Thread: Where does 2012 rank amongst the best years in MOTU history?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar

Where does 2012 rank amongst the best years in MOTU history?

I've been thinking for a while on how to ask this question. Hopefully we can have a discussion here to narrow it down.

Which are the best years of MOTU and where does the year 2012 rank amongst them?

We don't have a cartoon or anything, but it IS the 30th anniversary. We got all new figures, figures we've waited 25-30 years for (Photog, Star Sisters, Shadow Weaver, etc...), there's new merchandise on the way (Kooky cans, New Era caps, bobbleheads, etc...), mini comics, REAL sized comics, and we're just about at the halfway point of the year so far.

I know 1985 was like the peak of the original run, 2002 was a helluva year with the relaunch, 1987 was a "movie year" even though the vintage lien was dying, and even 1989 with the New Adventures attempt some people may want to cite.

So what do you guys think? Where would you rank 2012 amongst the best years in MOTU history? Put down your top 3, 5, 10 whatever years in MOTU history if you'd like. I'm very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

For me personally, 2012 relit my passion for the line. This year started out with my son discovering He-Man toys for the first time, which led us on a quest to recollect the vintage line since all my childhood figures were gone. While completing his line, I discovered the Org for the first time, which led to me discovering the Classics line for the first time, which led to me getting my first taste and starting my addiction. Between reissues and awesome Org'ers I've ammassed a great collection so far that I'm very proud of.

As to the question at hand, after reviewing the figures that have come out in previous years and comparing to the releases and announced figures thus far....I'd have to say I came in during the perfect year! IMO 2012 had one of the strongest lineups yet. There was something for everyone and despite a couple hiccups (Vykron) I'm very pleased to have joined the line and am seriously considering joining the ranks of subscriber next year!

Though there have been issues with the distribution side of this line (DR), and design choices made that left a lot of people scratching their heads (SS deco, SMAA, Sorceress drums, Stinkor arms, etc.), the line-up this year has been incredibly strong. Whether your all-encompassing, vintage-only, or somewhere in-between, we have to admit we have received some amazing figures this year. For MOTUC, 2012 is going to be hard to beat.

Heroic Warrior
    I never had a subscription and nver bought anything. I watched the reveals at ComicCon last Summer and got the subscription and bought the back issues from all of you. This year has been phenomenal. And watching Scott deal with all of us is a real lesson in how to be a spokesperson for any group. He's quite good at balancing all the interests involved (his bosses, our needs, his sanity). But god what a great year.

I have had a subscription for 2011 & now 2012 So far both years have had fantastic character offerings. With what I know thats comming in my sub, 2012 is going to be great

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I didn't collect the vintage line when it came out (though I own many of them now), but I personally rank 2012 as either the best or 2nd best year (behind 1985) in MOTU history!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; June 7, 2012 at 11:08pm.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

I don't have a sub, and never will, even though I am getting a lot of the figures from 2012, which even after I get another 6 or 7 of the already released figures....I will still have more 2012 figures than any other year. I want to see what the 2013 price increase is all about, and that will determine if next year will I get many or not....if too high, then I only have to have 4 more after Mek comes in October to be finished, if not too high, then I will have to cut back, but I will still get whichever figure I like, but maybe only one a month, and no multiples to open, unless it's a favorite, and so far all that is left after the reveals so far, is Ram-Man to be a favorite, the other 3 I can do without extras.

But to me I know I only came in August last year....but as far as figures to be, and already in my collection....2012 will have the most shelf space taken.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

In all of MOTU history? Maybe like 10th place. I thought the newness of the line in 2008 to 2009 was the most exciting time in MOTUC history and would rank higher. 2005 was probably my favorite year in recent times due to the Filmation DVD releases. The 80s would take up a majority of my spots.

I wouldn't put it in a category of the entire MOTU history because this generation pales to other generations. The vintage era made it a house hold name, the 200x era brought it to the attention of the general public again and the classics era is only relevant to the keyboard warriors in their parents basement

Heroic Warrior
    This is a tough question to answer. Too many negatives that outweigh the positives... especially for 2012 so far.

It has been a great year.

It has been a TINY bit unbalanced (I'm not sure why there couldn't have been 1 or 2 less vintage motu characters in favor of a mini-comic character, or someone like Strobo). We have two slots, a variant, and a Beast slot left... if one of those 2 monthlies is POP, and one is something other than vintage MOTU, I will be very happy. I just like the variety.

Despite continued quality control issues, and problems with shipping for many people, it has been a FUN year!

Heroic vintage MOTU: Sorceress, Fisto, Thunder Punch He-Man, Mekaneck
    Villainous vintage MOTU: Stinkor, Kobra Khan, Spikor
    Heoric Great Rebellion: Star Sisters, Frosta
    Evil Horde: Shadow Weaver, Mosquitor, Horde Prime
    Snake Men: Kobra Khan (counted twice, because he counts as both evil and snake), Snake Warriors 2-pack
    MYP: Snake MAA, Griffin
    New Adventures: Slush Head
    Mini-Comics: Temple of Darkness Sorceress
    Concept: Vykron, Fearless Photog (technically a concept), Star Sisters (they are a concept pack)

We need another New Adventures figure, and we need another Great Rebellion A/B lister...

an MYP character would be cool... and Dactys would make sense since we need someone to give us the Keldor swords (his people made swords in the MYP cartoon)... another Great Rebellion lady would be a HUGE thank you to the POP fans for being so loyal... and yes, they are INCREDIBLY loyal.

It would be cool if they used the final variant to give us something interesting!

Then there is the final Beast/Multi-pack slot...
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    2012 is #10

1. 1983 (Filmation, MOTU just getting started)
    2. 1985 (strong year, MOTU in all its glory)
    3. 1984 (just a solid year)
    4. 1982 (beginning)
    5. 1986 (still hot)
    6. 1987 (lost steam, but the movie came out, cartoons were still rerun strong)
    7. 2002 (great new era)
    8. 2009 (solid lineup, and WSD that led to subs)
    9. 2003 (second year of 200x)
    10. 2012 (great releases, fan character, 30th anniversary)
    11. 2010 (MOTUC WSD continues, but line is strong, TRU releases)
    12. 2011 (first vehicle in MOTUC, a lot of great releases)
    13. 2000 (commemorative was reminder how much we love MOTU)
    14. 1989 (NA, important, but not popular)
    15. 2004 (200x winding down)
    16. 2001 (still great commerative stuff, rumors of new 200x)
    17. 1990 (He-Man around, but forgotten thanks to TMNT craze)
    18. 1988 (vintage line dead, but still lingers for fans refusing to say die)
    19. 2005 (staction time!)
    20. 2006 (stactions still good)
    21. 2007 (stactions dying)
    22. 1991 (He-Man still around?)
    23. 1992 (dead as a doornail)

1981 and 2008 are hard to include since only a small part of the year was truly MOTU.
    Last edited by The All American; June 7, 2012 at 11:10pm.

2012 was my favorite MOTU year. I finished my 200X set and purchased the entire Classics line after a long several years of wanting and waiting. Also, my nephew found them and loves playing with them, especially "Smurf", his name for Sy Klone, and that made it that much more special. The last time i was this MOTU satisfied was the relaunch in 2002.

I think that this has been an amazing year for MOTUC. So many anticipated figures for me (Frosta, Spikor, Fisto, etc) have rolled out and even though it has been very vintage heavy, there have been some good surprises.

It actually makes me even more excited for the next couple of years because HOPEFULLY, they will be all over the place now that a lot of vintage has rolled out. I am ready for a crazy mix of FilMation, PoP, NA, comic and concept to constantly knock us into left field. I have been to SDCC for many consecutive years and MOTU has been a big part of it, but this year, it is pretty much exclusively MOTU. I cannot wait.

Long live MOTUC.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    Besides a messy start, it's definately been the best MOTUC year so far for me.
    Just look at the line-up of characters (excl. 30th sub):

Star Sisters 3-Pack
    Sorceress
    Fisto
    Shadow Weaver
    Kobra Khan
    Thunderpunch He-Man
    Stinkor
    Slush Head
    Horde Prime
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    Griffin
    Spikor
    Vykron
    Snake Men 2-Pack
    Frosta
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    Mosquitor
    (? Filmation Character ?)
    Granamyr

I hope this trend continues in 2013. I made a list last night (just playing around) of what would be my perfect 2013 sub! Taking in mind all factions and fans. Since we are running out of vintage variants there will be 2 new figures counted as 2 quarterly variants ($20,-) that will become one $40,- 2-Pack . It's going to be another expensive year.

Jan
    Glimmer
    "Unknown Quarterly Variant"

Feb
    Clamp Champ
    Horde Troopers 2-Pack ($40,-)

Mar
    Evilseed (Filmation style)

-------------------------------------------
    Apr
    Jitsu

May
    Hydron
    Shokoti & Lord Masque 2-Pack ($40,-)

Jun
    Scorpia
    Jul
    Rattlor
    Eldor (SDCC/Matty)

Aug
    Two-Bad
    Roton (Vehicle!) ($40,-)

Sep
    Blast Attak
    Oct
    Stonedar

Nov
    Castaspella

Dec
    King Miro
    Bionatops ($30,-)

Would you get a subscription if this was the line-up for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    Besides a messy start, it's definately been the best MOTUC year so far for me.
    Just look at the line-up of characters (excl. 30th sub):

Star Sisters 3-Pack
    Sorceress
    Fisto
    Shadow Weaver
    Kobra Khan
    Thunderpunch He-Man
    Stinkor
    Slush Head
    Horde Prime
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    Griffin
    Spikor
    Vykron
    Snake Men 2-Pack
    Frosta
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    Mosquitor
    (? Filmation Character ?)
    Granamyr

I hope this trend continues in 2013. I made a list last night (just playing around) of what would be my perfect 2013 sub! Taking in mind all factions and fans. Since we are running out of vintage variants there will be 2 new figures counted as 2 quarterly variants ($20,-) that will become one $40,- 2-Pack . It's going to be another expensive year.

Jan
    Glimmer

Feb
    Clamp Champ
    Horde Troopers 2-Pack ($40,-)

Mar
    Evilseed (Filmation style)

Apr
    Jitsu

May
    Hydron
    Shokoti & Lord Masque 2-Pack ($40,-)

Jun
    Scorpia
    Jul
    Rattlor
    Eldor (SDCC/Matty)

Aug
    Two-Bad
    Roton (Vehicle!) ($40,-)

Sep
    Blast Attak
    Oct
    Stonedar

Nov
    Castaspella

Dec
    King Miro
    Bionatops ($30,-)

Would you get a subscription if this was the line-up for next year?
    Your list is great! If we got horde troops and bionatops in the same year I would be so stoked.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Where does 2012 rank amongst the best years in MOTU history?
    Well, I think I'll have to wait until 2012 is actually over before I can decide. In addition, I'll probably need a few years to pass in order to produce a more substantial and educated decision. Any opinions formed now would be wholly premature for me.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting idea to rank the years! Despite the sub mess, the Star Sisters, Slush Head and Laser Lot, this year has given us some great Vintage characters.

I think the Classics years are better than anything that came before because, unlike 30 years ago, I now have a chance to collect all of the figures I want instead of hoping for a couple of toys as presents.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk