Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: This ends speculation on the sub exclusive issue

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152

    This ends speculation on the sub exclusive issue

    vertigoink
    Matty Member

    Posted June 13, 2012 08:03 AM
    I only asked Scott for CLARIFICATION because it would nip any future speculation in the bud- sorry if I was at all unclear with that.


    Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: June 26, 2011


    Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

    Posted June 13, 2012 10:54 AM Hide Post
    I made this very clear on Roast Gooble dinner a while back. The 2013 sub figure is not a main character like Shadow Weaver. This was done in 2012 because it was the only way to get a Filmation character in time to show at SDCC 2011. Originally Horde Prime was the sub figure for 2012 because he represented a Filmation character we "could do" as he was never seen. That is also why he was briefly renamed "Horde Supreme" in some bios. Once we had full Filmation rights, doing HP was "less special" so we moved him to a monthly slot and made Shadow Weaver the sub figure (in order to have a visual at SDCC to represent Filmation rights).

    As for Ram Man, no plans to announce right now.

    Posts: 3739 | Location: El Segundo | Registered: October 20, 2009




    As always I appreciate Scott's time to answer this AGAIN to hopefully quell rumors to the contrary although Ram-Man NEEDS PLANS NOW LOL!

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,839
    Ram-Who?.......
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  3. #3
    YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland.
    Posts
    3,789
    That strikes me as kind of odd. It's not like they need to specify a slot for a figure to display it. Throw SW out there as a "Coming Soon!" thing, let people freak out (in a positive way), and put a more obscure figure out as the exclusive.

    I'm not trying to raise the 'BS' flag on TG. It just doesn't seme like a particularly valid reason to make someone like Shadow Weaver the sub exclusive.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.


    Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  4. #4
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    That strikes me as kind of odd. It's not like they need to specify a slot for a figure to display it. Throw SW out there as a "Coming Soon!" thing, let people freak out (in a positive way), and put a more obscure figure out as the exclusive.

    I'm not trying to raise the 'BS' flag on TG. It just doesn't seme like a particularly valid reason to make someone like Shadow Weaver the sub exclusive.
    From everything I know about SW the reason Scott gave is how he actually went about it, whether it was popular or the "right' thing to do is neither here nor there.

    There were probably better ways to go about it, however he opted not to do those and so we got her as the Sub exclusive to emphasize the point that they acquired Filmation Rights
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    I'll be happy to raise the BS flag. Why would Horde Prime be an incentive to anyone to buy the sub? Let's be realistic here... Shadow Weaver is a must have for MOST(not all) but most not to mention cooler looking thatn HP, Horde Prime is a "meh" figure that could be an easy skip for most since he really doesn't look like UK Horde Prime or Filmation except his hand. So it makes better business sense to make SW the sub exclusive, which they did... And I'm sure they will do it again with another figure that is a must have for the collection.

  6. #6
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Well at least Ram-Man won't be the exclusive, and everyone will have a normal priced way to get him....I just hope they don't put him out as the SDCC exclusive at anytime, because the cartoon / toy color one is what I want, if they did and they made the cardback Rammy the exclusive exclusive, then I guess, because at least he could be gotten on Matty....But I vote no on him for any exclusive at all.

    And good thing that none of the other main guys will suffer the same fate as Shadow Weaver, and the fans to get her at a normal price, and since she was released as she was, I kind of like having her in my collection, since I got her for doing a favor for friends. I just wish that everyone had a DOS opportunity to get her for regular figure prices, seeing as how she was and is so desirable.

    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I'll be happy to raise the BS flag. Why would Horde Prime be an incentive to anyone to buy the sub? Let's be realistic here... Shadow Weaver is a must have for MOST(not all) but most not to mention cooler looking thatn HP, Horde Prime is a "meh" figure that could be an easy skip for most since he really doesn't look like UK Horde Prime or Filmation except his hand. So it makes better business sense to make SW the sub exclusive, which they did... And I'm sure they will do it again with another figure that is a must have for the collection.
    For one it could have raised more sub sales for POP and Horde fans who never subbed up before, just like Shadow Weaver may have done for all we know. And Horde Prime is actually an awesome looking figure, but for me would have been an easy pass for the high resale prices that Shadow Weaver went for, but being a $22 figure, I am getting him, just ike had SW been the June figure, and she was $22 I'd be getting her and passing on Horde Prime, unless my friends happened to give me one like they did SW. And I kind of get why SW was done like she was, but still didn't make it right. And honestly Shadow Weaver was and still is very wanted by many, there are many still after her, but didn't want to pay the $100+ for her, and still even at $60+ some still find her hard to obtain. More wanted her than you think, I have seen more after her than most of the hard to get figures before the Black Friday sale made them available and affordable.

    Being given SW as a gift added her to my collection, whereas otherwise I never would have paid the premium for her, and honestly to me, I want Horde Prime more than her, but she has grown on me a lot since February.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 13, 2012 at 03:50pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I'll be happy to raise the BS flag. Why would Horde Prime be an incentive to anyone to buy the sub? Let's be realistic here... Shadow Weaver is a must have for MOST(not all) but most not to mention cooler looking thatn HP, Horde Prime is a "meh" figure that could be an easy skip for most since he really doesn't look like UK Horde Prime or Filmation except his hand. So it makes better business sense to make SW the sub exclusive, which they did... And I'm sure they will do it again with another figure that is a must have for the collection.
    are you advocating for ram-man to be the sub exclusive?

    prior to this year, the sub exclusive wasn't a MUST HAVE. it was a cool to have figure. horde prime or horde supreme fits.

  8. #8
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,549
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    are you advocating for ram-man to be the sub exclusive?

    prior to this year, the sub exclusive wasn't a MUST HAVE. it was a cool to have figure. horde prime or horde supreme fits.
    Yup especially since HP visually was either a big hand or a purple guy in the UK comics. A perfect "niche" figure to go along with Wun-Dar and Preternia He-Man.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    are you advocating for ram-man to be the sub exclusive?

    prior to this year, the sub exclusive wasn't a MUST HAVE. it was a cool to have figure. horde prime or horde supreme fits.
    No, I'm basically saying as I always do, that what the brand manager says has a probability of about 10% to actually be true information. I don't see how I'm an advocate for Ram Man to be a sub exclusive since I didn't say anything about Ram-Man. And Shadow Weaver IS a must have, unless one has no real interest in Filmation characters. Horde Prime is the 4H's interpretation of Horde Prime since he was never really shown in the cartoon. The UK HP head isn't enough to make me want to buy a sub.

  10. #10
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    No, I'm basically saying as I always do, that what the brand manager says has a probability of about 10% to actually be true information. I don't see how I'm an advocate for Ram Man to be a sub exclusive since I didn't say anything about Ram-Man. And Shadow Weaver IS a must have, unless one has no real interest in Filmation characters. Horde Prime is the 4H's interpretation of Horde Prime since he was never really shown in the cartoon. The UK HP head isn't enough to make me want to buy a sub.
    The only other thing about HP was that he had that building he was in, and that is what the 4H was going by on his design, that and basing loosely his new head design on Hordak, since they are supposed to be brothers.

    I admit I know almost nothing about POP, and getting SW was not a must to me, but I have her and I like her now, and HP is just awesome looking to me....I have She-Ra, BP She-Ra & Swiftwind, and am looking forward to more of the girls, but other than looks, and where She-Ra & Hordak came from, I know hardly anything about them all.

    But being that is so, I still want HP because he just looks cool, and will look awesome next to the other recent figures in my shelves. If he didn't look so cool to me, and was coming out as his UK self, then I would have passed, and in all honesty, since he is all black and red....that UK head just doesn't make sense, they could have spent that money on paint, or his staff.

    But then again this could be the true reason we got Spector....
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Horde Prime is cool, at least I hope his mystery head is cool. If it's the one that was spoiled online months ago then I'll be happy with that... I just think Shadow Weaver was chosen on purpose to be the sub exclusive to boost sales because Shadow Weaver really does belong with the Horde figures. The brand manager was counting on people feeling this way.

