Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Who would you like to see “come out” as positive role models? [in DC/MOTU series]

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but can I nominate Spector?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by he-boy View Post
    i haven't read through the whole thread yet but can i nominate spector?
    must...resist.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    and then put those name into the hat on the left marked "Bi or Not"?!?

ANYTHING anyone is going to say on this topic is going to be a projection of phobias, insecurities and bias furthering a life long personal agenda that vilifies "others" while simultaneously being self congratulatory. Websters' dictionary defines it as being human. ;-)

For example: as a straight man who loves his gay brother (two cousins, nephew, aunt and a few friends) naturally I fear any character being gay for playing into an obvious stereotype that only fuels intolerance and ignorance.

My brother coined the term "proto-Sexual"
    ^ This man gets it- vilification of a sexual lifestyle would be one of the potential harms in doing this. Very well put and thought out Eldor.

Just read through this thread. Or should I say 'skimmed'. Some very frustrating comments. I can't believe people are saying that they want sexuality out of MOTU when it is FULL of heterosexuality. I love that some people can't even cope with the massive number of gay He-Fans.

I wouldn't mind seeing gay characters, but I wouldn't want their interaction to be anything more than PG rated flirting, maybe a relationship. I wasn't even comfortable with Frosta's flirting with He-Man in the Filmation cartoon - mostly because it wasn't reciprocated. It was cringeworthy and turned me off the character.

With the quality of the writing currently in Classics, I'd prefer that we hold off on such stories for now.

As long as it isn't Adam or Teela (and maybe one or two others if I was to think about it), I really couldn't be bothered if they made anyone else gay. Though there are probably a few good or interesting potential candidates, you have to be careful about writing someone as gay so it doesn't feel like a stunt and doesn't reduce the character to 'the gay one'. Right now DC and Marvel are pushing certain gay characters, I haven't read them to be honest (though that's really due to not reading comics these days), but I'm worried that people will focus on the gay aspect too much and devalue the fiction overall because of it (like regarding as a stunt etc).

Basically I'm all for gay characters or other forms of representation as long as it's natural and isn't the main or defining aspect of the character or the story being told. Also, I'd maybe put it off for a bit since there are two prominent names in the comics industry both doing prominent gay characters/events, just because I think it would look like jumping on the bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I am a life long fan of He-Man and She-Ra. I'm gay and I know quite a number of gay guys who loved the He-Man mythos. The Filmation series had heroes that felt close-knit and surpassed their gadget tricks with deeply human relationships that we could relate to. Growing up a gay kid in the 80's/90's was a very lonely time.

So, I endorse the idea of two men or two women being in love somewhere in the story.

To answer the question, I would really like to see one, a pair, or a group of characters be gay or lesbian.

1. Double Trouble and Entrapta. The secret agent for the GB in love with Entrapta? That is a story full of conflict!
    2. Filmation's Garth. He's basically a butterfly man with large, kind eyes and an heroic physique.
    3. Josh of the GB. Bow is already canonized as a straight dude who is in love with She-Ra (his heart "beats" for her). The GB seems to be a very fun, gay friendly faction.
    4. Blade and Tri-Klops. Two super masculine, non-cliche characters who are both human, on the same team, and are power hungry. And, we really don't know much about their personal lives outside of their battle functions. On the Starz tv show SPARTACUS, there have already been TWO pairs of male gladiators who were in love. The idea isn't new anymore.
    5. Sweet Bee and Perfuma. They sort of go together, already, ya know?
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; June 18, 2012 at 12:44am.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

My vote would also be Man-E-Faces.

His other identities could be manifestations of how he coped with being gay. Robot - has no feelings - no need to think or feel, and Monster could be his manifestation of how he felt about his hidden side before coming to terms with it. I know growing up gay that's how I felt and dealt with that side of myself. I didn't want to deal with it, so I shut down, and thought of my homosexuality as a monster. I think having a gay role model in MOTU would have helped me immensely as a child! LOL...and I went into acting as a profession!
    I think I learnt more about being a good person from He-man, then I did in church.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskullian View Post
    My vote would also be Man-E-Faces.

His other identities could be manifestations of how he coped with being gay. Robot - has no feelings - no need to think or feel, and Monster could be his manifestation of how he felt about his hidden side before coming to terms with it. I know growing up gay that's how I felt and dealt with that side of myself. I didn't want to deal with it, so I shut down, and thought of my homosexuality as a monster. I think having a gay role model in MOTU would have helped me immensely as a child! LOL...and I went into acting as a profession!
    First of all welcome! I agree it would have been great in the 80's but not very feasible. There are definitely a few candidates I think now though.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Don't need any sexuality in MOTU. Same for death or bloody action. MOTU is an awesome memory from my childhood, it should not be loaded with mature stuff...
    I agree 100%. I still love MOTU as much as I did as a kid for many of the same reasons. If I want to see something with gore or sex in it, I have plenty of other alternatives without forcing a change to MOTU. Just because I've grown up doesn't mean every franchise I enjoyed as a kid need to as well.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    First of all welcome! I agree it would have been great in the 80's but not very feasible. There are definitely a few candidates I think now though.
    Thanks! I have been visiting the org for years, and finally decided to sign up. Looking forward to many interesting conversations with you all!
    I think I learnt more about being a good person from He-man, then I did in church.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    I always thought sex had no place in the MOTU realm, until Frosta tried to jump He-Man!

He-Man was having none of it, so maybe he is gay? Either way, doesn't matter to me what these characters do in the privacy of their own imaginary bedrooms.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Nobody... and let me qualify I want NO soap-opera heterosexual relationships either. With every other TV drama/comic trying to make itslef "relevent" by showing the domestic angst of it's characters (modern DR WHO being the worst offender) I want MOTU to remain free of such banality. If Teela and Adam got together I'd be just as ****** just as if Spector and Photog did.
    Last edited by redsquadron; July 19, 2012 at 03:38am.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)