Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TG Blog #16: Zodak - the great experiment

TG Blog #16: Zodak - the great experiment

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...957#6231074957

Back in 2009, we were still learning the ropes and testing the waters on how big the collector audience was for MOTUC figures. After Stratos figures started selling out much faster than we intended, fans were asking for a subscription of sorts to guarantee their figure.
    It was too late for a full year sub but what we did do was put together a four month sub for the final figures of the year. We even offered the option to ship figures each month or hold them until December and ship at once to save on shipping (very few customers took us up on this option which is why we stopped offering it - the logistics involved was a nightmare).

The other big ask from customers was if we could start offering more than one figure per month. While we did not have the tooling available for this, we looked over the line to see if any smart repaints were available. Based on the lineup for 2009, there were two really great candidates for this: Zodak and Green Goddess.

Both characters could potentially be executed with no new tooling as repaints only. BUT we wanted to try to give them something new and at minimum we knew Zodak needed his staff. So working ahead, we tooled Zodak’s staff with Zodac and Green Goddess’ staff with Teela. This allowed us to offer a “second monthly figure” as an experiment (to see if the customer base would support multiple figures per month) while not throwing off our tooling budget.

Logistically, Zodak was quite easy to do. He was a full-on repaint of Zodac from earlier in the year and as part of our goal for MOTUC, doing Zodak and Zodac as separate characters was key for no other reason than that we could sell both as toys – and honestly, if you review both characters’ roles in the mythos, they are very different and, IMHO, clearly worthy of each getting their own figure!

In terms of Zodak specifically, he came out of the 200X Mike Young production animated series. Originally in the vintage line, Zodac (with a C not a K) was a Caucasian character who was a “neutral cosmic enforcer” who roamed the cosmos on a floating chair. This was clearly an influence from the proposed New Gods line that Mattel was working on prior to Masters. (This line never happened, but the influence can be seen in many early MOTU characters like Zodac and Man-E-Faces.)

For the relaunch of MOTU in 2002, Zodac was reimagined as a mystic warrior and in order to provide ethnic diversity to the line he was changed from a Caucasian character to an African American character (yes, I know there is no Africa or America on Eternia, but you know what I mean). Designers also added cool, striking blue tattoos to Zodak and changed the spelling of his name from a C to a K. All of these were great reasons to define Zodac and Zodak as separate characters and to sell them as unique toys.

But the sculpt similarities between both characters made Zodak a perfect choice as a redeco character to test the waters and see if the MOTUC customer base would support a second monthly figure. And by tooling his unique weapon/staff with Zodac we could add a new item without any tooling. Hey, clever us!

From a personal standpoint, Zodak was one of my favorite characters of 2009 and, honestly, the whole line. I never had the vintage Zodac figure but being a HUGE fan of the 200X series (before coming to Mattel) Zodak was one of my favorite characters. He had these great mystical powers and light up tats that glowed when he used his powers to turn an enemy’s weakness on them. He also had a great back story as an Elder of Eternia and an enemy of the Snake Men. I remember paying big bucks to a dealer at a convention for the 2003 Zodak figure, my personal favorite figure in the Mattel 2002-2004 line.

One of the biggest differences between the 2003 figure and the 2009 figure was the removable mask. I would have LOVED to give MOTUC Zodak a second head without his helmet, but as stated, he was designed as a test figure to see if customers would support a second figure. This meant there was no additional tooling available.

With almost all toy lines, early figures are the “victim” of experimentation and getting one’s feet wet. Had Zodak been held back and released as a normal monthly figure down the road, likely he would indeed have gotten a second head (as would perhaps figures like Faker and Wun-Dar that also used repainted heads). But, as with all early figures in a line, he was a test of a concept (second monthly figures) and thus didn’t get the full treatment.

Getting an unmasked head for him is something I really want to do and hopefully in time we can find a way to release this (and reward customers who already have the figure with another display option!). But until that happens, we still have one cool kick-butt Mystic Enforcer.

In addition to his mystic staff that was tooled with Zodac, we also plussed Zodak up with glowing blue tats. This was all Terry Higuchi, the designer. I actually never asked for them to glow and the Horsemen did not design him with glow in the dark tats. Terry actually never even told me he used glow-in-the-dark paint. I only found out when I brought a figure home and was turning the lights off and saw him glowing on my toy shelf. Wow! I flipped out and emailed Terry thanking him for really going the extra mile.

While he may not have gotten the maskless head the 2003 figure had, I still think Zodak kicks so much butt. We were also able to use the great “shared parts” system the Horsemen created to mix and match a bit, giving him He-Ro’s crotch and boots to further differentiate him from the original Zodac release. This really helped both figures stand out, not only on your shelf, but in the lore as well, as clearly two distinct characters.

In the end, Zodak sold just fine and cleared the way for more characters as we worked on our 2010 line. Fan support for MOTUC has been, and still is, unparalleled. If it was not for the support of the fan base, this line would not exist. I’ve seen many collector toy lines come and go in my career, all based on how big the customer base is. The internet can have a very odd effect on toy collecting. It gives everyone a soapbox to express his or her feelings and desires for a figure line. Unfortunately this can often skew things a bit, making a fan base seem louder than it is numerous, with the same few hundred fans posting over and over.

This factor has lead to the demise of many collector lines that felt like the fan base was much stronger. A few very loud fans posting over and over does not always translate to a large enough customer base. But with MOTUC it proved the opposite and there were indeed enough fans, not only to keep the line going, but to actually add more skus to the line, including quarterly figures, beasts, vehicles, weapon paks and more.

Honestly, I wish every line had the fan base MOTUC has. It breaks my heart every time a collector line has to come to an end simply because we cannot sell enough units. You read online posts and it feels like the support should be there (JLU is a great example). But when it comes to actual sales, it just doesn’t add up. The few fans posting over and over online create the perception that there are more actual customers then there really are.

But for MOTUC, the fan base came through. And for me, I am just so glad. Because at the end of the day I am a toy collector and a MOTU fan, too. And I just want more and more figures and toys. I can’t produce these just for me, so it takes a diehard fan base to keep it going. I can’t thank the fans and customers enough. Their support for the line has proven we can expand beyond just one figure a month and Zodak was the first test to see if this was true.

It is always a risk when you try more products for a collector line. And it often backfires, finding out that those posters online were indeed louder than they were numerous. Looking back at how robust the MOTUC line has gotten at this point, boy, am I glad the numbers were there. MOTUC is really becoming the definitive collector line out there. With retail space at a premium and new movie lines and kid lines coming out every year, finding a space for collectors is becoming more of a challenge. As long as fans keep buying figures, we can keep making them. You really do vote for more figures with every purchase and with Zodak’s success as a second monthly figure (and a repaint at that!) the message from fans to Mattel was “more, please.” Happy to deliver!

Until next time!

SdN
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Zodac was never a character I personally cared for but the Zodak repaint was too good to pass up. IMO, he is still one of the standout figures in the line, especially when the lights go down

Wait a minnit - I thought originally it was stated that Zodak and Goddess didn't sell well enough, so that's why all the quarterly variants had to be "A list" characters! This saddens me, as I would much rather have a new character with no new tooling rather than a variant of the same character.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post

Back in 2009, we were still learning the ropes and testing the waters on how big the collector audience was for MOTUC figures. After Stratos figures started selling out much faster than we intended, fans were asking for a subscription of sorts to guarantee their figure.
    It was too late for a full year sub but what we did do was put together a four month sub for the final figures of the year. We even offered the option to ship figures each month or hold them until December and ship at once to save on shipping (very few customers took us up on this option which is why we stopped offering it - the logistics involved was a nightmare).

The other big ask from customers was if we could start offering more than one figure per month. While we did not have the tooling available for this, we looked over the line to see if any smart repaints were available. Based on the lineup for 2009, there were two really great candidates for this: Zodak and Green Goddess.

Both characters could potentially be executed with no new tooling as repaints only. BUT we wanted to try to give them something new and at minimum we knew Zodak needed his staff. So working ahead, we tooled Zodak’s staff with Zodac and Green Goddess’ staff with Teela. This allowed us to offer a “second monthly figure” as an experiment (to see if the customer base would support multiple figures per month) while not throwing off our tooling budget.

Logistically, Zodak was quite easy to do. He was a full-on repaint of Zodac from earlier in the year and as part of our goal for MOTUC, doing Zodak and Zodac as separate characters was key for no other reason than that we could sell both as toys – and honestly, if you review both characters’ roles in the mythos, they are very different and, IMHO, clearly worthy of each getting their own figure!

In terms of Zodak specifically, he came out of the 200X Mike Young production animated series. Originally in the vintage line, Zodac (with a C not a K) was a Caucasian character who was a “neutral cosmic enforcer” who roamed the cosmos on a floating chair. This was clearly an influence from the proposed New Gods line that Mattel was working on prior to Masters. (This line never happened, but the influence can be seen in many early MOTU characters like Zodac and Man-E-Faces.)

For the relaunch of MOTU in 2002, Zodac was reimagined as a mystic warrior and in order to provide ethnic diversity to the line he was changed from a Caucasian character to an African American character (yes, I know there is no Africa or America on Eternia, but you know what I mean). Designers also added cool, striking blue tattoos to Zodak and changed the spelling of his name from a C to a K. All of these were great reasons to define Zodac and Zodak as separate characters and to sell them as unique toys.

But the sculpt similarities between both characters made Zodak a perfect choice as a redeco character to test the waters and see if the MOTUC customer base would support a second monthly figure. And by tooling his unique weapon/staff with Zodac we could add a new item without any tooling. Hey, clever us!

From a personal standpoint, Zodak was one of my favorite characters of 2009 and, honestly, the whole line. I never had the vintage Zodac figure but being a HUGE fan of the 200X series (before coming to Mattel) Zodak was one of my favorite characters. He had these great mystical powers and light up tats that glowed when he used his powers to turn an enemy’s weakness on them. He also had a great back story as an Elder of Eternia and an enemy of the Snake Men. I remember paying big bucks to a dealer at a convention for the 2003 Zodak figure, my personal favorite figure in the Mattel 2002-2004 line.

One of the biggest differences between the 2003 figure and the 2009 figure was the removable mask. I would have LOVED to give MOTUC Zodak a second head without his helmet, but as stated, he was designed as a test figure to see if customers would support a second figure. This meant there was no additional tooling available.

With almost all toy lines, early figures are the “victim” of experimentation and getting one’s feet wet. Had Zodak been held back and released as a normal monthly figure down the road, likely he would indeed have gotten a second head (as would perhaps figures like Faker and Wun-Dar that also used repainted heads). But, as with all early figures in a line, he was a test of a concept (second monthly figures) and thus didn’t get the full treatment.

Getting an unmasked head for him is something I really want to do and hopefully in time we can find a way to release this (and reward customers who already have the figure with another display option!). But until that happens, we still have one cool kick-butt Mystic Enforcer.

In addition to his mystic staff that was tooled with Zodac, we also plussed Zodak up with glowing blue tats. This was all Terry Higuchi, the designer. I actually never asked for them to glow and the Horsemen did not design him with glow in the dark tats. Terry actually never even told me he used glow-in-the-dark paint. I only found out when I brought a figure home and was turning the lights off and saw him glowing on my toy shelf. Wow! I flipped out and emailed Terry thanking him for really going the extra mile.

While he may not have gotten the maskless head the 2003 figure had, I still think Zodak kicks so much butt. We were also able to use the great “shared parts” system the Horsemen created to mix and match a bit, giving him He-Ro’s crotch and boots to further differentiate him from the original Zodac release. This really helped both figures stand out, not only on your shelf, but in the lore as well, as clearly two distinct characters.

