Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.80!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I really hope they do move away from that whole "annual vote at SDCC" thing. A room full of 100 people isn't a good representation of the fanbase at large.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I disagree entirely with the idea of reducing the figure quantity next year. The longer this line runs the more expensive it's going to end up being. 5 years from now labor and materials will be more expensive. So the people who clamor for fewer figures are actually making things a little worse. I would rather pay less for a higher quantity of product versus more for less down the line. Maybe they should continue doing the same sku's just offer more outside of the sub for those who are willing to spend more money. I am more than ecstatic to receive 2 or more items a month and want it to stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I disagree entirely with the idea of reducing the figure quantity next year. The longer this line runs the more expensive it's going to end up being. 5 years from now labor and materials will be more expensive. So the people who clamor for fewer figures are actually making things a little worse. I would rather pay less for a higher quantity of product versus more for less down the line. Maybe they should continue doing the same sku's just offer more outside of the sub for those who are willing to spend more money. I am more than ecstatic to receive 2 or more items a month and want it to stay that way.
    Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking as well.
    If you have a Queen Marlena cardback to sell, please let me know.

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100
    MOTUC for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212096
    200x for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=213585
    I have a huge lot of Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) cards I'm also selling. PM me.

Glad to see that my question was selected, but disappointed that it was given a non-answer answer....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    I'm fine with less items next year.

Any way you slice it, the cost will affect the line but nothing in regards to the end of it. Collector's will collect! Now some say the reduction of sku's is bad and some say good. Well with the new price increase you're gonna be paying more for whatever comes out next year, so imagine if they continued with the current sku quantity; I'm sure many will complain that it's an expensive month! Now many feel that if the line gets extended due to dropping and spreading the sku's and the prices rise it will be too expensive... Guys what's it gonna be? I mean if the variants were reduced I don't think it's the end of the world, cause it can spread them evenly and also not force them to create variants just to fill the slot and incur negative reactions (SMAA). I will follow this pretty much until the end and i feel others' agony but we do need to level this out just a little... I just guess the question is how
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I'm also happy for a few less SKU's as this line is just costing too much, even more so with the prices going up. For 2013 I'd like to see 12 monthly figures, 2 variants, 2 beasts, 1 exclusive and 1 Battle Ram
    I second that!!!!!

Something i think most people overlook is that sellers buy hundreds of figures and subs. They are a huge reason this line does so well and it's their buying that and selling that sets the market on ebay. Even if the few who say they will not sub next year the sellers most certainly will and those without a sub will go to them. It is a cycle and the secondary market sellers drive this line. I am thankful they exist, and they partially are a saving grace for MOTUC. Less sku's and higher prices will not stop that portion of the sub purchases. Many people would need to stop buying to have the some effect as one seller.

You are assuming inflation rises and oil goes up. Oil is down over $30 from the highs earlier in the year and both the US and Europe are actually starting to see signs of deflation in areas. So your assumption that prices will increase is false. Prices could go down if commodity costs continue to drop and a deflationary environment continues to become reality.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Any way you slice it, the cost will affect the line but nothing in regards to the end of it. Collector's will collect! Now some say the reduction of sku's is bad and some say good. Well with the new price increase you're gonna be paying more for whatever comes out next year, so imagine if they continued with the current sku quantity; I'm sure many will complain that it's an expensive month! Now many feel that if the line gets extended due to dropping and spreading the sku's and the prices rise it will be too expensive... Guys what's it gonna be? I mean if the variants were reduced I don't think it's the end of the world, cause it can spread them evenly and also not force them to create variants just to fill the slot and incur negative reactions (SMAA). I will follow this pretty much until the end and i feel others' agony but we do need to level this out just a little... I just guess the question is how
    Reducing the number of 'A-list' variants available per year is not the answer. Every day here on the forums there are calls for some much wanted variant or other to be made: Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Oo-Lar, toy Catra, green Trap-Jaw, NA He-Man and Skeletor (gah!), changed colour snake men warriors, pink Sorceress and Teela, Kamo Khan, Jungle Attack He-Man, Leo Faker, Filmation or 200x Randor, 200x Underwater Armor Teela, Snake Mek etc

Mattel is not making these up - they are fan demanded! Even the snake MAA has its fans - especially now we can swap heads with the original to make 200x MAA!

The fans will lose if Mattel reduces the number of figures released each year, no matter what happens to cost of manufacture.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I really hope they do move away from that whole "annual vote at SDCC" thing. A room full of 100 people isn't a good representation of the fanbase at large.
    Definitely AGREE! I just don't understand why if there would be anywhere they would hold a vote it wouldn't be done on the boards or something more wide a base...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Reducing the number of 'A-list' variants available per year is not the answer. Every day here on the forums there are calls for some much wanted variant or other to be made: Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Oo-Lar, toy Catra, green Trap-Jaw, NA He-Man and Skeletor (gah!), changed colour snake men warriors, pink Sorceress and Teela, Kamo Khan, Jungle Attack He-Man, Leo Faker, Filmation or 200x Randor, 200x Underwater Armor Teela, Snake Mek etc

Mattel is not making these up - they are fan demanded! Even the snake MAA has its fans - especially now we can swap heads with the original to make 200x MAA!

