Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing paint apps - a new trend?

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar

Missing paint apps - a new trend?

Comparing the picture of the packaged Horde Prime to his prototype, I noticed that he is now missing some paint apps: all gray areas (chest, shoulders and belt) of the prototype are gone and the rivets aren't painted silver any more.

I m,entioned this in another thread. Noone seemed to care...

And as most may know, that's not the only case of missing paint apps lately:
    The "Snake Mountain" stands missed the red lava in the rock cracks and Stinkor's accessories missed their metallic blue details.
    I know that the final product often differs quite a bit from the prototype, but this is getting more noticeable lately... I don't like the measure of these cost saving methods... Sure it's better than loosing accessories, but we DID loose the staff of Horde Prime nonetheless!

What do you guys think?

Grettings,
    DB
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    It sucks when this happens, but unfortunately that's sometimes the case when going fromt he painted prototype to the production piece. The prototypes almost always contain nice and more elaborate paint apps. To save on costs, the final production piece often lacks a few of the details the prototypes have.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    It sucks when this happens, but unfortunately that's sometimes the case when going fromt he painted prototype to the production piece. The prototypes almost always contain nice and more elaborate paint apps. To save on costs, the final production piece often lacks a few of the details the prototypes have.
    I know that that's the case most of the time, Dan. But I don't think it's a good sign that this seems to get more noticeable recently. It sucks to lose accessories or paint apps. In Horde Prime's case we're loosing both.

I don't see any difference on Prime save for the arms possibly. Not a biggie, will have to see how he looks oop.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Yes, losing both is bad. There are many paint apps missing from Draego man as well, but aren't as noticeable as this. I thought Horde prime looked bad in package. This was why, obviously.

Edit: I just noticed that his belly under the armor in package looks different than the prototype. What is that? New tooling? That and the missing gray paint on the belt are what make them the most different looking. Also the rivets missing is very jarring as well. So much for "we leave these design decisions to the 4 horsemen."
    Last edited by darkmoon766; May 9, 2012 at 11:01am.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    So they decided to save some money on paint... if you never seen the prototype you wouldn't know what you're missing. The figure looks good.

I'm sorry, but it hasn't been getting more noticeable recently. Green Goddess had a totally different paint job (different plastic, actually) and Scare Glow lost a black wash on his face, and...well those are the ones off the top of my head. I'll bet you most of the prototypes have missing or changed apps on thier production figures. This isn't anything new; look at some back-of-the-package shots of toys back in the day and you'll see the same thing. This hasn't increased any lately. Same 'ol same 'ol.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Your best option is to buy some paints & a brush.

Join the part-time customisers!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Thing is, this is a new trend; we usually don't lose that much, if any, paint apps with this line. Little thing like the painted rivets have survived into he finished product in the past. There's a definite pattern of late with paint details being scaled back. It's obviously a cost cutting maneuver, and not really unexpected, given the state of the Matty site and the decrease in subs this year. We're likely to see more of the same next year, maybe worse (even with the proposed cost increase), when sub sales dip again...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

So again, they are making more changes to what the Four Horsemen came up with? Scott really needs to realize that if The Four Horsemen comes up with something. Unless there is a out cry of fan response. They should leave it alone! Besides the lack of paint detail on Horde Prime doe not make him POP!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

It's kind of a bummer. I really liked the gray belt on Horde Prime but it seems they snuck in some extra bits on his belly so I will just have to wait until I have the figure. I don't mind painting on some of the rivets, but it really shouldn't be the case.

I was actually surprised that they are adding the gold/metallic orange paint to Snake Man-At-Arms armor. I wanted the same thing since the original MAA figure. They added that yet they couldn't spring for metallic apps on Stinkors weapons. I know Stinkor has more tooling but not that much.

It would be nice if Mattel and the four horsemen would consult with each other a little more before debuting a figure so they can keep from teasing us with great accessories and paint apps and manage our expectations better.
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I'm sorry, but it hasn't been getting more noticeable recently. Green Goddess had a totally different paint job (different plastic, actually) and Scare Glow lost a black wash on his face, and...well those are the ones off the top of my head. I'll bet you most of the prototypes have missing or changed apps on thier production figures. This isn't anything new; look at some back-of-the-package shots of toys back in the day and you'll see the same thing. This hasn't increased any lately. Same 'ol same 'ol.
    Look at Moss Man...completely different color!

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Yes, losing both is bad. There are many paint apps missing from Draego man as well, but aren't as noticeable as this. I thought Horde prime looked bad in package. This was why, obviously.

Edit: I just noticed that his belly under the armor in package looks different than the prototype. What is that? New tooling? That and the missing gray paint on the belt are what make them the most different looking. Also the rivets missing is very jarring as well. So much for "we leave these design decisions to the 4 horsemen."
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I think you are right, they changed the ab crunch from the armor piece of Hordak to He-Man's one with musculature, aaaaarrrghhhhhhh. Leave it to the 4H. Who is that guy making those changes? Please stop it, stop it NOW! Thank you!

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Stinkor's accesories in plain blue are unforgivable.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a-star View Post
    It's kind of a bummer. I really liked the gray belt on Horde Prime but it seems they snuck in some extra bits on his belly so I will just have to wait until I have the figure. I don't mind painting on some of the rivets, but it really shouldn't be the case.

I was actually surprised that they are adding the gold/metallic orange paint to Snake Man-At-Arms armor. I wanted the same thing since the original MAA figure. They added that yet they couldn't spring for metallic apps on Stinkors weapons. I know Stinkor has more tooling but not that much.

It would be nice if Mattel and the four horsemen would consult with each other a little more before debuting a figure so they can keep from teasing us with great accessories and paint apps and manage our expectations better.
    I had noticed the missing paint . Quite frankly I think it really ruins Horde Prime - now he looks almost solid black. Same with Stinkor's weapons, they look like Happy Meal toys without any paint wash or enhanced details...

I guess Toyguru and Mattel are struggling with the overall budget alotted for this particular line. While I understand limitations on weapons, I think the lack of paint is really an issue. Maybe they should do a few less figures next year or something? This isn't the 1980's anymore and these figures deserve shading and painted details, especially since the Four Horsemen actually sculpt these details... I wonder how much does it cost to add an extra paint scheme on a figure run.

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    Stinkor's accesories in plain blue are unforgivable.
    AGREED. that alone made me decide to skip Stinkor. (i don't mind the forearms)
    Last edited by oulala; May 9, 2012 at 11:37am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Stinkor's weapons losing the paint apps
    Thunder punch He-Man losing paint wash on his loincloth
    Horde Prme missing details on circuitry

Hopefully this isnt a new trend - 3 figures in a row
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post

Check out all the details missing from the Draegoman proto.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Your best option is to buy some paints & a brush.

Join the part-time customisers!
    I've been a customizer for quite some years, so that's not a problem at all.
    I just thought it'd be a intersting topic to discuss.

Scott did mention this, it wasn't what they wanted to do but they had to cut costs. They did this versus losing accessories, look at all Stinkor comes with.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post

Both of my TP He-Man's have washed Boots and loin cloth, it's very subtle but it's definitely there. And they also claim the 2013 price increase will fix this, and the missing accessories....no, it won't, there will just be another excuse why they have to be left out. I say when they unveil things, how about adding 1 or 2 accessories to the prototype....then when we see a few extra things with the final figure, we will be excited instead of disappointed.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Comparing the picture of the packaged Horde Prime to his prototype, I noticed that he is now missing some paint apps: all gray areas (chest, shoulders and belt) of the prototype are gone and the rivets aren't painted silver any more.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...comparison.jpg
    I m,entioned this in another thread. Noone seemed to care...

And as most may know, that's not the only case of missing paint apps lately:
    The "Snake Mountain" stands missed the red lava in the rock cracks and Stinkor's accessories missed their metallic blue details.
    I know that the final product often differs quite a bit from the prototype, but this is getting more noticeable lately... I don't like the measure of these cost saving methods... Sure it's better than loosing accessories, but we DID loose the staff of Horde Prime nonetheless!

What do you guys think?

Grettings,
    DB
    So whats wrong with Horde Primes Paint appts? From what I can see it looks the same. The packaged figure seems to have the same colors as the prototype.

Heroic Warrior
    It is not the last issue you'll see with this line

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    That's why they always add the "This is a prototype and may change" caveat. Every toy line does it and always has. It's just that these days the Internet gives us all manner of sneak previews of test shots & prototypes that, a few years ago, we would never be privvy to.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    So whats wrong with Horde Primes Paint appts? From what I can see it looks the same. The packaged figure seems to have the same colors as the prototype.
    The shoulder pads, the belt and the chest armor of the prototype have grey areas on them. These haven't been painted on the packaged figure - it's the same black as the plastic here. The same goes for all the silver rivets on his armor. They aren't painted on the final product.
    For customers like myself it's an easy fix (that shoouldn't be needed in the first place), but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    The shoulder pads, the belt and the chest armor of the prototype have grey areas on them. These haven't been painted on the packaged figure - it's the same black as the plastic here. The same goes for all the silver rivets on his armor. They aren't painted on the final product.
    For customers like myself it's an easy fix (that shoouldn't be needed in the first place), but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.
    Don't forget that they changed the ab crunch piece. This is even worse than the missing paint!