View Poll Results: Do you want a Shadow Weaver variant?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    103 50.99%
  • No

    99 49.01%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 136

Thread: Shadow Weaver variant (for people that can't afford subscription and second sellers)

  1. #26
    eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hobb's End
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    voted no, because I dont want to have to have another shadow weaver.
    Mind you how cool would it be if they did re-release her with a "Light Spinner" head. But nope, I dont want to have to have 2, and if they did another, I would.
    Have you read everything?
    Sincerely I'm happy for you but the title of thread is "Shadow Weaver variant (for people that can't afford subscription and second sellers)"
    and I said
    Please don't say no just because you are so lucky to already have Shadow Weaver!
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Sorry but I cannot have sympathy for anyone who doesnt have one, because that is entirely the reason I got a sub. And you can buy one on ebay. Had two chances to get one already, and decided not to. Not Mattel's fault. So we dont "need" another one.
    What about MONEY?
    There are people that can't afford the subscription and the second seller!

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    And she is readily available now for $65-75 on eBay, if you actually watch the sales.
    I watch Ebay every day and there are the stupid early bidders making the second sellers game... I saw a Shadow Weaver with the starting price of 99 cents that went to 86 bucks in just two hours, and they got 10 days to bid on it, crazy people on Ebay!
    Ok, it's 65 bucks (that I don't have) but you have to add the shipping to Europe... 100 bucks for a piece of plastic? I just don't have them, I just need a regular Shadow Weaver and I want to pay it 30 bucks as every prominent character.

    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    If Mattel released this 2.0 SW, what would be special about the sub exclusive SW, her spell book?
    Mattel can do everythin' to make a less special SW: different colors, less accessories, they can do everythin' to be loyal to people that can't afford a regular SW... they can even release it loose...

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Scott has said Light Spinner could be made but no Shadow Weaver.
    I can't say what I'm thinkin' of Scott, I'll be banned from every forum on earth.
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; May 24, 2012 at 09:18am.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

    Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

    Week 5, polls 17 vote for
    Colonel Blast

  2. #27
    Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    7,263
    You guys need to come to terms that Matty is not going to do another Shadow Weaver figure ever (For the classics line . That's the deal with sub exclusive figures.

    If there is a Horde Witch, they will look nothing like Shadow Weaver.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

  3. #28
    Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Green Glade
    Posts
    1,244
    I didn't sub as I only found out about this line at the beginning of this year, I had to pay $117 to get Shadow Weaver (OK, I didn't HAVE to). I say give those who can't afford a sub or don't want one a chance to own Shadow Weaver. Are people with a sub REALLY that 'offended' if people outside of the sub get a chance to own her? Really?
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

  4. #29
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    KG 2.0 is a lot different compared to his original than this Ladybird Shadow Weaver is.


    Along with the slight color difference of the figure itself, his cape is a completely different color with flocking and his sword is half translucent. Also, the original KG came with that collectible Grayskull packaging with lights and sound. Those differences, along with the packaging are enough to keep the original "special". If Mattel released this 2.0 SW, what would be special about the sub exclusive SW, her spell book?

    Also, SDCC KG was sold on Mattycollector like almost every other MOTUC con exclusive. So, he wasn't really as exclusive as sub exclusive Shadow Weaver is to begin with.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The original KG was just as easy or easier to obtain than Shadow Weaver was. All you had to do was log in to Mattycollector and buy him for $30(USA only). SW was just as easy to obtain, but you had to commit to a whole year worth of product. The only reason KG sells for more on the secondary market is because he's older and harder to find NOW and lots of fans weren't even aware that MOTUC existed in 2008.
    King Grayskull is still the same buck, the same armor, the same figure....a few extra accessories a different color and flocking don't make it that different. If that is the case I want a Filmation He-Man right now, because he would have a new head, the Tri-Klops left forearm and possibly a sword sheath, not to mention the color would be a little different, that is about as much of a difference the KG variant has.

