Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you like to see “come out” as positive role models? [in DC/MOTU series]

Fisto the Bear!

It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Roboto? He's a Robot! He has no gender. Unless he is rebuilt into a more human appearance. And was like Data from Star Trek TNG.
    Except that you just referred to him as "he." Gotcha! It's been established that Roboto (like the Tin Woodman) has a heart. What would prevent him, then, from loving?
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Wouldn't it be freaky for a biological character to fall in love with a robot lol.

Well, SyKlone is kind of a cyborg, so he can relate to non-biological elements that Roboto would deal with. If you love who you love, does it matter? What MOTU would really explore in a story context, is the connection between hearts, not OTHER body parts. And that's all that's really important.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Well yeah I think it does matter if they are a different species or not even a biological entity lol. Loving eachother as friends is fair enough but to be IN love and in a more than friends relationship implies the physical side is an aspect of that relationship which becomes creepy if it's a guy getting it on with a robot lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Wouldn't it be freaky for a biological character to fall in love with a robot lol.
    data from star trek.

So yeah, it'd be freaky lol.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I buy comics to go to fantasy world. I don't want realism in my fantasy. It's about the superhero/villain not their secret identity and the life that comes with that.
    You've just eliminated almost every Marvel Comic written since 1960.

Point is, what has made the Marvel heroes so popular has little to do with good guys bopping bad guys. The story of Spider-Man, one of the most popular super-heroes of all times, is ALL about his secret ID and the life that comes with it. It's always had more to do with the way being a super-hero affects his life as Peter Parker than the next baddie he faces. The Fantastic Four is about a dysfunctional family that happens to fight super-baddies almost as much as the fight with each other.

I don't have any interest in watching a costume fighting another costume. I want to get drawn into a character's world, what makes them a hero or villain, and how that affects their lives. To me, that's the part that is interesting; the big battles are the backdrop that sets the stage for the important stuff. I don't want to just see the hero save the world; I want to know what's going through his head at the time, how he's worrying about those he loves and hoping he doesn't fail for the sake of those people. I'm much more interested in the man than the super, and that includes who he loves and what choices he makes. That's what makes strong storytelling.

Look at my favorite MOTU episodes, things like "The Problem with Power" and "Into the Abyss." Not much in the line of big battles, but a great look into the hearts of our heores.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Sci-Fi and comic books have been doing it for years. The robot develops sentience, it's program evolves to the point where it wants to love or the woman is so damaged emotionally that she takes solace in the arms of a devoted "knight in shining armor" who will not get angry with her, beat her or cheat on her.

Scarlet Witch and Vision
    Spartan and Voodoo

Heck, even Terminator II and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles played around with the idea.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I know robot love has been done before, I remember one of the Dinobots fell in love with a human woman in Transformers UK but it's never been a story I have found interesting especially if the feelings are reciprocated as I just can't relate to it or care and as I said, find it a bit creepy. To me it's along the same lines as a human having a 'relationship' with a dog or elephant or something lol. Two different species. Attack trak had a sentient personality but does that mean I want a story of teela falling in love with it and getting married? No.

I know robot love has been done before, I remember one of the Dinobots fell in love with a human woman in Transformers UK but it's never been a story I have found interesting especially if the feelings are reciprocated as I just can't relate to it or care and as I said, find it a bit creepy. To me it's along the same lines as a human having a 'relationship' with a dog or elephant or something lol. Two different species. Attack trak had a sentient personality but does that mean I want a story of teela falling in love with it and getting married? No.
    Or Kittrina wanting Battle Cat.

I remember when a woman fell in love with Skids in the TF comic. She washed him wearing Daisy Dukes and he didn't want to return to the Autobots. G1 Marvel comics had some reeeally offbeat stories...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    So, are you saying that him & Geoff are an item, & that he's hinting at that?
    Not really, no, I was only referring to their alter ego's. Besides, I believe both of them are married
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    You've just eliminated almost every Marvel Comic written since 1960.

Look at my favorite MOTU episodes, things like "The Problem with Power" and "Into the Abyss." Not much in the line of big battles, but a great look into the hearts of our heores.
    Another quality post.

- - - Updated - - -

Attack trak had a sentient personality but does that mean I want a story of teela falling in love with it and getting married? No.
    Yes, being involved with an object is just too weird
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Didn't Catra in cat for try to "seduce" Battle Cat once?
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Or Kittrina wanting Battle Cat.... G1 Marvel comics had some reeeally offbeat stories...
    The stuff that makes fiction interesting. Or reality

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Didn't Catra in cat for try to "seduce" Battle Cat once?
    With all the animal-human hybrids, talking animals, cyborgs, undead, aliens, gods & monsters in Eternia, relatonships & sexuality (am I allowed to use that word? *brrrr!*) are going to be much more diverse than Earth. More akin to Greek Mythology - only more so. Homosexuality is nothing compared to how challenging this would be in a story. I mean, a non-fan-fic story, hehehe.

