Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #17: Randor: Its good to be the king

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Director's Commentary #17: Randor: Its good to be the king

It's back....

The vintage King Randor figure looked nothing like the cartoon.

He was part of one of the last waves of vintage figures and, from talking to a few executives who worked on the vintage line, it was pointed out to me that the old vintage Randor figure was a “low cost solution” figure to quickly get more figures to the market. This is why he was pretty much a new head and softgoods cape only. By minimizing tooling and reusing existing parts such as the Jitsu armor and Whiplash’s weapon, the vintage King Randor figure completed a wave that also included other low tool, quick-to-market figures like Scareglow, Clamp Champ, and Ninjor.

When it came time to getting Randor into the Classics line, we knew there were a few roads we could take. Doing the “vintage toy” version, which we tend to call “Battle Armor Randor,” around the office was part of the overall roadmap, but we also knew that the 2002 series introduced quite a few variations of Randor in different types of armor. As a major character and a fan favorite, we always knew the plan was to get to several versions of Randor in time.

But this is MOTU Classics after all, so we did really want to start with the vintage toy version first? Hopefully, in time, other slots will still be available to revisit Randor in one of his many alt outfits and armors from not only 200X, but now that we have Filmation rights, that version is always a possibility, too (i.e., “Throne Room Randor”).

Randor has always been an interesting toy. He did appear very early on in some of the vintage mini-comics and DC mini-series, but here he was drawn as a much older man with a gray beard and a long frock. It really was the Filmation series that made a star of him, appearing in almost 80% of the episodes (I’m sure Busta Toons can correct me on that one!). His appearance in the vintage line was clearly an influence from how much screen time he received. But, as stated earlier, he was part of a “rush to market” wave used to fill a product gap. So when his toy came out, it really looked nothing like the cartoon except for the head.

But needless to say, slapping Jitsu’s armor on the Tri-Klops body and sculpting up a new head really did make the vintage figure pop. The softgoods cloak in bright blue also added a nice color pallet to the figure. I never had the vintage Randor figure, but I do have fond memories of playing with one at my friend Shawn’s house (who, as I mentioned in earlier blogs, tended to have all the figures I did not – I always wondered if our parents were in cahoots).

When it came time to translate Randor into Classics, we started with the vintage figure and added a few details. For the most part, we have tried to stay away from softgoods in the Classics line. This meant Randor was going to have a plastic cape similar to Grayskull or He-Ro. We are not 100% against softgoods (or cloth, if you will) if there really is a compelling reason to use it, but for the most part the Horsemen and Mattel design really wanted Classics to have a unified look.

We’ve done a lot of research on capes (considering how super hero-heavy some of our other brands are this is a much discussed topic around Mattel!) The conclusion that multiple surveys have reached is that capes tend to split the fan base right down the middle. While 51% of fans prefer sculpted capes, 49% prefer softgoods. In the end, we let the Horsemen make the call and the choice was to make all MOTUC figures with sculpted capes and clothes unless there was a REALLY compelling reason we needed to use cloth parts. This was also done specifically to help transition the vintage dolls that were in the POP line into modern action figures. Going with a “no softgoods” guidelines helped solidify this and unified the line in terms of feel and look.

For the Classics Randor figure himself, he really is a straight translation of the vintage figure. One of the only differences is his weapons. For these, the Horsemen went straight up 200X, giving him a sword and staff inspired by the 200X line in lieu of the vintage spear (which was a repaint of a weapon originally with the vintage Whiplash figure).

Come to think of it, at the time I really didn’t ask them about this. It is a little odd now that I reflect, especially since the idea was that all the Classics figures were generally following the layout and accessories of the vintage counterparts (if one existed). I am guessing that perhaps the Horsemen were banking on a future variant of Randor (perhaps in one of his many 200X outfits) which could include the gold spear. In the end, we actually wound up offering this spear in the second weapon pak a year later. So if you held onto your Randor, you could weapon him up vintage-style by buying this accessory pack.

While Randor wound up being our December 2009 figure, originally he was supposed to ship in November with the December spot reserved for our first POP figure, Adora. We did this on purpose to try to give just a little hint of POP in our first full year. But alas, production issues with Mer-Man way back in February/March sent a ripple-effect through the whole year that pushed out all figures a month. This meant Scareglow got pushed from his Halloween debut, and Randor was pushed from the tail-end of the year in November to the very end of the year as the last monthly figure.

I was personally really excited to get to Randor. He was a figure that was an obvious choice to eventually include in the line, but getting to him so early was mostly because we also knew he had a lot of fan demanded variants. By doing his “classic toy” version in Year 1, it cleared the way to get to more variants in time (which now that I think about it, STILL has not happened).