    The thing that makes him more exclusive is the fact that he is so very hard to get at a good price, Shadow Weaver was made in a much higher volume and was sold to everyone who bought a sub, something that wasn't an option for the original KG, regardless of being sold on Matty or not, how many do you know that have a KG as opposed to how many have Shadow Weaver now. More people have the ability to buy Shadow Weaver right now granted some still want $100+ for her but she is much easier to obtain than KG is.

    And I didn't say that I thought she was a good idea as a variant, being too similar, but I also said that with minor changes, and no new sculpts at all, a KG variant was released with little more than new colors, and a different old package.

    I only see a Shadow Weaver variant, if she had the Shadow Weaver main buck, but different accessories and head where she could become Light Spinner as well, like a few have said, but a SW variant alone won't be enough to take a variant slot. Should she get one....possibly, but I think it should be "Light Spinner" that can change into Shadow Weaver....kill 2 birds...you already have the SW head after all, as well as parts of her body....they did it with Trap Jaw, Marlena, and now Vykron....they can do it again.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 24, 2012 at 12:46pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  5. #30
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    King Grayskull is still the same buck, the same armor, the same figure....a few extra accessories a different color and flocking don't make it that different. If that is the case I want a Filmation He-Man right now, because he would have a new head, the Tri-Klops left forearm and possibly a sword sheath, not to mention the color would be a little different, that is about as much of a difference the KG variant has.
    I didn't say KG was vastly different compared to the 2.0 version. I said that the differences between KG and KG 2.0 are much more than this proposed SW 2.0 would be compared to the original.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    The thing that makes him more exclusive is the fact that he is so very hard to get at a good price
    Yeah, that's the case NOW. It's been 4 years since his release, so obviously he is much harder to get a hold of now. Still, when he first went on sale, he was easily obtainable for $30. Even after he sold out on Matty, he was still easily obtainable on eBay for about $50-$60. As time went on, his price started to rise. That's just the way of collectibles.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Shadow Weaver was made in a much higher volume and was sold to everyone who bought a sub, something that wasn't an option for the original KG, regardless of being sold on Matty or not
    Regardless of production numbers, like I said, SDCC KG was just as easy or easier to obtain than Shadow Weaver was. KG was available to everyone in the USA. It couldn't be shipped internationally because of the electronics in the packaging. Either way, international fans could have gotten him on ebay for close to cost shortly after he was on sale.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    how many do you know that have a KG as opposed to how many have Shadow Weaver now. More people have the ability to buy Shadow Weaver right now granted some still want $100+ for her but she is much easier to obtain than KG is.
    Both of these issues are due to when each figure was released, not how exclusive each figure was. There are a lot more fans of MOTUC now than compared to when KG was released as the first figure in MOTUC.

    Give it time, KG was released 4 years ago. 4 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shadow Weaver fetch the same prices that KG does now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Are people with a sub REALLY that 'offended' if people outside of the sub get a chance to own her? Really?
    I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't be happy. I subscribe to MOTUC because I want every figure they release. From Sweet Bee and Celice to Quakke and Lodar, I want it all, that is why I subscribe.

    However, would it be fair to those fans who had no interest in half of the revealed figures, let alone subscribing and decided to bite the bullet and subscribe just for Shadow Weaver. Or what about those fans who payed a high price for SW on the secondary market believing that she would never be re-released. Would it be fair to them to say "Hey here's a SW for $22"?

    Also, the sub is crucial to the success of MOTUC. It wouldn't be smart of Mattel to re-release a sub exclusive character to everyone. All that would do is discourage people from subscribing. People on the fence about the subscription would just say "I'll wait till they re-release the sub figure and not worry about subscribing". That loses potential sub sales and hurts the line overall.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  6. #31
    eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hobb's End
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Or what about those fans who payed a high price for SW on the secondary market believing that she would never be re-released. Would it be fair to them to say "Hey here's a SW for $22"?
    If I had enuff money to buy a subscription or a SW in the secondary market I'll be happy for common people because as I said in the first comment:
    UNITED WE STANDS
    Divided we fall

    It's simply fairness, like taxes, if you have enuff money, a subscription is a damage like a 22$ figure is a damage for common people, that's all!
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; May 24, 2012 at 06:12pm.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

    Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

    Week 5, polls 17 vote for
    Colonel Blast

  7. #32
    TWIGGET ENTHUSIAST! Swifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield, CT USA
    Posts
    1,465
    I'm with most on here, if they did a Light Spinner figure I'd be stoked but I don't see another version being different enough to warrant a variant. I don't think a variant spot should be taken up so that everyone can get a figure that was supposed to be a subscription exclusive. There are plenty of "common" people who wanted her bad enough and saved up to get her on the secondary market. I put that word in quotations because I think it's pretty offensive to suggest that anyone who gets a subscription is "uncommon" or that money is not an issue for them (as has been done repeatedly here). I'm a working class individual and I, like many others here, work damn hard and sacrifice to be able to have a subscription.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hellbourne
    Posts
    463
    I voted yes, but it should come as a 4 pack with the star sister variants that are wanted and it should cost $88 before shipping. Then everyone would be happy.

  9. #34
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    I voted yes, but it should come as a 4 pack with the star sister variants that are wanted and it should cost $88 before shipping. Then everyone would be happy.
    everyone happywhen has that EVER happened.

  10. #35
    eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hobb's End
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I'm a working class individual and I, like many others here, work damn hard
    What do you deserve? RESPECT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I put that word in quotations because I think it's pretty offensive to suggest that anyone who gets a subscription is "uncommon" or that money is not an issue for them
    Please don't take these words in the wrong way! I tried to use "poor" people but someone said "if you can buy a 30$ figure you're not poor" and "I said please don't take these words literally".
    So, dear Swifty, can you help me? I just can't find the right adjective to distinguish between these two categories:
    A) People that have a work or enough savings to afford a subscription or a second seller
    B) People that have a work but can't afford a subscription or a second seller or jobless people, like me, that with little jobs earn from 6 to 80$ every month.
    I promise that I'll change all my posts.
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; May 25, 2012 at 05:48am.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

    Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

    Week 5, polls 17 vote for
    Colonel Blast

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    I didn't sub as I only found out about this line at the beginning of this year, I had to pay $117 to get Shadow Weaver (OK, I didn't HAVE to). I say give those who can't afford a sub or don't want one a chance to own Shadow Weaver. Are people with a sub REALLY that 'offended' if people outside of the sub get a chance to own her? Really?
    It's not about being "offended", it's that Mattel enticed us to buy a sub saying that it would be the only way, ever, to get that figure.

    Quite a few people may have not signed up for the sub if she had not been offered.

    So yeah, people would be upset and feel "duped" because we entered a contract with Mattel with certain terms, if those terms suddenly changed.

    Regardless, it's a moot point as it will not happen - TG has confirmed this, they do not reissue sub exclusives. They would shoot themselves in the foot for all future subs, because the exclusive is the big lure - if they break their word and reissue her, then people won't care about sub exclusives and further reduce the subscriber base that keeps this line alive.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    Have you read everything?
    What about MONEY?
    There are people that can't afford the subscription and the second seller!


    I watch Ebay every day and there are the stupid early bidders making the second sellers game... I saw a Shadow Weaver with the starting price of 99 cents that went to 86 bucks in just two hours, and they got 10 days to bid on it, crazy people on Ebay!
    Ok, it's 65 bucks (that I don't have) but you have to add the shipping to Europe... 100 bucks for a piece of plastic? I just don't have them, I just need a regular Shadow Weaver and I want to pay it 30 bucks as every prominent character.
    Well, there isn't much to be said. If you cannot afford her, you cannot afford her. As you say, she's just a hunk of plastic. If she means that much to you, save up and get her. The longer you wait, the more expensive she will get as the extras start to float away - instead of making threads asking for things that are not going to happen, start saving up and get her as soon as possible, or you will end up paying a lot more, or just have to do without her.

    As to eBay, you aren't watching that closely, because the numbers I quoted are from recent auctions. If she's not worth $60, then that's your decision - but expecting a company to go back on their word to the subscribers who keep this line afloat because you don't want to pay double for a figure is kind of selfish, IMO. You want thousands of subscribers to have their contract broken because you don't want to save up to buy the figure.

