Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread June 2012

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Okay, I see the differences...it's in the chin.

So this is Simplified Animated Design, the Filmation equivalent of Hyper Anime Detail?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

What they will do is give the Filmation Hordak as pretty much a complete repaint, but then add in Imp and other little things people want, like arm attachments or something.

Or what if they gave us the same head, but molded new armor to have all the little bones on Filmation Hordak. I guess I would like someone to give specific details to the Filmation Hordak head they are talking about, cuz the picture up there shows they are pretty similar, without looking cartoony.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://drh1.img.digitalriver.com/DRH...sizeimage3.jpg
    http://www.itusozluk.com/image/hordak_63667.jpg

So this is Simplified Animated Design, the Filmation equivalent of Hyper Anime Detail?
    Looks that way....but I do guess the Classics head would work, if they painted it 2 shades of white, or grey accents, and the blue ridge detail....and they did the buck right....H Hordak right arm, Left arm with the standard bracelet, short loin cloth, no gloves, no cape (Horde Prime cowl)....feet I guess would be the same, pack him with Imp, and the Horde Prime Staff.

so...
    Standard chest
    Standard abs
    Standard Biceps (non reversed L=Left....not Right)
    Standard shoulders (non reversed L=Left....not Right)
    Tri-Klops Left forearm
    H Hordak right forearm
    He-Man loin cloth
    Standard thighs
    Standard calf tops
    Hordak head (with proper Filmation based coloring)
    Hordak Boots & Feet
    Hordak Armor (or even a new FIlmation styled sideless armor with the bone ribbing, but whatever)
    Horde Prime cowl
    Horde armbands

Imp

Horde Prime staff

All would be reused parts except a possible new armor, HP staff & Imp....look at all the crap DB Skeletor has new, and TP He-Man....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 7, 2012 at 11:50pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Looks that way....but I do guess the Classics head would work,
    No, using the classics head would not work. Hordak's Filmation head is much better proportioned not only in relation to his body, but also to itself. The vintage head always bothered me, even as a child, because it's too big and far uglier than Hordak's much better designed Filmation/Norem head. Mattel needs to finally fix this. I absolutely don't want to see this variant of Hordak in figure form until they do, even if it means less accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    No, using the classics head would not work. Hordak's Filmation head is much better proportioned not only in relation to his body, but also the head itself. The vintage head always bothered me, even as a child, because it's too big and far uglier than Hordak's much better designed Filmation/Norem head. Mattel needs to finally fix this.
    I get that, I'm not much on the Classics or the Vintage Hordak head for that matter, and I fully support the call for Full on Filmation heads....albeit they don't have to be cartoonish to still have Filmation proportions and looks. All I am saying is that it would or rather could work....not that it would be the full or the proper way to go.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any simplified, cartoonish looks in classics either. There's no reason why they can't do a Filmation style Hordak head with the great details that have become the hallmark of this line.

I've put up two more answers. One is going to get much criticism...

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want any simplified, cartoonish looks in classics either. There's no reason why they can't do a Filmation style Hordak head with the great details that have become the hallmark of this line.
    This is what I am saying, they can do a new Hordak head, that is smaller, and more square jawed, that looks only 50% like the Classics head, basically in resemblance alone....and 50% different is well more than enough to justify it. If you actually look, there is much more detail to Hordak's Filmation cartoon appearance than there is in He-Man & Skeletor together. I would be happy with He-Man, Skeletor & Mer-Man Filmation heads, but Hordak does need a full variant done properly....but a stand in to get one could possibly use the parts list I made above, but a full on Filmation head would make it almost 100% accurate.

Let me be the first....AHEM....OK...

I've heard this a lot and the bottom line is if we put more money and resources into videos we need to take that away from the toys. Personally I'd rather put as many accessories and deco hits in the toys as possible. If fans would prefer we cost reduce the toys for higher quality preview videos, please let us know! ;-)
    What TF? you mean to tell me a multi billion dollar company would have to take money away from a toy line to buy a $500 HD camera? Or Scott with the money he makes doesn't own one? You would think that he'd want to look as professional as possible with the vids, even though they are casual, my old VCR records HD better than those videos look. I guess MOTU isn't the only thing from the 80's still being used.

Mattel writes off more in a year than a new camera would cost, and even that could be written off, any excuse to make MOTUC cost more, and the "If the fans would like us to X instead of them getting Y please let us know" BS is arrogant and annoying.

OK, I am done...

Seriously though, I get the vids are casual, and not real reviews, but it was yet another arrogant answer and attempt to be funny, and a complete put down to the fans simply asking for a better quality video.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 8, 2012 at 12:15am.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I think both those answers were fine. I dont think the intent of the video is to give close up, highly detailed pictures of the figures. It is to get us talking and guessing. These are probably prototypes anyways and he doesnt want people crying foul when the production piece doesnt look identicle.

Then the thing with MAA, why not? At least they didnt cheapen it by Snake-ifying any important characters. I am good with both answers.

Yep, the videos are fine as-is. I'm not sure the people who say "just go buy a camera, Mattel is a big company" have actually worked for a big company! Unless it's Google or Facebook or something. You don't just get to go do that for something that really is just an extra TG is doing, not a critical marketing function. Personally, I just enjoy what we've got—we get a ton of great sites who do in-depth and up-close reviews later.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Yep, the videos are fine as-is. I'm not sure the people who say "just go buy a camera, Mattel is a big company" have actually worked for a big company! Unless it's Google or Facebook or something. You don't just get to go do that for something that really is just an extra TG is doing, not a critical marketing function. Personally, I just enjoy what we've got—we get a ton of great sites who do in-depth and up-close reviews later.
    I worked for stores, apartment complexes and factories that have told me, go get what you need and write it off, even as high as $600 for a set of tools....used for personal and business use....Mattel can't do that as well?....if it's for business use, it gets a write off, and if a small hole in the wall company can do it, Mattel surely could. Hell the Government does it, so why not Mattel?

I have also dabbled in taxes when I owned my own contracting business, so long as it's listed for business use, it can be deducted....a camera for a toy company is not a huge deal....

Not only that my Mom owns an HD video camera, she paid $350 for it, it takes awesome video up to 1080p....I would use her camera for it....if I was in his position, but you'd bet I'd have my own with what Scott makes.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Uhhhh.... they can shoot HD video with their Phones and do a direct upload, its not like they do editing anyway. But whatever, they cant even get their toys right and their a toy company, you guys shouldnt expect them to understand video.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

We can get heads for Queen Marlena, Orko, Cringer, She-Ra, Bow, Adora, Catra, Frosta and Shadow Weaver, but Hordak's Filmation head somehow doesn't fit the style of Classics? No wonder people ask the same questions...
    Exactly!! They made new sculpts for BG Evil Lyn, BG Teela and SMAA, all variants...they can make a cyborg looking head for Hordak as well and still have it work for the style of the current Classics line!

TG: "When we translate a character into "Classics" from other lines such as Filmation or 200X we will be using Classics parts as part of the current style. So likley if we did a "blue skinned Filmation Hordak" he would use the exisiting head. (for Classics). This doesn't mean we couldn't one day do a full on animated line with a Filmation sculpted head, but this would not work for the style of the current Classics line."

WHAT A WEAK ANSWER! Chief Carnivous already is a part of this "animated" line TG speaks of...

Surely the 4H can translate Filmation Hordak into Classics with ease and this new look can fit TG's bios.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    But Scott is head of Marketing (according to his title at NYCC) for the Matty properties.

A better cam and lighting and some creativity would SELL more toys. We have been saying that about the bad photos they use on mattycollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    I've heard this a lot and the bottom line is if we put more money and resources into videos we need to take that away from the toys. Personally I'd rather put as many accessories and deco hits in the toys as possible. If fans would prefer we cost reduce the toys for higher quality preview videos, please let us know! ;-)
    "Please let us know?" and ";-)"

WHY does he have to be so snarky? Does he NOT understand that his CUSTOMERS are asking for a bit more care in the marketing of this line? His JOB is marketing.

Whatever, it's not a big deal for us. It just makes him look amateurish in the long run. If he's fine with that, fine.

I'm so done even trying to understand some of the things Scott says or does. Whenever anyone asks a legitimately good question about sales or marketing, he seems to get VERY snarky. This answer was not friendly.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

The video answer is awful, and not worth a reply.
    The snake guard answer is silly, especially as it doesn't even mesh with MYP, where the serpent's ring was destroyed before Hssss could do anything else. I consider the reptilian guard to be just some other species.

We can get heads for Queen Marlena, Orko, Cringer, She-Ra, Bow, Adora, Catra, Frosta and Shadow Weaver, but Hordak's Filmation head somehow doesn't fit the style of Classics? No wonder people ask the same questions...
    Those are all primarily filmation characters. Figures will look like their main source material, you know this! Classics toys and artwork. Non-motu vintage characters (ie: PoP) will look like how they might have in the vintage line.
    Honestly, anyone should be able to predict how any figure will look at this point.

The style of Classics is whatever some Mattel exec wants it to be.
    Pick a character, and I'll make a bet with you on how it will look, lol. It's not as arbitrary as some make it out to be.

Heroic Warrior

Yeah... I see a difference too... just not a BIG one.

honestly, I like the MOTUC head better then the filmation one... If it was all painted white, it would look pretty close. Looks like it even has the lines under the eyes (just painted grey.)

If they painted that head white and colored in the bones on the hood, I'd be fine with that as filmation hordak.

Any resculpt would be a bit too much like Stinkor for me... where head A and Head B look entirely too similar to justify the trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    But Scott is head of Marketing (according to his title at NYCC) for the Matty properties.

A better cam and lighting and some creativity would SELL more toys. We have been saying that about the bad photos they use on mattycollector.com
    I understand your point, and it's a very good one and quite logical. But you just kind of made my point for me. It took them years to get access to the Mattel photo lab to take better pics of the figures. For you or I, we might go "why can't they just use the lab?" just as we can go "why can't they just buy a camera?" Things that make perfect sense and the way corporations run do not always coincide.

If people haven't noticed, the toy industry has been tightening their belts a lot lately. $500 might not seem like a lot to a huge company like Mattel, but very often in these situations justification must be made for expenditures even at that level. And that's not always easy to put through if it's seen as not necessary. MOTUC has done just fine for years without these video. They are not necessary, and that has already been proven.

They are just fun icing on the cake that clearly TG is just doing on the side and very quickly. It's fine for people to say they'd like clearer videos. In fact, I'd love it too! But it's another thing to just expect it and get angry and disgusted when TG and Mattel don't hop right to fan suggestions or scoff at the reasons given. There is ZERO reason for TG NOT to get a "better" camera if there wasn't something holding him back. It's not like he's posting these at a lower resolution to spite any one!

Can we please, as fans, just for ONCE accept that there might be some very good reasons and move on? Especially for these videos that we've gone years and years not even having? No? Okay, okay it was worth a shot. But, I mean, if we didn't get PD's awesome reviews I could understand it, but we do. We get them, they have great production value, and they usually come well ahead of a sell date.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Well....Well....Well !!!!!

Yet another TG's "I am From Mattel........ And I Tell What The Fans Want" attitude reflection ! It's as similar as Triple H's "I Am The Game.... Because I Am That Damn Good" Quote !
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Heroic Warrior
    Love the videos but...

Is there any chance that a HD camera could be used to take them. The 1080p is as fuzzy as the 360p aside from the extra crisp overlays. Thank you however for the great videos otherwise. I hope DCIE will be getting as much attention as CE in a few years!

LOL... been getting alot of "ultimatum" answers lately. I'm sure the video production budget is seperate from the toy budget. If I had his paycheck, I'd go out and buy my own HD camera and make better videos... because I have that kind of pride in what I do.

And here's a few theories: Maybe the videos are crappy on purpose... Why would we want HD close ups when all we will see are the faults that are obviously meant to be hidden from our naked eyes?

These videos are probably part of the brand manager's portfolio. Video quality is not important, only that he is in them and they reflect on the product. These videos are probably part of a series of presentations that he must give for promotional reasons.... again, just therories.
    Last edited by mekaneckpain; June 8, 2012 at 09:10am.

Heroic Warrior
    More BS or downright rude answers from "the guru"... I begin to think about ignoring these uninformative Q&A's and MOTUC news threads. The ONLY real info we get nowadays is when new figures are revealed or previewed.

Heroic Warrior
    http://drh1.img.digitalriver.com/DRH...sizeimage3.jpg
    http://www.itusozluk.com/image/hordak_63667.jpg

I wonder, why they can make an Alcala head fitting in Classics, but not a Hordak Filmation head?

Where is the difference?

I won`t buy a straight repaint without any new sculpted parts at this point of the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I wonder, why they can make an Alcala head fitting in Classics, but not a Hordak Filmation head?

Where is the difference?

I won`t buy a straight repaint without any new sculpted parts at this point of the line...
    Blame TG's "selfish" Classicizer Machine for that ! It only "works" in his favor...... For fans, it will be faulty all time !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Heroic Warrior
    Berserker79: That is exactly what this is all about. If you can have a different head style for Skeletor there is no reason why a Hordak variant shouldn't have an extra head.

People check out this poll I made about Filmation Hordak:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...tyle-quot-head

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Those are all primarily filmation characters. Figures will look like their main source material, you know this! Classics toys and artwork. Non-motu vintage characters (ie: PoP) will look like how they might have in the vintage line.
    Honestly, anyone should be able to predict how any figure will look at this point.

Pick a character, and I'll make a bet with you on how it will look, lol. It's not as arbitrary as some make it out to be.
    We can get two stylistically different heads for Skeletor, but not Hordak? Classics makes realistic Filmation heads too. That's my issue. That's why these decisions seem arbitrary, if we've seen them done for other characters.

NO Filmation Head for Filmation Hordak ??????????? Really ? Really ? REALLY TG ? Are you SERIOUS with this ? Well, call me rude..... But silly, sloppy answers like this make you look like a Hardcore Anti-Filmation Variants Fan ! As a fan personally, you have ALL the rights to... But as a Brand Manager, YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THE FANS LIKING !!!

MGM has made a clever, brilliant point which Scott can never... ever deny ! So far the 4HM have “translated” Adora, She-Ra, Catra, Bow & Marlena from cartoon to MOTUC figures perfectly WITHOUT any issues. The figures are perfect & they do “FIT” with the rest without any problems (Can anybody deny that ?). But suddenly when comes to Filmation Hordak & Skeletor, We are geting utterly annoying excuses like “Oh..... It would not work & fit in classics well (But Mind You.... The Alcala Head Can)" !

I am also annoyed whenever he keeps saying “we have no plans of doing an animated line right now”. The fact is that, NOBODY is looking for an Animated Line Filmation Variants on your “One Day” which is set to begin on December, 2087 ! We already waited nearly 30 freakin years for THIS ! Asking us to “wait” AGAIN is totally....totally UNFAIR !

I guess this faulty “Classicizer Machice” will work ONLY in Scotts favour ! Sure, this guy has done good things for this line..... But for Filmation (variant) Fans, all he does nothing but “A Kick In The Gut” with a “SCREW YOU” attitude !!