Not only did I personally not own Randor from the vintage line, I also never got the awesome Staction from the 200X line. The King never had a figure in Mattel’s 200X line but, man, did the Horsemen knock it out of the park with their Staction. If I am remembering correct, a variant of it was offered at SDCC one year, but you could only buy it if you bought every toy that either Diamond or Action Figure Express was offering that year (AFX or Diamond was the distributor of the Stactions that year – I can’t remember which). All I do remember was in order to get this kick-butt Randor Staction, I was being forced to buy ALL of the SDCC items this distributor was selling and I had no interest in any of them except Randor. So I went without. So sad… never got my Randor.

Years later when I started working at Mattel, the Horsemen were kind enough to send me one after hearing I missed out (thanks, CB!), one of the cool fringe benefits of working for Mattel and running the MOTU line, I suppose.

So including Randor in the Classics line I suppose became a little bit of my retribution for missing out on the 200X station and never having owned the vintage toy. I’m really glad we got to him so early and honestly, as a HUGE fan of the 200X series, I really can’t wait to find a slot down the road for more Randor variants (and maybe they can even include the spear!).
    One last item on Randor was a quick hit on his “rosy cheeks.” When our early samples came back from Hong Kong, his cheeks had a bit more blush in them compared to the paintmaster. We asked for this to be corrected, and it was, but a very small amount did ship with a bit more red in the cheek. We really try to do all we can to minimize “variants” like this. Since MOTUC is sold online and customers do not have a choice in the exact figure they are buying (vs. at retail you can look through the pegs for one that meets your specific deco and assembly needs). But we just couldn’t afford to scrap the early run of Randor with the red in his cheeks. It isn’t THAT much different, but I can confirm there are two versions of Randor out there: one with just a little bit more red on his cheeks vs. a little less. Again, is this a true “variant?” I’ll leave that to the aftermarket. But I do remember this one slipping through and in order to hit out deadline we just did not have time to rework the small run that was made prior to our request to reduce the red in his cheek.

Burger King jokes aside, that is pretty much Randor in a nutshell. He is definitely an essential character and I am really glad we got to him so early in the line. One day perhaps we can revisit this character. As a core hero who had many, many legitimate looks throughout the history of MOTU, from the mini-comic old man to the Filmation green frock, King Randor is sure to live on in multiple incarnations as the true king of Eternia and a king among action figures.

With him complete, we had officially wrapped up the monthly 2009 line. One more variant to go (the notorious Green Goddess) and the books would close on 2009 and we could head out into unknown territory – the 2010 year, which would finally open the line up past vintage MOTU figures as we explored POP, NA, concept figures and more. The future never looked better. It’s good to be the king.

Until next time!

SdN

(AKA Toy Guru)
    Awesomesauce! The mention Randor variants in the plural! And he has a lot of looks...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Smells like a quarter 4 variant for 2012 ... how often does he mention Randor variants in this blog post?!

Heroic Warrior
    Finally! it seems like these are coming out every 2 weeks now instead of evey week. Hope this changes back. Nonetheless, good read as always.

That was a cool read!
    It's great to get this commentaries from Scott!

Having said that, seems like the next one is the Green Goddess... I can only imagine the upcoming comments here...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Smells like a quarter 4 variant for 2012 ... how often does he mention Randor variants in this blog post?!
    I've definitely noticed...Randor has a bunch of looks too.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Always a wonderful read, Mr. Toyguru. Your blogs have been off the hook lately. Really fun to read straight from our favorite Brand Manager.

"We are not 100% against softgoods (or cloth, if you will) if there really is a compelling reason to use it"

Is Ninjor a compelling reason?????
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I really, really want a bad-ass Captain Randor. This is definitely where MYP trumps Filmation in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    I really, really want a bad-ass Captain Randor. This is definitely where MYP trumps Filmation in my book.
    Agreed!!!!

Any character who spends a good amount of their time sitting on a throne should have a soft goods cape, in my opinion.

Sorceress should have had a cloth feather cape. That would have solved a lot of issues, and looked far better than what we got.

If I am remembering correct, a variant of it was offered at SDCC one year, but you could only buy it if you bought every toy that either Diamond or Action Figure Express was offering that year (AFX or Diamond was the distributor of the Stactions that year – I can’t remember which). All I do remember was in order to get this kick-butt Randor Staction, I was being forced to buy ALL of the SDCC items this distributor was selling and I had no interest in any of them except Randor.
    They really made you buy every product just to get Randor? I don't remember this.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Heroic Warrior
    A Battle-Armour/Battleground Randor and Marlena based on the 200X cartoon series designs would be very cool!

Especially if offered as a two-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    They really made you buy every product just to get Randor? I don't remember this.
    I know for a fact I got one without buying any other products. It's the only year I have ever had the chance to go!