    If it helps, I know how you feel. I'm a huge Catwoman fan, and with the new film all kinds of neat figures/statues/etc. coming out, many at $100-250. That's out of my price range, so I have to pick and choose carefully what I end up getting. But I don't feel the toy/collectable companies "owe" me anything. They put out a product, I can choose to buy or not.

    I don't think very many people were "happy" she was the sub exclusive, but it is what it was - a decision we all had to make once the cards were laid out on the table. If you are waiting until now to try to get her, when we've known about the situation for almost a year now, there isn't a lot of blame to go around on this one.

  12. #37
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    It's not about being "offended", it's that Mattel enticed us to buy a sub saying that it would be the only way, ever, to get that figure.

    Quite a few people may have not signed up for the sub if she had not been offered.

    So yeah, people would be upset and feel "duped" because we entered a contract with Mattel with certain terms, if those terms suddenly changed.

    Regardless, it's a moot point as it will not happen - TG has confirmed this, they do not reissue sub exclusives. They would shoot themselves in the foot for all future subs, because the exclusive is the big lure - if they break their word and reissue her, then people won't care about sub exclusives and further reduce the subscriber base that keeps this line alive.



    Well, there isn't much to be said. If you cannot afford her, you cannot afford her. As you say, she's just a hunk of plastic. If she means that much to you, save up and get her. The longer you wait, the more expensive she will get as the extras start to float away - instead of making threads asking for things that are not going to happen, start saving up and get her as soon as possible, or you will end up paying a lot more, or just have to do without her.

    As to eBay, you aren't watching that closely, because the numbers I quoted are from recent auctions. If she's not worth $60, then that's your decision - but expecting a company to go back on their word to the subscribers who keep this line afloat because you don't want to pay double for a figure is kind of selfish, IMO. You want thousands of subscribers to have their contract broken because you don't want to save up to buy the figure.

    If it helps, I know how you feel. I'm a huge Catwoman fan, and with the new film all kinds of neat figures/statues/etc. coming out, many at $100-250. That's out of my price range, so I have to pick and choose carefully what I end up getting. But I don't feel the toy/collectable companies "owe" me anything. They put out a product, I can choose to buy or not.

    I don't think very many people were "happy" she was the sub exclusive, but it is what it was - a decision we all had to make once the cards were laid out on the table. If you are waiting until now to try to get her, when we've known about the situation for almost a year now, there isn't a lot of blame to go around on this one.
    There are Transformers re-issues I just can't afford like the $120 Encore Devastator, the $130+ MP Megatron, which due to crap ass toy laws will never see a US release....

    Some things just aren't worth the amount they are asked for, and each persons amount is different....some will sell their children for their plastic fix....I never will do this. Just as if the MOTUC line gets too expensive, I will resort to getting my last 5 (4 after Mek is out in Oct) and passing on the rest.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  13. #38
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,580
    Eventually the price will go down on her....everything is cyclical. She's hot right now.....5 years from now you'll find her at good will for $1. Look at all the star wars guys. When the first wave of the red card figures came out some of the varients were going for HUGE dollar amounts....now, half the time you can't give them away. I've seen them going for normal (today's) retail price at my local comic store.....and they're 17 years old.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    It's not about being "offended", it's that Mattel enticed us to buy a sub saying that it would be the only way, ever, to get that figure.

    Quite a few people may have not signed up for the sub if she had not been offered.

    So yeah, people would be upset and feel "duped" because we entered a contract with Mattel with certain terms, if those terms suddenly changed.

    Regardless, it's a moot point as it will not happen - TG has confirmed this, they do not reissue sub exclusives. They would shoot themselves in the foot for all future subs, because the exclusive is the big lure - if they break their word and reissue her, then people won't care about sub exclusives and further reduce the subscriber base that keeps this line alive.



