Thread: Netflix to reboot Voltron

Netflix to reboot Voltron

As part of an expanded new, multi-year deal between the production partners, Netflix will launch several new series from DreamWorks Animation, including a reimagining of Voltron.

In its original mid-198os incarnation, the animated adventure series followed a team of astronauts who pilot the titular giant super-robot. Later offshoots included Voltron: The Third Dimension (in 1988) and NickToons’ Voltron Force (in 2011).

Also in the animated pipeline is Trollhunters, from Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth, The Strain) and set in a fantastical world where two best friends make a startling discovery beneath their hometown.
    via TV Line
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Hmmm...third time is the charm?

How come Voltron gets so many chances at a comeback?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hmmm...third time is the charm?

Technically 4th, original, 3rd dimension, Voltron Force, and now this.

I think it gets so many chances because WEP keeps actively pursuing outlets for the characters. I wish Mattel was as ambitious.
    Is not not licking toads

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Because a super giant robot consisting of giant robot lions killing monsters with a huge sword is always cool.

A near naked tremendously strong guy in furry shorts letting his enemies live to fight another day...not so much.

So I'm thinking entertainment outlets are more keen to give Voltron multiple shots at new shows.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; January 5, 2016 at 04:56pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Voltron is even back in the comic stores again. Though the story seems to involve a future 200 years after Voltron fell in battle. There are flashbacks scenes, but Haggar is the only original character to return so far. I'm not sure how interested I am in this new batch of Voltron pilots. I feel that the MOTU and Jem comics are doing a much better job with these properties.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I'm kind of surprised Voltron is getting another reboot already after the last one failed (I did actually like Voltron Force, though). At least in the U.S., it doesn't seem like Voltron has ever come close to matching the popularity that MOTU has had in the past.

Trailers up!

I'm not sure, but have they (for now) switched Keith and Sven? It looks like maybe the uniform colors are going to match the lion colors--but the characters will still wear the same colors as before, making Sven the leader instead of Keith! I'm betting Sven will still go down, only now more like Ned Stark.

Not sure I like Zarkon's look, but it's not hideous.

I don't know who the anime girl is who greets them, but it doesn't look like how I'd want Allura to look (and where's Coran?).

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this more now!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Trailers up!

I'm not sure, but have they (for now) switched Keith and Sven? It looks like maybe the uniform colors are going to match the lion colors--but the characters will still wear the same colors as before, making Sven the leader instead of Keith! I'm betting Sven will still go down, only now more like Ned Stark.
    It's possible; I believe one of the comic series that came out a few years ago (probably Voltron Year One, which didn't actually have Voltron in it, IIRC) had Sven as the original leader of the team, and he wound up stepping down after bungling a mission.

This is going to be awesome

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    It's possible; I believe one of the comic series that came out a few years ago (probably Voltron Year One, which didn't actually have Voltron in it, IIRC) had Sven as the original leader of the team, and he wound up stepping down after bungling a mission.
    I seem to recall that as well, however, I believe it involved drugs use as the main reason he stepped down as leader. Sven is also no longer his name, he's Shiro, which takes it back to his Japanese GoLion name.

While the uniform colors are all the same for each character (Hunk's was actually orange in the original cartoon) and they do seem to have Sven/Shiro front and center, is he actually piloting Black Lion? He flew the Blue Lion before he was grievously wounded in the original's episode 6, (killed in GoLion) and then Allura took her place in Blue.

I'm sad that they didn't bring the original VA's back for the show, other than Lennie Weinrib (Hunk/Lotor) who passed away in 2006) all of them are still active voicing. Neil Ross (Keith/Pidge), Michael Bell (Lance/Sven), BJ Ward (Allura/Haggar/Nanny), Peter Cullen (Coran), Jack Angel (Zarkon/Yurak), Tress MacNeille (Queen Merla). Listening to the new trailer, none of the space explorers have very distinctive voices, Hunk, Lance, Sven/Shiro, even Pidge, (who's voiced by a woman) sound alike.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor