Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gbagok Presents Neoclassics

Gbagok Presents Neoclassics

I wasn't going to start this now, but Penny Dreadful encouraged me to post this in support of King Helios in the MOTUC polls. I've been meaning to start drawing characters in a Classics style, and this seemed like a good place to start.

King Helios (who surprisingly doesn't have a support thread of his own!) didn't have a large part or a complex design in Filmation, but it was cool to see a whole people made of living fire. Their king, Helios, wasn't a villain, but he was definitely hostile when he thought He-Man had stolen the Spellstone from the Region of Flame.

I first drew the armor for Fire Armor Skeletor, but decided it looked too evil and too 200x-y to go with the character. So I turned to the artwork provided by James Eatock in the Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventures by Dark Horse. I added a few minor details to the armor and I think it would work well on a Helios figure.

I didn't include it but the armor could also come in transluscent red, along with other accessories to match the rest of Helios. These combinations could lend themselves over to an army builder.

I hope to post more along with the other series I'm doing for Universe Tours and Unofficial bios.

A few others in this style:
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Wow Gbagok this is a big and unexpected surprise. The more 1980s-designs for He-Man, Skelly and Beast Man look fantastic. This is a great new thread. Looking forward to many more NeoClassics.

Yes, it would create to incorporate these as re-dos for already existing bios and tours.
    "A true hero fights for justice and loves kindness." - He-Man, Buzz-Off's Pride, 2002.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Glad you posted these, Eric!

No support thread for King Helios?! Well, then I guess I'll need to remedy that.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    There definitely should be, a support thread for King Helios.
    Gbagok, I like this artwork.
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

The whole concept is so awesome, gbagok. All of it.

I'm one of the followers of your threads here. So awesome!

Definitely like what gbagok did with King Helios and I really like the incorporation of Fire Armor Skeletor's armor.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Thanks, all! I hope I can produce some more while the polls are open, but I may not be able to keep up since this is looking to be a busy week.

Here's a trio of ladies I hope we get soon:

Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I wasn't going to start this now, but Penny Dreadful encouraged me to post this in support of King Helios in the MOTUC polls. I've been meaning to start drawing characters in a Classics style, and this seemed like a good place to start.

King Helios (who surprisingly doesn't have a support thread of his own!) didn't have a large part or a complex design in Filmation, but it was cool to see a whole people made of living fire. Their king, Helios, wasn't a villain, but he was definitely hostile when he thought He-Man had stolen the Spellstone from the Region of Flame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psdmh72fcy.png

I first drew the armor for Fire Armor Skeletor, but decided it looked too evil and too 200x-y to go with the character. So I turned to the artwork provided by James Eatock in the Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventures by Dark Horse. I added a few minor details to the armor and I think it would work well on a Helios figure.

I didn't include it but the armor could also come in transluscent red, along with other accessories to match the rest of Helios. These combinations could lend themselves over to an army builder.

I hope to post more along with the other series I'm doing for Universe Tours and Unofficial bios.

A few others in this style:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psgozchpee.png
    one of the cooler accessories that the fire people had was scythe which we have yet to see in classics, awesome accessory to include with the army building faction of it, gotta find a pic somewhere

Thank you Gbagok. This is a good start.

Now, I know I [may] sound like a broken record, but it would be really cool if you used those samples of He-Man, Skeletor and Beast Man as re-dos for existing tours and bios. Or maybe do them in a different thread. Like you could make new bios in a new style (say like what Super7 did with the bios for the Ultimate figures) and do the classic exploding red rocks from the vintage line packaging as background for the characters (like you did with the Grayskull tours).

I think that would be awesome to see characters re-done in Classics style in the bios and tours. It would be much appreciated.
    "A true hero fights for justice and loves kindness." - He-Man, Buzz-Off's Pride, 2002.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Loving this thread. Add one more for me to constantly be seeking out....
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I really dig this. Going back to the beginning is a great way to refresh. Also now tat the Horseman aren't hampered by Super 7, it opens the door to try new ideas and executions. I've been wanting interchangeable hands forever and some figures with QC issues need to be revisited (Roboto).

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Wonderful, Eric! Great work! I definitely hope we get all three of those ladies in the line!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

firepeople.jpg
    heres the sickle

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Great drawings. I hope we get to see these ladies in toyform soon!
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Hey Gbagok. Would be nice if you threw in some core characters, Classics style, like the sample of He-Man, Skeletor and Beast Man. Also, we would like to see some more tours. Haven't seen those in a long time!

Movie mayhem!
    These look great Eric!

So just testing to see if this works through Flickr. Hope these three show up!

Thank you once again Gbagok. These are beautiful. Hope to see many more.

Keep up with the hard work!!!

Beautiful artwork as always.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

This is super fun; it's really nice to see this evolution. It still feels like your style, but the more "classics" build is cool.

Thanks guys! Here's to a Happy Halloween!

Thanks for these Gbagok and Happy Halloween to you, too!

Scareglow is the perfect MOTU character for Halloween. In the MYP era, he took center stage in the comic issue called "The Power of Fear", which was part of the Dream Halloween series by MVC comics.

Hope to see many more beloved characters such as Beast Man, Man-at-Arms, Stratos, Mer-Man, Teela and Zodac, and then some.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    These look amazing. I hope Evil-Lyn and Teela get revisited to a proper 2.0. This thread is really fun. Really like the Skeletor and She-Ra heads.

Wow! These a very nice, and dare I say it, may be just as good if not better than 200x (which is way better than Filmation anyways.)
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Just a few more and a reminder to vote in the Org polls. Miro and Minox are up in Round 4!

minox_neoclassics
    Quick note: Minox's axe is based on King Tamusk's design! Also it was his idea to use the Filmation bracers on the 200x King Miro, a great way to tie the two eras together IMO!
    Last edited by gbagok; November 25, 2017 at 06:26am.