    Well, there isn't much to be said. If you cannot afford her, you cannot afford her. As you say, she's just a hunk of plastic. If she means that much to you, save up and get her. The longer you wait, the more expensive she will get as the extras start to float away - instead of making threads asking for things that are not going to happen, start saving up and get her as soon as possible, or you will end up paying a lot more, or just have to do without her.

    As to eBay, you aren't watching that closely, because the numbers I quoted are from recent auctions. If she's not worth $60, then that's your decision - but expecting a company to go back on their word to the subscribers who keep this line afloat because you don't want to pay double for a figure is kind of selfish, IMO. You want thousands of subscribers to have their contract broken because you don't want to save up to buy the figure.

    If it helps, I know how you feel. I'm a huge Catwoman fan, and with the new film all kinds of neat figures/statues/etc. coming out, many at $100-250. That's out of my price range, so I have to pick and choose carefully what I end up getting. But I don't feel the toy/collectable companies "owe" me anything. They put out a product, I can choose to buy or not.

    I don't think very many people were "happy" she was the sub exclusive, but it is what it was - a decision we all had to make once the cards were laid out on the table. If you are waiting until now to try to get her, when we've known about the situation for almost a year now, there isn't a lot of blame to go around on this one.
    To his credit though, when it comes to Catwoman there will also be several AFFORDABLE options like the Movie Master version for $15- that's a far cry from $50-$100+ for a character non subscribers would have to pay as there is only ONE version. I get your point though EC but I also understand that it wouldn't be the first time that things get cheaper later that people paid more for first (early adopters in the video game console market for example).

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Sky Breaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,117
    It would be nice that everyone who wants a little piece of plastic, or a transforming robot could get one at a reasonable price. However toys are commodities and as it is right now, there looks like there will be no reissue or variant Shadoweavers for anyone, and not much support to be had here.

    Those who have her are keeping her, and those who are selling her will want top dollar. Just wait a few years, and get her with their is no value placed on it.

    Every time I watch one of Scotts videos where he is showing off a new toy "look at this shiny box", I feel more and more ridiculous and stupid that I even like collecting toys. Is it just me?

  16. #41
    Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    827
    Not having SW is nothing to do with being lucky. Get the sub or miss out. No luck involved.
    We don't need no education...

    Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior DroothR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    258
    Not an affordable option for many.

    What about people that are collecting PoP characters only? Not fair for them.

    Me, I bought a sub to get SW, and even so, if she was made available to all later on, I wouldn't "feel duped" at all.

    In fact, I'd welcome it, as then I could open the one I do have, and know that I could always buy another if the one I had ended up being defective.

    But back on topic, if Mattel can do a variant SW down the road, I honestly think the majority of fans would benefit.
    My #1 most wanted figure in MotUC?
    - "Cloak & Dagger" Evil-Lyn (MYP) -

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    It would be nice that everyone who wants a little piece of plastic, or a transforming robot could get one at a reasonable price. However toys are commodities and as it is right now, there looks like there will be no reissue or variant Shadoweavers for anyone, and not much support to be had here.

    Those who have her are keeping her, and those who are selling her will want top dollar. Just wait a few years, and get her with their is no value placed on it.

    Every time I watch one of Scotts videos where he is showing off a new toy "look at this shiny box", I feel more and more ridiculous and stupid that I even like collecting toys. Is it just me?
    Sometimes I feel that way until i think about things in the following sense- if we weren't adults that are toy enthusiasts and passionate about MOTU we would still be "collecting" something with our "adult money". Some adults like to drink, some smoke, some collect cars, some are nature enthusiasts and hunt etc. Adults still have things they "Waste" their money on that are just as much a luxury as toys.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DroothR View Post
    Not an affordable option for many.

    What about people that are collecting PoP characters only? Not fair for them.

    Me, I bought a sub to get SW, and even so, if she was made available to all later on, I wouldn't "feel duped" at all.

    In fact, I'd welcome it, as then I could open the one I do have, and know that I could always buy another if the one I had ended up being defective.

    But back on topic, if Mattel can do a variant SW down the road, I honestly think the majority of fans would benefit.
    EXACTLY! There is also the fact that some of us would like to have a Light Spinner figure and in order to buy a second Shadow Weaver I'd have to shell out close to $100 bucks and if I make ONE MISTAKE...down the drain- so yeah.

  19. #44
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I didn't say KG was vastly different compared to the 2.0 version. I said that the differences between KG and KG 2.0 are much more than this proposed SW 2.0 would be compared to the original.

    Yeah, that's the case NOW. It's been 4 years since his release, so obviously he is much harder to get a hold of now. Still, when he first went on sale, he was easily obtainable for $30. Even after he sold out on Matty, he was still easily obtainable on eBay for about $50-$60. As time went on, his price started to rise. That's just the way of collectibles.

    Regardless of production numbers, like I said, SDCC KG was just as easy or easier to obtain than Shadow Weaver was. KG was available to everyone in the USA. It couldn't be shipped internationally because of the electronics in the packaging. Either way, international fans could have gotten him on ebay for close to cost shortly after he was on sale.

    Both of these issues are due to when each figure was released, not how exclusive each figure was. There are a lot more fans of MOTUC now than compared to when KG was released as the first figure in MOTUC.

    Give it time, KG was released 4 years ago. 4 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shadow Weaver fetch the same prices that KG does now.

    I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't be happy. I subscribe to MOTUC because I want every figure they release. From Sweet Bee and Celice to Quakke and Lodar, I want it all, that is why I subscribe.

    However, would it be fair to those fans who had no interest in half of the revealed figures, let alone subscribing and decided to bite the bullet and subscribe just for Shadow Weaver. Or what about those fans who payed a high price for SW on the secondary market believing that she would never be re-released. Would it be fair to them to say "Hey here's a SW for $22"?

    Also, the sub is crucial to the success of MOTUC. It wouldn't be smart of Mattel to re-release a sub exclusive character to everyone. All that would do is discourage people from subscribing. People on the fence about the subscription would just say "I'll wait till they re-release the sub figure and not worry about subscribing". That loses potential sub sales and hurts the line overall.

    Thing of it is, and point of the whole thread here, is many people can't afford her for what she is going for....and easy to obtain or not, is really not the point at all....collectibles or not. Easily to obtain or not, Shadow Weavers numbers are much higher than KG's were, and yet she still demands a high price, more so because she's more an exclusive, not everyone who bought a sub, bought it for her, and were happy to sell her, but the prices were really high, and still are for one figure.

    I don't care if the KG was just as available then as Shadow Weaver is today, point is there were less KG to hike up the demand in the years since....he got a variant....Will Shadow Weaver?

    I get Shadow Weaver was a sub exclusive, and I do agree there should be a sort of variant / new character, even if she is made with including parts with a Light Spinner, like Trap Jaw / Kronis or Marlena / Glenn, yet be a different color, and a different mold, and not be sold as Shadow Weaver, just able to make a lesser SW with swapping parts, just so the fans could say, hey I have a Shadow Weaver, even if she is made by swapping parts by taking Light Spinner and making her.

    Fans wouldn't be getting a $22 Shadow Weaver, they'd be getting a different color, different mold, differently detailed Light Spinner with a Shadow Weaver head, a Horde belt, and possibly swappable hands or arms or something. Let "Shadow Weaver" stay the ultimate version, Light Spinner is Light Spinner, even with swapped parts, she will never be considered Shadow Weaver....even Trap Jaw is Trap Jaw, regardless if you make him Kronis or not, you didn't buy Kronis....you bought Trap Jaw.

    I'll be honest here, I was given a Shadow Weaver for selling a friends extra one....I didn't really want her at first but she grew on me....I totally get the point of the sub exclusive, and I believe others do as well, and the point is there should be another option even if it's later down the road for a SW variant of some kind, even if it's Light Spinner with extra parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Sometimes I feel that way until i think about things in the following sense- if we weren't adults that are toy enthusiasts and passionate about MOTU we would still be "collecting" something with our "adult money". Some adults like to drink, some smoke, some collect cars, some are nature enthusiasts and hunt etc. Adults still have things they "Waste" their money on that are just as much a luxury as toys.
    Yeah, and how much do people waste on a pack of Cigarettes, let alone a whole carton? And How many spend all their money on Beer and Hard Liquor....that is wasted money, once you drink it or smoke it, you don't get anything out of it, except maybe a trip to the Hospital someday where you spend even more money....once those things are gone, they're gone, only thing you can do is waste more money and buy more. At least these toys you can pop on a shelf and look at every day until you....

    A) Get tired of them, and sell them to move on
    B) Grow too old to care and leave them to someone else

    The other things, Alcohol, Smokes and many other one time use Adult things....are gone when they're gone. Then what, us toy collectors are the ones who need to grow up? really? Granted when they get to be too expensive maybe it is time to re-evaluate things and move one....I know I will....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 29, 2012 at 12:04am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  20. #45
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,580
    I honestly thought that Light Spinner would be a Shadow Weaver varient with or without a Horde belt or extra head since they're the same character essentially. I consider Keldor a Skeletor varient honestly. I wouldn't have a problem buying two of her and customizing a bit....could be fun.

  21. #46
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't care if the KG was just as available then as Shadow Weaver is today, point is there were less KG to hike up the demand in the years since....he got a variant....Will Shadow Weaver?
    If they can find a way to make her variant significantly different then perhaps she will get a variant. If not, then she most likely will not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I get Shadow Weaver was a sub exclusive, and I do agree there should be a sort of variant / new character, even if she is made with including parts with a Light Spinner, like Trap Jaw / Kronis or Marlena / Glenn, yet be a different color, and a different mold, and not be sold as Shadow Weaver, just able to make a lesser SW with swapping parts, just so the fans could say, hey I have a Shadow Weaver, even if she is made by swapping parts by taking Light Spinner and making her.
    So, fans get a Shadow Weaver?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Fans wouldn't be getting a $22 Shadow Weaver, they'd be getting a different color, different mold, differently detailed Light Spinner with a Shadow Weaver head, a Horde belt, and possibly swappable hands or arms or something. Let "Shadow Weaver" stay the ultimate version, Light Spinner is Light Spinner, even with swapped parts, she will never be considered Shadow Weaver....even Trap Jaw is Trap Jaw, regardless if you make him Kronis or not, you didn't buy Kronis....you bought Trap Jaw.
    So, fans don't get a Shadow Weaver?

    Which is it?

    The Kronis that could be made from Trap Jaw WAS Kronis. If a Light Spinner variant was made that included the pieces to make a Shadow Weaver, the pieces would need to create a very different looking Shadow Weaver, which would defeat the purpose for the people wanting a true Shadow Weaver. If it were just a slight color difference like the proposed "Ladybird" version then I highly doubt Mattel would do it.
    Last edited by dedset13; May 29, 2012 at 05:17am.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  22. #47
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

    So, fans get a Shadow Weaver?

    - - - Updated - - -



    So, fans don't get a Shadow Weaver?

    Which is it?

    The Kronis that could be made from Trap Jaw WAS Kronis. If a Light Spinner variant was made that included the pieces to make a Shadow Weaver, the pieces would need to create a very different looking Shadow Weaver, which would defeat the purpose for the people wanting a true Shadow Weaver. If it were just a slight color difference like the proposed "Ladybird" version then I highly doubt Mattel would do it.
    I said so fans can say they have a Shadow Weaver, but technically she wouldn't be Shadow Weaver because she'd be Light Spinner with new parts (break it down: you bought Light Spinner "officially" not Shadow Weaver).... If you go by the packaging, and officially Trap Jaw is who you bought, Kronis is a by product....Captain Glenn and Queen Marlena are officially sold as both....therefore Light Spinner would be the official release and Shadow Weaver a by product.... I don't care if you buy and display 20 Kronis and 1 Trap Jaw....you bought 21 Trap Jaws, Kronis was never, and probably will never be sold as a separate character, even though you can make him from Trap Jaw....Kronis is an official character but you have to buy Trap Jaw to make him, and 2 if you want Trap Jaw and Kronis. You don't open the package and pop Kronis out, you have to disassemble Trap Jaw, and pop a new arm and head on, WOW, you have Kronis, but he's still "officially" skus and all Trap Jaw.

