Thread: Transformers Masterpiece discussion thread

Hybrid View

Transformers Masterpiece discussion thread

A few months ago I decided I was done with Transformers. I was a Classics collector but when that line kept being bumped for the movie line I decided I was done with Transformers.

I still keep an eye on the news and so far I was able to resist any temptations and then I saw this;

Soundwave w/ Lazerbeak

^ in the background is Buzzsaw, MP Ravage and a new MP Frenzy/Rumble mold. The cassete tapes even come with a case.

Sideswipe

Red Alert

I have already preordered all 3.

I have a couple of Masterpiece Trasnformers already, Grimlock, Starscream and Skywarp and as good as they are the look of the new ones is simply astounding. I will now certainly be picking up the MP-10 Optimus Prime when it gets released here in October.
    Last edited by TheFallen; June 15, 2012 at 10:06pm.

Those are beautiful. How much are they?
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

BBTS has Soundwave for $170 and the cars for $84

Yeah, these are very nice. I think the efforts of a lot of the third party manufacturers are forcing TakaraTomy to step up their game. I'm not a huge Transformers fan but I really enjoy some of the designs and I think I'm going to try to collect Soundwave and his cassettes.

I'm looking forward to the Hasbro MP-10 release. I hope Shockwave and Wheeljack are next!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    BBTS has Soundwave for $170 and the cars for $84
    *Whistles* Geez louise, that's a hell of alot.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Snagged Prime at TRU today. I had a 20% off coupon, so it was only $84 with tax.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

As bad as I want these, especially Soundwave, I think I'm gonna wait for the Hasbro releases. It seems like the people who dish out their money for the first Takara version of these Masterpiece TF's always get screwed. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now Hasbro puts out Soundwave with all 5 cassettes in one package that you can pick up at TRU for half the price of the Takara version.
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

Saw pics of these. They're amazing. Sideswipe was my fav as a kid. Wish I had the scratch to get them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

For anyone else who is a scale nazi like me;

From left to right: MP-11, MP-12, MP-13, MP-10

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    There the transformers that everyone wants. By the time they get here in the states they cast an arm and a leg
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Soundwave is probably -the- most requested Transformer to get the MP treatment, and from the shots it does not look like he will let anyone down. The fact that there may be an "upgrade pack" with Ravage and Frenzy/Rumble only makes it all the sweeter. Since Takara want to make sure they have opportunities to release new versions of all the (extremely expensive) Masterpiece molds, apparently Sunstreaker will also happen as a slight retool of the Sideswipe one. So along with the already previewed Red Alert, that's at least three reuses. I can only think of one obvious repaint for the Soundwave, though, that being the obvious Soundblaster version.

That sideswipe rock I have little interst in the mp line(I got 20th prime and that's enough) but I coyld be tepted with him(and grimlock too)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

First time I've seen pics of Soundwave! He looks awesome! He's the one I've been waiting for, I cant wait to get him!
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

God the TF figures look so nice.... I [REALLY] wished that I could afford to collect the Masterpiece TransFormers as well as the MOTUC line.
    But due to financial living situation atm... I will finish the MOTUC line first.. then [if possible] try to snag a few of these if the price isn't "insanely" high by then.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    A few months ago I decided I was done with Transformers. I was a Classics collector but when that line kept being bumped for the movie line I decided I was done with Transformers.
    Done with Transformers?! Big F...you disappoint me. Classics is good but MP is the cream of the crop. There is no toyline now that can boast that attention to detail and still allow transformations that look so much like their alternate and robot forms. They had a misstep in Rodimus Prime but everything else has been superb. Personally, I have them all (except Sunstorm which I have yet to pull the trigger on due to space and his extremely limited show appearance) but I even got white Optimus Prime (Ultra Magnus) in the hopes that they would release and Ultra Magnus armor set later for it (which to my knowledge they haven't yet).

But yeah, I've already pre-ordered my Soundwave, Sideswipe and Red Alert MP figures. To me, Soundwave is the second most iconic Decepticon there is and I'm not going to miss him.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; June 18, 2012 at 08:43am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Done with Transformers?! Big F...you disappoint me. Classics is good but MP is the cream of the crop. There is no toyline now that can boast that attention to detail and allow still alllow transformations that look so much like their alternate and robot forms. They had a misstep in Rodimus Prime but everything else has been superb. Personally, I have them all (except Sunstorm which I have yet to pull the trigger on due to space and his extremely limited show appearance) but I even got white Optimus Ptime (Ultra Magnus) in the hopes that they would release and Ultra Magnus armor set later for it (which to my knowledge they haven't yet).

But yeah, I've already pre-ordered my Soundwave, Sideswipe and Red Alert MP figures. To me, Soundwave is the second most iconic Decepticon there is and I'm not going to miss him.
    I notice you didn't mention the Movie toys, BJH

As I said above, I am a bit of a stickler for scale. I know that scale in Trasnformers is all over the place but the difference in scale between MP-01-05 and MP-08 was too much for me to get excited about. As I have been finding out, TakaraTomy did a kind of "soft reboot" starting with MP-10 and everything is now in closer scale, which can be seen with Sideswipe and Soundwave.

I already have Masterpiece Starscream, Skywarp and Grimlock so they fit with MP-10 already. If what I have heard is true, MP Thundercracker is getting released by Hasbro as well as MP-10 before the end of the year. That means I will have to drop the $400 on the iGear Coneheads so I can have the Seekers. I guess I will have to pick up Sunstorm as well.

If TakaraTomy are going to be doing characters like Soundwave and Sideswipe/Red Alert then that gives me hope they might work their way through the 84-86 line up. That is worth getting excited about for and old Geewunner like myself.

If TakaraTomy are going to be doing characters like Soundwave and Sideswipe/Red Alert then that gives me hope they might work their way through the 84-86 line up. That is worth getting excited about for and old Geewunner like myself.
    The sales on MP Sideswipe will most likely determine how this goes. Up until this the MP line has stuck to the iconic characters of the franchise (and indeed, Soundwave is another one to that mix), but in adding an obscure character like Sideswipe in the form of what amounts to an extremely expensive Deluxe the faith of the buyers will be tested. Then tested again with the Red Alert retool. And then again with the Sunstreaker retool. Should these sell sufficiently well we may just see more Autobot cars in the future, and if not there's always a few more iconic characters left to do (Bumblebee and Shockwave spring to mind).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Are these things fragile? I've heard that Megatron was.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The sales on MP Sideswipe will most likely determine how this goes. Up until this the MP line has stuck to the iconic characters of the franchise (and indeed, Soundwave is another one to that mix), but in adding an obscure character like Sideswipe in the form of what amounts to an extremely expensive Deluxe the faith of the buyers will be tested. Then tested again with the Red Alert retool. And then again with the Sunstreaker retool. Should these sell sufficiently well we may just see more Autobot cars in the future, and if not there's always a few more iconic characters left to do (Bumblebee and Shockwave spring to mind).
    The one thing I have noticed with Transformers fans is how deep their pockets are. As an import, the price on Sideswipe/Red Alert isn't that bad. If Hasbro decided to release them then I am sure they would be much cheaper.

If Transformers fans are willing to pay 3rd party makers $50-$100 for scout-deluxe sized Transformers (FansProject Swindle/Blastoff at $50 and TFC Hercules components at $90 each) then I can certainly seem them paying the asking price for the cars. Especially if said cars look exactly like their original alt modes and a vastly superior robot mode.

As it looks now, TakaraTomy seem to be testing the waters to make this a "line" which would certainly be collector focused. They have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    From my experience, they are not as solid as the Classics style figures. The tail wings on my Starscream seem to be very fragile so I try to take care of them. And they are pretty damn big so I guess they can't really be too solid.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I notice you didn't mention the Movie toys, BJH
    Mentioning the live action movies makes me angry, Big F. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

As I said above, I am a bit of a stickler for scale. I know that scale in Trasnformers is all over the place but the difference in scale between MP-01-05 and MP-08 was too much for me to get excited about.
    Well, MP scale is not anymore out of scale than the original line but I can respect your stand. At $80-$100+ for MP Transformers, I can understand any hesitancy at buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hmmm...I don't know. I don't really touch mine after transforming them and applying the stickers (on the seekers). I know I had a deuce of a time trying to get the orange safety plug out of Megatron's barrel when I first got him. But he withstood it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!