In the end, Zodak sold just fine and cleared the way for more characters as we worked on our 2010 line. Fan support for MOTUC has been, and still is, unparalleled. If it was not for the support of the fan base, this line would not exist. I’ve seen many collector toy lines come and go in my career, all based on how big the customer base is. The internet can have a very odd effect on toy collecting. It gives everyone a soapbox to express his or her feelings and desires for a figure line. Unfortunately this can often skew things a bit, making a fan base seem louder than it is numerous, with the same few hundred fans posting over and over.

This factor has lead to the demise of many collector lines that felt like the fan base was much stronger. A few very loud fans posting over and over does not always translate to a large enough customer base. But with MOTUC it proved the opposite and there were indeed enough fans, not only to keep the line going, but to actually add more skus to the line, including quarterly figures, beasts, vehicles, weapon paks and more.

Honestly, I wish every line had the fan base MOTUC has. It breaks my heart every time a collector line has to come to an end simply because we cannot sell enough units. You read online posts and it feels like the support should be there (JLU is a great example). But when it comes to actual sales, it just doesn’t add up. The few fans posting over and over online create the perception that there are more actual customers then there really are.

But for MOTUC, the fan base came through. And for me, I am just so glad. Because at the end of the day I am a toy collector and a MOTU fan, too. And I just want more and more figures and toys. I can’t produce these just for me, so it takes a diehard fan base to keep it going. I can’t thank the fans and customers enough. Their support for the line has proven we can expand beyond just one figure a month and Zodak was the first test to see if this was true.

It is always a risk when you try more products for a collector line. And it often backfires, finding out that those posters online were indeed louder than they were numerous. Looking back at how robust the MOTUC line has gotten at this point, boy, am I glad the numbers were there. MOTUC is really becoming the definitive collector line out there. With retail space at a premium and new movie lines and kid lines coming out every year, finding a space for collectors is becoming more of a challenge. As long as fans keep buying figures, we can keep making them. You really do vote for more figures with every purchase and with Zodak’s success as a second monthly figure (and a repaint at that!) the message from fans to Mattel was “more, please.” Happy to deliver!

Until next time!

SdN

This is the "Toyguru" we need to have 100% of the time- people can say the he was bsing or he "creatively changed facts" till the cows come home but this is one case where you can really tell how much he cares about the line and it's longevity. The insight he gave into Terry adding the tat glow does go against what he said about leaving the 4H design alone, but it was also a case where it was for the better so no harm no foul. I'd love to also know if they did or didn't sculpt the extra mask less head- I've heard reports of both scenarios and I really wish we could get some clarity in a future entry. Great stuff all around and I hope this is the TG we get to see more of!

She-Ra: Never Forget! RockinHard's Avatar
    PLEASE give us that second Zodak head, TG! I've been wanting that, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    And you needed to reply the whole text again?
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

So glad this isn't a line where the fans are louder than they are numerous. Now what should we ask for next?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Wait a minnit - I thought originally it was stated that Zodak and Goddess didn't sell well enough, so that's why all the quarterly variants had to be "A list" characters! This saddens me, as I would much rather have a new character with no new tooling rather than a variant of the same character.
    I noticed this too but I was trying to be positive so I didn't say anything lol . I too would prefer that if we were to get variant slots that they be used to create a unique character when possible as opposed to just "another variant"- especially since this far into the line there is a tremendous amount of part sharing that could be taken advantage of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    And you needed to reply the whole text again?
    Because it's in the rules and regulations thread when replying directly to a persons comment that you always cite the original post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    So glad this isn't a line where the fans are louder than they are numerous. Now what should we ask for next?

Toy variant Tallstar obviously Jim!

This was a fantastic blog post, Scott. Very good with some cool info and some real heart in there. Major props to you!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

I too would prefer that if we were to get variant slots that they be used to create a unique character when possible as opposed to just "another variant."
    Maybe that will happen sooner than you think...

And don't use this to say that's what you were "guessing"
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Zodak is one of my least favorite figures because he was simply a retool, but it's essentially a "why not?" Had they not released him while having the possibility (simple retool), it would have been foolish.

Here's hoping they sneak Zodak's second head in a Cosmic Enforcer pack. I think that would be a popular pack.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Maybe that will happen sooner than you think...

And don't use this to say that's what you were "guessing"
    I'm not guessing anything, I'm saying as a fan it's freaking common sense that they should be giving us this lol !

I will say that if they don't....ohhhhhhhhhh *makes angry face and grabs a nearby beatin' stick".
    Last edited by vertigoink; May 30, 2012 at 05:40pm.

Oh jeez, behave you two!
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

We should get a second Wun-Dar head, too! Bring it, TG!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    We should get a second Wun-Dar head, too! Bring it, TG!
    This too- Wundar has tons of potential for an alt head whether it be a more "vintage He-Man" looking head now that we have Vykron, or something entirely different.

This too- Wundar has tons of potential for an alt head whether it be a more "vintage He-Man" looking head now that we have Vykron, or something entirely different.
    I'd be happy with it looking more like the card art on the bio shield.

Do Zodak's tattoos really glow in the dark? I've never noticed...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This is the "Toyguru" we need to have 100% of the time- people can say the he was bsing or he "creatively changed facts" till the cows come home but this is one case where you can really tell how much he cares about the line and it's longevity. The insight he gave into Terry adding the tat glow does go against what he said about leaving the 4H design alone, but it was also a case where it was for the better so no harm no foul. I'd love to also know if they did or didn't sculpt the extra mask less head- I've heard reports of both scenarios and I really wish we could get some clarity in a future entry. Great stuff all around and I hope this is the TG we get to see more of!
    Yes, I really like the ending part of this particular blog too. Sometimes TG comes off very badly if you read some of his messages, but when he appears on podcasts it's much more reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    PLEASE give us that second Zodak head, TG! I've been wanting that, and I'm sure I'm not alone!
    Remember back when you were a Vintage Purist? ROFLMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    A yearly MOTUC head pack. Unless all of that extra tooling from making 6 extra figures, a vehicle or a Granamyr sized beast for 2014 will go toward 100% sculpts such as Mantenna, Ram Man, Snake Face or Sagitar, then they might as well make a head pack. Do it!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Do Zodak's tattoos really glow in the dark? I've never noticed...
    Yeah they do. Just don't put him near Scareglow because Zodak has glow envy

Toy variant Tallstar obviously Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    A yearly MOTUC head pack. Unless all of that extra tooling from making 6 extra figures, a vehicle or a Granamyr sized beast for 2014 will go toward 100% sculpts such as Mantenna, Ram Man, Snake Face or Sagitar, then they might as well make a head pack. Do it!
    And if Mattel executives continue to say that a head pack is "morbid", then they should just add the words "and we mean it!" under "adult collector" on the packaging.

Head pack = multiples of figures purchased. I wish they got that.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Remember back when you were a Vintage Purist? ROFLMAO!
    Yeah, remember when you were a 200x Enthusiast or Die Fan?

Wait a minute . . .

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    And if Mattel executives continue to say that a head pack is "morbid", then they should just add the words "and we mean it!" under "adult collector" on the packaging.

Head pack = multiples of figures purchased. I wish they got that.
    You know what would be a twisted gag? If Mattel posted a pic with all of these alternate heads that we've been asking for mounted on these plastic pikes.

The reason Mattel gives for not making a head pack is that the tooling and paint apps for a single head is almost equal to half the cost of an entire figure or something. I'll have to listen to that RGD again to get the facts straight.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Is it common knowledge that Mattel was working on a New Gods line? I've never heard that before.
    I know that all of the Kirby Fourth World stuff was a major influence, but I had no idea that Mattel was working on a line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    This was clearly an influence from the proposed New Gods line that Mattel was working on prior to Masters. (This line never happened, but the influence can be seen in many early MOTU characters like Zodac and Man-E-Faces.)
    Waitwaitwait

Wait.

....What???