Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allowing Slush Head's dome to turn: BREAK IT!

Allowing Slush Head's dome to turn: BREAK IT!

Amazing! Spectacular! Impossible? Nay! Dear friend, what would you say if I told you that the only skill required for this amazing modification is the ability to break toys?

That is correct! The only thing keeping his dome attached are two glued-in pannels that easily snap right off! All you have to do is bend the back one off while still attached to the armor, then do the same for the front! Or, if yours is like mine, the front pannel will simply free itself from the glue and you can snap it off when you take out the dome. The dome is completely free in the collar save for those two tabs!

So far that I can tell, the snapped tabs do not breach the water containment area, so this should be a nice, safe way to retain the ability while also allowing Slush Head to look around once in awhile!

That's right; no cutting, no gluing, no painting! Just break that sucker!

Once broken, you just snap the armor back on and shove the dome back in place. It stays tighly in place because of the armor and the neck of the body, and now you can freely turn the dome!

Disclaimers: I can't be certain it will snap the same way mine did, but I also cannot see how else it could break. I inspected it as best I can, but I cannot find a way for those tabs to break in such a way to breach the water containment area. Still, I can only be about 99% sure. Perform the procedure at your own risk, but be aware that it worked perfectly for me and he's even better than before! The only thing that could make it better is the removal of the back tab, but it's glued in pretty tight. Otherwise, it's the only thing that is kinda tipping the dome as I turn it (though not in any crazy noticeable way).
    Last edited by Alexx; May 28, 2012 at 05:46pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I was just looking at that earlier today, but didn't have the guts to try and snap it. Thanks for posting this, I may give it a go here in a little bit, if I do I'll let you know how it turned out.

Well, that didn't take me too long to decide to give it a try. I heated up the rubber armor by dipping it in hot water, to give it much more flexibility while working on breaking the tabs.
    I broke the back tab first by pushing it in from the outside, then I slowly worked the glue loose around the rim of the dome. Finally I had to pull and cut away the front tab using a razor.
    I also went ahead and removed the back tab by once again heating up the rubber armor and slowly working a razor in between the tab and rubber.

So far it seems to have worked great. The dome is held in place tight enough that I don't have to worry about it falling out, and it still seems completely water-tight.

I went ahead and fill the dome completely with water (no bubbles) and will leave it that way for at least 24 hours. If no bubbles have gotten in by tomorrow night I'll say this was a complete success! Thanks again for the tip, I love having the option of turning that head.

Of course, it really makes you wonder why mattel didn't do this in the first place. Put a lip around the bottom rim of the dome, put a soffit facing inward on the rim of the armor and boom, you have a head that can turn and stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    Well, that didn't take me too long to decide to give it a try. I heated up the rubber armor by dipping it in hot water, to give it much more flexibility while working on breaking the tabs.
    I broke the back tab first by pushing it in from the outside, then I slowly worked the glue loose around the rim of the dome. Finally I had to pull and cut away the front tab using a razor.
    I also went ahead and removed the back tab by once again heating up the rubber armor and slowly working a razor in between the tab and rubber.

So far it seems to have worked great. The dome is held in place tight enough that I don't have to worry about it falling out, and it still seems completely water-tight.

I went ahead and fill the dome completely with water (no bubbles) and will leave it that way for at least 24 hours. If no bubbles have gotten in by tomorrow night I'll say this was a complete success! Thanks again for the tip, I love having the option of turning that head.
    Awesome! Sounds like you did a better job than me! I should probably try to get rid of the back tab that's still glued in there; would make the head turn smoother.

Of course, it really makes you wonder why mattel didn't do this in the first place. Put a lip around the bottom rim of the dome, put a soffit facing inward on the rim of the armor and boom, you have a head that can turn and stay in place.
    YES, exactly. I have no idea how that went over thier heads. I mean it's pretty much BUILT for that! So very little effort to put that ridge inside the collar and a lip around the dome. I mean it's just common sense! Such a basic point of articulation that I've seen on many toys. How this got by them...I don't know. I think that's a good question to ask: how did you miss such an obvious and simple point of articulation? I don't usually have many complaints, but this one is just so head-smackingly obvious that it boggles the mind.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    This is a very good point! Perhaps, it was a safety issue. Maybe, they wanted to make sure the water remained safely secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    This is a very good point! Perhaps, it was a safety issue. Maybe, they wanted to make sure the water remained safely secure.
    That's the thing, my fellow Alexx: The water is totally secure! The dome peice is one complete item: the only thing they would need to change to make it turn is to add MORE plastic - just a lip around the rim. The already water-tight dome wouldn't be affected. I'm not sure how this obvious fix got past 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    That's the thing, my fellow Alexx: The water is totally secure! The dome peice is one complete item: the only thing they would need to change to make it turn is to add MORE plastic - just a lip around the rim. The already water-tight dome wouldn't be affected. I'm not sure how this obvious fix got past 'em.
    Either you are a Lex Luther level genius or designing it in the manner you just mentioned is too much 'like doing it correctly' for Mattel. *Laughs
    Last edited by Alexxandar; June 7, 2012 at 06:32pm. Reason: Grammar mistake

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    They did it for the vintage character with 80's technology so you would THINK someone would have said, "ya know...." Makes you wonder where they get the great minds in their design team from. Great work Alexx.

Awesome!
    It boggles my mind how amateur Mattel seem to be getting.
    So it is definitely still water tight?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

It's a sad day indeed when breaking your toys makes them better.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Awesome!
    It boggles my mind how amateur Mattel seem to be getting.
    So it is definitely still water tight?
    Yup, so far that I can tell. The glued-in bottom of the dome is very thick, and the tabs snap off on the very bottom rim. That doesn't appear to even get close to the area that holds the water; the glued section is too thick. I've only just filled it with water, so i'll give it some time, but I can't see how water could possibly leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robogeek1973 View Post
    It's a sad day indeed when breaking your toys makes them better.
    Eh, I'm used to it! Back in the day with G.I. Joe's Ninja Force, they decided it was a good idea to put these tabs on the waist to prevent the movement while you use the stupid action attack. Well...I broke those off. Poof! Better! 'Course that was for a reason (even if it was a boring reason) and I can't really see a reason for this choice...but oh well.

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    MOTUC the line with the hidden articulation inside: Mattel wants us all to became professional af designers.

However brilliant discovery Alexx!

I do believe I'll try this as well. After all, why not? This line has me repainting, pulling apart, and rejoining the figures like no toy line I've owned before - except for the original line. It was so easy to 'repair' damaged arms and heads back then.

Thanks for the info - this convinces me to maybe pick up a Slush Head and give this a try. If I'd known it would be that easy, I might have bought him. He looks so much better in those poses than in any review I've seen.
    Why on earth they attached the dome like that is beyond me. Another terrible decision by the design team.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    HA! I knew there must have been a way of making the head turn when I took a look at Dan's review.
    Good job on finding out how, Alexx!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Awesome discovery Alexx!! I just did it to my Slush Head and it worked out great!!
    The tabs on mine weren't glued on too tight, I managed to ply the dome off cleanly with tabs intact. I then broke them using a pair of pliers to make the break cleanly...and now Slush Head can turn his head and smack a galactic guardian on his left or his right side, COOL!!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Great thread! Thanks for the heads up on this Alexx!

I fixed my Slush Head by breaking him just like you suggested!

It really does make you wonder why the design team couldn't have figured out this seemingly easy added articulation fix. I mean instead of the 'locking' tabs that we got, it seems at the very least the helmet could have just 'snapped in' instead, allowing for that unlocked 360º rotation.

– No comment.

Too cool... Gotta do this when I get home.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Hey Alexx, any leaks?
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

None that I can see; I also just posted in your new thread.

It would also be good to get updates from folks that carefully cut away the tabs. I broke mine off, so I could see how minor stress might create a leak somewhere down the line...I mean, not really, since the glue in there looks completely untouched by my manhandling - but still, there would be more weight to comments from people who cut it carefully and avoided stressing the plastic.

Tell you the truth though; I still stand by my method. I won't give you more than 99% assurance, but I really can't see how the water would come out. If they hadn't created those tabs, then the dome would be the same. The tabs come so far away from the dome that it is impossible that they provide any leak protection. If they weren't there, we would have the same dome sans excess plastic.

Epic post, Alexx. Nice discovery.

I am going to send you a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Your next job is to fix the Goddess!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

This is awesome!

I just broke the tabs on mine and the head works perfectly! This really helps the figure.

I kinda want to try this on mine, but it already has a crack in the dome just below his chin. I'm afraid if I put any kind of strain on it, it could lengthen or deepen the crack. ANd with the luck we've had with clear plastic in this line, I'm afraid cracks will just appear or get larger with time as it is.

I would bet that Mattel tried making the head turn independent of the dome - that is the dome stays put, but the head turns inside of it. I bet they never even thought to allow the whole dome to turn. It's the only thing that makes sense, because it seems so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I kinda want to try this on mine, but it already has a crack in the dome just below his chin. I'm afraid if I put any kind of strain on it, it could lengthen or deepen the crack. ANd with the luck we've had with clear plastic in this line, I'm afraid cracks will just appear or get larger with time as it is.

I would bet that Mattel tried making the head turn independent of the dome - that is the dome stays put, but the head turns inside of it. I bet they never even thought to allow the whole dome to turn. It's the only thing that makes sense, because it seems so easy.
    Yeah, honestly; I wouldn't try it. I did it to mine without hesitation because I wouldn't miss the ability to put water in it. So far the ability works fine, though. Still, I won't go beyond 99% sure, because at the end of the day I'm still breaking it and putting pressure on plastic that wasn't meant for that pressure. I like what I did and it is working, but if you've already got a crack, then I wouldn't try it unless you want to go with the possibility that the water option would be eliminated.

So the dome still sits snugly in the armour? I mean if you try pull it up or turned him upside down its not going to fall out right?
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    So the dome still sits snugly in the armour? I mean if you try pull it up or turned him upside down its not going to fall out right?
    Yeah, it fit's pretty snug, and his dome definitely won't fall out by turning him upside down.
    It's not the 'tightest' fit, but in a way it's cool because you can kinda get his dome looking up or down, too.

– No comment.