Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RoboCop Remake on its way

So based on how the movie looked and sorta the no name they chose for the role, I was ready to hate this movie. But was surprisingly awesome? Yeah this was really good. I had a really fun time watching this.

This is a remake of, IMO, a great iconic 80's movie. To the movie's credit, it's not a generic copy like Total Recall or Rob Zombie's Halloween, which made boring versions of fun films. This is a very different re-imagining of Robocop.

It's post 9/11, post Iraq, post Afganistan, it's even post drones. Omnicorp has successfully replaced our soldiers overseas with military robots, including ED-209's. And it's been a success in the sense that our troops will no longer have to die internationally. But do we want these in the U.S. replacing police officers? There's a law blocking Omnicorp from making the move, so they create Robocop to humanize and sell the idea to citizens and then pass it in congress.

There's a surprising amount of social commentary in the movie about drones, the media, and how much power do want to give the government and law enforcement for the safety of American lives. Pretty simplistic, but entertaining.

For a PG-13 movie, they make really good use of the violence and action in the movie. It's a really well shot action movie. Should have gone for the R-rating though.

Really strong supporting cast with Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, Jackie Earl Haley, and Jay Bureschel. The guy that played Robocop I feel could have been played by anyone. He wasn't bad, I mean I liked him, but we barely got to know him before he gets Robocopp'd.

The movie does all the right things, without resorting to copying the original in terms of story, and I'd love to see a sequel.

See it for a fun action movie. Despite all the social commentary aspects, it's really just a good Robocop movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I thought it was really enjoyable and it totally surpassed my expectations. I hope you like it.
    We both loved it. The original movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and I thought this new one was a good movie too. Not as godly as the original, but it didn't try to be either. It was a solid action sci-fi - movie with lots of good themes that provoked thoughts and discussion. We talked at lenght about transhumanism, media, free will, human imperfection and other stuff after the movie.

The little nods to the past of the franchise were a great touch too.

I'd give this one a 4/5, or 90% on tomato-meter. The original is a 5/5 or 100% on tomato-meter
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Man, I really was looking forward to this. I was going to go with my wife and a big group of friends today but I had a fever of 102 last night. Definitely going to have to wait a bit now.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Just saw it. REALLY LOVED IT!!!! I went into it expecting to be sorely disappointed like I was with Terminator Salvation, but was proven wrong. HUGE fan of the original, and I loved the use of the RoboCop theme. Go watch this movie... Now!!!!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

My wife and I saw it yesterday and LOVED it. Excellent reboot IMO.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; February 17, 2014 at 06:17am.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Ditto what others have said. Sure, it's not the original, but I absolutely LOVED this movie. Really fun, and really pretty well done overall I though. Liked how he seems to have gone back to the classic look. I would put this up with Dredd as a great reboot of a "meh" franchise (say what you will, Robocop went downhill after the first movie).

Definitely grabbing this one when it comes out on blu-ray.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I think I'll watch a movie that is, you know, more original.

We're going to be the epitome of Mike Judge's Idiocracy soon.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I just got back from seeing it and my initial thought is that it was pretty good.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Well, after seeing it, I'm completely disappointed and in many ways I have to agree with Movie Bob here. Guess what, there's spoilers in the video LOL

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Movie Bob
    Wow. Just lost 6 minutes of my life listening to this guy. Completely reminds me of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. He ranted on and on about how poor this movie was because it didn't do what the 1987 movie did. He completely missed that the director didn't go for making a carbon copy of the original.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

This guy is much better

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m really annoyed at the amount of reviews I’ve seen and read lambasting this because it’s not the original. I think a lot of professional critics forget that this is trying to be its own film, and thus, asks for them to judge it as such. Reminds me of a lot of the negative reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 17, 2014 at 08:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m really annoyed at the amount of reviews I’ve seen and read lambasting this because it’s not the original. I think a lot of professional critics forgot that this is trying to be its own film, and thus, asks for them to judge it as such. Reminds me of a lot of the negative reviews of The Amazing Spider-Man.
    Well to be fair The Amazing Spider-Man really did suck
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I second that statement.

Going sooooooooo Off-Topic here, but the Amazing Spider-Man was an awesome movie me thinks! If this merits a longer exchange of thoughts, we should probably necro the old TAS-thread up.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I second that statement.
    And do you think the Raimi movies were better?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Of course, I do. And to stay on topic like Heidi said, HarryCanyon, the original Robocop would mop the floor with RebootCop any day of the week.

Heroic Warrior
    Of course, I do. And to stay on topic like Heidi said, HarryCanyon, the original Robocop would mop the floor with RebootCop any day of the week.
    Do you wish Disney would had gotten back Spider-Man rights and have him part of the MCU? and were you disappointed the reboot of Robocop wasn't rated R? i mean a remake to an r-rated classic with a talented director and good writers can work if it respects the original and it's DNA/original rating rather than selling out for a PG-13 rating, remembered the last time they tried a PG-13 Robocop 21 years ago? it didn't go well and MGM should had learned it's lesson.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Saw this with my brother last night. Thought the end was a but lacking but over all the movie was good. Lots of great actors!

Heroic Warrior
    Do you wish Disney would had gotten back Spider-Man rights and have him part of the MCU? and were you disappointed the reboot of Robocop wasn't rated R? i mean a remake to an r-rated classic with a talented director and good writers can work if it respects the original and it's DNA/original rating rather than selling out for a PG-13 rating, remembered the last time they tried a PG-13 Robocop 21 years ago? it didn't go well and MGM should had learned it's lesson.

I've seen this a lot and just tend to roll my eyes.

What part of 'Robocop' NEEDS to be rated R? Violence? The Rated R of 30 years ago is closer to the PG-13 of today. Look at the Rambo movies. In the 80's they had explosions and guns everywhere.... in the 2000's they have people gutted with their intestines flopping out...

PG-13 is fine for violence. Everything you need it to be, will still be there. Heck, the first dozen times I saw the original was edited for TV (which they did back then...) and it was still awesome

What else is 'needed'? Boobs? Why?? Its the story of a Cyborg... Swearing? Why? What does it add to the plot?

Most 'R' rated movies are just pandering to a checklist in order to be able to brag that they have reached rated R... A few sex scenes X number of F-bombs... This doesn't make a better movie.

Robocop at its' heart was at one part a Satirical look at American values. On the other part it was the story of what makes a man, and can a robot still have a soul.... Nothing about either of those parts requires gore, boobs or F-bombs...

Frankly most people I know have forgotten just how violent the original was. They remember the actor... they remember some broad strokes of the plot... then they remember their toys, cartoons, tv series, comics and a dozen other Robocop properties.

It was a massive franchise back in the 80s-90's and only 2 parts were actually 'R'

Does this mean the remake is good? I have no idea... I hope to see it next weekend. I HATE the black 'robo-ninja' look and wasn't fond of the actor in the 'killing' series... ubt that may have been his character. The movie MAY suck... but honestly I've been hearing good things, and nothing I've seen makes me think it HAS to suck....

Why does that sound like a negative comment because...Damn right I do. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I love the Raimi Spider-Man movies, in fact my one and only real grip with them was how they handled Venom (one of my fave comic book characters), but I still LOVE the movies

Do you wish Disney would had gotten back Spider-Man rights and have him part of the MCU? .
    Yes. Again damn right I do. I love the idea of the shared universe that the Marvel movies have going, I love the fact that any of the characters can make an appearance in any of the movies and that they can all get together now and then to fight some big threat that takes the entire team. I want to see Iron Man flying past the Baxter Building. I want to see Bruce Banner glance over a Daily Bugle article about the "wall crawling menace." I want them to get ALL the rights back from those that have them so that potentially all of their characters can be part of this huge shared world.

But this is about Rebootcop

Still not seen it

Still don't want to see it

May never see it

The trailer alone comes close to putting me to sleep.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I saw this movie last week in Italy and I loved it. I was a great fan of Robocop and I think it's a good remake/reboot.
    Do you know if it had gained a lot?
    Will they make a second movie?