    Light Spinner would be what is officially sold, and you can make a somewhat lesser Shadow Weaver from her, and fans can say they finally have SW, but it's just Light Spinner with different accessories popped on...like Trap Jaw / Kronis....MOSC collectors would have to choose either buy the original "Shadow Weaver" ("Official" SW character & figure) or buy "Light Spinner" and just know that they have a form of Shadow Weaver.....Loose collectors would have the option to display either Light Spinner or Shadow Weaver, but "officially" it's just a Light Spinner figure to make the Shadow Weaver character. And the Light Spinner / Shadow Weaver would be totally different, she would be a new mold first off, sold as Light Spinner, she could then have the new different colored belt as an accessory, swappable hands / head or even arms, because LS would have regular skin tone, and SW would have the paler skin, something....I'm sure the geniuses at Mattel could figure that one out, better yet the 4H could sculpt a totally unique sculpt for the combo, different pose, different robes something....

    Get it now? And that is what I said....regardless how you wish to interpret it.

    And if you have Light Spinner as the predominate figure....Shadow Weaver as her second form, she would be different enough to have as a variant....companies do it all the time, offer either variants or repaints of exclusives but as a lesser figure than the variant, either less paint / accessories or a totally different figure. Transformers does it all the time....Thundercracker in Henkei was released, but Hasbro waited 5 years to release him in the Classics / Generations line....and with totally different paint. And I'm not saying Mattel should release a Light Spinner / SW variant now, or even next year....I'm saying it should be an option....they did wait 2 years for a KG variant, totally different paint, same mold, a few new accessories, but it happened....and apparently didn't dent the originals collectability....

    And I was never proposing they re-use the original Shadow Weaver mold at all, after all Light Spinner would be a totally new character to Classics, hell they could even use the Emiliano SW concept with bendable knees to further differentiate the two, or even go a Marlena route with a different robe system, this way she wouldn't "float", she'd have legs. There are ways of doing it....and I never said anywhere Mattel should do it, I said it was possible to do so.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 29, 2012 at 10:26am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  23. #48
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,842
    So, what you're saying is that Mattel could release a Light Spinner with the pieces to make a very slightly different Shadow Weaver? I'm pretty confident that Mattel will not do that.

    The simple fact is, unless Mattel can make a significantly different variant of Shadow Weaver, she will not get a variant. Mattel isn't going to produce a "loophole" Shadow Weaver for fans who couldn't get the sub exclusive. It's just not going to happen.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  24. #49
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,654
    I didn't say it absolutely had to happen, I said Mattel could do if they so chose to....I have Shadow Weaver, but I think there should be a way for others to obtain her without paying the $100 plus others want, granted there are some that sell for less, and I have seen them sell for around $60 just recently on Ebay. Point is if Mattel did that, it would not take any value from the original. And sorry, there are plenty of variant figures that Mattel has made that are slightly different than their original counterparts, paint or a few swapped in parts.... BGEL, KG V2, BA He-Man, SMAA Mo-Larr Skeletor, 2pk Stratos, 2pk Zodac, 2pk He-Man, 2pk Skeletor, BA Faker.... I don't care if they are not all monthly or not, they are MOTUC figures, and they were all made with such little as new armor and nothing else.

    And as far as releasing a new figure with extra pieces to make another figure....Mattel has done it before.

    I myself don't care if they make a SW variant or not, if I didn't have SW regardless if I wanted her or not, I would just simply pass on her....point is, exclusive or not, a totally different mold with swappable pieces would constitute a totally different variant, and could be made, should it be made....possibly....would people buy it....yes they would, even those with the original Shadow Weaver.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  25. #50
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,842
    The big difference between Shadow Weaver and all the characters you just mentioned is that Shadow Weaver was a sub exclusive.

    When Mattel releases a slightly different variant of Wun-Dar or Preternia Disguise He-Man, then you're statements may have credibility. I wouldn't hold your breath.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •