Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel/TG ignores Slush Head articulation proof

Mattel/TG ignores Slush Head articulation proof

Im at a loss for words. Can you believe this!?

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/1981014067

He totally ignored the evidence and regurgitated the Spin line we got before Slush Head was released!!!
    Slush Heads head/dome is totally able to be articulated! AND according to Alexx its still watertight!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

ahahahaha!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Of course they would....who would admit that designers and engineers couldn't figure out that by eliminating a simple tab as Alexx did, they could have solved the problem. No company wants to tell their customers, yeah we added a tab that prohibited an important articulation feature and served no functional purpose whatsoever. On the flip side though, are any of the "broken" Slushheads leaking yet? If not, then genius. If they are than maybe it had been tested (unlikely but possible)

Heroic Warrior
    What I can't belive is... Fans still get upset with this stuff. I'm not knocking you iceman, but we all should be pretty used to this by now. #1 Rule of thumb: We are not going to get a straight, honest answer, so why ask questions.

MOTUC Fans = Taken for the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post

He totally ignored the evidence and regurgitated the Spin line we got before Slush Head was released!!!
    Slush Heads head/dome is totally able to be articulated! AND according to Alexx its still watertight!
    It is clear that Scott didn't even bother to read your post and just pasted a stock answer.

As Meckaneckpain said, we shouldn't be surprised anymore but we shouldn't just accept this sort of 'Let's take our customers for the ass' patronizing attitude.

Yeah I know but just when I thought this company couldn't shock me any more... it's actually very disrespectful.

Thus far everyone who has managed to articulate Slush Head's dome has not reported any leaking.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Yeah I know but just when I thought this company couldn't shock me any more... it's actually very disrespectful.

Thus far everyone who has managed to articulate Slush Head's dome has not reported any leaking.
    I'm going to break the tabs tonight!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Heroic Warrior

But you are assuming that it will stay watertight over time. Perhaps Mattel did tests that found out that the head would eventually leak. I'm not saying that they did, and we know that their tests haven't guaranteed good results in the past, but I'm not sure it is fair to assume that just because one person made a modification that is working well so far that it is a modification that will stand the test of time.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Hm...odd. Maybe he didn't look at the post close enough. I've had the figure sitting around for awhile now with water in 'em and still, nothing is leaking out of the bottom. Tell you the truth, the only place it leaked was from the plug, but that stopped after a mintue or two. The bottom of the dome is still dry, and if they hadn't molded the tabs, it would have a fully rimmed bottom and NO way for the water to come out, that I can see. All they needed was a lip around the edge of the dome - which would have ADDED plastic, not taken any away - and then added an indentation along the inside of the collar. It wouldn't have interfered with the dome whatsoever.

I don't know what they were trying, but it wasn't everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    But you are assuming that it will stay watertight over time. Perhaps Mattel did tests that found out that the head would eventually leak. I'm not saying that they did, and we know that their tests haven't guaranteed good results in the past, but I'm not sure it is fair to assume that just because one person made a modification that is working well so far that it is a modification that will stand the test of time.
    That is a fair statement, but the modification broke two small tabs off the bottom of the rim of the dome. If those tabs hadn't been there, then you would be left with the same dome we have now; only unattached. If the water eventually leaked from that, then it would eventually leak from the setup that Mattel devised.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Copy, Paste, Smile, Pay Check Advance, Move Along.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Honestly nothing I didn't expect.
    I already couldn't believe my ears when TG revealed the non-moving dome in PD's Walkthrough...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I could easily be wrong... but it seems to me he thinks your talking a ball articulated head joint and not the dome itself. he probably didn't click on the link clarify

Head articulation proof?... really?

Isn't the head just sitting there now? How exactly is that articulation?

I am sure there are tons of options that could've made this work, I mean, it's not an impossible feat to accomplish...nor rocket science

I just think that what TG means is based on R&D time and money available for MOTU it just couldn't be done. It's an unfortunate situation, but people still don't seem to understand that to Mattel, this line is still really, really small and has limited resources. I sure as hell don't like it... but it's the reality of things in MOTU's case...
    I'm not going to loose sleep over 1 figure out of dozens not having head articulation...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

KUZEH, take that logic elsewhere. It has no place in this thread

I can understand everyone's frustration and everyone is right but money usually dictates everything with this line. Had there been more resource available I am sure we wouldn't have half the problems we have

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Head articulation proof?... really?

Isn't the head just sitting there now? How exactly is that articulation?

I am sure there are tons of options that could've made this work, I mean, it's not an impossible feat to accomplish...nor rocket science

I just think that what TG means is based on R&D time and money available for MOTU it just couldn't be done. It's an unfortunate situation, but people still don't seem to understand that to Mattel, this line is still really, really small and has limited resources. I sure as hell don't like it... but it's the reality of things in MOTU's case...
    I'm not going to loose sleep over 1 figure out of dozens not having head articulation...
    All good points. In addition, we do know Mattel has MUCH more stringent standards for their toys than even other companies like Hasbro did. For instance, they make it so it's not easy to pull off legs or arms. They want these to be secure. Although you can break the tabs on Slushy and make the head articulated, it's not secure. A little more engineering and the head could have stayed in place... but possibly not to Mattel's standards. It's entirely possible that getting that articulation to be as robust as it needed to be would have caused some serious compromises being made to the look of the figure. And no one wants that after the Sorceress, right?

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    These were great suggestions but they don't take into account Mattel's manditory safety considerations. We DID explore many different ways to keep the articulation and none of them worked for our safety and shipping requirments. I'm sure some clever fans have found ways to customize the figure after market to hold water, but that doesn't mean 100% that Mattel can assemble to tool a figure this way. We have safety issues that have to be taken into consideration.
    Last edited by Toyguru; June 7, 2012 at 06:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    These were great suggestions but they don't take into account Mattel's manditory safety considerations. We DID explore many different ways to keep the articulation and none of them worked for our safety and shipping requirments.
    Yes, I've been afraid of turning the dome & of it then falling into my mouth or eye.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    These were great suggestions but they don't take into account Mattel's manditory safety considerations. We DID explore many different ways to keep the articulation and none of them worked for our safety and shipping requirments.
    Are there safety requirements for packaging? The newer, thin white mailer boxes are pretty darn sharp. I cut myself by accident on those things a lot. The wounds are identical to cat scratches!

Does anyone else get cut from white mailer boxes or is it just me? If I had kids, I would FOR SURE open the packaging for them, because I wouldn't want them to get all cut up from a box.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

How did he ignore it? He fully addressed your question and answered by saying that they tried many different things but didn't come up with a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Yes, I've been afraid of turning the dome & of it then falling into my mouth or eye.
    Mattel has made you a part time engineer.

These were great suggestions but they don't take into account Mattel's manditory safety considerations. We DID explore many different ways to keep the articulation and none of them worked for our safety and shipping requirments. I'm sure some clever fans have found ways to customize the figure after market to hold water, but that doesn't mean 100% that Mattel can assemble to tool a figure this way. We have safety issues that have to be taken into consideration.
    Fair enough. However (and I'm not arguing here; just trying to understand the situation) can you state what safety requirement would have been violated with some of the options you guys explored? I understand that the dome probably couldn't be left loose in the collar; that's the way it is now with my modification, and honestly people would have been just as loud about it if it was just sitting there (plus, like I said, that sounds like it might fall under the part of a safety requirement). But it seems like the dome could have been fitted into the collar on a track - with a lip around the edge of the dome and a groove on the inside of the collar. In the spirit of plain curiosity: would that setup violate any safety restrictions?

I mean absolutely no sarcasm by my questions, and hopefully that comes across. I also understand if that is a question that cannot be answered due to company policy.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

For the people who've modified their Slush Head's - did your domes have a crack in it already? Mine had a crack right out of the package, and I know of at least one other person who has a crack in the same spot (under the chin). Mine's still water tight, but the clear plastic in this line is so bad I'm afraid to put any strain on it at all. I'm afraid the dome will crack even more over time, without me touching it at all.

So before anyone else breaks their tabs, I would just think for a second about the Photog lenses and Roboto's torsoes, and consider if these dome's will weaken over time. It's likely going to be fine, but it is a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    For the people who've modified their Slush Head's - did your domes have a crack in it already? Mine had a crack right out of the package, and I know of at least one other person who has a crack in the same spot (under the chin). Mine's still water tight, but the clear plastic in this line is so bad I'm afraid to put any strain on it at all. I'm afraid the dome will crack even more over time, without me touching it at all.

So before anyone else breaks their tabs, I would just think for a second about the Photog lenses and Roboto's torsoes, and consider if these dome's will weaken over time. It's likely going to be fine, but it is a consideration.
    Oh for ****'s sake!

This simple problem is that we're becoming increasingly more of a nanny-state fueled by lawsuit-happy citizens, and somewhere out there IS a kid who would be dumb enough the pull Slush-head's dome out of any track-type tab system and try to eat it. Sad but true.
    Last edited by Nekk-ra; June 7, 2012 at 07:43pm. Reason: Pubilic edumacation

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post

There is no crack on mine, but I there is always that 1% of uncertanty. Mine broke nice and clean, but like I stated in my original post: I can't say if it will do that for everyone's. There were people that cut them off cleanly, and they might have better results. As of now mine is fine, and I don't expect to have any problems. If yours is cracked already, I wouldn't suggest breaking them off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    This simple problem is that we're are becoming increasingly more of a nanny-state fueled by lawsuit-happy citizens, and somewhere out there IS a kid who would be dumb enough the pull Slush-head dome out of any track-type tab system and try to eat it. Sad but true.
    That's totally fair: I'm just seeing if I can get something like that as an offical answer. The track idea seemed like a simple solution, and I can't believe it wasn't considered. I'm just seeing if I can see why it wouldn't work - for instance, something like you said. You just never know. I'm not gona argue or complain...just lookin' to see if I can pull out an offical answer.