I LOVE the both stactions and I LOVE the MOTUC Randor too! But I'm not to fussed on if the spear is included or not because I already have it! What I really want to see included is his 200X shield. Will it include the acid damage like the staction? I'll love it either way.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    A Battle-Armour/Battleground Randor and Marlena based on the 200X cartoon series designs would be very cool!

Especially if offered as a two-pack.
    Yes, a 2-pack would be the right way to do this. However, I would prefer we had a lot more 2-packs vs waiting a year to receive the counterpart, i.e. BA He-Man and BA Skeletor.

Heroic Warrior
    Only Randor variant I would want is an officialy licenced Burger King Randor. He can be slightly redesigned to look more like "the king" from Burger King. And come with a tray, Whopper with cheese, Large fries, and a Chocolate Milkshake. Make it happen toy company!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I just want a 200X King Randor, and call ir Captain Randor.

He must include the shield, the acid damaged shield and maybe a sword.

We dont need so many Randor variants, he is a main character, but in the background.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I think to wet the Filmation tongue it would be Filmation Randor and down the road a battleground Randor and Marlena 2 pack!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I want Filmation or MYP Randor.

The vintage/Classic Randor look is awful.

He easily ranks among my bottom 5 or 8 figures. The bright colors and reused Jitsu armor are bleh. Easily one of the worst figures in the line for me, though there's no QC issues with the figure or anything like that, just personal preference.

Good blog for an ugly uninteresting figure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I want Filmation or MYP Randor.

The vintage/Classic Randor look is awful.

He easily ranks among my bottom 5 or 8 figures. The bright colors and reused Jitsu armor are bleh. Easily one of the worst figures in the line for me, though there's no QC issues with the figure or anything like that, just personal preference.

Good blog for an ugly uninteresting figure though.
    For some odd reason I enjoy his ridiculous colors. It baffles me everyday lol.

Filmation Randor would make an awesome Filmation variant minisub figure.

If we got any of the MYP Randor's this year that'd be better than super.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    For some odd reason I enjoy his ridiculous colors. It baffles me everyday lol.
    Don't get me wrong, the bright colors are one of my favorite things about MOTU. I love how bright Sy-Klone is, for instance. I'm glad Syke wasn't dulled down in the classics line. Vintage Randor is just a terrible design, combined with a very gaudy color scheme.

I just don't like him.

It's Filmation or MYP Randor. Once we get one of them, the current classics one goes into the toy bin never to be seen again, where he belongs.

Vintage Randor looked nothing like Filmation Randor? Not so, really. Actually (And shame on Toy Guru for not even noticing - and then later claiming Filmation Randor had a green frock - um, no. Try Queen Marlena for the green frock), the vintage figure utilized the SAME color scheme as the Filmation design. It was the Filmation colors applied to a vintage figure body.

I hope the possible use of soft goods on a cape opens the door for a cloth netted cape for Netossa. I can't imagine a rubber netting cape holding up well. So many people have had problems with the net that Leech came with disintegrating.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

I'm calling it now: I think the Keldor Swords might come with Captain Randor. It would fit because Randor's always fighting Skeletor who is using those swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Vintage Randor looked nothing like Filmation Randor? Not so, really. Actually (And shame on Toy Guru for not even noticing - and then later claiming Filmation Randor had a green frock - um, no. Try Queen Marlena for the green frock), the vintage figure utilized the SAME color scheme as the Filmation design. It was the Filmation colors applied to a vintage figure body.
    I think he meant that Randor's Henry the VIIIth outfit was totally different from the Jitsu body with a cape.

He missed the part where Classics Randor armour is not a straight-up Jitsu armour, it has the royal cross thing going on...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    He missed the part where Classics Randor armour is not a straight-up Jitsu armour, it has the royal cross thing going on...
    I thought this too. It would have been interesting to hear about this. I just hope Jitsu has his original armor not Randors when he comes out.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Another great blog.
    The line "...getting to him so early was mostly because we also knew he had a lot of fan demanded variants" did unnerve me slightly. Now I know this always splits the vote, but I wish TG and co. would listen to the hordes (no pun intended) who feel that just so many darned variants is watering the line down too much, and taking us way too far down that 200x road that we were promised we would never go down. (At this rate, the notorious "Spin Blade" or "Disco Colours" are only a matter of time... shudder). The fact that the "numerous variants" thought pattern was being followed so early in the line, when we were always assured it would be kinda only on a "needs be / heavy fan demand" basis, maybe does kinda tally with why my personal interest in the line has dipped slightly in more recent times.

It's always fascinating to hear about the developments of these figures though. I always felt that including Randor, a key character in the franchise, so early on kinda made up for him getting such a raw deal of being a "tail end afterthought" from the original line.

Also... I won't pick up on "Randor's vintage weapon originally coming from Whiplash". Err... never had the Castle Grayskull weapons rack then, Scott?
    Last edited by Spacedust; June 14, 2012 at 08:42am.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...