Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Horde Prime Video Review by Pixel Dan

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    The only complaint is that if everyone is the same size, why isn't he?
    My guess is the height difference is because of the Trap-Jaw knees. The Trap-Jaw knee is taller than the regular knee. It's kind of like how King Grayskull is taller because his boots have the thicker fluffy stuff at the top. Excuse my terminology.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I know that I'm probably just complaining for no reason, but I actually dislike the fact that he's taller. This is completely contradictory to the aesthetic that MOTUC has established for all of its standard figures and it also contradicts Toy Guru's continued defense of said aesthetic. And I personally love that ides, because it is referential to the 80's line.
    That being said, the character design looks absolutely amazing. They really knocked it out of the park. I just wish he was the same size as the other dudes.

The very first figure in the line (King Grayskull) was purposefully made taller than the rest, so I think there's precedence!

You're complaints come down to the assembly of different parts and how they end up fitting.

Chief Carnivus is taller than He-Man. King Hsss towers over Kobra Khan. Beast Man is shorter than everyone.

I agree with you that it's the parts that make him taller but he is unintentionally more imposing than other figures. I think it adds to his aura and I love it. I just really wish some other guys had been so lucky. I really liked beastman being monstrous when I bought him in the 200X line and wished he'd been so this time around.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Yeah. I guess you guys are right. I totally forgot about Grayskull being a bit taller.
    And yeah, it probably is a combo of parts that randomly leads to the size discrepancy.
    I really do dig the figure.

Scale wise, they're still all relative in size.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Great Review Dan! Figure looks awesome. If it wasn't for the Griffin and Beast man in June I'd be on board. Maybe when the CS goes on sale

I was going to skip this one, but after this review, I'm sold.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    I have to admit, that in some ways I'm even more excited for Horde Prime than I was the Sorceress and Shadow Weaver (though I was over the moon at receiving my favorite MOTU and POP characters respectively)! My only problems will be whether or not to display him with his helmet on, and how to arrange my Horde shelf once he's on it!
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

i'm sure we're going to see his shoulders/arms on NA/Laser Light Skeletor!

and i also hope his crossbow comes as a gold repaint for Hurricane Hordak.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Good review as always.

Here are my thoughts on the figure: When I watched it, I realized how important the head sculpt is to a figure. I really can't make a judgement on him until I see head. I did like the attachable crossbow. I'm hoping that in the next weapons pack we get it in Hurricane Hordak's colors of dark red.

The only real complain I have is the second head. I get that was Horde Prime in the UK Magazine, but they could have done something better. The head doesn't fit in with the figure. That orange helmet just throws everything off. If anything, they should have painted the helmet red or black.

Still, I have a sub so I'll be enjoying him soon.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I think a red repaint crossbow for HH would be better!

So glad to get so many Hordesmen. Now my horde shelf will look like a horde soon!
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    ...If anything, they should have painted the [UK head's] helmet red or black...
    Agreed, totally! I love that the UK head was included, but I don't understand why they would paint the helmet orange (beyond the fact that it's how it appeared in the comics) when the rest of the sculpt is done in black and red. (Then again, I also don't understand why TMS has bright yellow and bronze mixed in with his purple, silver, and green color scheme.)
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Thanks Dan

For me is fine, I think is compatible with my 200x style and have not to make my own custom HP.

Have you seen the extremely persistence to BUY, SHOW and WHATEVER with the m. spectorabout mattel???

MATTEL LISTEN!! WE HATE SPECTOR!!!

But is a nice joke to see spector as HP

And ta-daa-aa the secret face...

mustache hordak (big brother) XD

secretface.jpg
    Check out marktron's MOTU CUTSOMS photos and profile! http://fearlessphotog.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MARKTRON View Post

MATTEL LISTEN!! WE HATE SPECTOR!!!

Sigh, really?

Funny how he sold out in 1 day
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Another nice review Dan! I have to admit that as a She-Ra fan, though...I won't be picking this figure up. They certainly tried to make him look cool and detailed, but there's something a bit too fussy about him. The figure lacks a clear unique vision. They clearly wanted to try and please everyone by giving him the UK head, and keeping him red and black (MOTU Horde style) and then giving him traditional "main boss" flourishes like the cape with the bat logo, and the gown portion. It's a great effort, but a pass for me.

Not that I would have likely bought a Prime figure at all. He was never much of character to begin with...

Another underrated figure to look forward to! Not much of a fan of the UK head but that's the only critique i have of HP.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

neat review dan ...

but this is another one i definitely will not be buying; the figure and character itself do nothing for me, i think the helmet design is real ugly too ... just not feeling this figure at all ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Harsh. Why do you think he's awful? Is it just that you don't like the character Horde Prime or something specific about the figure?
    His design basically makes him a concept character (apart from the UK comic head, which I hate! lol) This isn't a POP or Filmation character since he looks nothing like he did in any POP media. Its like saying Snake Man-At-Arms is a Filmation character since Man-At-Arms appeared in the Filmation cartoon! I hate concept/new characters. To me they are a wasted slot.

Horde Prime actually has a LOT of new tooling
    Cool. But still dumb to remove the head as it kinda makes reviewing it redundant when its missing the piece that defines the character the most! Now removing an accessory is ok as it takes nothing away from the look of the figure. But the head, not so much.

Are you not looking forward to Mosquitor or Frosta?
    Not a fan of Mosquitor. I'd never heard of him until I logged on to He-Man.org in 2000 for the first time. I have no nostalgic connection to him, so nope not interested. Frosta's face was unforgivable and I was embarrassed for the 4H that she was shown The face sculpt and paint apps were shocking to put it politely. Maybe they will fix her? Who knows... but the reveal kinda dampened my excitement for her. Spikor is really cool and so is Mekaneck

I'm also still unhappy about Shadow Weaver being the sub exclusive (even though I'm a sub holder), but I think I would have been angrier if Horde Prime was the sub exclusive. He's very versatile, has so much tooling and a bunch of people want to buy extras so they can customize a UK Horde Prime. If he was the sub exclusive, that would not have been possible. So...I'm glad he's not the sub exclusive, but it still sucks Shadow Weaver was.
    I doubt Horde Prime would have sold for stupid prices on eBay, had he been the sub exclusive. I think he will take as long as Slush Head, if not longer to sell out.

This year its kinda been one kick after the other with the characters I'd like. The line just has no balance and there are too many concept characters that I have zero nostagia for. Hopefully in 2013 there will be a Filmation sub line like everyone is hoping for.
    Last edited by blackiecats; May 20, 2012 at 07:43pm.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Sigh, really?

Funny how he sold out in 1 day
    I don't think that is indicative of 'demand' since a lot of people got stuck with it through the sub. Who knows how many actually went on sale or if it was pulled prematurely only to be sold again in a future sale.

The point is that saying that 'people liked it because it sold fast' is just as ill informed as saying that it was prematurely 'pulled'. Nobody but Mattel knows the facts.
    Last edited by kup; May 21, 2012 at 12:39am.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    His design basically makes him a concept character (apart from the UK comic head, which I hate! lol) This isn't a POP or Filmation character since he looks nothing like he did in any POP media. Its like saying Snake Man-At-Arms is a Filmation character since Man-At-Arms appeared in the Filmation cartoon! I hate concept/new characters. To me they are a wasted slot.
    I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one! I consider him Filmation because of the helmet piece and his gloves based on show designs (the 4H took some liberties on the helmet, though). Now, if they make a Light Hope figure on a male buck and not just a rainbow background and pool...I would agree there, because we have never seen him in a physical form before.

Cool. But still dumb to remove the head as it kinda makes reviewing it redundant when its missing the piece that defines the character the most! Now removing an accessory is ok as it takes nothing away from the look of the figure. But the head, not so much.
    I do agree it was dumb. It's like how they removed Megator and Man-E-Face's second heads. If people saw those heads in reviews from PixelDan, TheFwoosh, AFI, MTVGeek, etc...they may have sold more units (or faster, at least). I feel it's the same with "secret accessories" too. I mean, Keldor's swords, for example. They're coming (we don't know with whom), but someone might want multiples of them for some reason. If they know ahead of time, they know to buy multiples of that specific figure, which gives Mattel more sales. If they find out in a week or so (when people's figures arrive), eBay or another company get that money...and if a figure lasted 5+ days for sale, Mattel will think it was a loser or something...when it could have sold quicker.

Not a fan of Mosquitor. I'd never heard of him until I logged on to He-Man.org in 2000 for the first time. I have no nostalgic connection to him, so nope not interested.
    I didn't have him as a child. I think I got him in 2005 or so. I'm a sucker for his working blood feature. I love it. lol

Frosta's face was unforgivable and I was embarrassed for the 4H that she was shown The face sculpt and paint apps were shocking to put it politely. Maybe they will fix her? Who knows... but the reveal kinda dampened my excitement for her.
    I agree. I was kind of...devastated when I saw her face. I AM excited for her and I think the rest of her looks great, but I hope her face looks a LOT nicer next time we see her. If not, I'll have to swap it out for an Adora head or something.

Spikor is really cool and so is Mekaneck
    I'm glad there are some figures you're looking forward to still.

I doubt Horde Prime would have sold for stupid prices on eBay, had he been the sub exclusive. I think he will take as long as Slush Head, if not longer to sell out.
    Maybe. I just hope I can get the extra 1 or 2 (and can afford them when the time comes lol).

This year its kinda been one kick after the other with the characters I'd like. The line just has no balance and there are too many concept characters that I have zero nostagia for. Hopefully in 2013 there will be a Filmation sub line like everyone is hoping for.
    A Filmation sub would be pretty cool, because I am worried if that doesn't happen Filmation characters might take over the line or Mattel will waste the potential they have with this license and we will get very FEW characters. A mini-sub would take care of all my fears and would be great because people can take it or leave it (like the 30th sub). I would take it.

Thank you for replying with your thoughts.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    disappointed the UK head color doesn't match.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Great review as always, and thanks to Pixel Dan, I have a new head for Spector. I like the reuse idea of the UK Horde Prime head on Spector's body, which gives me a new addition to Skeletor's Evil Warriors.

Is there any chance we could see Horde Primes UK head on Spector's body!?