View Poll Results: Who would you like to see redesigned next?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mer-man

13 17.81%
  • Stratos

9 12.33%
  • Tri-klops

12 16.44%
  • Ram-man

8 10.96%
  • One of the 30th Anniversary characters

20 27.40%
  • A vehicle or a A Castle/location

11 15.07%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motu Redesign Challenge #102 - TRAP JAW!

Movie mayhem!

Motu Redesign Challenge #102 - TRAP JAW!

ROUND #102
    TRAP JAW

Well challenge "#101: He-man" was a huge success. As you all know we had 44 entries which is awesome! Not only that they were all outstanding. Choosing between the entries was easier the hardest it has ever been for me and I know most of you felt the same. Anyway, thank you to you all for making it such a great round and grats once again to Bearshow on his win!

Your winning entry has been added to the facebook winners gallery.

Check out our facebook page HERE and please "like" it.

For this round we have moved to a villian: Trap Jaw! I have included a few images of him below but feel free to add more reference images below as well as your entries for the contest.

So let the games begin!

HERE WE GO!!!!

- All people who choose to participate will have 30 days to come up with a redesign for this character.

-You can use ANY medium you wish! You can sketch, paint, make a 3-D model,
    make a sprite, make a custom action figure, whatever you want. Its entirely up to you!

-You don't have to force yourself to make your design conform to the new OR OLD cartoon & comic book's style.
    Be as drastic in your redesign as you see fit. Whatever makes you happy, all that is necessary is that you add something all-NEW,
    however big or small, to the characters visual appearance.

-If you can't think of a new design, or just hate the idea of working on this character,
    you do not have to feel obligated to participate in this particular challenge.
    You will still be free to participate in any future challenges you wish.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS August 1st!!

Side note: While entries are entered please take the opportunity to vote on who/what you'd like to see as the subject of our next redesign aka challenge #103.

Also please visit our character suggestion thread to let us know who you'd like to see as a redesign challenge. You can find that thread HERE
    Last edited by Patreek; July 1, 2012 at 10:11pm.

Movie mayhem!
    Also just thought i'd mention that Kronis can and will probably be a challenge of his own someday so lets try to stick to TrapJaw for this round.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Dangit, I've been off the forums as a regular for a while and missed the He-Man redesign, which I woulda loved to have got in on.

Anyway, remind me if each contestant is limted to one entry (as in, final design) per challenge? I'd like to do an "extreme redesign" and a more "gentle update" of Trap Jaw, and not sure if I can enter both.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Movie mayhem!
    Just one entry per person, but feel free to show us both. Just indicate which you want to be officially entered. Perhaps get a feel for which one people are liking more and then let us know before the deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Just one entry per person, but feel free to show us both. Just indicate which you want to be officially entered. Perhaps get a feel for which one people are liking more and then let us know before the deadline?
    Yeah that was what I was thinking. I'll probably post both but have a feeling I'll have more fun with the "extreme makeover" one. Although I don't personally like MOTU too "dark", with someone like Trap Jaw you can go to town and make it a bit more gruesome!
    (Yeah right. I can just about draw anything vaguely recognisable these days as it is!!)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

well this should be interesting, looking forward to seeing the redesigns.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Movie mayhem!
    I'm happy to say our facebook group has seen quite a spike in viewers after I posted the winning entry for #101 as well as the link to this new round. In the spirit of that I thought I'd offer up the following: First Trap Jaw entry gets featured on the facebook page. :-) Happy creating.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I'm happy to say our facebook group has seen quite a spike in viewers after I posted the winning entry for #101 as well as the link to this new round. In the spirit of that I thought I'd offer up the following: First Trap Jaw entry gets featured on the facebook page. :-) Happy creating.
    Is that first final entry or first rough? Cos I've just posted a very early, VERY primative rough on facebook. Complete with way-out-of-kilter legs!
    ~jay firestorm~

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Is that first final entry or first rough? Cos I've just posted a very early, VERY primative rough on facebook. Complete with way-out-of-kilter legs!
    First final entry.

Oh dammit. Well I ain't rushing. I don't wanna spoil my colouring in(!) Seriously I am so rusty that this one is just for fun, for me and no-one else.
    ~jay firestorm~

I did a couple of quick and sloppy sketches to get some ideas down. I thought I'd share - I always love seeing an artist's thought process!

I think I'm going to go more with a "space pirate" feel; I remember when I was little and I saw Trap-Jaw's toy for the first time, I thought he was some kind of futuristic pirate, gliding through space on a monstrous pirate ship.

I like the "Frankenstein" concept of Trappy, but I feel like the 4H took that to a perfect level with the 200X design, and I don't feel like that route will get that much better (for me), only grosser .

Should have a final, official entry up soon - lots of stuff going on this week!
    Visit me at www.cjedwardsart.com

Now with more Facebook! Personal: http://www.facebook.com/welcomeback/...cj.edwards.142 and Official CJ Edwards Art page: http://www.facebook.com/cjedwardsart

For more Bearshow art, please visit my DeviantArt account: http://cjedwardsart.deviantart.com/

Heroic Warrior
    @ Bearshow

Cool concept! I especially like those two head concepts on far left and at the bottom of the page. And that dragon parrot-squid is adorable!
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshow View Post
    I did a couple of quick and sloppy sketches to get some ideas down. I thought I'd share - I always love seeing an artist's thought process!
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...awConcepts.jpg
    I think I'm going to go more with a "space pirate" feel; I remember when I was little and I saw Trap-Jaw's toy for the first time, I thought he was some kind of futuristic pirate, gliding through space on a monstrous pirate ship.

I like the "Frankenstein" concept of Trappy, but I feel like the 4H took that to a perfect level with the 200X design, and I don't feel like that route will get that much better (for me), only grosser .

Should have a final, official entry up soon - lots of stuff going on this week!
    Ummm.... I'll just give up now (quietly exits stage left)
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior
    I'm definitely in Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Ummm.... I'll just give up now (quietly exits stage left)
    yes if Bearshow is in I suggest everyone else follow this guy off stage

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Loving the Squid Bat Parrot Bearshow. Loving the Space Pirate design too I'm hoping to do this, even if its just a sketch I might just do bad guys
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a WIP from me... Its still preliminary sketch, it's nothing spectacular for now. Still trying to decide what to do with his arm and what to change from classic design.. I'm trying to make him work as some sort of "live action movie" design..

Anyway:

I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshow View Post
    I remember when I was little and I saw Trap-Jaw's toy for the first time, I thought he was some kind of futuristic pirate, gliding through space on a monstrous pirate ship.
    Me too! Still do... Nice sketches, cool idea to share the thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastAttak View Post
    Here's a WIP from me...
    Woah, nice! I am so looking forward to the finished version now - your work is awesome! Again, I think that sharing these initial stages is a great thing! Let's see it come together.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Movie mayhem!
    Looks cool so far guys. :-)

My son's friend was over last night and he was introducing him to He-man. His friend saw Trap Jaw and said "I call the pirate of death" if only I had a shred of artistic talant cause I can't look at Trap Jaw the same way since!!!!

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Ohhhh this will be good!

Good stuff so far! I've been sketching away. I'm going to really try to push this one and go for something different here.

Pirate Trap Jaw.JPG Whataya's think?! (it's my blueprint via heromachine)

Heroic Warrior
    Here's heavy update of my redesign...

Lots of detailing, fixing and redrawing awaits me.. I won't spam wit progress pics anymore..
    Last edited by BlastAttak; July 7, 2012 at 12:30pm.

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

that looks so cool