is. That's what makes him stand out from the rest of the MOTUC for me.

I discovered that I had to display my Stinkor with classic head, no mask, red dot, but with tanks. And thought that 200x head is so cool, it's just not my stinkor. I never had merman, and that head always looked so much like a cat (skunk?) I always knew it as stinkor.

So.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I discovered that I had to display my Stinkor with classic head, no mask, red dot, but with tanks.
    lol, same here. I keep switching it up, but that's what I always come back to.
    The Mer-Man head has never been Mer-Man's real head, so it works for me. I've always thought of it as the "Stinkor head" anyway. I'm still surprised I'm going with that one though, since I like MYP Stinkor so much. But vintage is mostly what I go with in my display, so it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The reason why you might be seeing people accepting their Stinkors is because we've been down this road before with King Hsss, Roboto and Swiftwind. People aren't "okay" with it, but they can't really do anything about it. Most people aren't customizers or willing to potentially mess up their figures in the attempt to present the arms the correct way. Mattel isn't going to fix the problem either.
    I accept it b/c I think it looks fine. The so-called 'eternian tumor' is simply not noticeable to me, and I like how his arms are.
    In fact, nobody noticed it until Alexx figured it out. Nobody said anything even when a couple people asked if they were new forearms.
    While they shouldn't have switched the forearms (and they should never do anything like that again), it's nowhere near what some are making it out to be. Just a bit worse b/c to switch them, they need to be painted.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Can't wait for Horde Prime, the Snake 2-pack, Frosta, Spikor, and _______, ___________, and _______________________...
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    You know you're looking too much into things when you consider counting the spaces and comparing them to character names...
    *sigh... 7, 11, 23*
    Scorpia or Shokoti, Clamp Champ, Dragon Blaster Skeletor. Am I close?

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    So impressed with the Blue metalic highlights...what paints do you guys recommend?

also I LOVE that so many of us are getting rid of that stupid Spade on Spector!!! I always though that under that dopey choice was a great figure!! bravo .Orgers......SHAME TG!!!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]