Thread: How come Shadow Weaver didn't get an action figure but Spinnerella did?

Heroic Warrior

How come Shadow Weaver didn't get an action figure but Spinnerella did?

Yes I know Shadow Weaver has an action figure for the Classics collection (I can't afford the $100 for it). But how come when the series was on the air, Shadow Weaver who has appeared in numerous episodes gets no action figure but Spinnerella, who only appeared in what one episode gets an action figure?

Now I think about it, if they did make an action figure of her, then she would be as hard to find as the Sorceress from He-man.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    She was prettier than Shadow Weaver, used easy parts sharing, and was only in the cartoon to sell the toy.
    Last edited by Killian; May 22, 2012 at 06:58pm. Reason: Netossa
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Shadow Weaver was an original Filmation character and she never got an official figure released until now.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    yes, unfortunately, i believe it's always about the money... they figured they could produce Spinny and get more interest in her to sell than they could for Shadow Weaver... and at the time, they may have been correct... today, however, i think most people would rather have Shadow Weaver! (of course, i want both...)
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Court Magician
    You mean in the orgianl 80s series?

Isnt it obvious? what kind of girl woul have bought such a boring character?
    Same for OCTAVIA and SCORPIA.

Not girlie enough and the whole HORSE troup was not in the toy collection (CATRA does not count).

They proabaly would have had the series continued
    but the ones I always wanted were madame razz and broom as well as granita and the twiggets too.

In a perfect world it seems we get all the chars we want sadly real life isn' like that(peers over at the custom starchild on desk and sighs)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    They proabaly would have had the series continued
    but the ones I always wanted were madame razz and broom as well as granita and the twiggets too.

In a perfect world it seems we get all the chars we want sadly real life isn' like that(peers over at the custom starchild on desk and sighs)
    granita belongs, my thoughts, to the MASTERS, along with Rokko ectr.
    Its not a girl toy like the other i mentioned.

For me its always a problem when i imagine it to be comeplete cos we have two diff. she -ra storys...HORDAK beeing the lead nemesis and CATRA in the orginal girls story.

I prefer catra.

It's pretty hard to make Shadow Weaver fit into a line of dolls dubbed as "beautiful girls" with accessories like combs and brushes. The same with Madame Razz.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

If they had made a Shadow Weaver figure in the 80's she would have been the only She-Ra toy I owned. She was so cool in the toon and I always wanted her to go with my Hordak and He-Man figures. (I'm a guy so I didn't collect She-Ra back in the day- but watched the toon every day)

yeah the show was different but the toyline seemed to sell more than anything the 'pretty doll' aspect. Even Catra wasn't packaged as evil, she was just the 'jealous beauty' I think they expanded a bit later, but they always maintained doll over drama didn't they? (I'm going on what it LOOKED like as I didn't follow the toys much)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    ...but they always maintained doll over drama didn't they?
    this phrases EXACTLY what they did. nicely put!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar
    i have always thought the same thing. i always wanted a shadow weaver figure that would fit in with the rest of the princess of power figures so i ended up making one of my own. i reasise she dosent look like the filmation shadow weaver we all know & love but i thought this look would fit in better with the vintage toy line. if you are interested you can see what she looks like here http://nightwing1975.deviantart.com/...doll-120297180

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing. View Post
    i have always thought the same thing. i always wanted a shadow weaver figure that would fit in with the rest of the princess of power figures so i ended up making one of my own. i reasise she dosent look like the filmation shadow weaver we all know & love but i thought this look would fit in better with the vintage toy line. if you are interested you can see what she looks like here http://nightwing1975.deviantart.com/...doll-120297180
    That's my favorite of your customs (and the best looking SW custom I saw online), because she perfectly fits in the POP figures which is impossible to do with Filmation look of Shadow Weaver.
    Beautiful design of holographic accessories.

Heroic Warrior
    Catra didn't look like her filmation self either.

BTW cool Shadow Weaver nighwing.

In my opinion Shower Power Catra look is superior to Filmation or any other version of Catra. It would be awesome that they made figure of S.P.Catra in a cat form, as a magenta cat with black spots and silver mask and armor....

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing. View Post
    I SOOOO want that figure! Hello nightwing, I'm mykanmur on deviantart! I and many other fans refer to this SW custom all the time in Shadow Weavers Realm on facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

Shadow Weaver would more likely have appeared in the Masters line as "Hordak's Evil-Lyn", since she was not a "pretty girl". The same goes for Octavia and Scorpia - in fact, Octavia was being developed for the MOTU toy line before it ended - you can see the prototype sketches in the Power and Honor Foundation catalog. Unless you were a pretty girl, you were going to end up in MOTU.

With this being the case, two factors kept Shadow Weaver out of the toy lines:
    1) She was too "gruesome" for POP, and that toy line didn't really want to push the evil aspect too much - sugar and spice and every thing nice syndrome.
    2) Since she was originally a Filmation-created character, Mattel had to seek out the rights to make her. Shadow Weaver would have been released eventually, but the MOTU and POP lines ended before that could happen. Look how long it took for us to get the Sorceress, and she technically existed as a character BEFORE Filmation, but unfortunately not in the falcon/zoar motif.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

méchant étranger spatial RazzyKowl's Avatar
    I guess it was about money. Seeing as how most of the line swapped parts and pieces. But really how hard would it have been to make a cheap hooded head mold, throw together a maroon color dress and cape but put it on say a Frosta body. Or even making a hood of cloth and putting it on a bald, painted head? Maybe Weaver was just not appealing to little girls. I admit she was pretty scary and for sure wasn't pretty.

I would have loved to have seen a Scorpia though. I think she could have been made easily and cheaply! Same goes for Octavia.
    I got almost all the toys I want....almost.

In Memory of Dixie Cooney Martin

February 3, 1962-January 30, 2007

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jay20 View Post
    Isnt it obvious? what kind of girl woul have bought such a boring character?
    Same for OCTAVIA and SCORPIA.
    "boring"?? Shadow Weaver and Scorpia are anything but!

Quote Originally Posted by RazzyKowl View Post
    I would have loved to have seen a Scorpia though. I think she could have been made easily and cheaply! Same goes for Octavia.
    I know, those would have been such cool figures, *sigh*...
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Your average girl who Mattel marketed these figures towards back in the 80's wanted a nice female figure that had flowing hair to style and comb and that looked beautiful. Shadow Weaver would have appealed to more boys and more hardcore girls. Not a good market for Mattel to shoot for until now that they can charge $27 for one figure.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!