  12. #12
    Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Green Glade
    Posts
    1,244
    It doesn't really end speculation though does it, Scott has said before in the past that certain characters have no plans to b announced and then suddenly, there they are, being released.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior orbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,373
    It makes perfect business sense to put a very sought after figure out as the sub exclusive to drive the sales of the sub. As a collector/fan, I can understand why people would be against it, but as a business person, it is the perfect way to drive sales. I get the sub, so I dont mind one way or the other.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Man-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midwesternia
    Posts
    71
    As someone who intends to collect all the Horde members that this line will graciously produce, either one as the exclusive kinda sucks. Although I honestly had no prior real connection or familiarity with either character since I never watched She-Ra growing up, they are still both definite essentials to the faction.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,191
    I think making SW the exclusive this year was one of the worst moves Mattel has made, but there is no reason to doubt that Scott is telling us the truth—unless you're into conspiracy theories...
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,459
    Honestly Shadow weaver is one of my least favorite figures. I really don't think her smooth body fits well and i think she is better suited as an exclusive. Characters like her are not overly important to EVERYONE and yes I know a LOT of people wanted her. I had no clue who she was until i owned her. The exclusives should be demanded but not the key figures people beg for.

    I do find it hilarious that Mattel spent all the money they did on a 100% tooled figure, then she received the shortest production run to date. They are some super thinkers. People hate Preternian HM but at least he only had a few new parts.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    It makes perfect business sense to put a very sought after figure out as the sub exclusive to drive the sales of the sub. As a collector/fan, I can understand why people would be against it, but as a business person, it is the perfect way to drive sales. I get the sub, so I dont mind one way or the other.
    It actually makes sense not to make a sought after character the sub exclusive figure. As we learned last year there isn't a direct correlation between fan demand for the character and subscription sales. It's also quite possible that a highly demanded character results in an above average number of subscription cancellations after subscribers receive the subscription figure. Making Ram-Man the sub figure would just encourage enterprising persons to sign up for a sub and then cancel their credit card or purposely not have sufficient funds in their bank account the month after Ram-Man ships.

  18. #18
    Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Green Glade
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    Honestly Shadow weaver is one of my least favorite figures. I really don't think her smooth body fits well and i think she is better suited as an exclusive. Characters like her are not overly important to EVERYONE and yes I know a LOT of people wanted her. I had no clue who she was until i owned her. The exclusives should be demanded but not the key figures people beg for.

    I do find it hilarious that Mattel spent all the money they did on a 100% tooled figure, then she received the shortest production run to date. They are some super thinkers. People hate Preternian HM but at least he only had a few new parts.
    Shadow Weaver was a highly demanded figure, just because you didn't know who she was, doesn't mean the MOST others didn't.

    Sometimes people on here think that their knowledge on a subject is the same for everyone.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    It actually makes sense not to make a sought after character the sub exclusive figure. As we learned last year there isn't a direct correlation between fan demand for the character and subscription sales. It's also quite possible that a highly demanded character results in an above average number of subscription cancellations after subscribers receive the subscription figure. Making Ram-Man the sub figure would just encourage enterprising persons to sign up for a sub and then cancel their credit card or purposely not have sufficient funds in their bank account the month after Ram-Man ships.
    And if I was Mattel, I'd then make the sub exclusive figure come out in November. Two can play that game.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I think making SW the exclusive this year was one of the worst moves Mattel has made, but there is no reason to doubt that Scott is telling us the truth—unless you're into conspiracy theories...
    I will assume you thought the whole "reversed forearms on purpose" story regarding Stinkor was true. Right?

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I will assume you thought the whole "reversed forearms on purpose" story regarding Stinkor was true. Right?
    I will assume you have some tangible proof otherwise, right?
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Shadow Weaver was a highly demanded figure, just because you didn't know who she was, doesn't mean the MOST others didn't.

    Sometimes people on here think that their knowledge on a subject is the same for everyone.
    Actually had you read more thoroughly you would've noticed that I said a lot of people did want her. Thanks though.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I will assume you have some tangible proof otherwise, right?
    I don't need proof. All I need is my BS detector... and it never let me down yet.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    I don't need proof. All I need is my BS detector... and it never let me down yet.
    Actually, you do need proof. Calling someone a liar without it is slander or libel.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    It makes perfect business sense to put a very sought after figure out as the sub exclusive to drive the sales of the sub. As a collector/fan, I can understand why people would be against it, but as a business person, it is the perfect way to drive sales. I get the sub, so I dont mind one way or the other.
    This^^^^

    And as much as it sucks... I'm sure the same strategy will be applied for 2013.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Actually, you do need proof. Calling someone a liar without it is slander or libel.
    Funny, I don't recal using the word "liar" in any of my posts. You might want to back track a little and re-read.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •