Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disney's Wreck-it Ralph!

Heroic Warrior
    I heard that the Rhino was from Altered Beast and I also heard that Dr Wily was original in that villian help group but was cut from that seen.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Looks like fun!
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I believe he's an enemy on Altered Beast:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vzJZ2f-MFvU/0.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Ah, thank you. Must be that. I can't think of where else he could be from.
    Sega has confirmed that it is indeed Neff the demon god from Altered Beast.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Here's a supposed "true" list of characters cameos including Kano & Smoke from MK

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cameos_in_Wreck-It_Ralph

I'm still amazed there's the guy from Tapper, an arcade video game with an extremely full frontal explicit Budweiser add in the background
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I wonder why they wouldn't go with Scorpion or Sub-Zero, since they're probably the two best-known/popular characters in the MK franchise.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I wonder why they wouldn't go with Scorpion or Sub-Zero, since they're probably the two best-known/popular characters in the MK franchise.
    They probably have plenty of self esteem.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I feel like I've seen this plot before. It's not exactly Shrek or Megamind because neither of them were bored with the status quo. Maybe Nightmare Before Christmas with games instead of holidays?

It's hard to explain, but I really am turned off by gaming characters in movies (or in general). I think the Warcraft characters look pretty neat (so naturally they aren't in any movies), but I see King Koopa and the other villains in this and I feel as turned off as I would be looking at Pokemon or Twilight. I know, I feel like an old grump and I'm not even 40. "What's wrong with kids today, they're not perfect like I was, and hey GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I feel like I've seen this plot before. It's not exactly Shrek or Megamind because neither of them were bored with the status quo. Maybe Nightmare Before Christmas with games instead of holidays?

It's hard to explain, but I really am turned off by gaming characters in movies (or in general). I think the Warcraft characters look pretty neat (so naturally they aren't in any movies), but I see King Koopa and the other villains in this and I feel as turned off as I would be looking at Pokemon or Twilight. I know, I feel like an old grump and I'm not even 40. "What's wrong with kids today, they're not perfect like I was, and hey GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    You've also heard this before; There are no new story structures, every movie, book tv show out there has been done before in some form, all we can do is deliver it in some different sort of way.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Maybe, it is money issues like with Mario and Luigi for Nintendo. The more popular the character, the more money some companies want.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    They probably have plenty of self esteem.
    I raffed hard at this. Thank you.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I raffed hard at this. Thank you.
    As did I - I was telling people about it this morning. Of course, now I really want to see Scorpion in a self-help group. I can just imagine the conversations.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Yes!!!! Qbert your back!!!! I haven't seen you since Saturday Supercade.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Did anyone see this over the weekend? I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The story was pretty darn good. My only grip (which is minor) is that most of the movie ends up taking place in the (made up for the movie) racing game "Sugar Rush". It's not bad, but I wish there had been some more changes in environments than what there were. Still, it was great overall, and I really want to see it again!

There's a lot of cool cameos and references.

(There's a reference to a particularly famous code from the NES days)

There's also a kind of neat little 'Easter egg' at the very end of the credits. It's not an additional scene or anything like that (so don't expect something like what happens at the end of the Marvel movies). But rather, something neat happens with the Disney logo. Hint (for those who know what I'm talking about), it's a reference to a certain "phenomenon" that happens in the very, VERY rare occasions that people actually reach the very end of some old arcade games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.

It's goes to a Kill Screen (I think it's the Pac-Man kill screen, but I have to see it again to double check). For those who don't know what a kill screen is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_screen

Or in short, these older arcade games (i.e. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong) that would go on "forever" by repeating the same levels over and over, but getting harder, eventually get to a point where the game runs out of programming/code to advance further, often leading to a final stage that (at least in part) looks like a lot of scrambled code. You can play these final stages in many cases, but at the end you just die automatically or the game resets in some way. Generally the games got so difficult that most gamers would never advance far enough to ever see this, but a few really dedicated gamers have done it.

Here's the Pac-Man kill screen:

The end credits are also just kind of fun to watch as there are a lot of cool visuals in the background throughout them.

But more on point, the movie was a lot of fun, and something that I think any gamer would really, really enjoy. Check it out if you haven't already!
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; November 4, 2012 at 09:59pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I enjoyed it a lot, and am glad I had sense to stay through the whole credits. As a guy who still mains Zangief in SF games, I got a kick of reading why the director made him a bad guy despite not really being one outside of some other media (and the director voices him to boot)

Heroic Warrior
    Great movie, I already wish there was a sequal.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Amazing movie. Very original. Absolutely loved it. Kids did as well. Blew away brave which was pixar. I actually think pixar is falling behind and disney itself is clsing the gap. UP, cars2, and BRAVE against tangled, bolt and wrech it ralph??...

Cant wait to talk more about this movie though and about a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    Amazing movie. Very original. Absolutely loved it. Kids did as well. Blew away brave which was pixar. I actually think pixar is falling behind and disney itself is clsing the gap. UP, cars2, and BRAVE against tangled, bolt and wrech it ralph??...

Cant wait to talk more about this movie though and about a plot point.
    Helps with John Lasseter running the show at Disney now. Saw his name at least a couple of times during Ralph's credits.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    This movie was excellent. I went in not sure what to exactly expect and came out very pleased. It was funny, it had a lot of great one liners and puns, it had some awesome video game references in there, not to mention the gaming characters, but used them to advance their own story instead of just relying on those to sell the movie. I am very surprised and happy to see it turn out well. This is probably Disney's best movie since The Princess and the Frog. Heck, I wish this had been a Pixar movie because it was way better than both Brave and Cars 2 combined. Not to mention the short before the movie was incredible in both style and execution.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Not out in Australia until Boxing Day but from the trailer I've seen this look awesome.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    I still liked Brave better then Wreck it Ralph.

Bolt was not good at all.

Tangled is a great movie.

Cars 2 was only made because Disney made them so how hard would try on a money grap project that you didn't want to begin with.

Toy story 3 was awesome.

While Wreck it Ralph and Tangled were the first good disney movies in years, two movies does not make disney better then Pixar.

The more I think about this movie, the more I really, really want to see it again (soon!) and the more I hope we get a sequel.

I keep thinking of some really cool possibilities for a sequel! (I'm putting my thoughts on this in spoiler tags because I will reference a few things from the movie, but they are very minor spoilers at best)...

The events of this movie take place in one specific arcade, and "game central station" as seen in the previews/commercials is actually just the power strip that all of the particular games involved are plugged into, and the characters can use it to pass through to other games, meet up (i.e. the meeting of all of the bad guys), etc.

While I don't want them to completely rehash things done in other movies, I could kind of see them taking something of a queue from the plotline with the secend Buzz Lightyear figure in Toy Story 2 and applying it to a sequel. Perhaps having more than one of the same arcade game plugged into the same power strip, with duplicates of the same characters crossing paths. It would raise an interesting question about the rule (as stated in the movie by Sonic) that if a character dies outside of their own game, they will not regenerate. What if instead of going into a different game, they go into another copy/another machine of the same game they originate from? Would the rule still apply?

Another interesting possibility would be to bring more console games into the mix (I know that some console based characters appear in the movie like Sonic, Eggman, and Bowser, but it's still 'supposed' to be all from arcade games within the plot and context of this film). Maybe as a different take of what I stated above (having two of the same character from different machines meet up) they could have a character from an arcade game meet their console-port counterpart.

Maybe they could even do some kind of joke based on some fighting games in which both players can pick the same character to play as (with a different color scheme), or when more than 1 version of the same character sometimes appears on the select screen or are somehow playable (i.e. "good" Ryu and "Evil" Ryu).

A way to explain this might be to have the arcade close down (as many have), and/or have the Fix It Felix machine get bought by someone into gaming who has a private collection of arcade games, and maybe some consoles as well, which would be an easy way to explain the above idea of getting more console game characters into the mix.

It could create a problem with them trying to reunite with their friends from the other games "Heroes Duty" and "Sugar Rush".

And I'm sure there's even more that they could do than what I'm thinking of here. They need to do a sequel to this ASAP!

I know when this movie comes out on Blu-Ray, I will buy it right away, and I plan to do a back-to-back double feature with this movie and Scott Pilgrim VS. The World!

I don't know, I agree with a lot of what Dragon78 said.

Ironically for me, there's an interesting parallel for my personal interests in the movies that you listed on both sides. On both sides there is one movie that I really loved, one movie that wasn't the best IMO but was still really good, and one movie that I haven't seen....

I absolutely loved Wreck It Ralph, and I really loved Up as well. While the Toy Story 'trilogy' are my absolute favorite Pixar films, after that Monsters Inc and Up are amongst my favorites. Admittedly, I probably enjoyed Wreck It Ralph more than Up, but mainly because I've been a gamer all of my life, with my main interest being in the games of the 80s and 90s (though I still play the current systems), and there were A LOT of references from that era in this movie. So, in that sense 'Ralph' has the advantage just based on the subject matter. So, that's kind of a win for the Disney side, but as King Gilskull pointed out, John Lasseter was involved, specifically he was the execuitve producer, and he originated with Pixar and directed many of their big hits. Also, I have to pay more attention and read it in full, but there was some kind of statement in the ending credits of 'Ralph' thanking the Pixar Team or something like that (by the time I noticed it, it was at the top of the screen scrolling up), so even though this wasn't technically a "Pixar movie", it sounds like there was a lot of help from that side of things, and I think it shows in the end result. This is probably the best non-Pixar movie that Disney has made in a LONG time IMO.

Then there's Cars 2 and Tangled. I enjoyed both of these movies well enough. Neither were "great", but neither were "terrible" either. I didn't think that Cars 2 was as bad as some people made it out to be. Yes, it is a low point for Pixar, but frankly Pixar's low points are still better than many of the mediocre to awful offerings from Dreamworks and even most of the CGI animated films from 'regular' Disney (not including Tangled or Wreck it Ralph). As for Tangled, it got A LOT of praise, and when I finally saw it, I liked it, but I thought it was rather overrated. To me they are both roughly of equal calibur.

As for Bolt and Brave, I haven't seen either of them. The advertising didn't really "pull me in" for either of them. Though Brave looks better than Bolt to me. I'm probably going to go ahead and "blind buy" Brave when it comes out since as I said above, even the 'lesser' Pixar films tend to be pretty good. Bolt just doesn't look good to me at all. Granted, sure, it's hard to fully judge the movie without having seen it, but it just seems to be of a similar calibur as other Disney films like Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons that frankly feel more like the more mediocre films that Dreamworks puts out than what Disney is usually capable of (I'm also not saying that everything that Dreamworks or other animation studios put out is bad, but there tends to be a few stand outs and a lot of very forgettable movies IMO). I did see Meet The Robinsons, and it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it to an extent.... but while I wouldn't refuse to ever watch it again, I doubt that I'll ever go out of my way to do so either.

So, all in all, IMO it's Pixar for the win with these comparisons, though it is kind of close based solely on the movies listed. But when comparing Pixar's overall body of work to the overall CGI offerings of Disney animation (or even almost all of their animation offerings, both CGI and traditional, for a little over a decade now), Pixar wins by miles, with "Ralph" kind of leaning at least a little in Pixar's favor anyway for the previously mentioned reasons.

Heroic Warrior
    If they do a sequal what video games/characters would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    If they do a sequal what video games/characters would you like to see?
    I haven't seen this one yet, but I'd love to see Virtua Fighter characters, ESP Shun Di and I'd like to see NiGHTS, I'll have to add more when I see it

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I have a question to ask some people who have seen the movie

now, I understand the "everyone is ok, even if they have problems" story line that they were giving Sarah Silvermans character, that she "glitched" and its ok to glitch. but storyline wise, doesnt it make much more sense that her GLITCH feature would be directly connected to the fact that Turbo unplugged her from the entire game? there for being sort of a character that was floating around..... I FOR sure thought that she would be released of that issue once she crossed the finish line and was herself again. I am not saying it was bad to KEEP her glitching, but only for story and factual purposes, for me, the glitch should have been connected to her disconnection to the game. Now, that being said, I did not like her being the princess/president at all. i thought that was lame. when Ralph saw her on the side of the console, i thought for sure that 1. she was a hidden unlockable, cool character and her course (in these types of games usually a character has a course, was the course that was hidden as well) so by disconnecting her, Turbo in fact hid the hidden course/character. and they could have played up that this hidden character, if unlocked, was the fastest, coolest, and in fact would reveal, by winning most races and defeating him. I guess what i am saying is i don't mind the route they went, but it didn't flow as natural as i thought it should have....

that being said, i think that overall it had such great heart, and really really can't wait to see it again.

I have a question to ask some people who have seen the movie

that being said, i think that overall it had such great heart, and really really can't wait to see it again.

I kind of expected the same thing regarding the glitch issue, and also thought it was the result of what the King/Turbo did. I even thought (though I could be mistaken) that it was specifically stated (when Ralph finally found out the real truth about her, and NOT what the King/Turbo said) that by having her cross the finish line, it would repair/undo the glitch and she would go back to normal. Maybe I misheard or misunderstood something, but I thought that was the intended result.

So, yeah, I was confused when she continued to glitch even after that happened. It's nice that the kids playing the game got a kick out of her glitch and it was seen as a positive thing, but the problem wasn't actually 'solved' as I thought it was supposed to be.