Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Save man-at-arms

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    How is character selection being broadened? New characters aren't being introduced. It's just leading to never before seen variants of other, existing characters: Sorceress Teela and Clamp Champ-At-Arms. I don't see how that's different from variant MAA and Sorceress.
    I understand that Sorceress Teela would be a variant, but Clamp Champ is a new character to MOTU classics. I was also speaking to A broader sense of story telling, especially in epic, life spanning narratives like MOTU classics. Character deaths open up space for new characters and significant character growth for others...like Teela.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Psh... if only this were a fantasy world where meek princes became muscular heroes, where living skulls try to take over the universe, where there are men with three faces or spring legs or metal jaws, and maybe the dead could be resurrected at an undetermined later stage. .....oh wait
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I understand that Sorceress Teela would be a variant, but Clamp Champ is a new character to MOTU classics. I was also speaking to A broader sense of story telling, especially in epic, life spanning narratives like MOTU classics. Character deaths open up space for new characters and significant character growth for others...like Teela.
    Clamp Champ looked the same when he was JUST Clamp Champ: the Royal Bodyguard (MOTUC mini-comics). I'm not sure if his outfit will change when he's Clamp Champ-At-Arms. MAA dying doesn't allow him to come into MOTUC though...he would come regardless. The abruptness of the deaths of both the Sorceress and MAA make for FEWER stories (in my opinion). It's like they're rushing through the story to get to the end. Teela's training would take YEARS to even be a mediocre Sorceress. Remember her visions in MYP when she got the blood transfusion from the Sorceress? She couldn't tell a trick from reality and didn't know how to deal with it properly. YEARS of story lines. Killing them off, automatically STOPS building up the characters we know now and the relationships/interactions they could have and puts them in their future roles. We don't even know that much about current Clamp Champ...and we will only get MAA Clamp-Champ. I see limited stories. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    He has to die sometime.
    He has one more pupil to train first.

Last edited by Darkspecter; May 16, 2012 at 09:10pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Clamp Champ looked the same when he was JUST Clamp Champ: the Royal Bodyguard (MOTUC mini-comics). I'm not sure if his outfit will change when he's Clamp Champ-At-Arms. MAA dying doesn't allow him to come into MOTUC though...he would come regardless. The abruptness of the deaths of both the Sorceress and MAA make for FEWER stories (in my opinion). It's like they're rushing through the story to get to the end. Teela's training would take YEARS to even be a mediocre Sorceress. Remember her visions in MYP when she got the blood transfusion from the Sorceress? She couldn't tell a trick from reality and didn't know how to deal with it properly. YEARS of story lines. Killing them off, automatically STOPS building up the characters we know now and the relationships/interactions they could have and puts them in their future roles. We don't even know that much about current Clamp Champ...and we will only get MAA Clamp-Champ. I see limited stories. *shrugs*

He has one more pupil to train first.

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...iblepage11.jpg

http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...iblepage17.jpg
    Why do you keep pushing for this when Mattel hasn't even commited it self to going as far as to do that type of story. Stick with the present and in the present Duncan dies as a Snakeman batteling the current Man-At-Arms Clamp Champ who I believe is related to Dekker the one who trained Duncan.

I say make Clamp Champ the MAA in the "Son of He-Man" story. That would be a way to get a Clamp Champ variant that doesn't reuse the same MAA buck we've already seen.

And make Kay-La HIS niece. Looking at her character design, I think it would be much improved by a darker skin tone, anyway. Hell, make her biracial. Add another type of diversity to this brand.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Why do you keep pushing for this when Mattel hasn't even commited it self to going as far as to do that type of story. Stick with the present and in the present Duncan dies as a Snakeman batteling the current Man-At-Arms Clamp Champ who I believe is related to Dekker the one who trained Duncan.
    Roast Gooble Dinner #84, Toyguru says He-Ro: Son of He-Man is scheduled somewhere in the line. There are also a bunch of different Ask Matty and Q&As from different sites that mention it.

Here are two recent positive mentions of it:

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    1. MISSILE-TOE: Are characters from the "Son of He-Man" continuity likely to ever be released, such as Kay-La, Air-Bag, Fork-Lift, Saw-Tooth, Missile-Toe, Ever-Mean and Bug-Eye? If so, have they been scheduled in at any point for inclusion in MOTUC?

They are definitely figures we have talked about, but nothing to announce quite yet. Stay tuned!
    Is "Son of Heman" going to be part of MOTUC canon? I'll take "keep reading the bios" as a yes.

We would love to get to this realm of the lore in time. But no plans to announce right now.
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...ghlight=son+of

It's coming.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 17, 2012 at 12:12am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Roast Gooble Dinner #84, Toyguru says He-Ro: Son of He-Man is scheduled somewhere in the line. There are also a bunch of different Ask Matty and Q&As from different sites that mention it.

Here are two recent positive mentions of it:

http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...ghlight=son+of

It's coming.
    Read what they are saying because you are assuming too much and may be dissapointed later. They are saying it's come up in conversation but there are no plans for son of He-Man right now.

we have talked about, but nothing to announce quite yet

We would love to get to this in time. But no plans to announce right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Read what they are saying because you are assuming too much and may be dissapointed later.

we have talked about, but nothing to announce quite yet

We would love to get to this in time. But no plans to announce right now.
    What about Toyguru saying it's scheduled in the line?

Didn't Scott also say the line is set up to go till 2017?
    I'm not saying they won't do it, but the way you are posting about it makes it look like they have made a commitment to it when all Scott has said in passing conversation in questions is it's has been talked about and something they would like to get to in time. in other words it's not a priority for them since they have lots of other characters to get to first. If they do wind up doing anything Son of He-Man it would be years away.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Exactly! I follow my story, not Mattel's. It's like Kirk losing Spock. It wouldn't have continued without him in the long run. And Man at Arms will always be essential in my book.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

MOTUC may not be definitive, but that doesn't mean it can't be critiqued.

