Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mattel/TG ignores Slush Head articulation proof

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    For the people who've modified their Slush Head's - did your domes have a crack in it already? Mine had a crack right out of the package, and I know of at least one other person who has a crack in the same spot (under the chin). Mine's still water tight, but the clear plastic in this line is so bad I'm afraid to put any strain on it at all. I'm afraid the dome will crack even more over time, without me touching it at all.

So before anyone else breaks their tabs, I would just think for a second about the Photog lenses and Roboto's torsoes, and consider if these dome's will weaken over time. It's likely going to be fine, but it is a consideration.
    Is yours a legit crack? I'm just curious because my dome has a small scratch on it in the same spot, and at first I also thought it was a crack but upon looking closer it's just a mark. And it's not visible with water in the dome.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    This simple problem is that we're are becoming increasingly more of a nanny-state fueled by lawsuit-happy citizens, and somewhere out there IS a kid who would be dumb enough the pull Slush-head dome out of any track-type tab system and try to eat it. Sad but true.
    True! The last thing Mattel wants is to have a million dollar lawsuit over a small collector line.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Mattel has made you a part time engineer.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    It truly amazes me that an ADULT collector line has all these strict safty guidlines. You would think that just classifying this line as an ADULT collection would eliminate the need for the red tape. They made Slush Head the way they did for a reason. Whatever that reason may be... and yes, I don't buy the reason given... It is what it is. The fact that someone has found a way to by-pass the clips and make his head turn is good enough for me. I already had to change Stinkor's arms, I had to change King Hsss' arms, I have accepted that I will have to modify most of these figures. I'm just glad that I don't need Slush Head's head to turn, but if I did...knowing how to do it because fans have discovered how... is awesome.

Can the general public differeniate between an Adult action figure and a Childrens action figure? That is why Mattel's standards are one in the same

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    It truly amazes me that an ADULT collector line has all these strict safty guidlines. You would think that just classifying this line as an ADULT collection would eliminate the need for the red tape. They made Slush Head the way they did for a reason. Whatever that reason may be... and yes, I don't buy the reason given... It is what it is. The fact that someone has found a way to by-pass the clips and make his head turn is good enough for me. I already had to change Stinkor's arms, I had to change King Hsss' arms, I have accepted that I will have to modify most of these figures. I'm just glad that I don't need Slush Head's head to turn, but if I did...knowing how to do it because fans have discovered how... is awesome.
    Mattel doesn't want to get sued. Just because the toys are for adults doesn't mean little kids will make that distinction. Kids could easily fool with adult figures if they see daddy's action figures on display at home.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel doesn't want to get sued. Just because the toys are for adults doesn't mean little kids will make that distinction. Kids could easily fool with adult figures if they see daddy's action figures on display at home.
    True, But can you really sue the company if they have labeled thier packaging as an adult collector figure, and a kid swallowed Lt. Spector's head and choked?

I understand that there are safety guidlines by law that the company must adhere to... but to say they couldn't articulate Slush Head's head because of safety reasons is just another "taken for the ass" statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Is yours a legit crack? I'm just curious because my dome has a small scratch on it in the same spot, and at first I also thought it was a crack but upon looking closer it's just a mark. And it's not visible with water in the dome.
    I will have to take a closer look. I haven't put water in it yet. I wish I had a magnifying glass. Come to think of it, it looks more like a deep scratch or gouge because plastic does seem to be missing. There is an indentation - it's not exactly a crack.

Heroic Warrior
    True, But can you really sue the company if they have labeled thier packaging as an adult collector figure, and a kid swallowed Lt. Spector's head and choked?

I understand that there are safety guidlines by law that the company must adhere to... but to say they couldn't articulate Slush Head's head because of safety reasons is just another "taken for the ass" statement.
    Actually, people can in fact sue and have successfully done so in the past even in "adult toy lines"- I recall McFarlane being sued for something of that category and losing and they recalled a bunch of Spawn figures sadly.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes... Yes you can.

In this world we have people suing because their hot coffee was hot, Burglars who get shot while robbing a house sue the owners, People suing mcdonalds because 'fast food made me fat'.

AND WIN!!!!

People sue for any reason they can... and what was on the label of the package... months after that package was thrown away is a flimsy protection, and honestly 'Adult Collector' is a joke.

If it looks like a toy, made like a toy, in honor of a Toy from 30 years ago... made by the same toy company... in a toy STORE....

It's a toy.

Personally I'd rather them SCRAP the 'adult collector' tag and just make a toy that a child can play with without breaking. Or... y'lknow... without breaking in the package!

turning side to side is one thing, but I am not breaking a brand new toy just to turn the head....

I'm sure they could have made the dome turn, but extra engineering means more money....maybe not a good reason for many, but gluing the dome on, was a far cheaper fix than making a mre complicated system of interlocking rings molded in to the dome and armor to make it swivel, and doing that would make it tight, and to not just pop off....but it still would have taken more time, and money....And Slush may have been like Stratos and been accessory-less....who knows, I'm not saying it couldn't have been done, it could have, with a little more engineering, and been solid, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    All good points. In addition, we do know Mattel has MUCH more stringent standards for their toys than even other companies like Hasbro did. For instance, they make it so it's not easy to pull off legs or arms. They want these to be secure. Although you can break the tabs on Slushy and make the head articulated, it's not secure. A little more engineering and the head could have stayed in place... but possibly not to Mattel's standards. It's entirely possible that getting that articulation to be as robust as it needed to be would have caused some serious compromises being made to the look of the figure. And no one wants that after the Sorceress, right?
    Hasbro does have regulations, the Transformers and such are designed to have break away parts so the toys don't break if force is applied to then, and Transformers and most of the other lines are 5+, G1 Transformers were riddled with brittle plastic because of plastic technology then, and such thin parts cast from it, the thicker parts didn't suffer the same fate, Hasbro even said in a statement back in 2006 when the Classics line began that the parts are breakaway to eliminate them from breaking, and you know what....it works perfectly, granted some things get loose and pop off easily....but MOTUC is not exempt from loose joints either, and they are more a premium price than Standard Transformers aside from the Collector based MP line, but you get transforming toys that are at least 10" - 13" tall....I mean you have seen things pop off MOTUC as Dan reviews the figures....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    ok fine... we can sue for anything... I get it. LOL. But my point was more directed at the lame answers we get for logical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    turning side to side is one thing, but I am not breaking a brand new toy just to turn the head....
    But you'd be breaking something you can't even see, that shouldn't even be there. I plan to get a Slush Head to do just that.

I'm still shocked that so many seem utterly complacent about the most basic point of articulation being absent. Even Cringer's head is articulated!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    But you'd be breaking something you can't even see, that shouldn't even be there. I plan to get a Slush Head to do just that.

I'm still shocked that so many seem utterly complacent about the most basic point of articulation being absent. Even Cringer's head is articulated!
    Right, but does the head even stay on when you do it, and I mean that you can't pull it off again? ....no, the dome will still pop off again....you're breaking the only tab that holds it securely in place from ever coming off again....I am not saying it should have been done that way, seems a cheaper way out to me.

I know articulation could have been achieved with a little more engineering, I know how it could be done, and not come off, and still be filled, and I never went to college....the head wouldn't be able to look up or down, but at least side to side. And the only way the head would come off would be to heat the armor plastic to make it softer.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 7, 2012 at 10:17pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Thanks to Scott for the clarification. Nobody ignored anything, it was a safety consideration.

I guess with the behind the scenes scoop, this thread is not longer needed.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!