Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #17: Randor: Its good to be the king

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I know for a fact I got one without buying any other products. It's the only year I have ever had the chance to go!
    Okay, going by memory here, but what I heard was that, initially, to get Randor you also had to buy a vinyl figure from the Horsemen's Magma Corps line. It may have been that later in the con that requirement was lifted, but, again, old dragon memories tend to get fuzzy after a while...

As for Randor, the really good news here is that the powers that be consider Randor a major character who merits multiple looks. Of course, I'm anxious for a Filmation version to go with Marlena, but I wouldn't object to a third warrior version based on one of the MYP designs, any of which would make for a striking action figure. I think I'd take a pass on "old man" Randor, though; both Filamtion and MYP made him to active a character in most people's minds for that look to really work. That version just doesn't look like a king who still has a good left hook...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

He said "make the...figure pop." Man, it's like he's trying to provoke people Never a fan of Randor, but as always I LOVE the director's commentary!

so happy to see hints of MYP randor(s?) in the future. i absolutely loved the way he looked in the series, not to mention marlena's battle armor from "of machines and men". i had one of the other .org members make a custom randor out of a battle sound he-man. i always wondered if the 4H had intended to make a randor for that line. the armor and the shoulder guard both looked like they were suited for a king randor figure.

Gosh! That vote in favor of plastic goods/ soft goods was really, really close. 49%to 51%!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Very interesting commentary on this one! Personally I'm waiting for a 200X Randor; I took off the head of this one to create MAN KING and I don't see myself ever returning it to Randor. It was the kingly beard that did it, I think. So few figures with beards! There's Fisto...that's about it. However, I will grant the fact that Fisto's beard holds the magnificence of ten men's normal beards...but that's still only in one man.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The one Randor is more than enough for me for now. An armored 200X inspired one might be interesting but there are so many more things I want before that in Classics. And Filmation Randor...no thanks. I'm not down with tights and puffy sleeves.

I always liked Randor. I did notice finally that toy randor is very close to filmation randor. Just take off his armour, and give him a blue robe/coat. Not that I want this mind you.

I dont know how much I want a captain randor (200x) but I'll take it if it comes. Could stand with Captain Glen. Be kinda cool. The "Two Captains".

I like that his armour in Classics is more focused on the cross motiff that they played up. And though I want consistancy in these figures, I do kinda hope jitsu gets a new armour sculpt

Randor was great, and having Marlena to go with him, is just fantastic.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Another great blog.
    The line "...getting to him so early was mostly because we also knew he had a lot of fan demanded variants" did unnerve me slightly. Now I know this always splits the vote, but I wish TG and co. would listen to the hordes (no pun intended) who feel that just so many darned variants is watering the line down too much, and taking us way too far down that 200x road that we were promised we would never go down. (At this rate, the notorious "Spin Blade" or "Disco Colours" are only a matter of time... shudder). The fact that the "numerous variants" thought pattern was being followed so early in the line, when we were always assured it would be kinda only on a "needs be / heavy fan demand" basis, maybe does kinda tally with why my personal interest in the line has dipped slightly in more recent times.
    I think Mattel likes making more money on variants that fans actually want versus never making money on a character again after their initial appearance.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I could see them trying to say that Jitsu was formerly the King and Queens personal bodyguard and then did something to be disgraced (attempted to usurp power from Randor ?), which is then where Clamp-Champ stepped in and took over that role- and later became MAA. This would allow Mattel to simply reuse the Randor armor and have a good excuse for doing so. *note: I hope i'm wrong*.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have a feeling we might have gotten a hint about a sub figure. Captain Randor or King Miro would make sense for a sub exclusive.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I have a feeling we might have gotten a hint about a sub figure. Captain Randor or King Miro would make sense for a sub exclusive.
    It won't be Miro as I think we would see equal backlash to Weavergate for putting a never before offered character as a sub exclusive- I DO agree though that Captain Randor would be an ideal candidate for the slot if he isn't already planned as the 4th quarter variant which I don't see being likely personally.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    It won't be Miro as I think we would see equal backlash to Weavergate for putting a never before offered character as a sub exclusive- I DO agree though that Captain Randor would be an ideal candidate for the slot if he isn't already planned as the 4th quarter variant which I don't see being likely personally.
    I wish Captain Randor would be the 4th quarter variant this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Very interesting commentary on this one! Personally I'm waiting for a 200X Randor; I took off the head of this one to create MAN KING and I don't see myself ever returning it to Randor. It was the kingly beard that did it, I think. So few figures with beards! There's Fisto...that's about it. However, I will grant the fact that Fisto's beard holds the magnificence of ten men's normal beards...but that's still only in one man.
    I agree! We need more beards in MOTUC!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    "Make the figure pop" is my newest, favorite Toyguru trolling catchphrase.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior

Nah.... I'm sure there would be complaining for the sake of complaining... just as there was for Wundar and PD He-man... (I would have LOVED the movie key....) But Miro is pretty small potatoes.

There's a difference between someone who wasn't around much and was only in a couple of episodes... and Shadow Weaver. #1 most requested Filmation character who was in over 50 of the 90 PoP episodes... in fact... http://www.darah.com/she-ra/usrg/index.asp lists all the appearances... and SW was a more common character then Glimmer... or Catra... or ANY of the Horde besides Hordak...

In fact She-ra, Swift Wind, Bow and Hordak, are the only ones more important to the PoP show than Shadow weaver was.

