Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Dini Filmation Writer says Filmation came up with MOTU Mythos, not Mattel...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I'm not saying there weren't good ideas, because I agree, there were, but when it comes to Transformers in general, I just find it to lose its magic. I liked some of the stuff in the Marvel run, but I don't think IDW has ever come up with a good TF comic and DW only had the first WWI story that was good (except Grimlock being there made no sense), the rest of their stuff was crap. Plus, if I recall, the comic made Galvatron a seperate entity from Megatron, and that was utter nonsense.
    Have you checked out IDW's two TF books since Mike "I'm burned out by writing giant robots" Costa left? It's so much better!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Paul dini was the one who was bitter about his work at filmation. (can't say he STILL is but circa BTAS he was definitely bitter about it) Bruce timm seemed more appreciative of his he-man work (he never gushed but I never heard a bitterness)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    You're welcome! Sorry I didn't point out how annoying the intro was!
    This is why I can't watch Comic Book Guys on AMC. Or watch any Kevin Smith movies. Or read any of his comics.

Paul Dini is a great writer and certainly did a lot to flesh out the MOTU mythos. But I get the feeling he's let thirty years of bitterness cloud his memories a bit. My reading of the interview went like this:

KS: So, Mattel basically threw toys at you and said "create this universe".
    PD: Yeah, they had the name "Eternia" and we (the writers) created everything else. Everything that you love about MOTU came from me and everything you hate resulted from Mattel's vagueness concerning the property.

Don't get me wrong, Dini did as much as anyone else in terms of sculpting the world of MOTU as we know it, but I think he's maybe overestimating his own contributions a wee bit.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    This is why I can't watch Comic Book Guys on AMC. Or watch any Kevin Smith movies. Or read any of his comics.

Paul Dini is a great writer and certainly did a lot to flesh out the MOTU mythos. But I get the feeling he's let thirty years of bitterness cloud his memories a bit. My reading of the interview went like this:

KS: So, Mattel basically threw toys at you and said "create this universe".
    PD: Yeah, they had the name "Eternia" and we (the writers) created everything else. Everything that you love about MOTU came from me and everything you hate resulted from Mattel's vagueness concerning the property.

Don't get me wrong, Dini did as much as anyone else in terms of sculpting the world of MOTU as we know it, but I think he's maybe overestimating his own contributions a wee bit.
    To be fair a lot of the mythos came from the Michael Halperin bible didn't it? that was done for filmation to do a show. I haven't listened to the interview but I know Dini was very bitter for a while. sad because Filmation gave a lot of folks a chance to get their start, i'd be so grateful for a company to do that for me.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Sorry guys. Personally, I love Kevin Smith, but his podcasts are FULL of vulgarity, so I had to take out the link. It's Smodcast episode #211 if anyone wants to search it out for themselves.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

This was already a pretty well-known fact.

The "MOTU Bible" written by Michael Halperin is where most of the built-up lore comes form. Halperin even wrote some of the minicomics himself in the early stage, and they incorporate the elements that have become iconic for the franchise.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    This was already a pretty well-known fact.

The "MOTU Bible" written by Michael Halperin is where most of the built-up lore comes form. Halperin even wrote some of the minicomics himself in the early stage, and they incorporate the elements that have become iconic for the franchise.
    Several things were also introduced in the DC Comics (Adam as He-Man's secret ID, his talking cat Cringer, Marlena being from earth). It's quite possible that Halperin was involved at this point or that Mark Ellis, Lou Scheimer, and others were generating ideas, but Paul Kupperberg from DC doesn't recall a series bible. Here's an interview Sallah did with him a couple of years ago...

http://www.motucfigures.com/2010/07/...asters-of.html

Regardless, there is no question that much of the post-Glut/Alcala mythos was developed and solidified by Michael Halperin. Still, I suspect others (such as Kupperberg) were tossing in some seminal ideas as well.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Several things were also introduced in the DC Comics (Adam as He-Man's secret ID, his talking cat Cringer, Marlena being from earth). It's quite possible that Halperin was involved at this point or that Mark Ellis, Lou Scheimer, and others were generating ideas, but Paul Kupperberg from DC doesn't recall a series bible. Here's an interview Sallah did with him a couple of years ago...

Regardless, there is no question that much of the post-Glut/Alcala mythos was developed and solidified by Michael Halperin. Still, I suspect others (such as Kupperberg) were tossing in some seminal ideas as well.
    Yep, I know the Kupperberg/Glut DC stories well, as I read the original DC minicomic as a kid. What I am wondering is how sure we can be 30 years later that they DIDN'T get any kind of outline of story elements provided to them beforehand. It's hard to remember everything that happened a decade ago, especially in a busy profession such as a comics writer.

Kevin is God....interview was good too.....hehe.

Paul Dini Reflects on Filmation on Podcast

Hey guys just wanted to drop in a tidbit here and inform y'all that Paul Dini was just recently on a Kevin smith podacst (Fatman on Batman) where he spoke of his career ladder and Kevin had him speak on his Filmation MOTU experience offering a nice little chunk of history, definitely worth the listen!

here's the link for anyone wanting to listen:
    **Please do not post direct links to this interview. Lots of vulgarity. It's easy enough to find if you look for Kevin Smith's podcast site.**
    Last edited by Nemisythe; June 3, 2012 at 11:09am.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    I never knew Paul Dini and Bruce Timm were involved with this show before until i did research on the net about 11 years ago and that kicks a$$ you know those two are geniuses for making such shows like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman TAS, Justice League, Superman TAS and other DC/Warner shows.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.