Personally, I never liked the whole Snake Man-at-Arms thing in the first place. It always felt like a Deus Ex Machina for the villains, not to mention just seeming really random.

It's not Man-at-Arms dying that annoys me, however. What annoys me is how it's just such a throwaway, "Dying as Yourself" moment. Man-at-Arms is too much of a beloved character to get killed in self-defense as a villain. If Man-at-Arms goes down, he needs to go down in a blaze of glory, taking an army down with him. Duncan deserves a heroic sacrifice.

But MOTUC is not definitive, so it's not so big of a deal. I just hope things like this are planned carefully.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; May 17, 2012 at 01:05am.

Man-at-arms shot first!!!

Uh, sorry

Despite what we're being told now, Man-At-Arms was not going to die in MYP (as per interviews with those working on MYP). Also, Mattel said they want to explore "He-Ro: Son of He-Man" and both Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress are alive in the future:
    Which makes a lot more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Man-At-Arms is alive and well in everyone else's canon except Toyguru's.
    This!
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Heroic Warrior
    Did I miss something?? When did Man-At_Arms die???

Don't see the need to kill him off or how it moves the bio story forward so yeah I'll support this.

DUNCAN LIVES!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Scott lies:

Quote Originally Posted by oicemano View Post
    duncan lives!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I know where Scott got the idea to kill off MAA - it was from his namesake character and "man-at-arms' of House Atreides, Duncan Idaho, from Dune! In those books, Duncan was killed off, but resurrected as a "ghola", a type of clone, through the rest of the Dune books, playing important supporting roles in each. I would bet that if the line persists, we will see a rebirth of MAA as a ghola of some sort, using the power of Grayskull or something. There's your toy justification, folks!

Heroic Warrior
    Well in that case, who can argue with that. Since TG has never said anything that wasn't true, or that didn't come out to be the case.

Seriously, though, I think this whole thread is kind of amusing - who the heck cares? Sloppily written pithy bits on a cardback.

You guys give him way too much creedence. TG didn't invent MOTU, and it will still exist long after he is not a part of it. His arbitrary decision to write something on the back of a piece of garbage (although we may feel differently, packaging is meant to be thrown away, which is why it's fragile paperstock), has little relevance to, well, anything.

You can't save him, he's already dead.

Death is a reality of war, period. ThIS is "The Ultimate Battle Ground" were talking about. Call it lazy writing as some have put it, whatever you want. Its reality, its drama, its interesting. While it would be great for everyone to be able to just get along and live in a gum drop world, full of cotton candy clouds on lolli-pop lane, thats just boring. Even I as a child acting out scenarios, not all the characters would make it back from some battles. Stratos usually got shot out of the sky, because some jack tard would forget to guard the Battle Ram and a minion would launch a nice big red missle at him and POW!!! A big bloody, feathery mess would come crashing to the floor!! But the best part, toys don't really die and neither do fictional characters so I could easily resurrect them and have many, many more adventures. The more characters they create and produce the more can be killed off one by one, hello!! This line could go FOREVER!!!
    If you don't want Duncan dead don't read the Bios, simple as that.. Make up your own adventures for sure!! If Duncans death bothers you, I think you would hate my story line...

I say eventualy kill off EVERYONE except Skeletor. I mean literly everyone too, and make the battles intense and epic. Let the sides sway back and forth, not knowing which side will gain leverage. He-man, Hordak, King Hisss, Skeletors own henchman, EVERYONE DIES!! Even Stonedar and Rokkon come down from space to try and intervine only to be destroyed!! Vykron comes back after being rebuilt into Rotar and is spun out of commission!! With Skeletor gaining the ultimate power and destroying EVERYTHING, even the fabric of time itself!!!! Not even Spector can stop this from happening!!! Then at the end of this "Ultimate Battle Ground" Skeletor can stand over everything, still and quite. Slowly realizing, the entire universe is simply void of everything except his now ultimate life force, as he looks down, his very hands holding the ultimate power of the universe. He has everything and nothing at the same time. Making the Ultimate power of the universe ultimately pointless.

So yeah, Duncan has got to go!! It only a natural progression of whats to come!!

Roast Gooble Dinner #84, Toyguru says He-Ro: Son of He-Man is scheduled somewhere in the line.
    Do you have a timestamp for that? I've listened to the episode twice now and the only reference to Dare that I heard Scott give was a bunch of hypothetical spit-balling about what could happen eventually and definitely no confirmation that it was scheduled. "We've actually got this all thought out," wasn't a confirmation of Dare, just yet another reiteration that they've got a plan for the overall line.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Best way to approach this
    It has not been ended SCB
    XD

good idea

I agree
    Thank you.

have you seen Toy story?

HAVE YOU SEEN TOY STORY??

++
    Quote Originally Posted by optimusofgrayskull View Post
    man-at-arms is alive and his name is clamp champ
    so..was he trained by dekker?

Thanks master jokubas

Wow... Thanks master
    Last edited by MARKTRON; May 18, 2012 at 04:06pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out marktron's MOTU CUTSOMS photos and profile! http://fearlessphotog.deviantart.com/

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    You can't save him, he's already dead.
    All I see are dead people...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Sigh dead or not, we have great figures of him and just like the comics, he could always come back from the dead and if doesnt, pretend he does lol

And isnt there already a "save MMA" topic somewhere.

There is never going to be a "complete" cannon everyone is happy with, so just enjoy it or dont, the figures are more important then some blurb on the back of something most of us toss in the trash
    the ignore list is my new best friend

He's just resting...