Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Way To Pack / Store / Move Figures

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I got them off of ebay at least a year ago. They might still have similar cases on there now. I forgot who I had bought them from or what the exact name for them is. They also hold my old Family Guy figures, so to give you an idea of size, the dimensions are enough to fit naked Peter And his pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    I got them off of ebay at least a year ago. They might still have similar cases on there now. I forgot who I had bought them from or what the exact name for them is. They also hold my old Family Guy figures, so to give you an idea of size, the dimensions are enough to fit naked Peter And his pillow.
    cool. i dig em

Has anyone had any problems with figures "melting" or becoming sticky in normal ziplock bags? That's what I was told when I was advised to get the polypropylene bags

Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with figures "melting" or becoming sticky in normal ziplock bags? That's what I was told when I was advised to get the polypropylene bags
    I've had Transformers in Ziploc bags for a while now, and nothing, but I know there is a difference in plastic compositions between those and MOTUC. But I've had some MOTUC parts in bags for about a year now, and they still look fine.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I use Ultra Pro resealable comic book bags. I keep the weapons in hobby plastic bins. The comic book bags are cheap and they are thick enough to hold the figures without tearing.

So far, the solid cases are way to expensive. If they made a cheaper alternative, I would totally buy them in bulk.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    My motuc have been in ziplocks since day 1. No issues.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Thanks for the info guys. I guess the only other thing i need to figure out is how to contain moss mans smell, i seriously have him in 3 ziplock bags and the smell still gets out.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess the only other thing i need to figure out is how to contain moss mans smell, i seriously have him in 3 ziplock bags and the smell still gets out.
    I resealed Stinkor on his card, I put him in a Zoloworld case, I even went as far as to tape the entire case, every seam....and I can still smell faint traces of hippie in my closet from time to time, so anything short of actually gluing the case closed for him....I don't know. Moss Man, I have no Idea, but in my head, I assume he smells like a bottle of Pine Sol....

I grew up around a lot of Pine Trees and none of them unless you sat in the damn thing smelled that strong....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Yup. Mossman is in 3 bags in my garage and it STILL stinks when you walk past it. I guess certain figures got more smell than others. Even left mine outside for a week.....
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heroic Warrior

Pack figures away

What is the best way to pack figures up? Mine are open and I want to put some away for the time being. Thanks

zip lock bags and put all accessorys in with them. However put staffs in something else because they can get white bend lines and snap. Females id put in bubble wrap over the zip lock because of the weight they would damage easier. Actually, anyone with a soft goods part (Think Adora's weird diaper) id give bubble wrap too because she was in the middle of a bin and the pressure of other figures made a bad indent on the plastic.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    My motuc have been in ziplocks since day 1. No issues.
    Zip Lock bags (at least the ones from the grocery store) are a terrible idea. They're not designed for long term storage. You may not be noticing problems yet, but you will.

You wouldn't store comic books in anything other than acid free cardboard and plastic, so why do anything different for action figures?

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Zip Lock bags (at least the ones from the grocery store) are a terrible idea. They're not designed for long term storage. You may not be noticing problems yet, but you will.

You wouldn't store comic books in anything other than acid free cardboard and plastic, so why do anything different for action figures?
    Ive been collecting toys for over 30 years and havent had a problem Unless people live in some insanely hot weather, ziplock bags are fine.

Ive been collecting toys for over 30 years and havent had a problem Unless people live in some insanely hot weather, ziplock bags are fine.
    I routinely have problems buying sticky figures from people who insist zip locks are "fine." I've also had problems with vintage Star Wars figures that I put in zip lock bags around 7 years ago. I've read the problem has more to do with trapped moisture than heat. If regular zip locks work for you, then you are either very lucky, or you just haven't noticed the problem yet.

We spend good money on these figures, why wouldn't we want to protect them the best way possible? Cheap zip lock bags cause damage to figures, it's not something I'm making up, I'm trying to warn anyone who cares enough about their figures that regular zip lock bags are not ok.

I routinely have problems buying sticky figures from people who insist zip locks are "fine." I've also had problems with vintage Star Wars figures that I put in zip lock bags around 7 years ago. I've read the problem has more to do with trapped moisture than heat. If regular zip locks work for you, then you are either very lucky, or you just haven't noticed the problem yet.

We spend good money on these figures, why wouldn't we want to protect them the best way possible? Cheap zip lock bags cause damage to figures, it's not something I'm making up, I'm trying to warn anyone who cares enough about their figures that regular zip lock bags are not ok.
    Thats really weird man. Could just be cause I keep a small gap open and never fully seal the baggies to let air flow.... plus climate control must do the trick. I could see a ziplock bag left in a storage facillity without climate control and reaching over 100+ not being good for sure.

I too have had my stuff in Ziplocs for years and no issues, I can open them, and they still have that plasticy goodness smell to them, no stickiness, nothing. The only gooeyness is from 2 Vintage TMNT that weren't in Ziplocs and stored out in a barn for 10 years, the ones in Ziplocs were just fine. And before anyone says anything, they were toys, until I got older and remembered they were still around and that I wanted to collect toys, I was glad when I remembered they were stored away all that time, I still had them, and all but the 2 not stored in something were just fine. And the barn never got over 80, and not too high a humidity....the place I stored the stuff was an old walk in cooler with a thermometer....I went in all the time, I just didn't realize my Dad kept my old toys put away, or I would have had them with me long before.

Now, I still keep things in Ziplocs, and since 2006, when I got back into toys, and started actually collecting, I have had some stored in Ziplocs, and I take them out every once in a great while, and they are just as mint as the day they went inside. I even have comic books in modified storage bags with cardboard backing from notebooks, and after 10 - 30 + years (never leaving the climate control of my house), the pages are still crisp, non decaying mint perfection. I don't believe anything is as important as temperature and humidity control is, for anything you store away.

These are the plastics Ziploc bags are made from....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_...y_polyethylene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_polyethylene

Also food is kept for long term storage in these plastics, not just for short term sandwich containers. Hell the ABS and PVC in the toys themselves contain more volatile compounds than anything in the Ziploc bags. Toys may need to breathe, but the Ziplocs themselves....I just don't see how it's possible to hurt them, all plastic is acidic to a point, but the PVC & ABS is more than the LLDPE Ziploc bags are made from. Not good for Comics, perhaps, but for toys, when properly stored in Ziplocs....yes. Perhaps the best storage bags to use are the ones that don't zip, and use tape to seal them, that way air can still escape the bags.

But there is a world of difference between storing something as fragile as paper, and storing plastic toys....

- - - Updated - - -

Thats really weird man. Could just be cause I keep a small gap open and never fully seal the baggies to let air flow.... plus climate control must do the trick. I could see a ziplock bag left in a storage facillity without climate control and reaching over 100+ not being good for sure.
    Climate control is absolutely the key, Acidity plays a huge role with paper products, but all plastic has acidity, therefore so long as the toys can breathe a little (Zoloworld cases are not air tight, neither are the new Matty versions, neither are cardboard backed toys Vintage or new), they will be perfectly fine in Ziploc bags. So long as there is low humidity, Ziploc bags are just fine for storage, humidity can destroy things, but unless you live in a rainforest or something, I don't believe most peoples houses are going to have that much humidity in them.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I actually blew some air in and closed each zip bag to create a bubble around each figure and store them that way to prevent rubbing. Never thought about the moisture factor nor to let the plastic 'breathe' but then again they are to be stored for a max 3 months so I hope no damage will come to them in such a short time I need them packed..
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by robaczek View Post
    I actually blew some air in and closed each zip bag to create a bubble around each figure and store them that way to prevent rubbing. Never thought about the moisture factor nor to let the plastic 'breathe' but then again they are to be stored for a max 3 months so I hope no damage will come to them in such a short time I need them packed..
    I would check them if you can, if you blew in the bags and then sealed them....you could have trapped moisture and the humidity from your breath would be in the bag....I would check them if possible, but if it's been a short short time like that, I would say they'd be OK....but I'd check them regardless, if you just sealed them without blowing into them, I'd say you'd be OK for a little while, but since you trapped extra air in the bags and with moisture....yeah, I would pop them out and look, and at least let the bags air out and leave them open.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I put my figures in totes separated by pieces of paper in layers. And when I say paper, I mean 11 x 17 pieces of printer paper, not newspaper. Everything else seems problematic in that plastics can react to other plastics, foam, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I would check them if you can, if you blew in the bags and then sealed them....you could have trapped moisture and the humidity from your breath would be in the bag....I would check them if possible, but if it's been a short short time like that, I would say they'd be OK....but I'd check them regardless, if you just sealed them without blowing into them, I'd say you'd be OK for a little while, but since you trapped extra air in the bags and with moisture....yeah, I would pop them out and look, and at least let the bags air out and leave them open.
    Thx, I will :-)
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

Any storage suggestions?

Hey guys... I'm just wondering if anyone has any nifty/efficient storage suggestions for MOC MOTUC.

I have had shelves put up in the room i keep them.. but there's only so many shelves i can have/want on my walls.. I have 4 (each fit 4 figures each) So i'm wondering..

Where do you store yours? How do you display them in box? That doesn't requite much effort. My collection will still grow as the next year comes and perhaps the next 2 years. So i'm going to need some space that isn't an eye-sore...

I don't really have table tops etc that are free to put them on.

Any ideas welcome, im interested!

I usually take mine out of the boxes to conserve storage space. But there are some figures I like to keep in the box.

So I dug up an old shoji screen from college. I tore the rice paper out of it. I then can attach figures by their hang tags with ribbon or string, tying them onto the horizontal cross-pieces as needed. I can fill up the front and back (back mostly has POP), but it works well and sort of has that display feel. And it saves a lot of wall space. I can move things around as needed, and it so far has accommodated my commemoratives, POP, and MOTUC packages with the clear hang tags in the back. For figures with weak or missing hang tags, I just attach a binder clip to the top of the package.

0918131844.jpg

I store my Masters Classics figures in large medium depth tupperware containers. You can purchase a pack of 4 for roughly $2 at Wal-mart and they fit MOTUC figures perfectly. I typically pack their accessories in a separate container, but will pack addtl heads and things like that with them if there's room. I then store these containers 24 or so to a plastic bin. Can't speak to MOTU figures as I don't collect them.

I used to go the ziploc baggie route, but noticed some figures tended have odd drooping or bends (especially in their legs and accessories when stored together in a Freezer ziploc or laid on each other for too long in a hot garage. Had to think outside the box, so to speak.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I got moved, thanks for putting it in the right place!

I'm still trying to figure things out, i don't have that much room but like to at least display them as they are MOC.

Liked the shoji idea btw! Just don't know where i'd put something like that...