Thread: Minor Classic Media Update (New): They Will Be Exhibiting MOTU At Licensing Expo

Minor Classic Media Update (New): They Will Be Exhibiting MOTU At Licensing Expo

Licensing Expo starts today. It's possible yet more licensing deals will be made for MOTU.

Classic Media is also targeting the boys' toys aisle, with Masters of the Universe and Voltron. Nicole Blake, the executive VP of global marketing and consumer products at Classic Media, acknowledges the challenges with this space. "You have properties that were developed via feature films," Blake notes. "That makes it more competitive."

Nevertheless, she expects both Masters of the Universe and Voltron to fare well with licensing and retail partners given their deep brand heritage. Masters of the Universe turns 30 this year and Classic Media has lined up several new partners to compliment the Mattel toy line, including apparel, DVDs and bobbleheads.
    http://issuu.com/worldscreen/docs/tv...licensing_2012 (PAGE 10)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Licensing Expo starts today. It's possible yet more licensing deals will be made for MOTU.

http://issuu.com/worldscreen/docs/tv...licensing_2012 (PAGE 10)
    They sort of imply that they may be readying an actual boys toys line related to MOTU- I know it's not specifically stated but did you sort of get that vibe from this Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    They sort of imply that they may be readying an actual boys toys line related to MOTU- I know it's not specifically stated but did you sort of get that vibe from this Jim?
    I read it that way as well.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    It does seems that way, but I don't know what to think since Classic Media doesn't have toy rights for MOTU... Unless Mattel is allowing them to develop something. Or it could just mean additional items like bobbleheads that could be sold alongside toys.

EDIT:

Just found this on licensing.biz:

VEGAS 2012: The Preview

Classic Media
    Booth 7146

A raft of new and existing brands will make up Classic's presence in Las Vegas.
    Where's Waldo? is celebrating its 25th anniversary with new licensees, broader retail presence and several territory launches. It recently launched its first Android app (Gameloft), while a third Apple app and its first Facebook game (both Ludia) are also due. The brand's retail presence will also be expanded to take advantage of the anniversary.
    Masters of the Universe, meanwhile, is celebrating its 30th anniversary, and Classic has brought on board several partners to complement Mattel's toy line. Key licensees include DC Comics, Changes, Disguise, New Era, Mill Creek and Funko, with more due to be announced.
    The firm also recently acquired Noddy and Olivia from Chorion, and the two pre-school brands should prove a key draw on the booth.
    Postman Pat is gearing up for the launch of his first feature film in 2013 - it hits the UK on May 24th 2013), with consumer products due to relaunch. This will include new toys, publishing and fresh packaging.
    Other properties on the Classic booth will include Voltron, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, Casper and Peter Cottontail.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It does seems that way, but I don't know what to think since Classic Media doesn't have toy rights for MOTU... Unless Mattel is allowing them to develop something. Or it could just mean additional items like bobbleheads that could be sold alongside toys.
    I took "boys' toys aisle" to be more of a metaphorical thing than a literal statement.

I just got a catalog from Journeys and they have Thundercats Chuck Taylors now! They've had DC ones for a while now but these just popped up. I'd love to get some MOTU Chucks and it seems rather possible now. Fingers crossed...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wish Classic Media would license a MOTU game for XBox Live and PSN. Make a Golden Axe-like game with He-Man, Duncan and Teela versus Evil warrior thugs, stages and bosses. Voltron was lucky to have a Classic Media game, but it happened because of entertainment.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    I took "boys' toys aisle" to be more of a metaphorical thing than a literal statement.
    You mean like "bringing MOTU back to the shelves" ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

This is good news. I also got the vibe that toys might be coming back to the aisles, but maybe it's wishful thinking on my part and seeing something when there isn't anything actually there. It's promising, though.

Heroic Warrior
    I wasn't pointing out the tag line when I said it alludes to toys in the store, I was more so pointing out the general tone and presentation of the message. Perhaps Mattel gets the idea that it isn't feasible for THEM to produce Grayskull and CM will instead license it out to Sideshow or someone else? (I don't mean the mini-diorama thing either although that's pretty cool).

EDIT

I wonder if New Era is the same one that makes the baseball caps, or the one that makes fine art prints on really nice canvas material? Either would be extremely cool.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Looking forward to some new goodies! Had a new neice born 3 weeks ago and my new nephew was born last week......they both got Star Wars baby clothes but would love to get them something He-man....lol. Whatever we get, it's nice to see MOTU hitting retail shelves in ANY form!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Very interesting! I had to look up the companies to fee what they all made:

New Era: baseball caps, tees, shirts, hoodies, jackets, sweaters
    Disguise: Halloween costumes and accessories
    Changes: (this might not be the right company) they make jewelry, hair accessories, footwear, jackets, hoodies, tees, etc.

I would LOVE to see a PSN MOTU game, like MGM mentioned. ANY MOTU game on PSN would be great!

You know...they could even release the 200X game that was made for PS2 on PSN for North Americans! I already have it, but it would be cool for almost everyone else since it's only in PAL format.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Pardon the dumb question, but, how does this work?
    Is the media there, or how do we find out what they're unveiling?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I cant wait for the New Era hats to come out. I'm in the market for a new hat and New Era is my kinda hat. Maybe I'm biased since New Era is based here though.

Some of their cartoon/comics based hats are awesome. Especially their Marvel and ThunderCats hats. I definitely look forward to MOTU ones. Getting them all.

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    That Mumm-Ra hat is intense!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Very interesting! I had to look up the companies to fee what they all made:

New Era: baseball caps, tees, shirts, hoodies, jackets, sweaters
    Disguise: Halloween costumes and accessories
    Changes: (this might not be the right company) they make jewelry, hair accessories, footwear, jackets, hoodies, tees, etc.

I would LOVE to see a PSN MOTU game, like MGM mentioned. ANY MOTU game on PSN would be great!

You know...they could even release the 200X game that was made for PS2 on PSN for North Americans! I already have it, but it would be cool for almost everyone else since it's only in PAL format.
    Mill Creek does DVDs. So my hopes are up for a possible Direct to DVD cartoon.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

The Expo is happening right now, I think. So we should see some stuff either today or tomorrow.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I do believe in the next year or so we will have He-man back on tv and in retail. classic Media is really pushing things, so I expect some kind of announcement soon.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It's good to have some new MOTU stuff, but there is a downside to this. The rights for MOTU are still a mixed-up mess, split between Mattel and Classics, and that is a real hurdle for any proposed movie to overcome. Mattel is never going to be able to follow Hasbro's lead of turning their toy lines into multimedia properties until they actually pony up the money to regain the rights they so shortsightedly sold for some quick, easy cash. MOTU will never match Gi Joe or Transformers as a mega-property until this happens.

- - - Updated - - -

It's good to have some new MOTU stuff, but there is a downside to this. The rights for MOTU are still a mixed-up mess, split between Mattel and Classics, and that is a real hurdle for any proposed movie to overcome. Mattel is never going to be able to follow Hasbro's lead of turning their toy lines into multimedia properties until they actually pony up the money to regain the rights they so shortsightedly sold for some quick, easy cash. MOTU will never match Gi Joe or Transformers as a mega-property until this happens.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Someone needs to start looking into direct to dvd cartoon movies like DC does. They could do all the big events like Thr Ultimate Battlegrounds and the like. Some video company finds money for Tom and Jerry movies so i think MOTU should be able to get some love.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Haha, they mentioned Voltron. Mattel doesn't give a blank about Voltron.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

No major announcements, yet?
    Where are all of the novelty, big-headed things and extreme, nascar-style baseball hats?