Putting her as an exclusive EARNED every torch and pitchfork lit

Miro... MOST people don't even know who he is outside of rumor...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I've been looking forward for a Randor variant from day one of his first reveal. Flimation Randor, 200x or captain Randor. I'm excited for a variant of the king.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Nah.... I'm sure there would be complaining for the sake of complaining... just as there was for Wundar and PD He-man... (I would have LOVED the movie key....) But Miro is pretty small potatoes.

There's a difference between someone who wasn't around much and was only in a couple of episodes... and Shadow Weaver. #1 most requested Filmation character who was in over 50 of the 90 PoP episodes... in fact... http://www.darah.com/she-ra/usrg/index.asp lists all the appearances... and SW was a more common character then Glimmer... or Catra... or ANY of the Horde besides Hordak...

In fact She-ra, Swift Wind, Bow and Hordak, are the only ones more important to the PoP show than Shadow weaver was.

Putting her as an exclusive EARNED every torch and pitchfork lit

Miro... MOST people don't even know who he is outside of rumor...
    .. umm he's Randor's father what do you mean rumor? I do agree though that people would complain regardless, but do we really need increasing negative attention for the line given the recent SLL and TMS backlash?

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    Not only did I personally not own Randor from the vintage line, I also never got the awesome Staction from the 200X line. The King never had a figure in Mattels 200X line but, man, did the Horsemen knock it out of the park with their Staction. If I am remembering correct, a variant of it was offered at SDCC one year, but you could only buy it if you bought every toy that either Diamond or Action Figure Express was offering that year (AFX or Diamond was the distributor of the Stactions that year I cant remember which). All I do remember was in order to get this kick-butt Randor Staction, I was being forced to buy ALL of the SDCC items this distributor was selling and I had no interest in any of them except Randor. So I went without. So sad never got my Randor.
    Funny how Scott is lamenting, when it negatively affects him, the very same thing Mattel does to us every single year. Makes us buy a whole year's worth of figures just to get a sub "exclusive".
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Heroic Warrior
    .. umm he's Randor's father what do you mean rumor? ?
    I was a MASSIVE fan of MOTU since I was 4 and it was very first released 30 years ago.

I had the mini's I had over 80% of the figures over half the vehicles... Both Castles... I was allowed 1/2 hour of tv, and it was ALWAYS He-man... even in high school when friends had questions about the franchise I was the one they went to.. NOBODY in my area had the collection I had...

I had NO idea who 'miro' was until I joined this board...

It took forever to find a picture of filmation versions, and I still haven't seen the 200x version... was it in the show? or the Comic?

I've never been a fan of the C, D or Z list 'background' characters... People like Randor and Marlena who sit on the throne all day long or get kidnapped? Not interesting to me... But even I'll admit they are known and recognized...

Had Marlena been the sub exclusive there would have been rioting for her too...

Miro? I just don't see it.

I do agree though that people would complain regardless, but do we really need increasing negative attention for the line given the recent SLL and TMS backlash?
    As you say... it's gonna happen regardless of who they put in that slot. Miro would be an excellent choice for such a slot.

It was designed around the 'you don't NEED the guy, but fans may LIKE them' concept, and there was never anything that indicated that it HAD to be a varient. Any C, D, or Z list character would do just fine. Wundar, PD HE-MAN, Horde Prime... They are all ideal for the slot...

I would be VERY surprised if they keep focusing on 'varients' like they did the first two years... Varients get JUST as much backlash as every other figure now days... SMAA, DB Skeletor, TP He-man, Battleground Evil Lyn...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wow View Post
    Funny how Scott is lamenting, when it negatively affects him, the very same thing Mattel does to us every single year. Makes us buy a whole year's worth of figures just to get a sub "exclusive".
    ROFL!!!! Ok... THAT'S an excellent point!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wow View Post

lol, I know, it's hilariously contrary.

Poor Scott couldn't get his Randor. Guess what? I couldn't get one either? Pay for one you cheapskate!

Another good blog from Scott.
    I loved the vintage Randor figure as a kid and often used to put his cape on He-Man. I'd love to get all three version on the 200x Randor that MGM posted but I think the first one, Captain Randor, is the one I want most. But I really want both those helmets (and a helmetless head), so Battle-Armour/Battleground Randor (and Marlena) would be my second choice and finally normal 200x version, which is the 200x version I'm least fussed about. I hope we do get the vintage spear with a Randor variant for those of us who didn't get the weapons pak, and also the 200x shield with no acid damage please. Didn't Captain Randor's sword in the MPY series look different to the staction/MOTUC sword?

One variant I'm 100% not bothered about though is Filmation Randor, no thanks, or the old DC comics version either for that matter.

I don't think he's remembering the staction quite right though. I seem to remember the first version was a SDCC exclusive and when you bought it you got an SDCC exclusive Magma C.O.R.P.S Commander Argus figure included with it. I got mine from the Four Horsemen Store after the show, I sold the Argus figure on eBay a while back got a good price for it. The second classic colours version was an AFX exclusive.

I also agree the they made a good choice with no soft goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    the vintage figure utilized the SAME color scheme as the Filmation design. It was the Filmation colors applied to a vintage figure body.
    I'm glad somebody pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I just hope Jitsu has his original armor not Randors when he comes out.
    Agreed, I'm glad they changed it a little for Randor but Jitsu's need to be just like the vintage design.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I'm very glad they went with soft plastic instead of fabric... Cloth in my opinion cheapens a figure considerably.
    "From here to Eterni...a"

Yay! Adora's next.