Thread: Fan Character Redesign Challenge #2 - INKSHOT

Fan Character Redesign Challenge #2 - INKSHOT

I see no reason why the voting for round 1 and the start of round 2 can't be done at the same time, so...

WELCOME TO THE SECOND "FAN CHARACTER REDESIGN CHALLENGE"

(don't let the picture or title fool you, we will be doing other fan's characters and not just mine)

Challenge #2 is a fan favorite character created by the ex-org member known as Doompuppet....

"INKSHOT"

Now for the boring part...

- THE RULES -

- You MUST make a unique change to the original appearance of the character in some way. This is a redesign challenge after all!

- All artists who choose to participate will have 1 month to come up with a redesign for this character.

-Anything is welcome: traditional art, digital art, sketches, paintings, 3-D models or even a custom action figure.

-Redesign as much or as little you see fit, just as long as you make some changes.

-If you can't think of a new design, or just hate the idea of working on this character,
    you do not have to feel obligated to participate in this particular challenge.
    You will still be free to participate in any future challenges you wish.

*SUBMISSION MUST BE BEFORE APRIL4th"

Don't forget to post suggestions for who we should do next (provided there is a next time)

Well that is it, have fun and lets see those entries
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 15, 2014 at 08:51am.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Inkshot seems so ready and valid character that there's not so much to do. But because it's re-design challenge, I bent him (or her) to very different look. Colors of inkshot are so unique amongst the Masters that I kept them. But because I think that fauna of Eternia and Etheria are different than in Earth, this monster looks more like eternian squid-monster from Vengeance of skeletor than giant squid or street shark character.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Quote Originally Posted by Monikasvo View Post
    Inkshot seems so ready and valid character that there's not so much to do.
    True, but then the same could be said about the official characters in the regular redesign challenge

Nice redesign as well

to give myself more time to think of something for this challenge I have added an extra week to the deadline, so now we all have to the 4th. So come on, lets see those entries.

Mine is just about done. Then I just have to decide on colors...

Check out my DA gallery: http://isterold.deviantart.com/

…redesign….

Monster characters areīt my strongest suit and so i thought would am i good at….? Female characters. So why not change Inkshot into a female character itīs redesign and i can do what ever i want:

INKSHOT Niki style

I chose to stick with the first picture, itīs more simply and i liked the shoulder with the horde emblem. So i kept that.

But the the character was missing something, there was no ink anywhere so i changed the tentacles which were to much like Octavia for my taste anyway and changed them into two ink tube canons.

The skirt and the armor is basically original and thatīs were i got my idea the characters was wearing a skirt anyway

Inkshot hands are a bit strange but i decided to make them clearly into transformed tentacles as well and the little flippers on the head are repeating themselves at the feet between her toes.

I really enjoyed that character and it was fun redesigning him…well…her
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Woowoowoowoowoowoowoo! *scuttles around the room like a crustacean*

Sorry, tentacle mouth reminded me of Dr. Zoidberg.

Ehhh, I'm in a weird mood tonight.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

a female Inkshot? I like it.

Pretty sure this is the first time I have seen someone use a redesign challenge to Rule 63 a character - "For any given male character, there is a female version of that character."

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    …redesign….

Monster characters areīt my strongest suit and so i thought would am i good at….? Female characters. So why not change Inkshot into a female character itīs redesign and i can do what ever i want:

INKSHOT Niki style

http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/niki/im...en/Inkshot.jpg

I chose to stick with the first picture, itīs more simply and i liked the shoulder with the horde emblem. So i kept that.

But the the character was missing something, there was no ink anywhere so i changed the tentacles which were to much like Octavia for my taste anyway and changed them into two ink tube canons.

The skirt and the armor is basically original and thatīs were i got my idea the characters was wearing a skirt anyway

Inkshot hands are a bit strange but i decided to make them clearly into transformed tentacles as well and the little flippers on the head are repeating themselves at the feet between her toes.

I really enjoyed that character and it was fun redesigning him…well…her
    I'm really digging your design, Niki. I would never have thought of a gender swap and I did something similar with the tentacles shooting the ink. I'll have to finish throwing some color on mine so I can get it up here too.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

I went the "optik" route, having the character be basically the head, and having several tentacles inside, controlling each of the robotic limbs. I thought it was an interesting idea, and also having a "voicebox' on the front of the chest (ala mekenek) so it breaths because maybe the suit is filled with water? I dont konw. but i like how it turned out. what do you guys think!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    a female Inkshot? I like it.

Pretty sure this is the first time I have seen someone use a redesign challenge to Rule 63 a character - "For any given male character, there is a female version of that character."
    Is that an actual Rule?

I simply thought it would fit since the Horde has a lot of female characters and his original outfit with it skirt looked a bit female-ish for me.

But thanks i like her as well! Are you going to enter in this challenge or are you leaving that one out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihvthpwr View Post
    I'm really digging your design, Niki. I would never have thought of a gender swap and I did something similar with the tentacles shooting the ink. I'll have to finish throwing some color on mine so I can get it up here too.
    The ink shooting tentacles are so natural for me i was wondering why no one else did that before

Iīm looking forward to your picture!

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...222656_919.jpg

I went the "optik" route, having the character be basically the head, and having several tentacles inside, controlling each of the robotic limbs. I thought it was an interesting idea, and also having a "voicebox' on the front of the chest (ala mekenek) so it breaths because maybe the suit is filled with water? I dont konw. but i like how it turned out. what do you guys think!
    Thatīs a nice idea and makes him more animal than human, i like intelligent animals! The suit reminds a bit of Hellboy as well… i canīt remember this characters name who is made out of gas and needs his suit to communicate with the others…

Itīs a great and very different take, i really like it!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Is that an actual Rule?

I simply thought it would fit since the Horde has a lot of female characters and his original outfit with it skirt looked a bit female-ish for me.

But thanks i like her as well! Are you going to enter in this challenge or are you leaving that one out?
    Yes it is one of the infamous rules of the internet, rule #63 to be precise (#63.2 is "For every female character there is a male version. No Exceptions.")

Seeing as this is my challenge I guess I should enter, it seems only right. So yes I will be posting an entry at some point before the deadline (which being the host I can push back to whenever I want if I so wish...YAY FOR CONTROL)

Heroic Warrior
    @Niki

nice redesign of Ink-Ra ähh i mean Inkshot

Looks good, Tech. I like how the tentacles slip out the palm ala Omega Red. And I'm glad I'm not the only one to move away from the giant mace. I just wish I would have thought of a spear instead of a lance...

I should have some color on mine today or tomorrow then onto the DoE contest!

Liking this version, would love to see it finished.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Looks good, Tech. I like how the tentacles slip out the palm ala Omega Red. And I'm glad I'm not the only one to move away from the giant mace. I just wish I would have thought of a spear instead of a lance...

I should have some color on mine today or tomorrow then onto the DoE contest!
    thanks, yeah, I was thinking about having the tentacles just be controlling stuff from the inside, kraang style, but who knows, if there are more than just four, why not have a few longer ones that can come out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    Liking this version, would love to see it finished.
    thanks man. Sucks i never get around to finishing my visions. lol. I am more of the "vision" guy, not the "finished product" guy. maybe i can add some inks to it, no pun intended.

Cool idea TechTrek!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Cool idea TechTrek!!
    thank Andrew! you know, I am going to see if I am finally going to finish one of these sketches! you have seen most of my work and know that this is about as "complete" as my work comes! lol.

Here's my Squidward... errr I mean Inkshot, lol.

So since Squid can change color for both camo and mood I made him red to signify aggression.
    I took the blades off the forearms and added jet propulsion boosters that can rotate about and also added additional boosters to his sides.
    I added the long attack tentacles and made retractable blades in the tips(1 set is retracted, 1 set is out)
    I made each of the other 4 tentacles able to blast out his ink.
    I also changed his wep from a mace cause I thought that might be tough to swing underwater and made it a lance, although after a co-worker mentioned it looks like an umbrella I wished I had given him a spear instead...
    OH and I took the tentacles off his face cause that was a little too Cthuhlu for me. I gave him a squid beak instead.

inkshot color.jpg
    Last edited by Ihvthpwr; March 20, 2014 at 04:23pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    Ok here is my first ever entry, I kept armor but body changed as well as his left arm. He has a tail like appendage which helps him swim faster and while in a struggle to sea who was in power of certain ocean areas. Might Bite bit off his hand.20140330_155745_3.jpg

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Here's my Squidward... errr I mean Inkshot, lol.

So since Squid can change color for both camo and mood I made him red to signify aggression.
    I took the blades off the forearms and added jet propulsion boosters that can rotate about and also added additional boosters to his sides.
    I added the long attack tentacles and made retractable blades in the tips(1 set is retracted, 1 set is out)
    I made each of the other 4 tentacles able to blast out his ink.
    I also changed his wep from a mace cause I thought that might be tough to swing underwater and made it a lance, although after a co-worker mentioned it looks like an umbrella I wished I had given him a spear instead...
    OH and I took the tentacles off his face cause that was a little too Cthuhlu for me. I gave him a squid beak instead.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...0&d=1395338413

inkshot color.jpg
    This is awesome!
    Official Help A Fan Cyber Monday Thread

This could be the last massive sale in MOTUC, and our last chance to help fellow fans who have been onboard with this line, and are struggling to complete their collections. Give new and old fans a chance to get what they want! Be a Cyber Monday Santa, and click above! Also, if you can grab me a Light Hope, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    This is awesome!
    Thank you!

great job everyone, man, i just might have to ink my sketch up, but who knows, maybe Gygbok will sneak in and blow this one out of the water! I love drawing contests!

I decided to be generous and extend this one last time until monday (14th) but don't expect me to be as generous with my extensions in any future challenges