Surprising that they are all trying to kill each other over it, isn't it? Probably because "it" doesn't really exist in the "mythos".

Perhaps we can blame the virtual absence of religion on Eterna for this kind of behaviour? ahahahahaha!!!
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; June 13, 2012 at 04:22pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Tasha Yar did with Data.
    Last edited by Marvelous0ne; June 13, 2012 at 04:27pm.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

:Tasha Yar did with Data.
    Then she was killed by evil slime for her sins

I am aware who data is but I have never watched Star trek so him having a girlfriend means nothing to me and doesn't give the scenario any legitimacy lol.

The bios get enough stick as it is when anything is changed or added about a character let alone something as big as their sexuality, the forum would explode!
    Last edited by Rodster6; June 13, 2012 at 05:03pm.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Perhaps we can blame the virtual absence of religion on Eterna for this kind of behaviour? ahahahahaha!!!
    Actually, I always thoguht Eternians (at least the human variety) crying out things about the ancients in much the same way we would say something like "Oh, my God" meant that the ancients were worshiped, perhaps in much the way of the Greek or roman gods.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I'd also say 'none.'

To me, one of the most unique (and perhaps the best) elements of the whole MOTU storyline is the fact that, beyond the most basic elements of the story and characrers, so much of it is open to individuals' own interpretation and imagination, including the sexual preference of most of the main characters. In my personal canon/interpretation, He-Man is straight. But that doesn't mean that in your interpretation of the canon, He-Man couldn't be gay. Since his sexuality isn't specified by an 'official' source, each interpretation is valid, and neither interpretation invalidates the ability of someone else to interpret it differently. I can't say my He-Man is better, or more 'correct' than your He-Man, and you can't say that yours is any more valid than mine.

However, once the sexuality of a character is specified, there's a 'correct' answer to that question. To use the Alan Scott Green Lantern example, within the DC 'New 52' Universe, Alan Scott is gay, period. There's no ambiguity, no room for interpretation, no ability for a reader to supply their own answer. If I say "Alan Scott is gay" and you say that he's straight, one of us is clearly right and one of us is clearly wrong.

So, I'd rather keep things as they are, where your personal answer (as a fan) to the question is the right answer, because it's the best answer for you. And even though my He-Man is a straight He-Man, I'd rather he exist in a multiverse of fan continuities where there are gay He-Men, straight He-Men, bisexual He-Man, Roboto-loving He-Men, and whatever else fandom wants to come up with, than one single universe where there's an 'official' interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Actually, I always thoguht Eternians (at least the human variety) crying out things about the ancients in much the same way we would say something like "Oh, my God" meant that the ancients were worshiped, perhaps in much the way of the Greek or roman gods.
    Maybe, but my preference is that they have almost zero religion. The closest they get to gods are monsters, giants & other legends - most of which are in charge of some weird force or another. Great examples are Molkrum, Yog & Procrustus.

Most fantasy worlds have religious stuff going on - it's refreshing (even perhaps original?) to see it virtually absent.

I am aware who data is but I have never watched Star trek so him having a girlfriend means nothing to me and doesn't give the scenario any legitimacy lol.

The bios get enough stick as it is when anything is changed or added about a character let alone something as big as their sexuality, the forum would explode!
    OK, how about the short story by Isaac Asimov called Bicentennial Man about an android endeavors to become human as he gradually acquires emotions. Who also ends up falling in love with a human woman and marries her. Maybe you saw the film version of the story with Robin Williams?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

NONE.

These are toys. Fighting toys. Love and sex are irrelevant. I never played with my He-Man or Joe toys as a kid and sent them on romantic getaways and I certainly don't need to now.

But for ***** and giggles, I'd say Rio Blast with that mustache and chaps and Scorpia with that voice.
    Last edited by Uncle Jake; June 13, 2012 at 05:15pm.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 13, 2012 at 05:24pm.

OK, how about the short story by Isaac Asimov called Bicentennial Man about an android endeavors to become human as he gradually acquires emotions. Who also ends up falling in love with a human woman and marries her. Maybe you saw the film version of the story with Robin Williams?
    I saw the film but can't remember much of it now and as touching as it may have been, I wouldn't have wanted a human female and a robot getting it on.

I think the difference between having hetro relationships included and having **** relationships is that a hetro one seems to evolve more naturally into the story. Prince Adam must have had parents to exist so the King and Queen being romantically involved just comes naturally into the story. Having a **** couple would seem far more shoe horned in for the sake of either a gimmick or to be PC and would feel like it had more of an emphasis on their sexuality due to it not just being there because they are someones parents or whatever.
    Last edited by Rodster6; June 13, 2012 at 07:47pm.