The fans will lose if Mattel reduces the number of figures released each year, no matter what happens to cost of manufacture.
    Point taken but in the end, it's like a 'Sophie's Choice' type of situation, would you rather prefer variants or characters? I'm not saying no to them but am really not needing so many different versions in my life. Oo-Larr I would consider a new character thus getting a monthly slot. And yes I want a green Trap Jaw, Orange/Brown Ram Man, Bounty Hunter Tri-Klops and even some style-inspired ones as well; but when it comes down to the principle of what this figure line is based on, I simply want the character figures first and foremost. Matty spoiled us all when they decided to expand on the premise of this club and without really realizing that eventually the cost would rise, over-saturating it all these extras; variants, beasts and a vehicle (Here n There?) By no means it's not a complaint but when you weigh all this in... cost is an issue and an unstoppable reality. We all as fans want everything and anything MOTU but (and I can't offer any solution) a trimming on some scale is necessary. I mean it's not a popular statement on my part but simply a thought in regards to this whole situation....

Cause honestly, my wallet would would open no matter what the prices turn out to be!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While I hope that they don't completely "gut" the amount of figures/product that we are getting, I do think that to some extent reducing the number of skus is a good thing. It is a lot of keep up with. I do hope that this doesn't effect the number of regular figures that we are getting (so I hope that we still get the 12 monthly figures and 4 variants, etc). But I would be cool with one less oversized SKU. While I do hope we get a few more prominent beasts in this line, there really aren't that many (IMO) that are prominent enough to really be worthy of a $30-$40 slot (which is based on current sub prices... outside the sub currently is $33-$44, and next year will be even more). Gygor, who was sold outside of the sub when he came out, apparently didn't sell all that well based on the absurd amount of stock that Mattel still had of him during that one sale they had where that glitch occurred, showing how much stock they had of everything. And while the upcoming Griffin figure is kind of cool and will probably sell out since he is already included in the sub, I can't say that was a "must have" beast by any means, and I easily could live without it if he hadn't been made. I have a feeling that if he wasn't included in the sub, he might have some extra units left hanging around (maybe not as bad as Gygor, but still bad enough). I understand that these are ways to get additional use out of existing parts that were also used on other figures (Shadow Beast in the case of Gygor, and Battle Cat/Panthor in the case of the Griffin), but Mattel needs to get smarter in terms of reusing parts on product that the bulk of the fan community actually wants.

While in some respects I do enjoy and respect how deep this line has gone, I think we can do well to have more "meat and potatoes" and less "parsley" going forward when it comes to the larger beasts/giants.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    You are assuming inflation rises and oil goes up. Oil is down over $30 from the highs earlier in the year and both the US and Europe are actually starting to see signs of deflation in areas. So your assumption that prices will increase is false. Prices could go down if commodity costs continue to drop and a deflationary environment continues to become reality.
    Very, very unlikely. It's not just about the price of oil. A lot of it these days is down to the cost of labor in China. Sure, production could move somewhere else (like India) and labor costs might go down but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Court Magician
    Something i think most people overlook is that sellers buy hundreds of figures and subs. They are a huge reason this line does so well and it's their buying that and selling that sets the market on ebay. Even if the few who say they will not sub next year the sellers most certainly will and those without a sub will go to them. It is a cycle and the secondary market sellers drive this line. I am thankful they exist, and they partially are a saving grace for MOTUC. Less sku's and higher prices will not stop that portion of the sub purchases. Many people would need to stop buying to have the some effect as one seller.
    And, at this point, I don't know why any reseller is subscribing to this line. I see people on here going, "If you're buying a figure for $20 and selling it for $25, you're making money." These people can't do math. First off, the figures cost more than their price tags, because of shipping and, depending on where they are, taxes. That alone makes the figure cost $25 or more. Then, when it comes to selling a figure, the prices add up. The reseller's credit card processor or PayPal is taking a percentage. Then there's whatever overhead it takes to actually sell the thing (hosting, employee time cost, etc). If they have little or no overhead, it's because they're on eBay, which is taking about 20%, depending on how the sale is made (that alone means a figure needs to sell for over $30 to make its money back on eBay). In fact, eBay even takes a percentage of the shipping cost paid, meaning sellers either have to overcharge for shipping and anger customers or eat a chunk of that, too.

So, in the end, these figures would have to sell for a lot more than they do for resellers to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    It could also be misdirection. Remember just prior to SDCC when Scott said they still didn't have Filmation rights? He probably wants to stifle the Filmation Sub discussion for the time being.

Unless the price increase is going to price fans out of the equation I don't see why they would take a step back in offering as much product as they can.
    I agree, I dont see where he states there will be no Filmation sub, if the rumors are true, he could be saying the SKUs for the Eternia Sub is going down, but not that there will not be a Filmation Sub. We shall see.

I'm thinking that the reduction in skus will result in 12 monthlies, 2 quarterly (bi-annual) beast/multi-pack/giants alternating with 2 quarterly (bi-annual) variants plus exclusives (Club Eternia, SDCC, etc.) and 1 or 2 extras (vehicle, diorama, weapon pak, stands, etc.).
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah