Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread June 2012

Heroic Warrior
    I do not support Filmation sculpted heads. If they make a Filmation Hordak head they'll be setting a precedence. What I do support is the Filmation Hordak color scheme and "bone" trim around his armor and hood. All they need to do is make a new hood and chest piece with "bone" accents and repaint him in Filmation colors. They can use the Hurricane Hordak right arm and make a few new weapons for it including a hand. Imp would be a cool accessory as well.

Voalla... Battleground Hordak.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    LOL... been getting alot of "ultimatum" answers lately. I'm sure the video production budget is seperate from the toy budget. If I had his paycheck, I'd go out and buy my own HD camera and make better videos... because I have that kind of pride in what I do.
    In fairness, we don't know what TG's paycheck looks like, and I wouldn't expect him to pay out of his own pocket for marketing the line.

That said, I'm quite sure you are right about the marketing budget being separate from the toy production budget; the brinksmanship strategy TG seems to like so much is fast becoming his default setting, even where it doesn't seem logical (and in this case the snark is back). Put the money together they've saved on advertising in the now defunct Toy Fare magazine and get a camera all the brands can use (sharing is a nice thing ).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    If they plan to do a Filmation style Hordak, then I want a new head - using the existing one simply isn't acceptable.
    Why does he need a new head? There is nothing different other than detailing, which the Filmatoin head lacks.

BTW, why is everyone response from TG either vague or doom and gloom?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    I do not support Filmation sculpted heads. If they make a Filmation Hordak head they'll be setting a precedence. What I do support is the Filmation Hordak color scheme and "bone" trim around his armor and hood. All they need to do is make a new hood and chest piece with "bone" accents and repaint him in Filmation colors. They can use the Hurricane Hordak right arm and make a few new weapons for it including a hand. Imp would be a cool accessory as well.

Voalla... Battleground Hordak.
    THIS is how a Filmation Hordak should be in Classics :-

Basic Tri-Klops Buck In Blue WITH :-

(New) Filmation Head
    (New) Bone Bordered Cowl
    (New) Bone Bordered Armour WITHOUT Belly Visibility
    Tri-Klops Right Hand With Kronis/Trap-Jaw Removable Peg
    Alternate Hurricane Hordak Right Hand With Kronis/Trap Jaw Removable Peg
    Hordak Shins & Boots

Accessories :-

Hordak In “Rocket” Form !

Why New Head ? Since Hordak is a cyborg now & affected with techno virus, he absolutely needs to have a new face with metallic parts !
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I do not support Filmation sculpted heads. If they make a Filmation Hordak head they'll be setting a precedence.
    Classics had set a precedence ever since we got two Mer-Man heads in different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Why does he need a new head? There is nothing different other than detailing, which the Filmatoin head lacks.
    You could say that about Alcala Skeletor compared to the Cardback Skeletor head or Cardback Mer-Man compared to the original toy head. Other than colors, Filmation Hordak has more of a jawline.

I show both heads on page two.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Then people should stop asking the same questions, lol. They should know the answer by now. Repeating the question won't change what the classic style entails.
    As other folks have mentioned in this thread, they should just give the fans what they want. I don't understand why Mattel always has to give us a hard time on these non-issues. Are the rules so arbitrary because employees want to put their own personal stamp on this line? If they're sooo worried about "confusing mothers", then just don't include that particular version of Hordak when/if this line goes to retail. Frankly, Vykron will cause more confusion than this variant.
    Last edited by Tallstar; June 8, 2012 at 11:47am.

Mattel quotes fixed:

It is up to the Horsemen and Mattel design to make the final choices on these things. While we do look at online posts, we don't always give the fans what they want even when it's logistically possible!

When we translate a character into "Classics" from other lines such as Filmation or 200X we will be using Classics parts as part of the current style. So likley if we did a "blue skinned Filmation Hordak" he would use the exisiting head. (for Classics). When we decide not to include second heads we tell you it is because they don't fit the "Classics" style. However, the "Classics" style will sometimes change on a figure by figure basis at our discretion, yet still remain a great excuse for us to hide behind later!
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    Why doesn't someone just link Toyguru a pic of the custom Hordak head by Kevin Kosse to prove it can be done in Classics style?

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Why doesn't someone just link Toyguru a pic of the custom Hordak head by Kevin Kosse to prove it can be done in Classics style?
    I nominate you!
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

The snake guard answer is silly, especially as it doesn't even mesh with MYP, where the serpent's ring was destroyed before Hssss could do anything else. I consider the reptilian guard to be just some other species.
    This is why I have always thought Scott is just a brand manager first and a very casual fan a distant second. There is NOTHING wrong with that, but he doesn't seem familiar, at times, with things big fans would know. Again, that's fine, but I wish he would just cater to the hardcore fans desires more often.

It's missteps like this that give him away.

I also read this as a "buy lots More Palace Guard sets when we put them back on sale!!"

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    They are just fun icing on the cake that clearly TG is just doing on the side and very quickly. It's fine for people to say they'd like clearer videos. In fact, I'd love it too! But it's another thing to just expect it and get angry and disgusted when TG and Mattel don't hop right to fan suggestions or scoff at the reasons given. There is ZERO reason for TG NOT to get a "better" camera if there wasn't something holding him back. It's not like he's posting these at a lower resolution to spite any one!

Can we please, as fans, just for ONCE accept that there might be some very good reasons and move on? Especially for these videos that we've gone years and years not even having? No? Okay, okay it was worth a shot. But, I mean, if we didn't get PD's awesome reviews I could understand it, but we do. We get them, they have great production value, and they usually come well ahead of a sell date.
    I just want to say that I'm not angry about the videos. I think they are fun. My point was that it makes him look bad I don't believe that Mattel can't afford a $120 camera, and a standing light. Non-profit theater companies I've worked for have more expensive equipment for use with publicity and marketing. I refuse to believe that Mattel doesn't have a stock of equipment used for this kind of thing. It smacks of laziness, to be blunt.

The real problem here is that a lot of people don't believe Scott about things because he often contradicts himself.

That coupled with the idea that Mattel might not already keep a stock of equipment for use in marketing and presentation is just kind of sad

That's what I'm saying. I'm not angry. I don't get angry about this kind of thing... More bewildered
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    In fairness, we don't know what TG's paycheck looks like, and I wouldn't expect him to pay out of his own pocket for marketing the line.

That said, I'm quite sure you are right about the marketing budget being separate from the toy production budget; the brinksmanship strategy TG seems to like so much is fast becoming his default setting, even where it doesn't seem logical (and in this case the snark is back). Put the money together they've saved on advertising in the now defunct Toy Fare magazine and get a camera all the brands can use (sharing is a nice thing ).
    Actually, I'll take back what I said and say... I wouldn't even make a video. That is obviously Pixel D's department so I wouldn't even step on his toes in that regard.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I nominate you!
    Yeah... I think he already has enough reasons to dislike me lol.

Scott is horrible at giving good PR to HIS brand. His answers are just junk, especially to the questions he doesn't want to respond to. Its good to know that not one Mattel employee in his department owns an iPhone or HD camera they are willing to share for his videos. But buying one would kill the line so I'm glad he isn't shuffling all of the budget to preview videos.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Classics had set a precedence ever since we got two Mer-Man heads in different styles.

You could say that about Alcala Skeletor compared to the Cardback Skeletor head or Cardback Mer-Man compared to the original toy head. Other than colors, Filmation Hordak has more of a jawline.

Valid point. I see no difference between an Alcala head and a Filmation Hordak head.

Most importantly, the Alcala head was a success!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    This is why I have always thought Scott is just a brand manager first and a very casual fan a distant second. There is NOTHING wrong with that, but he doesn't seem familiar, at times, with things big fans would know. Again, that's fine, but I wish he would just cater to the hardcore fans desires more often.

It's missteps like this that give him away.

I also read this as a "buy lots More Palace Guard sets when we put them back on sale!!"
    I don't want to speak for what he knows, but yeah, it's a weird answer to give. Similar to when he claimed that the Sorceress was meant to die because of MYP, when she was clearly healing up for the ordeal on the show. Something else similar too, I forget though.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Okay, you can have a filmation Hordak head. But he'll come with a future Demo-man variant, and it will be green

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As other folks have mentioned in this thread, they should just give the fans what they want. I don't understand why Mattel always has to give us a hard time on these non-issues. Are the rules so arbitrary because employees want to put their own personal stamp on this line? If they're sooo worried about "confusing mothers", then just don't include that particular version of Hordak when/if this line goes to retail. Frankly, Vykron will cause more confusion than this variant.
    I honestly just think you guys are better off hounding them for a filmation-based line.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Some of these answers might be questionable, but I'd rather read these than get hit with silence like Bandai is doing with ThunderCats.

I honestly just think you guys are better off hounding them for a filmation-based line.
    I don't think we don't need a Filmation-based line. Just port a few of the characters over onto Classic bucks, with some Filmation based elements such as colors, heads, armor, weapons and accessories. Most could have new stuff, while some are mostly repaints. Fans will get the versions of figures that they've always wanted fitting in with all of the others: He-Man, Teela, Randor, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Trap Jaw, Clawful, Tung Lashor, Hordak, Modulok and Multi-Bot. Maybe Man-At-Arms or Leech.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 8, 2012 at 02:08pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Wow... people now are complaining about the videos?...

Seriously guys, I get a bit annoyed about some of Mattel's/DR business-"plan" every now and then, but questioning every single thing they do and think of it as this huge conspiracy is both, ridiculous and pathetic...
    I wonder how you'd all fare if a bunch of 30-somethings scrutinized your every move/word @ your job?...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I think they should give a varient slot to a head pack as well, I don't think anyone would be too upset with knocking out a couple varients in one swoop since that's all that's really needed for some of them (ie. filmation Skeletor, He-man, and Mer-man)!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Wow... people now are complaining about the videos?...

Seriously guys, I get a bit annoyed about some of Mattel's/DR business-"plan" every now and then, but questioning every single thing they do and think of it as this huge conspiracy is both, ridiculous and pathetic...
    I wonder how you'd all fare if a bunch of 30-somethings scrutinized your every move/word @ your job?...
    Ok, take it easy. We all have the right to debate even the smallest of topics. That's what forums and discussion boards are for, right?

I don't want to speak for what he knows, but yeah, it's a weird answer to give. Similar to when he claimed that the Sorceress was meant to die because of MYP, when she was clearly healing up for the ordeal on the show. Something else similar too, I forget though.

Okay, you can have a filmation Hordak head. But he'll come with a future Demo-man variant, and it will be green

OK then, no more anything other than Vintage styling in Classics at all, no more 200X hints and "inspired by" no more second heads for anyone, because everything HAS TO BE in Classics style.

so no more 200X based or inspired heads

no more Concept characters, because all of those were either based on drawings or really old un made prototype figures

no more 200X inspired weapons at all, so no Keldor swords or SMAA canon....

if they can't do a more truer Filmation head than no more of the other stuff either anymore....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Two things I've noticed about the respones to the whole camera/video debacle.

#1 Some fans need to learn the true financial meaning of the term "write-off." It does NOT mean the item is magically free.

#2 It is extremely rude and presumptious of a fan to speculate on Scott's salary and his personal finance decisions.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    Scott is horrible at giving good PR to HIS brand. His answers are just junk, especially to the questions he doesn't want to respond to. Its good to know that not one Mattel employee in his department owns an iPhone or HD camera they are willing to share for his videos. But buying one would kill the line so I'm glad he isn't shuffling all of the budget to preview videos.
    I disagree, I think he's doing a great job with what he's given (ie. the camera...he didn't HAVE to do videos at all and something is better than nothing) and as far as stock answers....thats what most PR companies do. It keeps things consistant and quite frankly some of the questions are repetative and terribly worded so what do people expect? If the questions were well thought out and very specific with better examples and a little time and effort put into them, then maybe we could get better answers.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    OK then, no more anything other than Vintage styling in Classics at all, no more 200X hints and "inspired by" no more second heads for anyone, because everything HAS TO BE in Classics style.
    All those things are in the classics style. The style includes the cartoons for cartoon based characters, but not for those based on toys or artwork toys.

so no more 200X based or inspired heads
    Those are already retired, lol. For the same reason.

no more Concept characters, because all of those were either based on drawings or really old un made prototype figures

no more 200X inspired weapons at all, so no Keldor swords or SMAA canon....
    None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand. I think there will be plenty of filmation accessories and such forthcoming. Not to mention characters, the most important thing.

if they can't do a more truer Filmation head than no more of the other stuff either anymore....
    That has never been part of the line. I'm sorry but if people are only here because they want filmation variants, they're collecting the wrong line.

But by all means ask Scott the same question again and get angry when he gives the same answer he's given for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post

#1 Some fans need to learn the true financial meaning of the term "write-off." It does NOT mean the item is magically free.

#2 It is extremely rude and presumptious of a fan to speculate on Scott's salary and his personal finance decisions.
    Writing something off, means that you can deduct it from your taxes, and in essence makes it reduced or possibly paid back, I have done it many times, and have broken even with what I spent vs what I got back.

It's not rude, because we never speculated how much he makes, but I guarantee you it's well more than most of us make, and some of us could afford a $500 camera with what we make, let alone with what he possibly makes, that was the point, no one tried to put a number to his salary.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Ok, take it easy. We all have the right to debate even the smallest of topics. That's what forums and discussion boards are for, right?
    Not really, since this is not a public forum and privately owned... Thoughtful discussions is one thing, brat-rants is something completely different

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post

I completely agree with both!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I disagree, I think he's doing a great job with what he's given (ie. the camera...he didn't HAVE to do videos at all and something is better than nothing) and as far as stock answers....thats what most PR companies do. It keeps things consistant and quite frankly some of the questions are repetative and terribly worded so what do people expect? If the questions were well thought out and very specific with better examples and a little time and effort put into them, then maybe we could get better answers.

Writing something off, means that you can deduct it from your taxes, and in essence makes it reduced or possibly paid back, I have done it many times, and have broken even with what I spent vs what I got back.

It's not rude, because we never speculated how much he makes, but I guarantee you it's well more than most of us make, and some of us could afford a $500 camera with what we make, let alone with what he possibly makes, that was the point, no one tried to put a number to his salary.
    If the Company WANTS AND NEEDS the camera, yes... but you cannot just buy anything you want like that... people don't understand how a company with different brands work... this is the case...

Assuming TG makes more money than most of us is both disrespectful and completely uncalled for... seriously... Some people don't know where to draw the line...
    Last edited by KUZEH; June 8, 2012 at 02:55pm.
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!